Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1512
    N = R * fp * ne * fl * fi tank2003's Avatar
    tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by 2RDEYE View Post
    tank is there a specific shoulder press i should be doing that directly works the upper part of my delts?
    There is no "upper part" of the delts. The closest you cant get to that type of thinking is paying attention to the direction of the fibers. I'll use the pectoralis major as an example.

The lines in the image are converging on the insertion point (generally the most movable part of the muscle) of the muscle, which is on the humerus in this case. Muscles contract according to the All or none principle so when you perform a chest fly, the whole thing will contract. That being said, if you wish to pay special attention to a specific head, then you need to follow one of those lines and have your hands meet over the sternum at at that specific spot.

When it comes to the delts, the arrangement is quite clear, front, middle and rear. But its still a single muscle because it has onely 1 Central nervouc system innervation and 1 insertion point

Originally Posted by Orlando777 View Post
    Great post OP. Studying Ex. Science at Rutgers rn. Some information I was aware of but reading your examples help put it into perspective. Thanks man!
    Thanks bro. Be aware ive been out of school for over a decade and some info can/may be considered obsolete
    Originally Posted by outfoxxed View Post
    Is it true that cardio kills gains?

Not srs. Best cardio to do while cutting? Low intensity, medium intensity or high?
    TECHNICALLY, CARDIO refers to a specific heart rate range (usually 60%-80% of your HR max), but pretty much everyone just refers to activity that gets your HR elevated for any extended amount of time as cardio.

For maximum benefits, HIIT is the best way to expend the most kcals in the shortest amount of time. It also helps (1) your body FORCE itself to begin the process of rebudgetting lactic acid as a secondary fuel source and (2) Increasing your EPOC (excess post oxygen consumption): oxygen stored in the muscle and soft tissues itself

Originally Posted by Orlando777 View Post
    Question about HIIT, I usually do about 20 minutes of interval on the stairmaster. I'll go hard for about 3 minutes (HR=160-180) and then light for 2 minutes (HR=140) and repeat that 4 times for 20 minutes. Is that efficient for post-lift cardio or would you recommend a different approach to intervals on the stairmaster.
    When it comes to HIIT, its all about kcal expenditure and getting that HR up to your target goal for that short span of time. If you are unsure about a mode, then i would experiment and compare it with a treadmill. I highly doubt a recumbent bike would come nearly as close unless the resistance was dialed up to 11
    I stand, not crawling, not falling down I bleed the demons that drag me down

2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tank2003 View Post
    There is no "upper part" of the delts. The closest you cant get to that type of thinking is paying attention to the direction of the fibers. I'll use the pectoralis major as an example.

The lines in the image are converging on the insertion point (generally the most movable part of the muscle) of the muscle, which is on the humerus in this case. Muscles contract according to the All or none principle so when you perform a chest fly, the whole thing will contract. That being said, if you wish to pay special attention to a specific head, then you need to follow one of those lines and have your hands meet over the sternum at at that specific spot.

When it comes to the delts, the arrangement is quite clear, front, middle and rear. But its still a single muscle because it has onely 1 Central nervouc system innervation and 1 insertion point
    Thanks, so I assume I should be okay with just controlled dumbell shoulder presses, seated and standing.

Also, I was gonna ask the other sub-forums about this, but they look dead lol. Do you think seated cable rows could simulate whiplash? I was doing seated cable rows today, not too heavy, not too light, slow and controlled, usually i could do 180lbs, but settled for 160lbs, but I started feeling like a weird tense sensation on the right side of back of my head doing my reps. Do you think that's normal? Exertion pressure of somesort? I keep my head up so it's not moving around, so it's weird..
    There is only one Hell: the one we live in now.

tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks, so I assume I should be okay with just controlled dumbell shoulder presses, seated and standing.

Also, I was gonna ask the other sub-forums about this, but they look dead lol. Do you think seated cable rows could simulate whiplash? I was doing seated cable rows today, not too heavy, not too light, slow and controlled, usually i could do 180lbs, but settled for 160lbs, but I started feeling like a weird tense sensation on the right side of back of my head doing my reps. Do you think that's normal? Exertion pressure of somesort? I keep my head up so it's not moving around, so it's weird..
    Hmmm....
    Neck strain is often just called whiplash. Although it's usually associated with car accidents, any impact or blow that causes your head to jerk forward or backward can cause neck strain. The sudden force stretches and tears the muscles and tendons in your neck.

