Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by livsmith86 View Post
    Thanks for the resources about fats, I feel I finally have an understanding.

I actually find I struggle getting enough fat in my diet, I think I'll try adding soy milk(I eat plant based), nuts and avocados to start with.
    No reason to struggle getting fats eating plant based. Nuts, nut butter, olives, avocado, coconut oil, using olive oil on salad, earth balance on toast, etc are all ways to get your fats in.
    2 time survivor of The Great Misc Outages of 2022

Survivor of PHP/API Outage of Feb 2023

AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    [QUOTE=Spicywaffle;1475580401]I'm a newb when it comes to nutrition so I apologize for coming off as an idiot. (long post, sorry)

I've been researching multi's and from my understanding they are only needed if you lack nutrients in a certain areas (you sit in an office all day so you take vitamin D3). According to Chronometer, I hit 96% of my nutrition goals; I'm low in B3 (60% RDA), potassium (57%), zinc (71%), magnesium (99%), fiber (92%), and omega 6 (92%). I do eat bananas but the recommended amount of potassium is so high.

Here are the foods I ate that particular day: steamed broccoli and peas, banana, mixed berries, chicken, whole milk, whole eggs, Greek yogurt, oatmeal, fish oil (10 grams), 2 scoops of whey, chia seeds, grapeseed oil, peanut butter, and 90 oz of water. My macros are: 1990 calories, 181.2 g protein, 134.5 g carbs, and 70.6 g fat. I'm 6'1, 203 pounds.

I want to change up my fruits and vegetables from week to week but this poses a problem in hitting all my micro nutrient goals. (I'm in a caloric deficit). For example, if one week I'm low in potassium but high in niacin and it's vice versa the following week, how would that affect health over a year? Also, how am I supposed to hit RDA for potassium? The most I see in multivitamins is 3% and that's if they even include potassium. I know other foods like sweet potatoes, spinach, avocados all are high in potassium, but variety would be nice.

Next question about multivitamins is absorption. Would there be a benefit in talking a multi and splitting up the dosage into 3 servings throughout the day? How would something like bioperine help or hinder absorption (if I remember correctly it allows nutrients to be absorbed through the blood stream)? I've also read that certain types of vitamins aren't even absorbed (i.e. calcium that comes from other sources besides food). Clarity would be nice!

The RDA is the lower limits for what you need in a day, correct? Has there been any conclusive research done on what the optimal level for each nutrients are? What about things like coq10, resveratrol, inositol?

Lastly on this topic: should I be aiming to get the full colors of fruits and vegetables everyday or is it fine if they are spread out over a month?

Now onto greens. I've been contemplating supplementing with the following: spurlina (5 g), reshi mushrooms (2.5 g), curcumin (500 mg), boswellia serrata (2.5 g), and bio pirnine (20 mg). Is it really worth it or do you feel like it's a waste of money? If you were to hypothetically have two people with the same genetics on the same diet: one takes multi's and greens and one doesn't take either. What would be the main differences over a lifetime? (I assume this answer would be different if looking at someone with good genetics and someone who landed on the wrong side of Darwin's beard.)

Certain ingredients cover the same avenues, i.e. curcumin, boswellia serrata, fish oil, collagen, etc., all in one way or another help with joint pain. If one is taking fish oil would there really be any benefit to doubling up on supplements that do the same thing? (I don't have joint pain now but after years of lifting could develop it.)

Lastly, a few questions regarding pre

I am not a nutrition expert by any means, but I do know you can have your doctor check all of your vitamin levels. This will give you an actual accurate idea of what you may or may not need. For example, I personally was feeling horrible a while back - aches, fatigue, dry hair etc. At my physical I told the doc about it - she checked my levels and my thyroid. My vitamin D was extremely low and my thyroid was a little as well. We began by treating the Vitamin D .. because surprise to me but low Vitamin D seems to be linked to low thyroid. I have to take my Vit D mega dose and my daily in my multi or get out of whack regardless. -- So my advice on vitamins is start there at the doctor.

klaximilian is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) klaximilian is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) klaximilian is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) klaximilian is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) klaximilian is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) klaximilian is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) klaximilian is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) klaximilian is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) klaximilian is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) klaximilian is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) klaximilian is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by muruku View Post
    Yeap. Poop includes dead cells, bacteria and water.
    ...as well as cholesterol, bile pigments, and digestive juices secreted from the pancreas.

