Page 30 of 52 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast
    N = R * fp * ne * fl * fi tank2003's Avatar
    tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by RadialDevial View Post
    I understand what caused it now that you’ve mentioned tendon injury. I did thick bar training and wrist curls a lot which definitely started all this. Straight bar doesnt cause any pain. How can i know if i shouldnt do something if im not feeling pain?
    Well, if it isnt causing pain, then it doesnt seem to me like its an issue. But check this video out and see if anythign applies to you

“That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.” - The Nameless City by HP Lovecraft
    "The higher the prevalence of infectious diseases the higher the probability of totalitarian political attitudes."
    -Dr. Jordan Peterson Sept 2017
    "The search for a moral equivalent of war continues to define American Liberalism to this day."

fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Which textbooks have you used, or which one would you think would be most useful to an educated brah? Already finished basic bio / ap / chem / orgo, and basic wellness / human development / nutrition... + micro, cell, and others ..
    Fluid's happy-sunshine-bright-feeling-for-you Fierce5 log -- now with REAL cheese!
    https://tinyurl.com/fluidzF5

tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by fluidZ View Post
    Which textbooks have you used, or which one would you think would be most useful to an educated brah? Already finished basic bio / ap / chem / orgo, and basic wellness / human development / nutrition... + micro, cell, and others ..
    No idea man. The only authors of books i recall were mcardle and katch. No idea why you would want to collect undergrad/grad level text books. chit is like reading enclyclopedias. If you are into cycling (literal bicycle) then you can read Will Peveler. He is my former Exercise Phys Professor. He has a few books on the subject. I think he has one or two on Triathlon training as well
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.” - The Nameless City by HP Lovecraft
    "The higher the prevalence of infectious diseases the higher the probability of totalitarian political attitudes."
    "The search for a moral equivalent of war continues to define American Liberalism to this day."

fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by tank2003 View Post
    No idea man. The only authors of books i recall were mcardle and katch. No idea why you would want to collect undergrad/grad level text books. chit is like reading enclyclopedias.
    Assumed that you learned your exercise physiology from classes which usually have textbooks to accompany lecture / lab. Textbooks generally have most of the information taught in classes. I learn well from textbooks.

Originally Posted by fluidZ View Post
    Assumed that you learned your exercise physiology from classes which usually have textbooks to accompany lecture / lab. Textbooks generally have most of the information taught in classes. I learn well from textbooks.
    well yeah. but most instructors (i imagine) dont go straight from the book because of the sheer amount of extra material. I still haev a ton of undergrad and grad level text books somewhere though

well yeah. but most instructors (i imagine) dont go straight from the book because of the sheer amount of extra material. I still haev a ton of undergrad and grad level text books somewhere though
    I should just check out the campus bookstore or email some profs...

Anyway, I did have a question... I've had issues w my squat, and my "coach" on here had me watch a bunch of Duffin videos... I'm still having issues with the "ribs down" cue, and I'm not sure if I should be tensing my abs like to take a punch, or if I should be sucking my gut in / trying to push belly button to spine.

I think I have finally gotten the belly full of air thing down though...

Pumpinmirin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Pumpinmirin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Pumpinmirin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Pumpinmirin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Pumpinmirin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Pumpinmirin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Pumpinmirin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Pumpinmirin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Pumpinmirin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Pumpinmirin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Pumpinmirin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hi Tank,

Saw your post in the injured back thread. I am currently seeing a physio for a bulging disc in the lower back. When the injury occurred I had pain all through my right hamstring and left lat. My back aches if I sit down for too long or I do any movement that causes flexion at the spine - i.e lifting things up, chopping wood. The physio has said he thinks its the L4 - L5. I've been rehabbing for about 3 weeks now and wanted to know a few things.

- Am I likely to ever reach a point where I won't ache? How will lifting be different for me in future when I finally get back into training?
    - I never visited a doctor about it or had a scan - is there any benefit in me going to see a GP for a scan or is this easy for a physio to diagnose? (keep in mind that in NZ we have something called ACC where the government pays for any treatment pertaining to injuries caused by an accident in the workplace. My ACC claim was submitted by the physio and has been approved.)
    - I've pretty much figured I'll have to give up deadlifting - what exercises would I need to do to replace these? I assume RDL's are also bad for the lower back with a disc injury.