Neck strain afflicts many amateur and professional athletes. People who play contact sports like football are especially prone to neck strain.

Neck strains are often confused with neck sprains. They're a bit different. Neck strains are caused by damage to the muscle or the tendons, bands of tissue that connect muscles to bones. Neck sprains are caused by tearing of the ligaments, the tissues that connect the bones to each other.

However, the differences between these strains and sprains probably won't mean much to you. The causes, symptoms, and treatment of neck sprains and neck strains are usually the same.
    I'd say it is possible dependent upon a myriad of different factors. Obviously if you are utilizing slow and controlled reps then that probably isnt the cause. But I suppose there could be an issue if you have some spinal misalignment issues (if you regularly visit a chiro for example). Vertebrae subluxate all the time and while they may be an immediately HUGE issue, they can be the cause of muscle strains.

2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hmmm....

I'd say it is possible dependent upon a myriad of different factors. Obviously if you are utilizing slow and controlled reps then that probably isnt the cause. But I suppose there could be an issue if you have some spinal misalignment issues (if you regularly visit a chiro for example). Vertebrae subluxate all the time and while they may be an immediately HUGE issue, they can be the cause of muscle strains.
    Woah.. I didn't know that. Neck strain = whiplash

I think maybe using my neck muscles caused it? I do the full range of motion on the seated cable rows right down to where the weight is resting. Maybe when I pull back I use my neck muscles causing neck strain...

Ah... well maybe it could just be my concussion hasn't fully healed, so something is weird. Maybe i'll keep my weights lighter for another week.
    Last edited by 2RDEYE; 08-09-2019 at 12:59 PM.

TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz
    in.

Originally Posted by TheDukeUSMC View Post
    in.

tank i went to the hospital yesterday cause i think i was getting a heart attack. kept feeling like a vibrating tightness on my heart area, and some spiking pains. but the doctor said it just happened to be like muscle spasms with my chest muscles or chest wall. i'm not sure how it happened because i did back workout the day before. do you know what could've happened? never had this before. but i did go hard on my back.

I’m a dude, not a chick! Ace Corona's Avatar
    Ace Corona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ace Corona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ace Corona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ace Corona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ace Corona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ace Corona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ace Corona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ace Corona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ace Corona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ace Corona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ace Corona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    tank i went to the hospital yesterday cause i think i was getting a heart attack. kept feeling like a vibrating tightness on my heart area, and some spiking pains. but the doctor said it just happened to be like muscle spasms with my chest muscles or chest wall. i'm not sure how it happened because i did back workout the day before. do you know what could've happened? never had this before. but i did go hard on my back.
    I’m not Tank, he might be able to give you a better answer, but I think I had a similar experience. I had sensations in my chest in 2012, and got taken by ambulance to a hospital. They said it wasn’t a heart attack, because when that happens, certain hormones are released into the bloodstream, and they didn’t detect those when they drew my blood.

I was told it was an anxiety attack, and I’ve had several since then, but didn’t go to a hospital because I knew I would survive. You may have had a severe but harmless anxiety attack.
    Fit Lord Crew
    (Repped by GMiscer)

Originally Posted by Ace Corona View Post
    I’m not Tank, he might be able to give you a better answer, but I think I had a similar experience. I had sensations in my chest in 2012, and got taken by ambulance to a hospital. They said it wasn’t a heart attack, because when that happens, certain hormones are released into the bloodstream, and they didn’t detect those when they drew my blood.

I was told it was an anxiety attack, and I’ve had several since then, but didn’t go to a hospital because I knew I would survive. You may have had a severe but harmless anxiety attack.
    yeah they tested me on everything. ecg, xray, blood test, ultrasound, all clear. the doctor said it was just the chest walls reacting... i'm not sure why.

i think it was an anxiety attack but i have no idea how....

I’m a dude, not a chick! Ace Corona's Avatar
    Ace Corona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ace Corona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ace Corona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ace Corona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ace Corona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ace Corona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ace Corona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ace Corona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ace Corona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ace Corona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ace Corona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    yeah they tested me on everything. ecg, xray, blood test, ultrasound, all clear. the doctor said it was just the chest walls reacting... i'm not sure why.

i think it was an anxiety attack but i have no idea how....
    Maybe you’ve been going at it too hard and heavy for too long, maybe you should take a couple of days off from lifting to recuperate.
    Fit Lord Crew
    (Repped by GMiscer)

Originally Posted by Ace Corona View Post
    Maybe you’ve been going at it too hard and heavy for too long, maybe you should take a couple of days off from lifting to recuperate.
    I don't think so. I took a full 7 days off 3 weeks ago because I had a concussion 4 weeks ago. I think it's my sleep quality...

