Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast
    polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Cantplankwell View Post
    Evening Cardio: 45 min easy walk
    My only cardio AKA walks.

Have been glancing at your 5/3/1 it appears to be working, how are you feeling about it,if you have time to share. Been thinking of going to it, or maybe a 3/2/1 Wave style program. Any feedback you could share is appreciated. Thanks
    My journal, not detailed, but heck I never keep track of much anyhow. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121196291&p=863931421#post863931421

leader in trailing technology

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    My only cardio AKA walks.

Have been glancing at your 5/3/1 it appears to be working, how are you feeling about it,if you have time to share. Been thinking of going to it, or maybe a 3/2/1 Wave style program. Any feedback you could share is appreciated. Thanks
    Hey PB Thanks for your interest: I am doing less higher intensity cardio this summer because I dont want to run the muscle off I am working so hard to strengthen/build. Since I walk with my wife its a good opportunity to talk and catch up on the day. Also after 7 months of ice hockey I am fairly worn down and beat up so its an easy way to burn calories without taking a hit. I plan only to do one 5k run per week moving forward.

You may have to consider my goals; becoming a better athlete in other sports I do: Hockey, and OLY weightlifting (this is new). (there are others that are minor players). I need to get my overall strength up, improve my conditioning, burn off some fat, increase lean body mass muscle....but not too much and carefully.

As for the 5/3/1 the jury is still out, as I only have 4 cycles in so far. I really like the fact that it seems to be congruent with my mantra of training with economy. With Starting strength and strong lifts the demands/ risk/reward of squatting three times per week is not worth it for me. I also dont want to "major in the minors" as one of the other board members said...that being way too many accessory excercises..at the most 2 medium and 1 light. next 2 cycles I will probably have all new PRs so I will see how well the program really is as I progress beyond them...if I do. I am not really sure how 3/2/1 would work I have no experience with a system based on that structure. Keep in mind as well that I only have so much time to devote to fitness, I can shoehorn 90 minutes in the morning before work, I cant do a marathon 2 hour+ session. 1 main lift, 2 accessories and some light conditioning should be doable in 45 minutes to an hour, this is easy with the 531.

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    5/3/1 Cycle 4 Week 2 Dead-Lift Day

Training Max 255lbs

Warm Up: skip ropes, basic version Coach Everett oly warm up

135x3
    185x3
    80%x3, 204Lbs
    85%x3, 216lbs
    90%x3+1, 229 lbs

Accessory Lifts;

Front Squats 105lbs 5 sets of 10
    Seated Box Jumps, 24" side 4 sets of 8

Conditioning:
    Was running out of time..minimal 20x25lb kettle bell swings, rest 30 seconds 5 rounds.

Notes: Started later today and ran out of time, just grabbed the only KB I have and did some swings.
    Last edited by Cantplankwell; 04-11-2017 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Forgot my +1

polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks for the info. I am similar on the cardio thing with the walks as I don't want to risk burning muscle and it breaks up my day, without needing another shower.

I no longer am playing sports other than church softball. Hockey Man gotta love that, unfortunately as much as I love the sport my feet don't on skates.

My time windows are pretty narrow and I have to watch to be sure I am not being selfish with my time in the gym, still have a house full of girls at home wife and then 16, 9, and 3 y/o, getting and staying fit I love but also want to be healthy for them. So full time job and part time business, and family gets tight.

Number 7, is what I was referring to in this list if the link work here on the site. https://www.t-nation.com/training/22-proven-rep-schemes

Look forward to seeing where this goes for you.
    My journal, not detailed, but heck I never keep track of much anyhow. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121196291&p=863931421#post863931421

Thanks for the info. I am similar on the cardio thing with the walks as I don't want to risk burning muscle and it breaks up my day, without needing another shower.

I no longer am playing sports other than church softball. Hockey Man gotta love that, unfortunately as much as I love the sport my feet don't on skates.

My time windows are pretty narrow and I have to watch to be sure I am not being selfish with my time in the gym, still have a house full of girls at home wife and then 16, 9, and 3 y/o, getting and staying fit I love but also want to be healthy for them. So full time job and part time business, and family gets tight.

Number 7, is what I was referring to in this list if the link work here on the site. https://www.t-nation.com/training/22-proven-rep-schemes

Look forward to seeing where this goes for you.
    Sounds like your a great dad! Same boat as you... family always comes first.