Cheers bruv
    Last edited by Pumpinmirin; 04-11-2018 at 11:32 PM.

Originally Posted by Pumpinmirin View Post
    Hi Tank,

Saw your post in the injured back thread. I am currently seeing a physio for a bulging disc in the lower back. When the injury occurred I had pain all through my right hamstring and left lat. My back aches if I sit down for too long or I do any movement that causes flexion at the spine - i.e lifting things up, chopping wood. The physio has said he thinks its the L4 - L5. I've been rehabbing for about 3 weeks now and wanted to know a few things.

- Am I likely to ever reach a point where I won't ache? How will lifting be different for me in future when I finally get back into training?
    - I never visited a doctor about it or had a scan - is there any benefit in me going to see a GP for a scan or is this easy for a physio to diagnose? (keep in mind that in NZ we have something called ACC where the government pays for any treatment pertaining to injuries caused by an accident in the workplace. My ACC claim was submitted by the physio and has been approved.)
    - I've pretty much figured I'll have to give up deadlifting - what exercises would I need to do to replace these? I assume RDL's are also bad for the lower back with a disc injury.

Cheers bruv
    You DEFINITELY need an MRI or at the very least a CT scan to confirm a bulging disc. An X-Ray can give you a pretty good idea because you can compare the disc heights from joint to joint and one joint will sit at a funny angle because a bulging disc is like an ice cream sandwich: when you compress it, the ice cream comes out the side, which is what the disc does when the 2 vertebrae compress towards each other except in most cases, one side gets compressed MORE, so the disc gets forced out the opposite side of where it is being pinched. But ultimately, you do need an MRI/CT to confirm. Its most likely going to be a bulge @ l4/L5 or L5/S1 (L5/s1 is by far the most common place for bulging discs). When it bulges there, you will feel it in your glutes and hams and into your calves. I'm not sure why you'd feel it in your lats since they are innervated (the part of the Central Nervous system that provides the electrical impulse) in the cervical vertebra (C6, C7 & C8) so i'm not sure at all why you'd feel it there. Its possible you have a bulge there as well though.

-Yes you can fully recover depending on how big the bulge is and whether it is herniated or not (herniated is sometimes synonymous with bulging but really is when there is a crack in the disc, but the fluid in the disc isnt leaking out. When the fluid leaks out, its a complete rupture, but it takes a pretty forceful accident to herniate or rupture a disc. As far as rehab goes, there are several exercises you can do to help the disc slide back into its natural position. Personally, i would hold off on that until you get a 100% confirm Dx AFTER an MRI/CT so you know for sure because you dont want to mess with back issues like this. Take it from me bro.

-Even if it turns out you do need surgery (do EVERYTHING in your power to avoid surgery), then you can still make a full recovery and train just as hard after. You'll just need to take more care.

My advice, request a radiological exam to confirm the exact issue, ESPECIALLY the pain in your lats because that sounds like a neck problem (BTW, do you ever get numbness/tingling in your arms or the top of your chest after you sneeze really big or cough really loud?).

Here are a few videos of exercises and stretches for lumbar disc issues, though i would really put thought into these before you get an official Dx. Since the physio is sure, that seems good enough.

iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Is overtraining real?

Originally Posted by iloveus View Post
    Is overtraining real?
    Absolutely. But its likelihood is minimized if you are getting enough rest + nutritional intake. Overtraining symptoms imitate hypothyroid/gonadism:
    -sluggishness
    -low appetite
    -Getting sick easier
    -joint/muscle pain
    -regression (might lose gains; performance goes down)
    -insomnia
    -fukking migraines and headaches
    -impotence
    -DOMS last longer
    -Super fukking thirsty
    -I think you may even have trouble concentraiting
    -Depression
    -Your normal Heart rate is out of whack (can be high or low)

Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What's up brah just want some discussion on deadlift risk factors. Below is my post in a deadlift injury thread. To put into context this post was for a comment disregarding deadlifts and to pick other exercises for hypertrophy because it doesn't do jack to your physique and risk reward.

Originally Posted by Singularity7 View Post
    You better have a sizeable chunk of direct evidence that Deadlifts do not produce hypertrophy.
    One thing i would like to point out with deadlift injuries for bodybuilders specifically are the many variables that can go into it.