Johnez is a name known to all. (+5000) Johnez is a name known to all. (+5000) Johnez is a name known to all. (+5000) Johnez is a name known to all. (+5000) Johnez is a name known to all. (+5000) Johnez is a name known to all. (+5000) Johnez is a name known to all. (+5000) Johnez is a name known to all. (+5000) Johnez is a name known to all. (+5000) Johnez is a name known to all. (+5000) Johnez is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm 33 and get the rumbling chest thing occasionally. Kind of curious as there doesn't seem to be any pattern associated with it except the fact that work is harder and longer than normal when it happens (warehouse worker here). I strongly suspect electrolytes imbalance, as the last time this flared up was a few weeks after starting keto, which is famous for electrolytes imbalance.

Originally Posted by Johnez View Post
    I'm 33 and get the rumbling chest thing occasionally. Kind of curious as there doesn't seem to be any pattern associated with it except the fact that work is harder and longer than normal when it happens (warehouse worker here). I strongly suspect electrolytes imbalance, as the last time this flared up was a few weeks after starting keto, which is famous for electrolytes imbalance.
    Hmmm, honestly, ive never heard of a correlation between keto and chronic coughing. I have heard of the general chronic coughing (when the vocal chords are irritated and spasm and you have to cough to let the spasm pass. Sometimes there is mucous) and the most recommended fix for it is calcium lactate. You mentioning eloctrolyte imbalance seems to fit perfectly within these parameters

I don't think so. I took a full 7 days off 3 weeks ago because I had a concussion 4 weeks ago. I think it's my sleep quality...
    Do you take anything for sleep quality? Try reducing your caffeine intake or at least reduce it after say...5 pm. I've had major problems sleeping all my life and have taken Rx meds to help me sleep and I can def say they are just a temp fix. I mean, you sleep, but you dont always rest. The meds really only help people that have REAL issues. I.e. narcolepsy etc. FOr the majority of us who have issues because of stimulant abuse, on our phones too much, not active enough during the day (and so on), meds arent for us.

There are plenty of of natural/homeopathic remedies you can try. The thing is, they should be used in conjunction with lifestyle changes, otherwise, they will only be minimally effective
    -CBD. Some people swear by this. IMO, fully loaded MJ is better (indica strains) if you can use it rather than the unleaded variety that is CBD. CBD helps you sleep but the THC is what MAKES you feel sleepy
    -Valerian. Smells like absolute chit and can make your stomach hurt if you take too much so you need to find your dose
    -Melatonin. Helps you 'reset' your circadian rhythm so you need to take it at the same time every day. The thing is you need to take this sparingly because it can effect your natural melatonin production levels after a while
    -Hops (like you find in beer) natural muscle relaxer
    -GABA
    -Daily magnesium. Mg helps promote healthy Nervous system functioning and "calms" the CNS whereas calcium tens to "excite" the CNS
    -Tryptophan. Non-essential amino acid. Youve probably heard of it being found in turkey.
    -Theanine
    -5HTP - Chemically similar to tryptophan
    -Ginko biloba - reduces stress

If you can exercise first thing in the AM, that would be best. Make your room as cool as you can handle, set a standard time to turn off the tv and phone. Do something to wind down every night like read. I stretch out every night because it lowers blood pressure and just feels good. I use to meditate but i got lazy.

Do you take anything for sleep quality? Try reducing your caffeine intake or at least reduce it after say...5 pm. I've had major problems sleeping all my life and have taken Rx meds to help me sleep and I can def say they are just a temp fix. I mean, you sleep, but you dont always rest. The meds really only help people that have REAL issues. I.e. narcolepsy etc. FOr the majority of us who have issues because of stimulant abuse, on our phones too much, not active enough during the day (and so on), meds arent for us.

