Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    N = R * fp * ne * fl * fi tank2003's Avatar
    tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Preventative measures:
    *Train your shoulders (Delts AND Rotator Cuff Muscles).
    RC Training:

These are just a few types of exercises. Basically all you need to remember, is to recreate an arm wrestling motion (and its reverse motion as well. 1 single RC muscle is responsible for humeral abduction, which is this:

Stretching is important to.

Here is one for popping:

Here is some stretching mistakes.

*I always offer advice when it comes to the shoulders, knees and low back. ALWAYS train them and never neglect them. these are the 3 joints that can f*ck your life up when you REALLy injure them*

My other problem is in my knee. I've had one my knee's popping without any pain when I squat. IIRC it happened on day when I was stretching my hamstring. It felt like I stretched it too far. The next week my knee was swollen, and after the swelling went down, my knee was popping. There is no weakness or anything, just popping. Sometimes it pops whenever I straighten out my leg and dorsiflex my ankle.

Pls help
    this might be above my paygrade, but i would say that 1: Popping is somewhat normal. Its usually CO2 escaping the joint, or perhaps a tendon moving around the patella and literally makes a POPPING sound/motion (like a rubber band). to a certain degree, its not that big of a deal, but when pain its, there is more at work. There is potentially quite a few causes (It can originate fromt eh hips or in the ankle) and youd need to do a specific test to eliminate what it isnt. In lieu of going into GREAT detail, i'll just refer you to these videos:

As you train and hone in on what MIGHT be the problem, then youtube Athlean-X, BUFF Dudes or Alan Thrall
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.” - The Nameless City by HP Lovecraft
    "The higher the prevalence of infectious diseases the higher the probability of totalitarian political attitudes."
    -Dr. Jordan Peterson Sept 2017
    "The search for a moral equivalent of war continues to define American Liberalism to this day."

tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by CelticBhoy View Post
    Okay. You state that eating smaller, more frequent meals increases your metabolism. But some of the research suggests that this is - at best - minimal. http://www.alanaragonblog.com/wp-con...a-analysis.pdf
    https://www.elitefts.com/education/d...my-metabolism/

Would you say that both caloric intake and percentage(s) of macros are more important?

I currently do an upper/lower split, (a mix between Dr. Casey Butts and Lyle McDonald's generic bulking routine) as a natural trainee.

You state that you can increase natural testosterone can be increased by IF. How?
    Well, its pretty much impossible to boost your metabolism. that is just a clever wording. By eating multiple small meals per day, you KEEP your metabolism up. Look at it like this. You are camping and wake up one morning and the fire has died down to embers. The BEST way to get a fire going again is to feed it. Would you throw a huge red oak on it? It will eventually burn, but takes forever. What you need to do is throw kinlin on it. In SERE, they taught us to use pencil lead sized kinlin FIRST, then progress to Pine needle size, then twigs, then so on.
    When you starve yourself and eat a huge meal at night is sooooooo bad.

The basic principle to take away is to keep the fire at a medium burn. You do this by routinely eating feeding. When you throw a huge log, it takes FOREVER to burn. The goal is to keep your Metabolism to stay steady and that will really make you feel good and dominate at the gym.
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.” - The Nameless City by HP Lovecraft
    "The higher the prevalence of infectious diseases the higher the probability of totalitarian political attitudes."
    "The search for a moral equivalent of war continues to define American Liberalism to this day."

iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by tank2003 View Post
    Well, its pretty much impossible to boost your metabolism. that is just a clever wording. By eating multiple small meals per day, you KEEP your metabolism up. Look at it like this. You are camping and wake up one morning and the fire has died down to embers. The BEST way to get a fire going again is to feed it. Would you throw a huge red oak on it? It will eventually burn, but takes forever. What you need to do is throw kinlin on it. In SERE, they taught us to use pencil lead sized kinlin FIRST, then progress to Pine needle size, then twigs, then so on.
    When you starve yourself and eat a huge meal at night is sooooooo bad.

The basic principle to take away is to keep the fire at a medium burn. You do this by routinely eating feeding. When you throw a huge log, it takes FOREVER to burn. The goal is to keep your Metabolism to stay steady and that will really make you feel good and dominate at the gym.
    So IF is bullchit.
    Financial Freedom/Passive Income Crew
    Entrepreneur Crew
    MMA Crew
    Cinematographer Crew
    Photographer Crew
    Ski/Snowboard Crew
    Guns Crew

Originally Posted by iloveus View Post
    So IF is bullchit.
    No. its just another fad diet mean to shred pounds At a super sonic pace. The problem is that the fad diets that melt the falt off, are the easiest to regain them once you go back to your normal way

iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What does insulin and carb sensitivity have to do with bodybuilding? In terms of both hypertrophy and strength?