-How long have they been doing it consistently?
    -How long have they been doing it consistently without periodization (rep ranges, sets, intensity, relative intensity)?
    -How long have they been doing it consistently without planned deloads? Autoregulated planned deloads is all good etc but usually when you feel something is really off and decide next week to deload, you likely already needed to back of weeks ago.
    Not to mention the amount of stress in the joints and tendons that need to repair. Tendons do get very minuscule amounts of tearing over time and you do not feel it happening until it's too late.
    -How much systemic fatigue are they carrying with them?
    -How much local fatigue in the lower back are they carrying with them?
    -Overall are they recovering enough over microcycles to effectively progressively overload on the lift?
    -Bad form?
    -Pushing their limits with the exercise?

Only thing i agree with is that isn't mandatory to do deadlifts for physique purposes that a lot of people preach but it's a tool in the tool box that can be of use for variation etc.
    Also im not hating on you or coming at you. Just a discussion as the possible reasons why people get injured doing them. I just think it's poor form to completely disregard the exercise because of other people. Are we to trust that the people at face value who got injured (bless them and wish it didn't happen to them) they did everything correct, all the boxes were ticked? It's something i always think about when people say this and that.

That Tank dude i would really appreciate it mate if you would share more of your thoughts. I'll probs post this in your thread.
    Im of the belief that deadlifts can be used effectively for hypertrophy when all these variables are accounted for. To me it seems that even with good form if all the variables mentioned in my post are unchecked then good form that is parroted a lot is not the be all end all of minimizing injury.

Just want your thoughts on this idea. Appreciate the feed back brah.
    https://bandcamp.com/singularity7 - Music collection. Recommend albums. Always looking for more.

What's up brah just want some discussion on deadlift risk factors. Below is my post in a deadlift injury thread. To put into context this post was for a comment disregarding deadlifts and to pick other exercises for hypertrophy because it doesn't do jack to your physique and risk reward.

Im of the belief that deadlifts can be used effectively for hypertrophy when all these variables are accounted for. To me it seems that even with good form if all the variables mentioned in my post are unchecked then good form that is parroted a lot is not the be all end all of minimizing injury.

Just want your thoughts on this idea. Appreciate the feed back brah.
    Which thread was this in?

Here is the issue with deadlift: Its an effective tool to add to your hypertrophy workout but ONLY if you:
    1. NEVER allow gravity to determine the eccentric phase speed
    2. Adjust the height of the bar by either using 25 lb plates over 45s (so the bar is lower to the ground) -OR- placing something under your feet to raise you up a few inches. Both of these will:
    1. Make it a bit harder to complete your sets
    2. Increase your ROM which is the ENTIRE concept behind Eccentric strength training: Maximum Contractions WHILE the muscle is under tension

Can you HONESTLY say that YOU and YOU ALONE lower the load to the ground and gravity plays an absolute minimal role? I'm not trying to be combative by any means here, i just have the opinion that the deadlift, while it can be effective when the stars are aligned correctly, is over rated when they arent. In my eyes, Dead lift isnt that much different than bench press. We all know bench press is an ego lift and a poor representation of over all chest strength, yet it is an effective exercise when used in conjunction with a well designed chest routine. You can work and work at BP for months and end up with a respectable 1RM, but cant hop over to the DBs and workout with a comparable weight or even rep out a respectable number of push ups. To me, the dead lift isnt that much different. You can work hard and put up a decent 1RM, but still cant push out a repsectable squat (i get that the biomechanics of the lifts are different, but if DL is as effective for hypertrophy (and as a bi-product: strength) as you say, then there should be some parallel between a repsectable DL and a respectable squat. As far as i am concerned, DL incorporates to many muscle groups to be as effective on the legs as people want it to be

Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Which thread was this in?

Here is the issue with deadlift: Its an effective tool to add to your hypertrophy workout but ONLY if you:
    1. NEVER allow gravity to determine the eccentric phase speed
    2. Adjust the height of the bar by either using 25 lb plates over 45s (so the bar is lower to the ground) -OR- placing something under your feet to raise you up a few inches. Both of these will:
    1. Make it a bit harder to complete your sets
    2. Increase your ROM which is the ENTIRE concept behind Eccentric strength training: Maximum Contractions WHILE the muscle is under tension