There are plenty of of natural/homeopathic remedies you can try. The thing is, they should be used in conjunction with lifestyle changes, otherwise, they will only be minimally effective
    -CBD. Some people swear by this. IMO, fully loaded MJ is better (indica strains) if you can use it rather than the unleaded variety that is CBD. CBD helps you sleep but the THC is what MAKES you feel sleepy
    -Valerian. Smells like absolute chit and can make your stomach hurt if you take too much so you need to find your dose
    -Melatonin. Helps you 'reset' your circadian rhythm so you need to take it at the same time every day. The thing is you need to take this sparingly because it can effect your natural melatonin production levels after a while
    -Hops (like you find in beer) natural muscle relaxer
    -GABA
    -Daily magnesium. Mg helps promote healthy Nervous system functioning and "calms" the CNS whereas calcium tens to "excite" the CNS
    -Tryptophan. Non-essential amino acid. Youve probably heard of it being found in turkey.
    -Theanine
    -5HTP - Chemically similar to tryptophan
    -Ginko biloba - reduces stress

If you can exercise first thing in the AM, that would be best. Make your room as cool as you can handle, set a standard time to turn off the tv and phone. Do something to wind down every night like read. I stretch out every night because it lowers blood pressure and just feels good. I use to meditate but i got lazy.
    Thanks tank. im actually having the worst concussion symptoms and the worst time of my life right now. concussion symptoms have came back full force, it's been seven days and it keeps getting worse. im unable to do anything, literally anything lol, even light stretching, I'll try your sleep stuff when i get better thanks.

ButcherSir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ButcherSir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ButcherSir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ButcherSir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ButcherSir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ButcherSir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ButcherSir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ButcherSir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ButcherSir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ButcherSir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ButcherSir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    is it true you need to strech only AFTER you run? and before to just do a warm up like jumping?
    Arsenal FC crew
    Poverty lifts crew
    europe crew
    washing hands before peeing crew
    dead before 29 crew ( lol @ the 30 crew)
    Gonna Semi make it crew

Originally Posted by ButcherSir View Post
    is it true you need to strech only AFTER you run? and before to just do a warm up like jumping?
    True. Obviously you want to loosen up (walk around gradually increasing your ROM etc) a bit before jogging rather than hopping out of bed and staring the run clock. If you are actually running/sprinting, then you need to warm up rather than stretching

Water2Earth is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi, Thanks for the thread Tank.

I have a muscle memory/imbalance issue in my legs which I would like your advice on.

I had surgery on the inside of my knee when I was a teenager and since then my left leg has always been stronger than my right.

When I go skydiving and try to maintain a neural arch where both my legs should be at the same length I have a tendency to let my left leg be "longer" (see attached picture). This body position causes me to go into an uncontrolled spin when turning to the right. In my head my legs are level but in reality they are not (likely because my left is stronger).

What I have done to try and fix this is hang from the pull up bar in front of a mirror and use the mirror to position my legs where they should be and then close my eyes to try and learn what this feels like. In terms of weight training I have been doing isolated leg exercises only for legs. DB single leg squats with bench support and using the machine single leg leg press (3-8 reps ~3 sets) although more often than not I get lower back pain from this. Where should I be placing my leg, in the centre of the leg press or naturally to the side of the body where my leg is. Any tips advice on what I should try or criticism is greatly received.
    Attached Images

Originally Posted by Water2Earth View Post
    Hi, Thanks for the thread Tank.

I have a muscle memory/imbalance issue in my legs which I would like your advice on.

I had surgery on the inside of my knee when I was a teenager and since then my left leg has always been stronger than my right.

When I go skydiving and try to maintain a neural arch where both my legs should be at the same length I have a tendency to let my left leg be "longer" (see attached picture). This body position causes me to go into an uncontrolled spin when turning to the right. In my head my legs are level but in reality they are not (likely because my left is stronger).

What I have done to try and fix this is hang from the pull up bar in front of a mirror and use the mirror to position my legs where they should be and then close my eyes to try and learn what this feels like. In terms of weight training I have been doing isolated leg exercises only for legs. DB single leg squats with bench support and using the machine single leg leg press (3-8 reps ~3 sets) although more often than not I get lower back pain from this. Where should I be placing my leg, in the centre of the leg press or naturally to the side of the body where my leg is. Any tips advice on what I should try or criticism is greatly received.
    Well, this is certainly unfamiliar territory for me (sky diving and spin inducing angles).