The only way I can fit my workouts in are getting up a 5, and getting it done, to save time I have been building up my garage gym, I work out there 80% of the time now, saves me about 30 minutes every work out day.

The 321 wave sets sound interesting, I think you more or less have to try it out and see how well you make progress and recover. Right now the 531 seems to be very recovery friendly for me, I used to feel run down all the time with crossfit, could not track my progress either, with the 5x5 and 5x3 systems its very linear but gets to be vary taxing at some point for an old fella. The 531 is so gradual, I dont feel run down at all right now.

Evening Cardio: 35 min walk, cause wendler said so.

Morning Cardio; Weekly 5k run: 27:41........ Second run of the year.

I have completed my weekly quota of cardio.

5/3/1 Cycle 4 Week 2 Bench Press Day

Training Max 136 lbs

Warm Up: Skip Rope, stretches, dislocations etc, 10 min worth of stuff

Main Lifts:

45x8
    45x5
    95x3
    80%x3, 109lbs
    85%x3, 115lbs
    90%x3+1, 122 lbs

Accessory Lifts;

More Bench Presses; 80lbs 5 sets of 10,
    Bent over barbell rows, 75lbs 4 sets of 8
    Barbell Curls 45lbs, 3 sets of 8

Conditoning:

Farmers Carrys 180lbs x 100', rest 30 seconds, 8 repetitions.

Notes: Went for my yearly physical about 2 hours after the gym and passed with flying colors: heart rate and BP were "like a teenage boy"...does this not show decent recovery? Cholesterol and Sugar were "excellent" so eating the extra eggs and other proteins and keeping a tight rein on the carbs is paying off eh? which is good news.
    Weigh in yesterday early am 183lbs, waist is 38.75" st 5'11"
    My Hex bar is in at the fitness store, need to pick that up, another piece in my home gym puzzle falls into place.
    Wanted to do face pulls today, but could not find the rope handle thingy, it was missing...one more reason to work at home.
    Squats tomorrow.

My Hex bar is in at the fitness store, need to pick that up, another piece in my home gym puzzle falls into place.
    Nice! New stuff always fun. I never had the discipline for a home gym. Owned about every piece I ever would have needed and always found it easier to go to gym. Could never get my mind right at home (unless getting together with friends to lift).

Also grats on the great numbers for the physical.

Nice! New stuff always fun. I never had the discipline for a home gym. Owned about every piece I ever would have needed and always found it easier to go to gym. Could never get my mind right at home (unless getting together with friends to lift).

Also grats on the great numbers for the physical.

Thanks

The hex bar is for farmers carrys primarily but I see there is myriad other uses.

So far the garage is working out good, I only go to the gym now on bench day now because my rack with spotter arms is not set up. I like working out at home, since one of my sons (who does crossfit) and I do some Oly lifting (i would like to compete some day) it is not big deal to miss a lift and have a drop. Its also going to be easier to do conditioning stuff like hill sprints, tire drags, sledge hammers, and sled drags and so on. I may have to tough it out in the winter though.

Thanks

The hex bar is for farmers carrys primarily but I see there is myriad other uses.

So far the garage is working out good, I only go to the gym now on bench day now because my rack with spotter arms is not set up. I like working out at home, since one of my sons (who does crossfit) and I do some Oly lifting (i would like to compete some day) it is not big deal to miss a lift and have a drop. Its also going to be easier to do conditioning stuff like hill sprints, tire drags, sledge hammers, and sled drags and so on. I may have to tough it out in the winter though.
    Nice can relate to the conditioning stuff, The Y we goto doesn't have that stuff, but works great for the family. Have been considering joining one of the local powerlifting / strongmen / crossfit gyms that has a lot of that stuff as a second place to go.

Nice can relate to the conditioning stuff, The Y we goto doesn't have that stuff, but works great for the family. Have been considering joining one of the local powerlifting / strongmen / crossfit gyms that has a lot of that stuff as a second place to go.
    Maybe you could work in a couple of conditioning days at home with some improvised stuff, if you could get the family involved doing some sort of relay kind of circuits or teams that would add a fun dimension I think. I was a member of a crossfit gym for over a year and I found it expensive, the scheduling was very restrictive, and they had a one size fits all attitude towards training. Since there are no other alternatives around other than "run of the mill public gyms" here I am on my own in my garage now.