My endo told me that most of her Type 1 diabetic weightlifters tend to be insulin sensitive and thus don't take as much as normal diabetics would especially when it comes to weight management and low carb diets. I need some further elaboration on this.
    Entrepreneur Crew
    MMA Crew
    Cinematographer Crew
    Photographer Crew
    Ski/Snowboard Crew
    Guns Crew

TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz
    Never shall I fail my comrades, I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong, and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be, one hundred percent and then some

What does insulin and carb sensitivity have to do with bodybuilding? In terms of both hypertrophy and strength?

My endo told me that most of her Type 1 diabetic weightlifters tend to be insulin sensitive and thus don't take as much as normal diabetics would especially when it comes to weight management and low carb diets. I need some further elaboration on this.
    Hypertrophy is the increase in muscle fascia where as hyperplasia is the increase in the number of muscle fibers.Hypertrophy makes your muscles BIGGER where as hyperplasia increases the number of sheer muscle.
    Hypertrophy builds the already existing muscles and hyperplasia increases the sheer number. plasia means to increase in in size NOT number of muscle fascia. I doesnt have a lot to do with TID that i know of

Originally Posted by TheDukeUSMC View Post
    Never shall I fail my comrades, I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong, and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be, one hundred percent and then some
    Gallantly will I show the world that I am a specially selected and well-trained Soldier. My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow.

FlexLex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlexLex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlexLex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlexLex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlexLex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlexLex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlexLex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlexLex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlexLex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlexLex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlexLex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I read through most of this thread, extremely factual stuff. Actually impressed at how spot on a lot of what Tank says is evidence based and used in most rehab practices. With that said, a lot of what is being proposed here for various injuries/ailments is definitely generally good advice for prevention and maintenance. I think my profession (PT) could benefit from having exercise professionals in clinic, specifically for higher level patients who want to get back to athletics/sport, etc.

Originally Posted by flexnation View Post
    Ive been dealing with an SI joint dysfunction for the last 3-4 months now. Cant deadlift without a severe shooting pain down my leg. Squats will aggravate it if i don't properly warm up and make sure i brace on every rep. For the most part i can manage during lifting but its during the day that it bothers me most. Been trying to rehab it myself but I'm wondering if you have any advice on how to go about things. Is it a matter of strengthening my core and making sure that my hips are mobile/strong enough to hold specific positions or is there more i should be doing? I just got Stewart Mcguills Back Mechanic book and am going to read through that.
    The first step here is determining where the issue is located. A high percentage of LBP is diagnosed as an SI Dysfunction on mistake. The SI joint itself barring any traumatic injury is an extremely stable joint surrounded by dense fibrous ligaments. The literature coming out is supporting the notion that it moves very little, and only around 10% of sciatic/leg pain is due to SI.

Regardless, it wont hurt to do pelvic stabilization exercises, focus on glute strengthening, dynamic stab, single leg stab, etc.

Originally Posted by Rayaarito View Post
    I'm trying to correct my anterior pelvic tilt. Right now, I'm stretching my hip flexors and foam rolling my lower back & hip flexors every morning and sometimes night.

From my understanding, I have to strengthen my abs, glutes and hamstrings. And also my big toe to prevent flat feet which can lead to APT. For hamstrings, i'll just be using the machines at the gym. For glutes, I'll do kick backs at home. For the foots arch I'll be doing that towel scrunch thing. But for abs, I've been a little iffy since everything pretty much uses the hip flexors. I've found exercises that 'turns off' the hip flexors for the upper abs, but not for the lower. Which leads to my question:

What lower ab workouts can i do that doesn't use my hip flexors?
    Planks, side planks, ab bracing. Any movement that bends the low spine will cause some activation of hip flexors, because of their origin point. Abdominal activation in a hip extension or neutral position will strengthen the abdominals without this.

If your goal is to strengthen the arch of the foot youd be better off strengthening the lateral everters and Tibialis twins. Threse muscles insert on the bottom of the foot and help to strengthen the arch. Most of the time you wont notice much difference, even after a rigorous strengthening program, a lot is genetic and depends on bony anatomy. If you truly are having foot/knee or even hip problems from an over pronating flat foot, its best to get an orthotic.

I'm diabetic(Type 1). My endocronolgist told me to never do a full on keto diet becasue it could cause ketoacidosis. She said low carb is fine becasue muscles only use glycogen for fuel.

What happens when the body goes to ketoacidosis?

How does a keto diet make the body go on ketoacidosis?