Ok...so you had you had surgery on your knee (inside of your left knee to be exact).
    -What exactly was the surgery regarding? I'm assuming your surgery was to work on your MCL or medial meniscus? Or less likely the the VMO tendon?
    -Did the surgery result in you having a reduced ROM afterwords and you having to compensate as a result? -Exactly how much weaker/stronger are your legs right now? When you measure them, what is the difference?
    -If i asked you to, say, perform some unilateral leg extensions and curls at nearly max weight, could you complete the sets with both legs, or would your left leg lag significantly?

hey tank. i'm still ****ed 6 weeks in my concussion. but i'm going to try something different. they say aerobic exercise can help create more neurons in the brain, do you know anything about that? exercise and brain health. most of the recent concussion recovery "instructions" have aerobic exercise in it, i'm not sure what the scientific reason is. like start off by walking or stationery bike, then if you feel up to it start jogging, then if you feel that you can jog, then you can do weight lifting, or something like that.

hey tank. i'm still ****ed 6 weeks in my concussion. but i'm going to try something different. they say aerobic exercise can help create more neurons in the brain, do you know anything about that? exercise and brain health. most of the recent concussion recovery "instructions" have aerobic exercise in it, i'm not sure what the scientific reason is. like start off by walking or stationery bike, then if you feel up to it start jogging, then if you feel that you can jog, then you can do weight lifting, or something like that.
    well, i dont know much about post-concussive recovery at all but, off the cuff, that sounds pretty fine. I mean, regular cardio work has tooooooooons of benefits and nearly zero risks.

What symptoms are you still having?

well, i dont know much about post-concussive recovery at all but, off the cuff, that sounds pretty fine. I mean, regular cardio work has tooooooooons of benefits and nearly zero risks.

What symptoms are you still having?
    pretty much every single concussion symptom on any list hit me 2 weeks ago, and i'm still feeling them. i think my concussion was delayed by 4 weeks.... i literally felt it all come in one week. and i just went for a jog, thought it was fine, and guess what?? I developed tinnitus on my left ear **** ME lol... everything i'm suffering from every symptom... memory problems, sound and light sensitivity, cognitive vision, very slow information processing, tired, fatigue, sleepiness, you name it... it's horrible.

i spent $400 on nootropics, whatever i could find on the internet that could help...

if u can help me with anything... related to the brain, like supplements, or anything. i would appreciate it so much. i'm so desperate. my entire self is pretty much bedridden. after 4 hours of doing anything i'm so tired and fatigued... and sleepy.

i have no idea how the brain works regarding repair... if i knew maybe i could help myself and make a program for myself and diet. bought all these brain supplements anything related to the brain... i'm so desperate to recover. but i don't think i'll recover fully... they say after 4-6 months the brain recovers very slow, then after a year.... that's it..

i know sleep is important, and my sleep is so disturbed. i dream like 4 times a night and wake up 4 times a night. i'm in bed 10 hours rolling around. i bought GABA and waiting for L-theanine, apparently they both increase REM sleep. so i'll see how that works..
    Last edited by 2RDEYE; 08-25-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Water2Earth is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    -What exactly was the surgery regarding?
    I had a bone growing on my femur which was rubbing against muscle(s)/tendon(s) so a surgeon made an incision and removed it (see attached "picture 1" for anatomical location of surgery [SFW]). I feel like my vastus medialis hypertrophied after the surgery due to the incision.

-Did the surgery result in you having a reduced ROM afterwords and you having to compensate as a result?
    Right now I have the same ROM in both legs. I did have to perform some light physio after the surgery.

-Exactly how much weaker/stronger are your legs right now? When you measure them, what is the difference?
    On my left leg (surgery leg) I can perform 2-3 more pistol leg squats than on my right leg. My left leg is about 1/5 of an inch larger than my right.

-If i asked you to, say, perform some unilateral leg extensions and curls at nearly max weight, could you complete the sets with both legs, or would your left leg lag significantly?
    Left leg is stronger and I feel a stronger muscle mind connection with this leg. If I were to perform a normal squat I feel like I would exert more force through my left leg.

