Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
    ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Tank what's your take on vertical jump training? I made a bet with a friend that I'd dunk before 2018 and right now I'm about 60-70% through recovering from a major ankle injury so realistically I'll be back at full sprinting by June I would assume...which gives me only about 6 months to train so I gotta make the most out of every workout by training as intelligently as I can to reach said goal

A) Do you think the leg press has any significant carry over to vertical leap?

B) Calf training will probably key to getting a few extra inches, so should I put emphasis on soleus training or gastroc training? Something tells me soleus for some reason but it's literally just a guess

C) Any drills, exercises that you swear by that will help increase vertical? Only thing I can think of is lots of lunges, sprints, various jump training, calves, and I think heavy trap bar deadlifting will have a great impact on jumping ability

I pretty much know my plan of attack and a decent amount of science behind the training but I'm really looking for any personal testimonies as to what will be successful. I got the big picture, now I just want any tidbits I can find to make it clearer on how exactly I should approach this because I'll definitely make use of any tips i can get
    Word is Bond

Lakers - Mackin' on your favorite team since 1947

because MERICA that's why TheAmericano's Avatar
    TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by tank2003 View Post
    1. It is def possible for your friend to go beast mode in one year. It takes a good bit of dedication though. Did he just start out lifting? The noob gains can take you far if you have the proper education to guide you.
    Yes he was a noob. What kind of proper education?

- The thing is that he got jacked but still maintain low body fat
    - I'm sorry; I couldn't hear your complaints over the sound of all this freedom!

~ Merica

- Everybody wants to make it, but nobody wants to put in the work!

Kanvus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kanvus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kanvus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kanvus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kanvus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kanvus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kanvus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kanvus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kanvus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kanvus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kanvus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ClevageGobbler View Post
    Tank what's your take on vertical jump training? I made a bet with a friend that I'd dunk before 2018 and right now I'm about 60-70% through recovering from a major ankle injury so realistically I'll be back at full sprinting by June I would assume...which gives me only about 6 months to train so I gotta make the most out of every workout by training as intelligently as I can to reach said goal

B) Calf training will probably key to getting a few extra inches, so should I put emphasis on soleus training or gastroc training? Something tells me soleus for some reason but it's literally just a guess

C) Any drills, exercises that you swear by that will help increase vertical? Only thing I can think of is lots of lunges, sprints, various jump training, calves, and I think heavy trap bar deadlifting will have a great impact on jumping ability

I pretty much know my plan of attack and a decent amount of science behind the training but I'm really looking for any personal testimonies as to what will be successful. I got the big picture, now I just want any tidbits I can find to make it clearer on how exactly I should approach this because I'll definitely make use of any tips i can get
    Vert Jump Bible is all you need boyo

N = R * fp * ne * fl * fi tank2003's Avatar
    tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

This was already covered in depth once somewhere ITT. You'll have to look through to find the videos.
    1. Yes leg press helps. It will hone extension at the knee. You will need to throw in some hip thrust drills as well though.
    2. You cantreally ISO the gastroc or soleus. Muslces that share a common origin or insertion tend to work at the same time which makes it hard to ISO
    3. Kanvus is correct. Check out his source
    Originally Posted by TheAmericano View Post
    Yes he was a noob. What kind of proper education?

- The thing is that he got jacked but still maintain low body fat
    What i mean by proper education is how to TRAIN (putting together a solid regiment), training efficiently (knowing what exercises are just fluff, and what exercises EFFICIENTLY train what muscle groups, PROPER form)

The thing with noob gains is that in normal circumstances, you cannot build muscle AND lose body fat because they are two different energy processes. It is the difference between taking a left turn and a right turn. When you are a noob, you are shocking your body so much that it literally doesnt know HOW to JUST build muscle or lose fat. After around 6 weeks to 2 months, the neuromuscular system learns to adapt by regulating muscle fiber recruitment, Heart rates and the fuel used to keep you going
    Originally Posted by Kanvus View Post
    Vert Jump Bible is all you need boyo
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.” - The Nameless City by HP Lovecraft
    "The higher the prevalence of infectious diseases the higher the probability of totalitarian political attitudes."
    -Dr. Jordan Peterson Sept 2017
    "The search for a moral equivalent of war continues to define American Liberalism to this day."

JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What are your thoughts on desensitising / resensitising your body in order to make gains again?

example:

Worked your way to being able to squat 3 x week with considerable volume. Do you either bump up to 4 x and have minimal gain (repeated bout affect) (diminishing returns), increased chance of injury, overuse, or cut back to 1 x week, (or no squatting whatsoever) to 'resensitise' your body to the stimulus of squatting. With a short term loss of strength but a net gain in the medium term?

This is with strength in mind

*edit: This is ignoring the fact that by stopping squatting and doing an alternative movement, eg leg press will provide a different stimulus and new adaptations will be made which will also add to the ability to develop further squat strength once you continue

It kinda makes sense in theory, but havent so far been brave enough to 'do less' let alone stop doing the competition movement all together, for fear of losing your grove in the movement. Maybe if you have a long time till your next powerlifting comp and you are fairly advanced this would be a good idea?
    Last edited by JamesA1990; 03-22-2017 at 07:38 PM.
    Twinkcel fitness log

tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JamesA1990 View Post
    What are your thoughts on desensitising / resensitising your body in order to make gains again?

example:

Worked your way to being able to squat 3 x week with considerable volume. Do you either bump up to 4 x and have minimal gain (repeated bout affect) (diminishing returns), increased chance of injury, overuse, or cut back to 1 x week, (or no squatting whatsoever) to 'resensitise' your body to the stimulus of squatting. With a short term loss of strength but a net gain in the medium term?

This is with strength in mind

*edit: This is ignoring the fact that by stopping squatting and doing an alternative movement, eg leg press will provide a different stimulus and new adaptations will be made which will also add to the ability to develop further squat strength once you continue

It kinda makes sense in theory, but havent so far been brave enough to 'do less' let alone stop doing the competition movement all together, for fear of losing your grove in the movement. Maybe if you have a long time till your next powerlifting comp and you are fairly advanced this would be a good idea?
    To be honest, i've never tried it. Squatting 3x per week seems a bit too much unless you are highlight training for a close comp. The closest ive done to either scheme, is to reduce weight, but increase volume OR pick a different exercise that recreates the squat motion. I just dont think that there is such a huge link between the de/resensitizing scheme. Perhaps if you do pause reps for 10ish reps then i think youd see more benefits. Does that answer your question or do you have more?

Edit: I saw an article similar to this on generation iron earlier, but i cant find it
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.” - The Nameless City by HP Lovecraft
    "The higher the prevalence of infectious diseases the higher the probability of totalitarian political attitudes."
    "The search for a moral equivalent of war continues to define American Liberalism to this day."

JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    To be honest, i've never tried it. Squatting 3x per week seems a bit too much unless you are highlight training for a close comp. The closest ive done to either scheme, is to reduce weight, but increase volume OR pick a different exercise that recreates the squat motion. I just dont think that there is such a huge link between the de/resensitizing scheme. Perhaps if you do pause reps for 10ish reps then i think youd see more benefits. Does that answer your question or do you have more?
    Kinda,

If you think about the SAID principle, the more you squat the better you get at it. The more you do, the better you get. But at the same time there is the conflicting principle of the more you do, the lower the effect of that training (repeated bout effect and diminishing returns).

I guess the answer lies somewhere in the middle of doing a lot, but not too much that you cant recover / adding in variation to give the body a 'fresh' stimulus

The idea of dropping the squat completely is quite drastic with the goal of increasing your squat but ill look into it more
    Twinkcel fitness log

**** Love, I Want Cash. BlackScorpio91's Avatar
    BlackScorpio91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackScorpio91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackScorpio91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackScorpio91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackScorpio91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackScorpio91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackScorpio91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackScorpio91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackScorpio91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackScorpio91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackScorpio91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What are your thoughts on full body workouts vs upper/lower?

Originally Posted by JamesA1990 View Post
    Kinda,

If you think about the SAID principle, the more you squat the better you get at it. The more you do, the better you get. But at the same time there is the conflicting principle of the more you do, the lower the effect of that training (repeated bout effect and diminishing returns).