I thought muscles can use fat as fuel but my endo says gycogen is the only fuel source?
    Muscles can use fat for fuel. The breakdown/composition of fat vs glycogen for muscle energy usage is determined by several variables including how well trained you are, muscle fiber type, and intensity of activity. Generally, the higher you are trained and the lower the intensity (as measured %VO2Max) increases the % fat used. Your doctor is likely just over simplifying a complex metabolic process for lack of time. In short, adipose is stored as a triglyceride (either in adipose tissue itself or intramuscularly) and in the FFA in blood. You cant readily use fat from adipose tissue during activity in high relative amounts, but you CAN use a high percent of intramuscular fat (think marbling of a steak, not the fat on the outside)

As a diabetic, you do not produce insulin, which means you can have high levels of sugar in the blood but the body cannot use it. The body then turns to other means for energy--backups like fat and protein. In the metabolic use of fat ketone bodies are released as waste. In a normal individual, blood glucose is used alongside fat. In a diabetic without insulin, the body can breakdown ketones faster because it thinks it needs to (doesnt know sugar is there). This can lower blood pH which interferes with enzyme function, highly dangerous. As the guy above mentioned, tell tale symptoms resemble drunkness with a fruitty-ness to the breath.

Originally Posted by KingofLifts View Post
    I've got two major problems:

Both of my shoulders are fuked. I have been unable to progress past 225 in the bench for the past 5 years due to re-injuring my shoulder over and over again.

In certain positions my shoulder pops out of the socket (aka bringing my arms closer to my body, like im hugging something). If however i spread my arms out to the sides there seems to be a tightness running down from my neck all the way through my elbow, like a tendon thats stuck or something. Also if i massage a certain spot on my scapula there seems to pain shooting through my anterior deltoid, or front of the shoulder. I've been doing more back exercises because I believed it would help balance out the muscles, but it seems that my back is getting tighter as well as my shoulders.

My other problem is in my knee. I've had one my knee's popping without any pain when I squat. IIRC it happened on day when I was stretching my hamstring. It felt like I stretched it too far. The next week my knee was swollen, and after the swelling went down, my knee was popping. There is no weakness or anything, just popping. Sometimes it pops whenever I straighten out my leg and dorsiflex my ankle.

Pls help
    Not much to add from what was mentioned above. Its extremely hard to diagnose shoulder injuries in people at the tissue level without imaging. As clinicians we have clusters of special tests which can give a general sense of what may be wrong with an x% reliability. Generally, most common injuries to have similar courses of rehab which makes things easier. Bench pressing itself is not a gentle/friendly move on the shoulder. Try switching to DB presses when going heavy. On shoulder days strengthen below 90 degrees of flexion. See if you can calm it down and then work bench back in at lower weight and progress upwards.

As for the knee, as Tank said popping/clicking/cracking of joints is common if they are painless. A catching/locking of the knee is different and may be indicative of a meniscal tear. Knees can take a bit longer to heal than say and ankle or hip. If its still bothering you I tend to recommend 15-20 mins of biking per day, swimming activities, and walking. Stay away from end range bending until it is not painful. Keep it moving.
    Phila crew
    Healthcare Crew

Originally Posted by FlexLex View Post
    I read through most of this thread, extremely factual stuff. Actually impressed at how spot on a lot of what Tank says is evidence based and used in most rehab practices. With that said, a lot of what is being proposed here for various injuries/ailments is definitely generally good advice for prevention and maintenance. I think my profession (PT) could benefit from having exercise professionals in clinic, specifically for higher level patients who want to get back to athletics/sport, etc.

The first step here is determining where the issue is located. A high percentage of LBP is diagnosed as an SI Dysfunction on mistake. The SI joint itself barring any traumatic injury is an extremely stable joint surrounded by dense fibrous ligaments. The literature coming out is supporting the notion that it moves very little, and only around 10% of sciatic/leg pain is due to SI.

Regardless, it wont hurt to do pelvic stabilization exercises, focus on glute strengthening, dynamic stab, single leg stab, etc.

Planks, side planks, ab bracing. Any movement that bends the low spine will cause some activation of hip flexors, because of their origin point. Abdominal activation in a hip extension or neutral position will strengthen the abdominals without this.

If your goal is to strengthen the arch of the foot youd be better off strengthening the lateral everters and Tibialis twins. Threse muscles insert on the bottom of the foot and help to strengthen the arch. Most of the time you wont notice much difference, even after a rigorous strengthening program, a lot is genetic and depends on bony anatomy. If you truly are having foot/knee or even hip problems from an over pronating flat foot, its best to get an orthotic.