Maybe you could work in a couple of conditioning days at home with some improvised stuff, if you could get the family involved doing some sort of relay kind of circuits or teams that would add a fun dimension I think. I was a member of a crossfit gym for over a year and I found it expensive, the scheduling was very restrictive, and they had a one size fits all attitude towards training. Since there are no other alternatives around other than "run of the mill public gyms" here I am on my own in my garage now.
    Luckily this place is priced well $25 a month and has card access for off hours and all the equip for farmers, log press, tire flips etc...

5/3/1 Cycle 4 Week 2 Squat Day

Training Max 210 lbs

Warm up: Skip Rope, yoga stretches-hip openers, dislocations etc, about 20 minutes worth of work.

Main Lifts

45x6
    45x5
    95x4
    115x3
    135x3
    155x2
    80%x3, 168 lbs
    85%x3, 179 lbs
    90%x3+1, 189lbs

Accessory Lifts

More Back squats 105 lbs 4 sets of 8
    KB overhead lunges, 25lbs 3 sets of 20

Conditioning

Beginner Snatch Complex 31kg, Snatch-Dead lift, Snatch-High Pull, Power Snatch = 1 rep. 1 rep Every minute on the minute for 10 minutes.

Cool Down:
    30 minute easy walk

Notes: Lowered the volume on the extra squats because some soft tissue in my right knee cap areas became strained/sore.

5/3/1 Cycle 4 Week 3 Military Press Day

Training Max 105lbs

Warm up: Skip rope, dislocations, stretching, some yoga stuff, 10 min worth of work

Main Lifts:

45x5
    45x5
    65x4
    75x3
    75%x5, 79lbs
    89%x3, 89lbs, (had to do 95 due to plates on hand)
    95%x1+1, 100lbs

Accessory Lifts:

71lbs 4 sets of 8
    Dips, 3 sets of 8, BW with band assistance.
    Some bicep curls in between the dips

Conditioning:

The Bear 34kg, 1 rep=power clean/front squat/push press/back squat/push press. 1 rep EMOM for 10 min.

Notes: The bear will get a lot heavier/harder in several weeks, for now I am concentrating on technique in the power clean and a smooth flow for the other components. When I am happy with technique I will add a rep. before adding much weight I think.

Evening cardio, 35 minutes or so easy walk

5/3/1 Cycle 4 Week 3 Dead Lift Day

Training Max: 255lbs

Warm up; Skip rope, dislocations; yoga stretches, hip openers, glute activators, paleo chair.....15min worth of work

Main Lifts:

135x5
    185x3
    75%x5, 191lbs
    85%x3, 216lbs
    95%x1+1, 242lbs

Accessory Works:

Front squats, 115lbs 5 sets of 8
    Seated Box Jumps 24" Box, 3 sets of 8
    Hip Clean Drills, just some hit and catch stuff when the bar was empty here and there

Conditioning:

Skipping rope; 100 singles, rest 20-30 seconds, 5 rounds of this.

Notes: This was a bomb-ass workout in my garage, the best part was no kawkwaffles bothered me or hogged the plates.

Mid week 5k run

Time; 27 min:25 sec

Notes; Weigh in; 183lbs, Waist 38.25"approx (at navel)

5/3/1 Cycle 4 Week 3 Bench Press Day

Training Max: 136lbs

Warm Up: Skip Rope, dislocations, some dynamic stretches, 10 min worth of work

Main Lifts;

45x8
    45x5
    75x5
    95x4
    75%x5, 102lbs
    85%x3, 116lbs
    95%x1+1, 129lbs

Accessory Lifts;

More Bench Presses, 80lbs 5 sets of 10, emphasis on speed with good form
    BO barbell Rows, 95lbs 3 sets of 8
    Barbell Curls 3 sets of 45

Conditioning;

Farmers Carries; 180lbs, 100' rest 30 seconds, 10 reps

Cool down;

Various stretches

Notes: None

Got up this morning, late, after having a good sleep, even that and after a cup of joe and reviewing Cues for my workout I could not get going, I felt drained, really drained, at the same time I felt like I cheated myself, its all good now. A lot of family stuff, and work issues has drained my drive away last couple of days, so instead of having some kind of sub par work out I am taking a mental health day. I have no desire to even give it a go tonight, my knees are even a little sore. Will be completing this cycle tomorrow with squat day and my next weeks de-load is going to be skipped in favor of a 0 (zero) week, I might be out of town most of the week anyway. May 1st will start at week 1 of my 5th cycle , for my progress this is where I will start to overtake some of my old PRs (dead-lift, and mil press) hopefully. Possibly to get the creative juices going I will assemble my squat rack so I don't have to use my scary improvised 2x6 squat stand anymore.