So yea, we'd still light up the porcelain throne with fury.
    Snapchat/Instagram: Mimsthe3rd

T/K Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168429013

muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by livsmith86 View Post
    Thanks for the resources about fats, I feel I finally have an understanding.

I actually find I struggle getting enough fat in my diet, I think I'll try adding soy milk(I eat plant based), nuts and avocados to start with.
    Don't forget tahini!
    You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good.
    � Jerry West �
    How to Upgrade Your Life: A Primer On Diet And Fitness
    https://guavarilla.wordpress.com/fitness-guide/

Hickman86 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How many sets and reps do you all do when working out?

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Hickman86 View Post
    Depends, if you are on a proven routine it will outline all of that for you.
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

partydave is on a distinguished road. (+10) partydave is on a distinguished road. (+10) partydave is on a distinguished road. (+10) partydave is on a distinguished road. (+10) partydave is on a distinguished road. (+10) partydave is on a distinguished road. (+10) partydave is on a distinguished road. (+10) partydave is on a distinguished road. (+10) partydave is on a distinguished road. (+10) partydave is on a distinguished road. (+10) partydave is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Not a stupid question, but something I overheard in the gym last week.
    "I've stopped bulking because I'm getting weak. I was much stronger when cutting"
    Last edited by partydave; 12-20-2016 at 06:09 AM.

gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by partydave View Post
    "I've stopped bulking because I'm getting week. I was much stronger when cutting"
    'Week'; well I suppose that would be a problem.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Hickman86 View Post
    Sets and reps are not primary programming variables so if answered directly, it wouldn't tell you much.

Intensity, Exertion and Volume are the 3 fundamentals. Generally I use high intensity, high volume and controlled exertion (keep bar speed moderatey high) for core lifts, high volume and high exertion (keep intensity down to about 60-70% of 1RM) for accessories. Occasionally I venture into rep max territory mainly to test my progress

As it turns out I do many sets of 1-6 reps for core exercises and 2 or 3 sets of 10-20 reps on accessories.

Originally Posted by partydave View Post
    "I've stopped bulking because I'm getting week. I was much stronger when cutting"
    If they are now eating a heavy carb load before the workout whereas they weren't before, that may produce feelings of sluggishness which affect perceptions of performance.

partydave is on a distinguished road. (+10) partydave is on a distinguished road. (+10) partydave is on a distinguished road. (+10) partydave is on a distinguished road. (+10) partydave is on a distinguished road. (+10) partydave is on a distinguished road. (+10) partydave is on a distinguished road. (+10) partydave is on a distinguished road. (+10) partydave is on a distinguished road. (+10) partydave is on a distinguished road. (+10) partydave is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by gbullock32 View Post
    'Week'; well I suppose that would be a problem.
    Oh damn, my "English as a second language" is showing

Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The package on this pickle I ate said it had zero calories. Does that mean I can eat infinite pickles? And what happens to them after I eat them? Do they just pass through? Did I get any benefit from eating this pickle (besides the experience of eating a pickle)?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Sweetums6000 View Post
    The package on this pickle I ate said it had zero calories. Does that mean I can eat infinite pickles? And what happens to them after I eat them? Do they just pass through? Did I get any benefit from eating this pickle (besides the experience of eating a pickle)?
    They come out the same shape so I would assume so.

juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Sweetums6000 View Post
    IIRC - US labelling laws allow anything under 10 calories per serving to be labelled as 0 calories. So there's probably a couple calories, but yes, you can generally eat pickles (and cucumbers for that matter) at will without having a significant effect on your calorie budget. They do contain a fair amount of sodium though, so if you have a medical condition that requires you monitor your sodium intake, they could be detrimental

Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    How important is pre and post workout nutrition???