Muscles can use fat for fuel. The breakdown/composition of fat vs glycogen for muscle energy usage is determined by several variables including how well trained you are, muscle fiber type, and intensity of activity. Generally, the higher you are trained and the lower the intensity (as measured %VO2Max) increases the % fat used. Your doctor is likely just over simplifying a complex metabolic process for lack of time. In short, adipose is stored as a triglyceride (either in adipose tissue itself or intramuscularly) and in the FFA in blood. You cant readily use fat from adipose tissue during activity in high relative amounts, but you CAN use a high percent of intramuscular fat (think marbling of a steak, not the fat on the outside)

As a diabetic, you do not produce insulin, which means you can have high levels of sugar in the blood but the body cannot use it. The body then turns to other means for energy--backups like fat and protein. In the metabolic use of fat ketone bodies are released as waste. In a normal individual, blood glucose is used alongside fat. In a diabetic without insulin, the body can breakdown ketones faster because it thinks it needs to (doesnt know sugar is there). This can lower blood pH which interferes with enzyme function, highly dangerous. As the guy above mentioned, tell tale symptoms resemble drunkness with a fruitty-ness to the breath.

Not much to add from what was mentioned above. Its extremely hard to diagnose shoulder injuries in people at the tissue level without imaging. As clinicians we have clusters of special tests which can give a general sense of what may be wrong with an x% reliability. Generally, most common injuries to have similar courses of rehab which makes things easier. Bench pressing itself is not a gentle/friendly move on the shoulder. Try switching to DB presses when going heavy. On shoulder days strengthen below 90 degrees of flexion. See if you can calm it down and then work bench back in at lower weight and progress upwards.

As for the knee, as Tank said popping/clicking/cracking of joints is common if they are painless. A catching/locking of the knee is different and may be indicative of a meniscal tear. Knees can take a bit longer to heal than say and ankle or hip. If its still bothering you I tend to recommend 15-20 mins of biking per day, swimming activities, and walking. Stay away from end range bending until it is not painful. Keep it moving.
    Flex Nailed it. To the wall. I welcomes other miscers who know what they are talking about. Personally, the is what i envision when i am listening to the questions by people.

Im sure flex does too.

chunkdouglas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chunkdouglas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chunkdouglas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chunkdouglas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chunkdouglas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chunkdouglas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chunkdouglas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chunkdouglas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chunkdouglas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chunkdouglas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chunkdouglas has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hey OP, thanks for the great thread.

I'm not sure if you have experience with this, but I have chronic bursitis in both of my feet. Foot doctor told me that I need to lose weight, so that's what I've been doing. I'm in the 260s range right now, but I've lost over 100lbs over the last few years. On to my question. Do you think that I should avoid exercises like squats that put so much pressure on my feet. I was doing Stronglifts 5x5 for a few weeks. It felt great and I loved the enhanced mobility and strength that the program gave me over those few weeks, but it ended when I had a bad flair up of my bursitis in my right foot. I'm not sure if it was the squats and other exercises, but it had been a while since I'd had a flair up like that. If there's another way that I can get a workout like the one I was getting without stressing my feet so bad, I'd really love to know. Especially since my weight loss is steady and I want to put on some muscle and retain mobility as I get closer and closer to my goal weight.

Thanks

pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hey OP...

what are your thoughts on how i go about working out? a typical chest day will incorporate 225 for about 200 toal reps in 20 sets. then 100 reps at incline barbell 10x10. then decline 10x10. then cable chest flys starting at a high position then going mid position then coming from underneath 10 each for 5 sets...

is this way too much volume? if you saw me at the gym doing this would you be like wtf is this guy doing to himself?
    I don't have any particular goals other than lose weight. is super high volume the best way to go about this?

I also battle back pain and frequent sprains... I do not dead lift or squat for this reason because the majority have come during these lifts... is it stupid to exclude them or should i find someone to help me perfect my form and flexibility and try them again?
    -BALTIMORE RAVENS-ORIOLES-TCUFOOTBALL-SPURS-
    *MISC COLOGNE CREW*
    "Ever love someone so much you'd do anything for them? Well.. Make that someone your self and do whatever the hell you want." Harvey S.

Originally Posted by chunkdouglas View Post
    Hey OP, thanks for the great thread.

I'm not sure if you have experience with this, but I have chronic bursitis in both of my feet. Foot doctor told me that I need to lose weight, so that's what I've been doing. I'm in the 260s range right now, but I've lost over 100lbs over the last few years. On to my question. Do you think that I should avoid exercises like squats that put so much pressure on my feet. I was doing Stronglifts 5x5 for a few weeks. It felt great and I loved the enhanced mobility and strength that the program gave me over those few weeks, but it ended when I had a bad flair up of my bursitis in my right foot. I'm not sure if it was the squats and other exercises, but it had been a while since I'd had a flair up like that. If there's another way that I can get a workout like the one I was getting without stressing my feet so bad, I'd really love to know. Especially since my weight loss is steady and I want to put on some muscle and retain mobility as I get closer and closer to my goal weight.