I guess the crux of it is how to reduce the strength of my left leg and what are the best leg isolation exercises to bring my right leg up to speed. Should I stop exercising my left leg altogether? Thanks.
    Attached Images

pretty much every single concussion symptom on any list hit me 2 weeks ago, and i'm still feeling them. i think my concussion was delayed by 4 weeks.... i literally felt it all come in one week. and i just went for a jog, thought it was fine, and guess what?? I developed tinnitus on my left ear **** ME lol... everything i'm suffering from every symptom... memory problems, sound and light sensitivity, cognitive vision, very slow information processing, tired, fatigue, sleepiness, you name it... it's horrible.

i spent $400 on nootropics, whatever i could find on the internet that could help...

if u can help me with anything... related to the brain, like supplements, or anything. i would appreciate it so much. i'm so desperate. my entire self is pretty much bedridden. after 4 hours of doing anything i'm so tired and fatigued... and sleepy.

i have no idea how the brain works regarding repair... if i knew maybe i could help myself and make a program for myself and diet. bought all these brain supplements anything related to the brain... i'm so desperate to recover. but i don't think i'll recover fully... they say after 4-6 months the brain recovers very slow, then after a year.... that's it..

i know sleep is important, and my sleep is so disturbed. i dream like 4 times a night and wake up 4 times a night. i'm in bed 10 hours rolling around. i bought GABA and waiting for L-theanine, apparently they both increase REM sleep. so i'll see how that works..
    Well, as ive said before, this is beyond my pay grade, but it really seems liek your sleep could be playing a huge role. Seems like you may be sleeping, just not resting.Refresh my memory, have you seen a concussion specialist/neurologist? I believe you said you did/have seen one but you werent taken very seriously. If that is the case, then i think you need to doctor shop until you find a doc/specialist that will take you seriously
    Originally Posted by Water2Earth View Post
    Wow. Your left leg is slightly longer. That's incredibly rare.
    Here is a video that may help you with your mind-muscle connection:

As for the imbalance, i can definitely relate. Mine is from nerve damage though. I'm doing good just to keep my left leg from shrivelling up. Anyway, uniliateral training is the best way to bring up a weak arm of leg. I cant do any squatting (well, i can, but it aggravates my arthritis so i just dont do it anymore) so I do leg press (one leg at a time so i dont have to load tons of plates and i can keep track of how my left leg strength is progressing) and bulgarian split squats.

Take a look at this video for some ideas on how to bring up your weaker leg. The idea is to strengthen your weak leg up to match your strong leg, not to weaken your strong leg. The only way to weaken your strong leg would be to not use. But you'd have to not use your other leg, so it would get weaker too

Once you get both legs to be close to the same strength (i doubt they'll be in equal strength because they never really are), i cant say that that will fix the angle problem you see when sky diving though. It may help.

Well, as ive said before, this is beyond my pay grade, but it really seems liek your sleep could be playing a huge role. Seems like you may be sleeping, just not resting.Refresh my memory, have you seen a concussion specialist/neurologist? I believe you said you did/have seen one but you werent taken very seriously. If that is the case, then i think you need to doctor shop until you find a doc/specialist that will take you seriously
    i finally get to see one september 11th. it's so ****ing long. i have no idea why they book me 9 weeks late after the concussion. i've seen 15 regular doctors... but they are so useless. they literally don't know anything about concussions. their advice is so mixed. have asked several times to see a specialist but they won't book me one. so my only chance is this concussion specialist in sep 11.

my sleep is definitely messed up... i think i'm getting REM sleep but it's so disturbed. i dream like 4 times a night and wake up 4 times a night.

i finally get to see one september 11th. it's so ****ing long. i have no idea why they book me 9 weeks late after the concussion. i've seen 15 regular doctors... but they are so useless. they literally don't know anything about concussions. their advice is so mixed. have asked several times to see a specialist but they won't book me one. so my only chance is this concussion specialist in sep 11.

my sleep is definitely messed up... i think i'm getting REM sleep but it's so disturbed. i dream like 4 times a night and wake up 4 times a night.
    dang man. sorry to hear that. I guess that is one of the drawbacks of socialized medicine (but thats just the opinion of a staunch capitalist). Well, all i can do at this point is offer some tips to help you rest better:
    -Exercise in the AM or as early as possible because exercise is a stimulant
    -When you wake up, get some sun because the sun helps regulate your circadian rhythm
    -Limit stimulants especially after 6pm
    -Install blue light filters on your PC and mobile phone. I use f.lux for my pc. Blue light has more energy as compared to red light. The blue light can and will upset your circadian rhythm
    -Set a daily time to go to bed and wake up. Again this helps with your natural rhythm but you have to check your will power at the door so you dont sleep in on your days off
    -Keep your room cool (about 65 degrees if you can handle it). You'll sleep deeper this way
    -Some people need white noise to sleep and i'm one of them. I sleep with a fan on plus I usually listen to a lecture (astrophysics or something along those lines. I do this so my mind is active enough to where it wont wander)
    -I also keep my shaker cup near me because i snore so i need a few sips throughout the night. I use to chug water throughout the night but that now means that I have to get up to piss several times per night
    -Avoid dairy right before bed. That has been shown to give people bad dreams
    -Try doing something before bed that helps you calm down like stretching or reading a book
    -This is gonna sound like tree hugging granola eating hippy crap but you could try meditating. Its scientifically proven to help lower blood pressure, ease anxiety, hell, its even helped people lose weight. It could help you flip that switch that enables you to rest better