I guess the answer lies somewhere in the middle of doing a lot, but not too much that you cant recover / adding in variation to give the body a 'fresh' stimulus

The idea of dropping the squat completely is quite drastic with the goal of increasing your squat but ill look into it more
    Your raise a good point. I am just a big fan of HIIT and mixing things up or the sh principle. As long as you dont lower the overall work on the muscles, you should be ok. You may need to play around with the reps amd perhaps the exercises itself. What i'm trying to say is that you need to match the work. Lets say that you assign some number scales to different aspects of a lift: like time under tension, amount of work needed, and overall time it takes you to complete the set (i'm just using those to illustrate my concept). So lets say that you put as little time under tension as possible and rush to get a very low time, but the work is really high. And those 3 add up to to say...30. The TUT and Overall Time are small but the work load is super high. You could still get a high composite. Obviously, youd want to score a 30 so you adjust the TUT and overall time and do the work at as high as you can manage to boost your score. Do you see what i'm trying to get at? It may not make sense because i'm orbiting saturn atm on my back pain meds.
    Originally Posted by BlackScorpio91 View Post
    What are your thoughts on full body workouts vs upper/lower?
    I'm all for anything that you do Efficiently and correct. As long as you adequately stress your muscles into growth without setting yourself up for injury, then i say go for it. The only issue i have with upper/lower is it doesnt seem like you can put in enough ISO work on this or that group. I do chest/back, bi's/tri's and shoulders/legs. I can iso every exercise if i want and i'm really only targeting certain muscles. I mean, with upper/lower, it seems like you would breeze through the workout without REALLY taking the time for the intricate work. And also, upper body would take a looooong time to adequately train. 45 min-1 hour and 15 minutes is really all you should be in the gym. 1.5 hours is pushing it though. People who take 2 hours to train probably do a chit ton of miscing in between sets and letting their heart rates drop. No bueno

because MERICA that's why TheAmericano's Avatar
    TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

What i mean by proper education is how to TRAIN (putting together a solid regiment), training efficiently (knowing what exercises are just fluff, and what exercises EFFICIENTLY train what muscle groups, PROPER form)

The thing with noob gains is that in normal circumstances, you cannot build muscle AND lose body fat because they are two different energy processes. It is the difference between taking a left turn and a right turn. When you are a noob, you are shocking your body so much that it literally doesnt know HOW to JUST build muscle or lose fat. After around 6 weeks to 2 months, the neuromuscular system learns to adapt by regulating muscle fiber recruitment, Heart rates and the fuel used to keep you going
    Are noob gains a one time thing or could you

- Go months without training and get back on the wagon and get noob gain results ?

- list of exercises are just fluff, and what exercises EFFICIENTLY give you gains,
    - I'm sorry; I couldn't hear your complaints over the sound of all this freedom!

~ Merica

- Everybody wants to make it, but nobody wants to put in the work!

From Bones to Brawn SkinnyBeast24's Avatar
    SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by TheAmericano View Post
    Are noob gains a one time thing or could you

- Go months without training and get back on the wagon and get noob gain results ?

- list of exercises are just fluff, and what exercises EFFICIENTLY give you gains,
    Check out this article on detraining.

http://sci-fit.net/2017/detraining-retraining/

Read up on myonuclei.
    Bench 315x1 - Squat 415x1 - Deadlift 515x1 Total = 1,245

3/4/5 Club as of 8-23-2019. Feels good man.

M.S. Exercise Science (2018)
    Certified by: NSCA C.S.C.S, NASM-CPT

6'5 Manmore, 230 pounds, 15% body-fat (Bod Pod tested)

COLTS (football) - Lakers (LeGOAT) - Indians (Baseball) - Uconn Huskies (college) - USA Soccer

TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz

This is a great way to explain it and I was wondering the same thing.

So it seem you can only do one process at a given time?

Originally Posted by TheDukeUSMC View Post
    This is a great way to explain it and I was wondering the same thing.

So it seem you can only do one process at a given time?
    Unless you hop on the bicycle then no. Its all about setting an over all goal and then setting up more short term goals, like 'i want to put up this weight on this lift' or i want to weigh this much by this point' or lose X amount of inches off my body in x amount of weeks

Kanvus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kanvus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kanvus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kanvus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kanvus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kanvus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kanvus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kanvus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kanvus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kanvus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kanvus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey tank one question about the movements, Which one do you think is more effective in developing, strength and stability for the core.

Specifically to these one exercise, Back Hyperextensions: Is it better to do a full range of motion, or just do an isometric hold?