Thanks
    Losing fat and gaining muscle (LBM) are 2 different metabolic pathways. You have to do or the other. I suggest that you cut, starting small and working your way up. The more adipose tissue (fat cells), the more stress on your body. Most pbese individuals have bow legs and a put the majority on the outside of the feet. Take an old paid of shoes and see where the wer it. You can temp fix this with shoes that are thicker on the outside. Shoe inserts can help too. But it all stems from bowlegged knees due to the extreme weight. I'm not qualified to make a diagnosis, but a podiatrist can help alot.
    Net is the knees, its rare to fin an "outside walker" without having bowlegged knees. That is usually cause by overweightness. You are doing great so far so keep it up but dont be discouraged by a plateau. Your body is in starvation mode (hold on to the most kcals you take in). You just need to increase speed, mode, duration and maybe even added weight like a weight.

The flair ups: I'll be the first to admit that bursitis is no my forte. I would, however, roll your feet over a tennis ball to help relax the tendons, and you cn even free a tennis ball to help with swelling. Another option is orthotics {special shoes or shoe inserts that can help correct for form). Here is a pic that shows the different types of foot steps

As first as bursitis concerned, i dont feel knowledgeable t enough to advise you . That is something i would feel better about to laving it to a doc.

You can also arch tape your foot if that helps. you literally tape the mid stance pulling upwards to encourage to a good arch and may help the pain. Here is a good way to tackle foot pan

Originally Posted by pep_meister View Post
    Hey OP...

what are your thoughts on how i go about working out? a typical chest day will incorporate 225 for about 200 toal reps in 20 sets. then 100 reps at incline barbell 10x10. then decline 10x10. then cable chest flys starting at a high position then going mid position then coming from underneath 10 each for 5 sets...

is this way too much volume? if you saw me at the gym doing this would you be like wtf is this guy doing to himself?
    I don't have any particular goals other than lose weight. is super high volume the best way to go about this?

I also battle back pain and frequent sprains... I do not dead lift or squat for this reason because the majority have come during these lifts... is it stupid to exclude them or should i find someone to help me perfect my form and flexibility and try them again?
    I'll address this tomorrow. i'm not feeling too well brah

Originally Posted by pep_meister View Post
    Hey OP...

OK...a few questions.
    1. How often do you train?
    2. what is your rough BMI?
    3. What is your experience in the gym? Did you just show up one day and do this and that, watch other lifters, read a book...etc?

As for your regiment. I would say the rep ranges are ok, UNLESS you are a beginner. You have to log in the hours of training in order to keep from over training. The more you train, the more your muscles adapt to the stress (glucose/glycogen/glucagon production, lactic acid buffering, failure before you do real damage and working in a chain.

When it comes to free weights,k there are tons of different schemes. i prefer Push/pull, when I USE to prefer agonist/synergist (ex: Chest and triceps; Back and biceps). Generally though, you want to work the large muscle groups FIRST rather than small then large. What i mean by this is hit chest AND then triceps. If you hit triceps and THEN chest, then that is the pre-exhaustion method. I, personally, hate it because i love pushing HEAVY ass weights and you pretty much cant when you pre-exhaust. There is also the push/pull method (chest and back; Legs (quads and hams), Arms (bi's and tri's). The push/pull is usually called the prison workout. when ou do each scheme correctly, you can make great gains if you do things correctly, but as you fatigue, form tends to go out the window. Bad form = Injury.
    My personal upper body is:
    Chest: Back:
    Bench Press: 3 X 10 Assisted wide grip pull ups for 10 reps
    Incline: 3 X 10 Cable Cross over pull downs for 3 sets of 10 reps
    DB Flat: 3 X 10 Seated Rows: 3 X 10 reps *I have SEVERE Rheumatoid arthritis in all lumbar vert .................................... so i have to sit*
    DB incline: 3 X 10 Incline rows: 3 X 10 reps
    peck Deck Flies: 3 X 10 Lateral Cable crossover extensions 3 X 10
    OR
    *Incline DB Flies for same
    *2 sec pause between eccentric and concentric*

Usually, i'm beat by this time and i'm very careful not to over due it.

Your workouts are only limited to your imagination provided that you perform the exercises slow and controlled and not jerking. You can incorporate constriction bands, kettle bells, exercise balls etc. the key is to just experiment and see what is best for you. I do, however, change things up (rep ranges, exercises, speed etc) every 5 months or so. Shocking your muscles FORCES them to adapt and rebuild themselves bigger, faster and stronger.

As far as your back issues, you should do what I do....LOCK your upper body when exercising. When you flex at the abs, then you open the door for injury. You can also wear a weight belt and Lock your eyes halfway between the ceiling and your height. Also, you need to puff your chest out (which adducts your scapulas and stabilizes your lower back) and take it slow. Progress ONLY as long as you feel good. Another SOLID tip is to REALLY hammer your core (abdominals, erector spinae, inguinal ligament and internal/external obliques). The stronger your muscles are, the more stable the joint will be and your L5/S1 is the most injured low back joint. Keep in mind though, that just sit ups and half sit ups arent enough. You need to incorporate planks, ab rollers, flutter kicks (because this targets abs as well) and 6 inches (hold your legs locked 6 inches in the air). A REALLY good ab workout is the abdominal throwdowns. You have to have a partner though (Put your head between your partner's legs, grab their ankles and raise your legs while straightened. they will catch your ankles and throw them down. Your objective is stop your legs from hitting the ground. You can do this side to side as well.