Can you HONESTLY say that YOU and YOU ALONE lower the load to the ground and gravity plays an absolute minimal role? I'm not trying to be combative by any means here, i just have the opinion that the deadlift, while it can be effective when the stars are aligned correctly, is over rated when they arent. In my eyes, Dead lift isnt that much different than bench press. We all know bench press is an ego lift and a poor representation of over all chest strength, yet it is an effective exercise when used in conjunction with a well designed chest routine. You can work and work at BP for months and end up with a respectable 1RM, but cant hop over to the DBs and workout with a comparable weight or even rep out a respectable number of push ups. To me, the dead lift isnt that much different. You can work hard and put up a decent 1RM, but still cant push out a repsectable squat (i get that the biomechanics of the lifts are different, but if DL is as effective for hypertrophy (and as a bi-product: strength) as you say, then there should be some parallel between a repsectable DL and a respectable squat. As far as i am concerned, DL incorporates to many muscle groups to be as effective on the legs as people want it to be
    It was in that thread that asks people to share their stories on deadlifts injuries. You posted already in that thread mentioning the lowering of the bar and i think the pinching of something.

Personally for me i work the lift around 3 reps in reserve 75% of the time and 1 rir max. My current max now would probably be 140kg and now i only work Deads with weights 60-70% of that. Eccentric phase i arbitrarily make around 4 secs (something i picked up from watching Alberto Nunez and a few others then decided to looked more into). I'm currently using it for Glute work and some hamstrings with other exercises.

From what i understand from what you said. In order for deadlifts to be more effective for legs (I'm personally looking at this more from the hamstring perspective) is that the ROM needs to be increased? From what i know hamstring come into play more when the knees are straight and when you hip hinge?
    From some of the reading I've done in the recent days. Only the top part of the concentric phase is when hamstrings come more into play as a synergist instead of a stabiliser. If i am interpreting this correctly it's a relatively poor exercise for hamstrings and more for glutes and other muscles. Is that right?

Cheers for the info brah.
    https://bandcamp.com/singularity7 - Music collection. Recommend albums. Always looking for more.

It was in that thread that asks people to share their stories on deadlifts injuries. You posted already in that thread mentioning the lowering of the bar and i think the pinching of something.

Personally for me i work the lift around 3 reps in reserve 75% of the time and 1 rir max. My current max now would probably be 140kg and now i only work Deads with weights 60-70% of that. Eccentric phase i arbitrarily make around 4 secs (something i picked up from watching Alberto Nunez and a few others then decided to looked more into). I'm currently using it for Glute work and some hamstrings with other exercises.

From what i understand from what you said. In order for deadlifts to be more effective for legs (I'm personally looking at this more from the hamstring perspective) is that the ROM needs to be increased? From what i know hamstring come into play more when the knees are straight and when you hip hinge?
    From some of the reading I've done in the recent days. Only the top part of the concentric phase is when hamstrings come more into play as a synergist instead of a stabiliser. If i am interpreting this correctly it's a relatively poor exercise for hamstrings and more for glutes and other muscles. Is that right?

Cheers for the info brah.
    You are correct about hamstrings. The primary action of the hams is to extend the trunk (thrust the hips forward; opposite of the hip hinge). The hams also bend the knee, but they are MUCH more involved in extension of the low back.

If you REALLY give the full 3 seconds to eccentric phase then you are getting almost a full benefit out of the DL, but you might want to think about increasing your ROM especially if you hit a plateau. I exchanged 45's with 25's on a plateau once for two weeks then tried my 1RM. Not only did i bust through it, but i felt like my rom ws cut in half when i loaded the 45s back on. But it really is a shock when you are use to the ROM with Lg plates then going to smaller ones (which i would reccomend that over standing on something because my balance, while it is very good, made me feel a bit uneasy on my heavier attempts).

If you are looking for a HUGE hamstring builder, then check this out:

You are correct about hamstrings. The primary action of the hams is to extend the trunk (thrust the hips forward; opposite of the hip hinge). The hams also bend the knee, but they are MUCH more involved in extension of the low back.

If you REALLY give the full 3 seconds to eccentric phase then you are getting almost a full benefit out of the DL, but you might want to think about increasing your ROM especially if you hit a plateau. I exchanged 45's with 25's on a plateau once for two weeks then tried my 1RM. Not only did i bust through it, but i felt like my rom ws cut in half when i loaded the 45s back on. But it really is a shock when you are use to the ROM with Lg plates then going to smaller ones (which i would reccomend that over standing on something because my balance, while it is very good, made me feel a bit uneasy on my heavier attempts).