TheBertMane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBertMane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBertMane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBertMane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBertMane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBertMane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBertMane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBertMane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBertMane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBertMane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBertMane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm 5'6 and now 275. Should I weight train or HIIT cardio? I've been weight training with small break times in between sets(less than 30 second) to get a "cardio" effect. Is that effect at this point since I'm so big?
    *Beatbox crew
    *Always last poster in thread crew

*We're on this earth to rustle each others jimmies*

Hey tank one question about the movements, Which one do you think is more effective in developing, strength and stability for the core.

Specifically to these one exercise, Back Hyperextensions: Is it better to do a full range of motion, or just do an isometric hold?
    Strength and stability is absolutely necessary. The stronger your core, the better your posture. When you have a weak core, you tend to put all your weight on your heels when you stand still. Engage the abs more often and the weight is spread out over the entire plantar surface

Hyper extensions only focus on the low back, glutes and hams. It is a GREAT exercise, but additional core ISO is needed.
    Originally Posted by TheBertMane View Post
    I'm 5'6 and now 275. Should I weight train or HIIT cardio? I've been weight training with small break times in between sets(less than 30 second) to get a "cardio" effect. Is that effect at this point since I'm so big?
    What is your overall go? Specifically: like weight, bf%, goals on exercises etc

Personally, iwould bulk now since your bf% is up there. You will be able to put on LBM easier this way and then work on cutting. When you cut, that is when you want to really try the HIIT weight training

ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Strength and stability is absolutely necessary. The stronger your core, the better your posture. When you have a weak core, you tend to put all your weight on your heels when you stand still. Engage the abs more often and the weight is spread out over the entire plantar surface
    Damn.. didn't know it's that essential. It seems like core strength is the limiting factor as to how much weight you can lift. I noticed over the years that movements/lifts become easier the more you dial in and give better focus towards developing core strength.

Is there any website that tells you every study of a particular topic of interest? Like for example, a website that could tell you exactly how many studies have been done on cold shower therapy and it gives the consensus on the topic. Is there any place like that on the web or do you just have to be well read on all studies you want to talk about?

I always wondered when I read a study and at the end it said this information is not conclusive yet none of these articles ever go to detail something like "40 studies say cold showers are good etc but there are 60 studies that show otherwise"...
    Word is Bond

aakkt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aakkt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aakkt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aakkt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aakkt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aakkt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aakkt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aakkt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aakkt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aakkt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aakkt has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Damn.. didn't know it's that essential. It seems like core strength is the limiting factor as to how much weight you can lift. I noticed over the years that movements/lifts become easier the more you dial in and give better focus towards developing core strength.

Is there any website that tells you every study of a particular topic of interest? Like for example, a website that could tell you exactly how many studies have been done on cold shower therapy and it gives the consensus on the topic. Is there any place like that on the web or do you just have to be well read on all studies you want to talk about?

I always wondered when I read a study and at the end it said this information is not conclusive yet none of these articles ever go to detail something like "40 studies say cold showers are good etc but there are 60 studies that show otherwise"...
    There are websites which tell you how many studies include a phrase i.e. You can search for studies which have "cold shower therapy" in the title, specify date ranges etc and it will show you how many results and of course the studies. However, there will never be a website that will say "x ineffective x effective" or something along those lines. If you want something like that reviews are what you should be reading.

Hey tank next question, Fasted cardio: How does it work?

I'm thinking, since you haven't had an intake of energy yet(food), your body will turn to excess energy(fat) to use during the activity,does fasted cardio burn fat better than, doing cardio but having eaten something prior to that?

Hey tank next question, Fasted cardio: How does it work?

I'm thinking, since you haven't had an intake of energy yet(food), your body will turn to excess energy(fat) to use during the activity,does fasted cardio burn fat better than, doing cardio but having eaten something prior to that?
    Personally, i'm not a fan of it, but that is how you do it in the military. You will adjust to it though. Anyway, it works not by burnign fat but by burning ketone bodies (after glucose/glycogen stroages are spent). To burn fat as the primary energy source, you have to deplete the glucose and glycogen storages. They are what fuel you for the bulk of your exercise regiment. But when you fast over night, you go through the reserves much faster and switch to ketone bodies. To strictly use fat as the energy source, you need to train at an intensity where you get your heart rate up to around 40%-60% of its max and keep it there for ~30 minutes or longer. This is called lipolysis

ToningWasTooHarshForMe atgbrahsrs's Avatar
    atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    progressive overload on big compounds as key to bbing size with time or something else
    communist until you get rich
    rightwing until financially secure
    atheist until the plane starts falling
    slootist until you get married
    muslim after you get married

Originally Posted by atgbrahsrs View Post
    progressive overload on big compounds as key to bbing size with time or something else
    Think of it more like the overload principle. If you dont continuously increase the demand on the body, then you will regress. So you need to increase the time under tension, # of reps, mode, frquency etc.

TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz TheDukeUSMC has the mod powerz
    Do you like Starting Strength?

TheBertMane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBertMane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBertMane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBertMane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBertMane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBertMane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBertMane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBertMane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBertMane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBertMane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBertMane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    What is your overall go? Specifically: like weight, bf%, goals on exercises etc

Personally, iwould bulk now since your bf% is up there. You will be able to put on LBM easier this way and then work on cutting. When you cut, that is when you want to really try the HIIT weight training
    I want to look like Steve cook(my ultimate goal). But that gives you an idea. I'm pretty sure my bf is 39%. It was 34% when I was 250.
    *Beatbox crew
    *Always last poster in thread crew

*We're on this earth to rustle each others jimmies*

Originally Posted by TheDukeUSMC View Post
    Do you like Starting Strength?
    Never heard of it. I'll have to do some research on it though
    Originally Posted by TheBertMane View Post
    I want to look like Steve cook(my ultimate goal). But that gives you an idea. I'm pretty sure my bf is 39%. It was 34% when I was 250.
    Steve is 250 lbs @ ~5% Body fat. this means he has basically around ~12.5 lbs of body fat (this is assuming he is ACTUALLY at 5% BF though). How tall are you? You need to figure out how much body fat you have, in lbs/kg not in %. This will give you an idea of what you need to lose and how much LBM you'll need to add. And I can already tell you that you will need to add on a substantial amount of LBM. Sinc eyou can't add LBM AND lose bf% at the same time, you need to be doing these in cycles. The easiest way to approach is to add on some muscle now. Its was easier to add muscle with your bf% high. ~12% is usually considered optimal but you work with what youve got. Anyway, you need to be taking in a few hundred kcals more in a day than you burn. This way, you will still be able to build, but not pick up too much fat. After say....4 months of this, then switch to cutting for a few months and keep going down that road.

Ive already covered in detail some optimal ideas for cutting and building so thumb back through this thread and do some reading,t hen come back with specific questions

TheTopY is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheTopY is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheTopY is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheTopY is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheTopY is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheTopY is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheTopY is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheTopY is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheTopY is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheTopY is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheTopY is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    OP are you positive about pull ups being better than chin ups? I've read that chin ups actually activate the lats more than pull ups while pull ups may use more of the upper back.

Originally Posted by TheTopY View Post
    OP are you positive about pull ups being better than chin ups? I've read that chin ups actually activate the lats more than pull ups while pull ups may use more of the upper back.
    The ONLY difference between a chin up and a pull up is the position of the raidus. When you supinate the hands, the radius pivots around the ulna, which is what happens in a pull up (palms forward). Chin ups (palms towards you) just dont pronate the hands. The factor that controls lat involvement is the width between your hands. The farther out you put your grip, the more involved the lats become. If you do a super close grip, lat involvement falls

Hey tank, I've been hearing about when you do too much activity your muscles go in a catabolic state in which they break down to give you more energy, is there any truth to this and if not how does your body go catabolic?

Hey tank, I've been hearing about when you do too much activity your muscles go in a catabolic state in which they break down to give you more energy, is there any truth to this and if not how does your body go catabolic?
    you will only use muscle tissue as energy is in a starvation situation like anorexia. It is possible to catabolize muscle in VERY high stress situations like crash dieting an exercising though. If you dont eat and you are doing something that is very high in intensity like military assessment and selection (for BUDS or Q course). You'll just about always know if you are burning muscle because you'll smell like ammonia, but amonia doesnt ALWAYS mean you are burning valuable muscle

bruh what's your opinion on the svend press?

It takes so much ****ing energy so I'd definitely only be using it at the very end of a chest session for a burn out, but I've wandered what are the benefits since it's essentially a balls to the wall isometric finishing move to a chest specific workout?
    Last edited by ClevageGobbler; 04-03-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    Word is Bond