As far as squats and deadlifts, i would SLOWLY incorporate them UNLESS they trigger your pain. I start with air squats and 135 on dead lift, then slowly work my way up. This targets the entire lower body and core and is beneficial.

tank how do I get my squats up? They are my lowest lift. So far I can bench with 2 plates on each side. 4 plate deadlift. But my squats are just 45's + 25's. I have such a struggle with them for some reason. My hamstrings are also tiny/weak compared to my quads. How do I fix this? It's really weird.
    Entrepreneur Crew
    MMA Crew
    Cinematographer Crew
    Photographer Crew
    Ski/Snowboard Crew
    Guns Crew

420Layers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 420Layers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 420Layers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 420Layers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 420Layers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 420Layers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 420Layers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 420Layers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 420Layers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 420Layers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 420Layers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hey tank I know you've talked about preventing rotator cuff injuries, but how do I increase mobility?

I don't get any impingement when bench pressing or OHP of any kind, but I cannot rotate my arm around with the 360 degrees vertically, 180 horizontally at all, and I also get a lot of clicking noises whenever I try to. I can't perform an overhead squat properly.

Maybe I haven't tried hard enough, but I haven't found any good guides on how to do so. Just injury prevention type of stuff.

Jattfusion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jattfusion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jattfusion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jattfusion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jattfusion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jattfusion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jattfusion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jattfusion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jattfusion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jattfusion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jattfusion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    gj tank on this thread.. will rep u on that brah.

My question is, i need to work my lower back. DUring this time of the year i avoid the gym to stay away from flu.
    So i workout in my makeshift bsmt gym. What i have are dbells, stationary bike (live strong version) and workout bench that goes from flat to incline. I also have an exercise ball. Tell me how i can work my lower back from this setup and equipment.
    Death Comes To Those Who Bow Down To Their Fears!!
    ------------------------------------------------------
    PSN/ps 4 : Jattfusion584
    # of REDS turned to GREEN = 122 and counting
    Official Bhangra Music thread = http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=710828361
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/jattfusion

theACEofSPADES has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theACEofSPADES has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theACEofSPADES has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theACEofSPADES has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theACEofSPADES has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theACEofSPADES has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theACEofSPADES has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theACEofSPADES has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theACEofSPADES has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theACEofSPADES has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theACEofSPADES has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If I get injured, who is the best person to see? A doctor? PT? Sports med?

Which PT cert is the best one to get? Are they even worth it?
    ★☆★ Full-Time Philadelphia Eagles Fan ★☆★

100% 中國人

USMC Infantry

tank how do I get my squats up? They are my lowest lift. So far I can bench with 2 plates on each side. 4 plate deadlift. But my squats are just 45's + 25's. I have such a struggle with them for some reason. My hamstrings are also tiny/weak compared to my quads. How do I fix this? It's really weird.
    ISO ISO ISO. Since we are dealing with a "must spot exercise like squats, i'd work more on Deadlift. there really isnt an eccentric phase in DLs since most people let gravity handle that, i would pause at the top, but locking joints isnt very healthy so ALMOST lock your knees. Negatives are a great way to increase strength, but on DLs it isnt practical. You could also incorporate lunges so you wont need a spotter. And there is only 1 way to hit hamstrings and thats leg curls. I prefer to do unilateral (single leg) curls. Ive always played soccer so my legs have always been strong. I could max out the leg extension in 8th grade. Leg extensions though can trigger knee soreness

Check out atlean x if you get knee soreness
    Originally Posted by 420Layers View Post
    Hey tank I know you've talked about preventing rotator cuff injuries, but how do I increase mobility?

I don't get any impingement when bench pressing or OHP of any kind, but I cannot rotate my arm around with the 360 degrees vertically, 180 horizontally at all, and I also get a lot of clicking noises whenever I try to. I can't perform an overhead squat properly.