If you are looking for a HUGE hamstring builder, then check this out:
    Yea back in the day when i was training more for str i did a lot of deficit deadlifts. Funnily enough it was probs the most delicious exercise for my hams when i did those.
    Deficit deads will defs make the rotation for me. Don't have 25lb plates just standard olympic size ones since i have a home gym.
    Man was watching Alberto Nunez do those GDRs and lot of people i trust swear by them. When i did go to a gym just before they my membership expired they got one and i tried it out. It was pretty fukn tough. That vid definitely helps for a home gym and gives me some ideas on trying to set one up.

iChitUNot will become famous soon enough. (+50) iChitUNot will become famous soon enough. (+50) iChitUNot will become famous soon enough. (+50) iChitUNot will become famous soon enough. (+50) iChitUNot will become famous soon enough. (+50) iChitUNot will become famous soon enough. (+50) iChitUNot will become famous soon enough. (+50) iChitUNot will become famous soon enough. (+50) iChitUNot will become famous soon enough. (+50) iChitUNot will become famous soon enough. (+50) iChitUNot will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Saw you mention on the 2nd page that head on the bench is a point of contact. I tend to raise my head as I lower the weight since it feels more comfortable - I tried to keep it touching the bench after someone pointed it out but I had to use more effort to stop myself from raising my head which didn't feel great. Could you explain why keeping your head on the bench is better than raising it? Is it safer even if you have to strain and don't feel as comfortable when you keep it down?

There seems to be a lot of different opinions on this online so would like your take on it.

Originally Posted by iChitUNot View Post
    Saw you mention on the 2nd page that head on the bench is a point of contact. I tend to raise my head as I lower the weight since it feels more comfortable - I tried to keep it touching the bench after someone pointed it out but I had to use more effort to stop myself from raising my head which didn't feel great. Could you explain why keeping your head on the bench is better than raising it? Is it safer even if you have to strain and don't feel as comfortable when you keep it down?

There seems to be a lot of different opinions on this online so would like your take on it.
    Well, lifting your head is more or less a reflex to the stress of the bench press, especially under heavy weight. You see, you engage your back muscles to help stabilize the load on the eccentric phase, especially the middle fibers of the traps. But to raise your head, you engage the sternocleidomastoid, while not innervated by the same nerves as the chest or delts, it still tends to fire, as do many of the surrounding muscles. So often times, its harder to tell yourself to relax the muscle and let your head rest ont he bench. But doing so (teaching yourself to keep your head on the bench) saves a few kcals that can be used for the load on the chest

Agafist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Agafist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Agafist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Agafist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Agafist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Agafist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Agafist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Agafist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Agafist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Agafist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Agafist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How do I get back into lifting without snapping my **** up?
    cliffs from two months ago
    - first week back at uni
    - did at least some lifting in various gyms over summer break to keep fitness from going to absolute shyt
    - first workout of the year in uni gym going relatively well
    - decide to 1rm squat 100kg to round off workout
    - do not have a spotter
    - this does not go well
    - back goes forward, bar bounces off back before I reach snap city
    - main stressed area was L1 (below ribcage), no permanent joint or nerve damage
    - every muscle still seizes the fuk up in back, no muscle relaxes at all for at least 2-3 weeks
    - basically could walk/ride bike still but couldn't bend my back at all for ages
    - now after physio back to pretty much full mobility except lower back sometimes gets a bit sore in cold weather/after a really long day
    Getting back into gym finally since physio gave the green light, am I best off starting stronglifts from literally just the bar or is there some other precaution I should be taking? Don't want to go to snap city again
    cheers brah

Originally Posted by Agafist View Post
    How do I get back into lifting without snapping my **** up?
    cliffs from two months ago
    - first week back at uni
    - did at least some lifting in various gyms over summer break to keep fitness from going to absolute shyt
    - first workout of the year in uni gym going relatively well
    - decide to 1rm squat 100kg to round off workout
    - do not have a spotter
    - this does not go well
    - back goes forward, bar bounces off back before I reach snap city
    - main stressed area was L1 (below ribcage), no permanent joint or nerve damage
    - every muscle still seizes the fuk up in back, no muscle relaxes at all for at least 2-3 weeks
    - basically could walk/ride bike still but couldn't bend my back at all for ages
    - now after physio back to pretty much full mobility except lower back sometimes gets a bit sore in cold weather/after a really long day
    Getting back into gym finally since physio gave the green light, am I best off starting stronglifts from literally just the bar or is there some other precaution I should be taking? Don't want to go to snap city again
    cheers brah
    I would say definitely start low and easy. I myself did legs today and my squat sets were (pause sets):
    1.) 135 x 10 (61 kg)
    2.) 155 x 10 (70 kg)
    3.) 185 x 10 (83 kg)