I'm on a bulk and am wondering how important the couple of hours before and after my training are? It seems like there are lots of blogs and articles suggesting it's super important to get lots of carbs and protein immediately following your training. Does it really matter though as long as you hit your daily macros... Thoughts?
    Last edited by Millz12323; 12-20-2016 at 08:40 AM.

Oatmealman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oatmealman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oatmealman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oatmealman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oatmealman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oatmealman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oatmealman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oatmealman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oatmealman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oatmealman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oatmealman99 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Millz12323 View Post
    How important is pre and post workout nutrition???

I'm on a bulk and am wondering how important the couple of hours before and after my training are? It seems like there are lots of blogs and articles suggesting it's super important to get lots of carbs and protein immediately following your training. Does it really matter though as long as you bit your daily macros... Thoughts?
    Read the sticky by Alan Aragon.

sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Stupid question here:

Is there absorption issues when it comes to eating large amounts of calories in 1 sitting versus spread out?
    I recognize the rule of TEF and its cumulative and not on a per meal basis (10% is 10% regardless of how you shape it).

But I had an interesting conversation that the body cannot ~properly~ absorb larger meals with fiber, fats and mixed macronutrients vs. smaller similar meals.

True? lol
    Been playing with shafts and balls since '75.

Lyle has written a piece about the maximum your body can absorb - it's a pretty titanic amount IIRC

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    IDK drizz, I tend to think the body is well adapted to store/use large meals.

Here was a 2 vs 3 meal study.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18053311
    Acute effects on metabolism and appetite profile of one meal difference in the lower range of meal frequency.

Eating three meals compared with two meals had no effects on 24 h energy expenditure, diet-induced thermogenesis, activity-induced energy expenditure and sleeping metabolic rate. Eating three meals compared with two meals increased 24 h fat oxidation, but decreased the amount of fat oxidised from the breakfast.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Here's one:

Is progressive overload really the cause of muscle gain? Or is it simply a consequence of gaining muscle or improving neural efficiency.

KrisMM83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KrisMM83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KrisMM83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KrisMM83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KrisMM83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KrisMM83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KrisMM83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KrisMM83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KrisMM83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KrisMM83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KrisMM83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    New one..

Is there any scientific explanation why I feel hungrier on rest days? Or could it be in my head?

Thanks!

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by KrisMM83 View Post
    New one..

Is there any scientific explanation why I feel hungrier on rest days? Or could it be in my head?

Thanks!
    1. Training and the rise in MPS require calories. You're probably not eating enough on your training days causing you to be in an actual deficit that day, making you extra hungry the next day.

2. MPS is still high the next day, especially in beginners and if you train at night This will make you extra hungry since MPS requires a lot of energy.

3. Training can suppress hunger causing you to under eat on training days.

4. Habits. You will get used to eating patterns when you've used them for a while.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Here's one:

Is progressive overload really the cause of muscle gain? Or is it simply a consequence of gaining muscle or improving neural efficiency.
    Perhaps it goes both ways?

New one..

Thanks!
    Exercise can supress appetite for many, also you have something (exercise) distracting you; so that can be why.

KrisMM83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KrisMM83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KrisMM83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KrisMM83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KrisMM83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KrisMM83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KrisMM83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KrisMM83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KrisMM83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KrisMM83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KrisMM83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    1. Training and the rise in MPS require calories. You're probably not eating enough on your training days causing you to be in an actual deficit that day, making you extra hungry the next day.

2. MPS is still high the next day, especially in beginners and if you train at night This will make you extra hungry since MPS requires a lot of energy.

3. Training can suppress hunger causing you to under eat on training days.

4. Habits. You will get used to eating patterns when you've used them for a while.

Perhaps it goes both ways?
    Great response! thanks for this!

Originally Posted by gbullock32 View Post
    Exercise can supress appetite for many, also you have something (exercise) distracting you; so that can be why.
    Thank you!

Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by juggernaut74ia View Post
    IIRC - US labelling laws allow anything under 10 calories per serving to be labelled as 0 calories. So there's probably a couple calories, but yes, you can generally eat pickles (and cucumbers for that matter) at will without having a significant effect on your calorie budget. They do contain a fair amount of sodium though, so if you have a medical condition that requires you monitor your sodium intake, they could be detrimental
    A couple calories, eh? That's disappointing. That reduces my potential pickle intake from infinite to less than a thousand per day. Oh well, I didn't really have infinite dollars to buy infinite pickles anyway.