Maybe I haven't tried hard enough, but I haven't found any good guides on how to do so. Just injury prevention type of stuff.
    The shoulder isnt suppose to rotate 360 degrees. without the RC muscles, it could, but evolution has made it unstable and held together by weak, small and easily fatigued muscles. Normally, i'd try and walk you through this, but its kind of hard for me to describe so i'll let jeff handle it...

jonmcd46 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jonmcd46 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jonmcd46 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jonmcd46 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jonmcd46 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jonmcd46 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jonmcd46 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jonmcd46 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jonmcd46 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jonmcd46 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jonmcd46 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Havent read the thread, sorry if this has explained. Is waking up and working out fasted(with aminos) mainly lifting intense with high weight low reps, and sticking to mainly chicken and lean meats for my cals good for cutting? I'm at least 500 cals below maintenance, and eat once or twice a day. Also, when drinking, is beer better or everclear with 0 calorie mixer? ty militarybrah

Originally Posted by jonmcd46 View Post
    Havent read the thread, sorry if this has explained. Is waking up and working out fasted(with aminos) mainly lifting intense with high weight low reps, and sticking to mainly chicken and lean meats for my cals good for cutting? I'm at least 500 cals below maintenance, and eat once or twice a day. Also, when drinking, is beer better or everclear with 0 calorie mixer? ty militarybrah
    -Training when fasting is catabolic (good because it means "breaking down" and hormones that cause the body to burn fat are spiked). I personally hate it though
    -Chicken and lean meats = great
    -eating twice a day = not enough
    -Pure spirits are better if you are watching kcals, but alcohol is empty calories meaning you get ZERO proteins, fats, carbs or sugars) plus is hinders protein synthesis

DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey tank,

This is a pretty vague question but idk thought you might be able to give it a shot.

How long does it generally take to look like your current pump?
    Voices NEGGED without fear of being opinion crew

*Trust your gut crew*

Sep 2018: 5'7.5
    March 2019: 5'9
    Goal: 5'11-6'0

*shyt speller because keyboard is fukd crew

420Layers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 420Layers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 420Layers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 420Layers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 420Layers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 420Layers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 420Layers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 420Layers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 420Layers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 420Layers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 420Layers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well my bad the shoulder isn't supposed to rotate that much.

But do you know any way to increase my shoulder mobility so I can do an overhead squat?

Originally Posted by DassItMan View Post
    Hey tank,

This is a pretty vague question but idk thought you might be able to give it a shot.

How long does it generally take to look like your current pump?
    Couple of years i'd say. But...I attribute my avi pic to REALLY hitting traps. I mean...REALLY. Sets of 30 reps starting at 135 and usually ending around 5-6 plates (srs). You'd be surprised just how much of a boost Traps will give you when you develop them. And good middle deltoid def helps as well

Well my bad the shoulder isn't supposed to rotate that much.

But do you know any way to increase my shoulder mobility so I can do an overhead squat?
    To be honest, i dont know. I consider OHS to be dangerous (as i do most crossfit stuff). Let me do some research tomorrow on olympic style (same thing, i know) and i'll get back to you.

To be honest, i dont know. I consider OHS to be dangerous (as i do most crossfit stuff). Let me do some research tomorrow on olympic style (same thing, i know) and i'll get back to you.
    I don't really want to actually perform ohs or snatches in my programming but I believe that having good mobility at all joints in the body is important.

I don't really want to actually perform ohs or snatches in my programming but I believe that having good mobility at all joints in the body is important.
    Mobility IS good, BUT the shoulder is the most UNSTABLE. So mobility is not necessarily a stellar thing for it

And WTF is in your avi?

A quarter lol.

pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OK...a few questions.
    1. How often do you train?
    2. what is your rough BMI?
    3. What is your experience in the gym? Did you just show up one day and do this and that, watch other lifters, read a book...etc?

As for your regiment. I would say the rep ranges are ok, UNLESS you are a beginner. You have to log in the hours of training in order to keep from over training. The more you train, the more your muscles adapt to the stress (glucose/glycogen/glucagon production, lactic acid buffering, failure before you do real damage and working in a chain.

When it comes to free weights,k there are tons of different schemes. i prefer Push/pull, when I USE to prefer agonist/synergist (ex: Chest and triceps; Back and biceps). Generally though, you want to work the large muscle groups FIRST rather than small then large. What i mean by this is hit chest AND then triceps. If you hit triceps and THEN chest, then that is the pre-exhaustion method. I, personally, hate it because i love pushing HEAVY ass weights and you pretty much cant when you pre-exhaust. There is also the push/pull method (chest and back; Legs (quads and hams), Arms (bi's and tri's). The push/pull is usually called the prison workout. when ou do each scheme correctly, you can make great gains if you do things correctly, but as you fatigue, form tends to go out the window. Bad form = Injury.
    My personal upper body is:
    Chest: Back:
    Bench Press: 3 X 10 Assisted wide grip pull ups for 10 reps
    Incline: 3 X 10 Cable Cross over pull downs for 3 sets of 10 reps
    DB Flat: 3 X 10 Seated Rows: 3 X 10 reps *I have SEVERE Rheumatoid arthritis in all lumbar vert .................................... so i have to sit*
    DB incline: 3 X 10 Incline rows: 3 X 10 reps
    peck Deck Flies: 3 X 10 Lateral Cable crossover extensions 3 X 10
    OR
    *Incline DB Flies for same
    *2 sec pause between eccentric and concentric*

Usually, i'm beat by this time and i'm very careful not to over due it.