Ive got such bad arthritis and sciatica that i HAVE to take great care when i back squat. When i get to around 225 lbs (102 kg) or 250 (113 kg) then i'll lower the weight and do front squat. For you i'd recommend starting with front squat until you know FOR SURE your spine is ready for back squat

NEXTEPICBULG91 is a name known to all. (+5000) NEXTEPICBULG91 is a name known to all. (+5000) NEXTEPICBULG91 is a name known to all. (+5000) NEXTEPICBULG91 is a name known to all. (+5000) NEXTEPICBULG91 is a name known to all. (+5000) NEXTEPICBULG91 is a name known to all. (+5000) NEXTEPICBULG91 is a name known to all. (+5000) NEXTEPICBULG91 is a name known to all. (+5000) NEXTEPICBULG91 is a name known to all. (+5000) NEXTEPICBULG91 is a name known to all. (+5000) NEXTEPICBULG91 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    so this more of an anatomy question than physiology but id greatly appreciate any input

so i have this sharp pain, its not directly in my back but its adjacent to the left side of my collarbone. I dont really feel the pain unless if im sitting/driving for long periods of time. when im standing I almost never feel it.

I can do stuff around it, but recently the pain has gotten worse and its more frequent. im going to get it checked out but would you have any idea what this could possibly be without exactly seeing it?
    San Diego Chargers and Minny Twolves all day baby!!

Suny Buffalo Reppin!!

Originally Posted by NEXTEPICBULG91 View Post
    so this more of an anatomy question than physiology but id greatly appreciate any input

so i have this sharp pain, its not directly in my back but its adjacent to the left side of my collarbone. I dont really feel the pain unless if im sitting/driving for long periods of time. when im standing I almost never feel it.

I can do stuff around it, but recently the pain has gotten worse and its more frequent. im going to get it checked out but would you have any idea what this could possibly be without exactly seeing it?
    sounds like nerve is being pinched or impinged. I would wager that sitting/driving isnt EXACTLY what is causing it, but rather you not being moving a ton (at the shoulders that is, but also rotating at the hips as well). It would be kind of hard to do some shoulder circles int he car but try doing some light stretches once an hour...ish in the office and see if that helps. Prolonged sitting is pretty bad for us int he first place and muscles tend to tense up pulling bones and bones in random directions so there really is no telling what is going on

kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I fratcired my ankle feb 24. Recovery is going well, I’d say I am 95%. It’s still really swollen though. I was hoping to play gockey next month but I dunno if it would even fit in my skate.

How long will it be swollen and is there anything I can do to help it?

I have a plate as. Screws in it.

Originally Posted by kingofturtles View Post
    I fratcired my ankle feb 24. Recovery is going well, I’d say I am 95%. It’s still really swollen though. I was hoping to play gockey next month but I dunno if it would even fit in my skate.

How long will it be swollen and is there anything I can do to help it?

I have a plate as. Screws in it.
    Edema in the lower legs takes a good bit longer to dissipate for a few reasons, mainly being that the blood pressure tends to be lower being so far from the heart. So that's less pressure to push the fluid on. Try compression wraps or compression socks. I rolled mine REALLY bad in high school RIGHT before our first soccer game of my junior year (~october-ish). Never saw a doc about it and it was still giving me issues when we got knocked out of the play offs (end of jan). I got the swelling to go down a bit by propping my leg up on a wall (with my back on the floor) for about 30 minutes, a few times a day. Also, I took 2 foot tubs, filled one with ice water and one with hot water (as hot as i could stand). Soak my foot in each for about 5 minutes. The heat opens up the blood vessels and encourages circulation while the cold water constricts and helps push fluids out. Probably wont get it all but should help you out some

jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Think I fukked my left elbow doing incline DB presses.

My elbows usually pop on my first rep but today my left one didn’t really pop. Can’t remember what rep it was on but when my elbows were extended i felt some pain and for a quick brief moment I thought it was going to give out. Felt like I was about to drop an 80lb DB on my face but I managed to bring it down slowly and not die.