They come out the same shape so I would assume so.
    Mine usually come out more like soft serve ice cream...

muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sonnydfrizzy View Post
    Stupid question here:

Is there absorption issues when it comes to eating large amounts of calories in 1 sitting versus spread out?
    I recognize the rule of TEF and its cumulative and not on a per meal basis (10% is 10% regardless of how you shape it).

But I had an interesting conversation that the body cannot ~properly~ absorb larger meals with fiber, fats and mixed macronutrients vs. smaller similar meals.

True? lol

here's my bro science POV:

IME, it depends? I usually poop out high fiber meals pretty quickly especially if I take in lots of liquids during and after.. but high protein and high fat meals usually take a while. like I'm still pooping stuff from my sunday dinner.

Also, I notice that dairy tends to slow digestion.. I think it's because it affects the acidity in the stomach and delays digestion.

total broscience so take it what it's worth
    New one..

Thanks!
    IME, it's mainly due to boredom. Also exercise tends to blunt my appetite.
    You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good.
    � Jerry West �

Here's one:

IMO, yes. if there is no stimulus, there is no need for the body to initiate a response.
    � Jerry West �

Here's one:

This is like one of those zen questions that has no real answer, like the tree falling in the forest or the sound of one hand clapping, but I lean more towards progressive overload causing muscle gain than the other way around. My reasoning is that one is an automatic response, and the other merely creates a condition that we choose to respond to in a certain way.

If we created some sort of automated weight-lifting robot, and programmed it to:

A- Make itself bigger and stronger in response to doing more work, and

B- Do more work in response to getting bigger and stronger,

and we gave it the ability to consume resources as needed to accomplish those tasks, then we would have created a positive feedback loop where A causes B and B causes A, and once we set the system in motion it would continue endlessly until some outside force intervened or the robot consumed the entire planet.

Humans don't work like that though. We do automatically get bigger and stronger in response to doing more work (assuming we consume enough resources), but we don't automatically do more work in response to getting bigger and stronger. That's outside stimulus that we choose to introduce into the system.

Of course this ignores the question of whether free will exists, but that's a whole 'nother debate.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post

I wonder, if one were a bit deficient on calories for something like 20 hours after training but not low on protein intake per meal afterwards (got enough protein in post workout meal within 1-2 hours, or about 30grams) for the rest of the day, would accumulated muscle tissue take a big hit if you ended up recovering an overall energy/calorie surplus the next day?

This has happened to me before plenty of times. I've worked out from something like 11a-12pm, had a post-workout meal consisting of something like 50carbs, 30protein within 1-2 hours (followed by other meals in the day with plenty of protein), but then things happen throughout the day and I end up not having access to enough overall calories, but protein isn't a problem. Happens sometimes on Friday when I have less time, then I resume a surplus on Saturday, which is something like 12 hours after training the previous day.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    I wonder, if one were a bit deficient on calories for something like 20 hours after training but not low on protein intake per meal afterwards (got enough protein in post workout meal within 1-2 hours, or about 30grams) for the rest of the day, would accumulated muscle tissue take a big hit if you ended up recovering an overall energy/calorie surplus the next day?

This has happened to me before plenty of times. I've worked out from something like 11a-12pm, had a post-workout meal consisting of something like 50carbs, 30protein within 1-2 hours (followed by other meals in the day with plenty of protein), but then things happen throughout the day and I end up not having access to enough overall calories, but protein isn't a problem. Happens sometimes on Friday when I have less time, then I resume a surplus on Saturday, which is something like 12 hours after training the previous day.
    At the stage where you're at, you've been lifting for a while and you're lean, you'll need a surplus to maximise muscle gain. Not being in surplus for the first 20 hours after training would likely be short changing yourself significantly.

That being said, consuming a lot of calories in the pre workout time frame could mitigate or even solve the 'problem'.