Your workouts are only limited to your imagination provided that you perform the exercises slow and controlled and not jerking. You can incorporate constriction bands, kettle bells, exercise balls etc. the key is to just experiment and see what is best for you. I do, however, change things up (rep ranges, exercises, speed etc) every 5 months or so. Shocking your muscles FORCES them to adapt and rebuild themselves bigger, faster and stronger.

As far as your back issues, you should do what I do....LOCK your upper body when exercising. When you flex at the abs, then you open the door for injury. You can also wear a weight belt and Lock your eyes halfway between the ceiling and your height. Also, you need to puff your chest out (which adducts your scapulas and stabilizes your lower back) and take it slow. Progress ONLY as long as you feel good. Another SOLID tip is to REALLY hammer your core (abdominals, erector spinae, inguinal ligament and internal/external obliques). The stronger your muscles are, the more stable the joint will be and your L5/S1 is the most injured low back joint. Keep in mind though, that just sit ups and half sit ups arent enough. You need to incorporate planks, ab rollers, flutter kicks (because this targets abs as well) and 6 inches (hold your legs locked 6 inches in the air). A REALLY good ab workout is the abdominal throwdowns. You have to have a partner though (Put your head between your partner's legs, grab their ankles and raise your legs while straightened. they will catch your ankles and throw them down. Your objective is stop your legs from hitting the ground. You can do this side to side as well.

As far as squats and deadlifts, i would SLOWLY incorporate them UNLESS they trigger your pain. I start with air squats and 135 on dead lift, then slowly work my way up. This targets the entire lower body and core and is beneficial.
    first thanks a million for the detailed reply. My biggest question was the volume thing because in all of my years in the gym i've never seen anyone do that much volume. I appreciate it big time. I think im going to try squatting and deadlifting with the bar for form with a friend and work on flexibility. The biggest thing i took was my abs will help with my back issues. i've never done abs outside of situps for my air force pt test which i manage to max out.

1. How often do you train? 5 days a week. Usually a split like chest monday. tuesday bis and tris. wednesday shoulders. thursday back and legs. and friday a full body circuit... i do sit ups before every workout but i will add another few minutes daily to strengthen my core.
    2. what is your rough BMI? i'd say between 20-25%. 5'10 240 right now.
    i'm 23 and started lifting when was 14. so 9 years in the gym. my base was having this " i benched a b52 challenge (185klbs)" on the bench and i only had 3 weeks to finish before i left to get my tshirt so i started hammering out crazy volume on chest and found i kept getting stronger, reps came easier and easier and my push ups for my pt test went from 65 to 75 in a minute which is a big big jump in just 3 months. i used to have a more powerlift approach smaller rep range but this volume has been doing crazy **** to me. in arms, shoulders, all my lifts while losing weight and at a calorie defecit. i watched a lot of youtube videos through the years because i never lift with a partner and got my bench form down, i do a lot ot basic lifts in high volume .seated dumbell ohp for a lot of reps, super set/drop set lat and front raises together.

arm day will consist of starting at 40lb dumbells do to 5lb curling normal at 20 reps at each increment then superset with hammer curls immediatly after then skull crushers take a 2 minute rest and repeat 2 more times. then go super set cable curls and tricep push downs for a ton of reps. ive never followed a program or had anyone tell me if what im doing is a waste of time or if there is a legit method to my madness. lol. people just see me doing this stupid ammount of volume. its helped a lot. for a while i was only getting 225 for 19 now im at 25 and have lost 20lbs since then. just a few months ago
    -BALTIMORE RAVENS-ORIOLES-TCUFOOTBALL-SPURS-
    *MISC COLOGNE CREW*
    "Ever love someone so much you'd do anything for them? Well.. Make that someone your self and do whatever the hell you want." Harvey S.

Tormoz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tormoz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tormoz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tormoz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tormoz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tormoz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tormoz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tormoz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tormoz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tormoz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tormoz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Firstly, thank you for taking the time to post and write out intelligent answers about training.

I read the post about rotator cuffs and your suggestion to keep the elbows in during chest exercises and applied them to my chest workout. What I noticed was that my shoulders started feeling sore about halfway through my workout and I had to superset about 10lb less than last week. Why were they so sore when I tuck my elbows in a tad with chest? I spend about five minutes warming up my rotator cuffs every workout.

Also, after seeing the lifting challenge posted a few weeks ago, I attempted to set my own barbell shoulder press record and was surprised that I could lift only 110lbs. How does one improve delt strength? I feel my delts (especially rear) when I work arms as well.

Lastly, How does one close the gap in their bicep insertion? I cannot find definitive answers on the web.

Thank you for your time brah.