Now I feel some pain in my elbow when I extend it (in between the olecranon process and medial epicondyle) and some muscle pain along my radius. The pain isn’t excruciating, I’m even using a 25lb DB I have in my room to do overhead tricep extensions (helps pop my elbow and relieve tightness I’m feeling) and feel ok. Just never had this pain so I’m wondering if it’s only a strain or tendonitis, or if I don goofed and tore something.

Obviously I know to go to the doc if pain continues, just wondering your opinion on what you think it can be.
    Follow my IG @kaseyx_music and listen to me on Spotify

Buy my sticker: kaseyx.bigcartel.com

Originally Posted by jesusxchrist View Post
    Think I fukked my left elbow doing incline DB presses.

My elbows usually pop on my first rep but today my left one didn’t really pop. Can’t remember what rep it was on but when my elbows were extended i felt some pain and for a quick brief moment I thought it was going to give out. Felt like I was about to drop an 80lb DB on my face but I managed to bring it down slowly and not die.

Now I feel some pain in my elbow when I extend it (in between the olecranon process and medial epicondyle) and some muscle pain along my radius. The pain isn’t excruciating, I’m even using a 25lb DB I have in my room to do overhead tricep extensions (helps pop my elbow and relieve tightness I’m feeling) and feel ok. Just never had this pain so I’m wondering if it’s only a strain or tendonitis, or if I don goofed and tore something.

Obviously I know to go to the doc if pain continues, just wondering your opinion on what you think it can be.
    If the pain is in between the olecranon process and the medial epi, then that is around the ulnar groove where the ulnar nerve passes through (aka your funny bone). Do you feel any nerve related pain into you hands/fingers? Specificially, the Ulnar nerve innervates the pinky and lateral side of the ring finger and when i say "nerve pain," i mean any kind of nerve pain out there: itching, burning, stinging, lightning pain, dull, numbness etc

So it frequently pops but doesnt really hurt ever? Sounds like slapping tricep syndrome.

Country ass chit thedarrenestes's Avatar
    thedarrenestes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarrenestes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarrenestes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarrenestes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarrenestes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarrenestes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarrenestes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarrenestes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarrenestes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarrenestes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarrenestes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    damn man. thats beyond my pay grade and i wouldnt feel comfortable making a suggestion anyway. You have too severe of an issue for a non-professional (and i mean an MD or a PT) to give you advice or prescribe you a course load. I would imagine that scar tissue is a huge part of your problem though
    Just wanted to follow up as you damn near hit it on the head...that was your response to this:

Originally Posted by thedarrenestes View Post
    But last week for the first time since surgery, I went for a heavy lower day. Probably half dozen 4-6 max reps on squats, heavy presses, and a few failure sets on the hack sled.
    Everything felt good leaving the gym...during none of the sets did anything feel different….
    ...my operated on knee is still extremely stiff...i cant bend it anywhere near where i could before that day. I can only get about 90deg without assistance and maybe just beyond 90 with help. I can straighten it out all the way but it takes effort. All the while it feels like every tendon/ligament is pulled as tight as can be pulled. Also when extended all the way out, i really cant flex my outter quad at all...like if were going to attempt to mirror flex my quads, id be unable to do so with my knee locked out.
    Turns out I had formed a Baker's cyst in my knee and the ortho pretty much told me ice and rest were really all that could be done for it...
    He said if it seems to get worse to come back and they'd put a needle to it but it tends to just form right back again.

It does seem to be coming down at a snail's pace but i still have at least a golf ball sized cyst behind my knee.
    It really just inhibits my ROM more than anything and I really can't find anything other than generic WebMD type chit about whether i can continue to train it all, or if i should leave it alone
    My left leg is a shell of it's former self already and gets bloat-mogged all to hell by my right leg....it's almost cartoonish at this point. I'm guessing i just have to be subconsciously favoring my right leg in day to day stuff.
    But am i good to leave humanity behind and get after leg days again? Even if quarter squats for now...or should I wait until i have full 100% ROM again?
    Nascar American
    HA
    LVIIILLIAN

Originally Posted by thedarrenestes View Post
    Just wanted to follow up as you damn near hit it on the head...that was your response to this:

Turns out I had formed a Baker's cyst in my knee and the ortho pretty much told me ice and rest were really all that could be done for it...
    He said if it seems to get worse to come back and they'd put a needle to it but it tends to just form right back again.