dang man. sorry to hear that. I guess that is one of the drawbacks of socialized medicine (but thats just the opinion of a staunch capitalist). Well, all i can do at this point is offer some tips to help you rest better:
    -Exercise in the AM or as early as possible because exercise is a stimulant
    -When you wake up, get some sun because the sun helps regulate your circadian rhythm
    -Limit stimulants especially after 6pm
    -Install blue light filters on your PC and mobile phone. I use f.lux for my pc. Blue light has more energy as compared to red light. The blue light can and will upset your circadian rhythm
    -Set a daily time to go to bed and wake up. Again this helps with your natural rhythm but you have to check your will power at the door so you dont sleep in on your days off
    -Keep your room cool (about 65 degrees if you can handle it). You'll sleep deeper this way
    -Some people need white noise to sleep and i'm one of them. I sleep with a fan on plus I usually listen to a lecture (astrophysics or something along those lines. I do this so my mind is active enough to where it wont wander)
    -I also keep my shaker cup near me because i snore so i need a few sips throughout the night. I use to chug water throughout the night but that now means that I have to get up to piss several times per night
    -Avoid dairy right before bed. That has been shown to give people bad dreams
    -Try doing something before bed that helps you calm down like stretching or reading a book
    -This is gonna sound like tree hugging granola eating hippy crap but you could try meditating. Its scientifically proven to help lower blood pressure, ease anxiety, hell, its even helped people lose weight. It could help you flip that switch that enables you to rest better
    Thanks tank. Did you know anyone in the military who got concussions? I can't learn meditation anymore, tinnitus is ****ing annoying lol. It drives me insane. There's no more silence in my life anymore.

Maybe i'll try stretching.

Thanks tank. Did you know anyone in the military who got concussions? I can't learn meditation anymore, tinnitus is ****ing annoying lol. It drives me insane. There's no more silence in my life anymore.

Maybe i'll try stretching.
    well, you dont have to have silence when meditating. I always had some white noise playing. Usually some instrumental music or a youtube video of guided meditation. Ive known a few. I'll reach out to them and ask for some advice

Meralus is a name known to all. (+5000) Meralus is a name known to all. (+5000) Meralus is a name known to all. (+5000) Meralus is a name known to all. (+5000) Meralus is a name known to all. (+5000) Meralus is a name known to all. (+5000) Meralus is a name known to all. (+5000) Meralus is a name known to all. (+5000) Meralus is a name known to all. (+5000) Meralus is a name known to all. (+5000) Meralus is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm in a knee immobilizer for six to eight weeks with full weight bearing permitted. However, I don't want to not gym at all during that time and would still like to work upper body.

Do you have any recommendations on what exercises I can do that target the upper body without putting too much stress on my leg? I know most cable work, anything standing, etc is out the window. But if I can still do some basic resistance sitting down I wanna at least keep some strength training going.
    "If you don't believe in yourself then why is anyone else going to?"

Originally Posted by Meralus View Post
    I'm in a knee immobilizer for six to eight weeks with full weight bearing permitted. However, I don't want to not gym at all during that time and would still like to work upper body.

Do you have any recommendations on what exercises I can do that target the upper body without putting too much stress on my leg? I know most cable work, anything standing, etc is out the window. But if I can still do some basic resistance sitting down I wanna at least keep some strength training going.
    This should be a pretty easy fix. Move all your exercises to a seated position. You might have some issues on exercises like DB press if you are fairly strong because getting those heavy DBs to your bench would probably be difficult. But you could always move one at a time or move one DB from the rack to the ground then roll it to your bench and repeat with the other.

With back exercises, you'll need to use cables or ISO machines but they will still get the job done. Shoulders can easily be done seated. You can do seated OHP/strict press/push press but its probably smarter to just skip it until you're able to stand again (unless your gym has a specific setup). Arms are as easily done seated as done standing up.