It does seem to be coming down at a snail's pace but i still have at least a golf ball sized cyst behind my knee.
    It really just inhibits my ROM more than anything and I really can't find anything other than generic WebMD type chit about whether i can continue to train it all, or if i should leave it alone
    My left leg is a shell of it's former self already and gets bloat-mogged all to hell by my right leg....it's almost cartoonish at this point. I'm guessing i just have to be subconsciously favoring my right leg in day to day stuff.
    But am i good to leave humanity behind and get after leg days again? Even if quarter squats for now...or should I wait until i have full 100% ROM again?
    Glad to hear you got it looked at. I'm surprised the doc didnt asiprated it (drain it). How bad does it hurt? I would say that you just do what you are comfortable doing. If you can only achieve a 75% ROM, then go with that as long as it doesnt aggravate the cyst and make it bigger. Also they are ususally caused by knee arthritis and a torn meniscus. Got either of those? COmpression wraps, ice and corticosteroid medications (Rx though) are the standard treatment protocols

Agafist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Agafist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Agafist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Agafist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Agafist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Agafist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Agafist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Agafist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Agafist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Agafist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Agafist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Should I go back to physio to get my lower back checked? It's been 10 weeks of nogym and I'm just getting back into it after physio gave me the green light.
    Original injury was something I posted earlier in thread, I was going for a 1rm 100kg squat and almost ended up in snapcity instead. Every muscle in back seized up and no permanent joint or nerve damage, but lower back starts to ache towards end of gym sessions (only had two gym sessions so far). Is this a leftover from the injury or are the muscles just relatively unused and tire out faster as a result?

tl;dr - I've been lifting really light since my injury, so I want to nail form and keep my spine safe, but just basically seeing if it's worth getting this checked up on
    cheers
    Last edited by Agafist; 05-02-2018 at 10:45 PM. Reason: clarity

Country ass chit thedarrenestes's Avatar
    thedarrenestes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarrenestes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarrenestes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarrenestes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarrenestes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarrenestes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarrenestes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarrenestes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarrenestes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarrenestes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarrenestes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Glad to hear you got it looked at. I'm surprised the doc didnt asiprated it (drain it). How bad does it hurt? I would say that you just do what you are comfortable doing. If you can only achieve a 75% ROM, then go with that as long as it doesnt aggravate the cyst and make it bigger. Also they are ususally caused by knee arthritis and a torn meniscus. Got either of those? COmpression wraps, ice and corticosteroid medications (Rx though) are the standard treatment protocols
    Yea I had ACL repaired and torn meniscus shaved out about 6mo ago. I was about to be full cleared medically and decided to really push a lower day.
    Cyst formed immediately after that first max day...
    He offered to drain it but warned that it would likely just form right back....and since it didnt affect day to day life, advised to just let it run it's own course.

There is no pain with it and even tho its real life only the size of a golfball, it feels much bigger. It feels like if you had a softball pressed against the back of your leg and tried to squat down.
    No pain other than i feel it stressing all my ligaments when i bend too far

I feel like i can power off my knee 100% but dont want to cause the cyst to grow, or prevent from ever going away too

I think I have pretty much convinced myself to let it go away before pushing it again. Maybe I just needed to lay on Tank2003's couch and talk it out

A bro split of all chest/back/arms sounds fun for the next few more weeks/months.

Feel free to bill Cigna for your troubles. They should know me well by now
    Nascar American
    HA
    LVIIILLIAN

nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Not a question so much as an observation about heavy pressing while losing 100+ lbs of fat.

When I was still quite heavy I learned to press correctly and was able to get super tight at the bottom before either OHP and bench. Everything felt solid and pressing felt great.

Now that I am down more than 100 lbs I am finding that my biomechanics have gone to hell. All of that extra material that is now missing has left what is essentially "gaps" in my tightness and I am really struggling with getting and staying tight while pressing.

I have decided to drop the weight way back and relearn these movements while incorporating shoulder strength and mobility exercises.
    Eat in a deficit to lose weight.
    Hit your protein and fat minimums to stay healthy and keep your gainz.
    Lift heavy and do HIIT to look and feel awesome.
    Use the internet to learn why you should do these things and how to do these things.