5/3/1 Cycle 4 Week 3 Squat Day

Training max 210lbs

Warm Up: Skip rope, yoga stretches, oly warm up, dislocations, paleo chair, etc, about 20 minutes today

Main Lifts

45x5
    115x4
    135x3
    155x2
    75%x5, 157lbs
    85%x3, 178 lbs (185 actually due to plates available)
    95%x1+1, 200lbs

Accessory Lifts:

More Squats 120lbs 5 sets of 10
    Barbell Box Step Ups 45lbs 3 sets of 8 on 24" Box
    Mid Hang Snatch Jump, watch video, read cues, several sets of doubles with plastic pipe
    Mid Hang Snatch Pull, watch video, read cues, sevral sets of doubles with plastic pipe

Conditioning

EMOM for 10 minutes; 1 rep each of snatch dead lift, snatch pull, power snatch. 31kg, some of these were a lot better than last time I did this, the turn over needs a lot of work.

Notes: Taking a zero week next week, I am out of town for several of the days anyway.
    Last edited by Cantplankwell; 04-22-2017 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Chage week in heading to 3

5/3/1 Cycle 5 Week 1 Military Press

Training Max 110lbs

Warm up: skip rope, dislocations, mostly upper body stretches, maybe 10 minutes tops.

Main Lifts;

45x6
    65x4
    75x2
    75%x5, 82 lbs
    80%x5, 88 lbs
    85%x5, 95 lbs (Forgot to do an +1 here!)

Accessory Lifts;

More Military Presses 65 lbs 5 sets of 10
    Dips, 4 sets of 6 with band assistance

Conditioning;

The Bear Complex; 1 power clean, 1 front squat, 1 push press, 1 back squat, 1 push press= 1 rep, 95lbs 1 rep EMOM for 10 minutes

Notes: Managed to wedge the garage door open to get our truck out, so after all I was able to get a workout in. I skipped out last week on the deload, I was needing a week off, slept in and everything probably ate too much, back to tracking that as well. BW steady at 185, Waist is 38.5 in. I am now making my protein drink with skim milk, this will drop my calories, and fat a little, I have consistently been over on my fat by as much as 70 to 80%, when hitting my protein numbers. I have to go back and fine tune some of the meals a little, most of the fat is a result of eating red meat, peanut butter, and my fav oatmeal cookies. Thing is my figures for red meat mainly come from the internet, I have no idea for sure how much fat I am getting for sure.

Evening Cardio

Raining heavily out so 35 min on the spin bike, some brake on it but still easy, no hill climbs.

5/3/1 Cycle 5 Week 1 Dead Lifts

Training Max 265lbs

Warm ups: Skip Rope, dislocations, hip openers, glute activation, some yoga stuff, 15-20 minutes worth of stuff

Main Lifts;

135x5
    185x3
    75%x5, 198lbs
    80%x5, 212lbs
    85%x5, 225lbs

Accessory Lifts;

Front Squats, 105lbs 5 sets of 10
    Seated Box Jumps, 1 set of 10@24", 3 sets of 10 @ 30"
    Hard Planks, 4 sets 30 seconds on, 30 seconds rest.

Conditioning:

Skip Rope: 50 fast singles, 25x25lb kettle bell swings, 3 rounds, no rest.

Notes: I keep forgetting to try for extras on the 85% set for some reason, could easily get 3. I must get into the garage earlier, since I am working at home now I have lost the sense of urgency to get out earlier and get it done. I ran out of time to get the all of the conditioning in, and could have easily fitted more planks in, I should have done 100 singles for the skip rope. Should really by working on my double unders there. Anyway work in progress.

Evening Cardio

35 minute easy walk

5K day Day This morning

Time 27:36

Today was a test of wills;

Will I go out in the wet/cold and do this?
    Will I beat the last time?

Could have beat my last time by 30 seconds if I had not developed an ankle gimp 1k into the run, I went below pace for another 1.5k until it passed.

Todays consumption (this is new will try to keep it up)

2786 Calories, 124 grams Protein, 105.8 grams of Fat,......should I be tracking carbs? Let me know how to do a better job.

5/3/1 Cycle 5 Week 1 Bench Press Day

Training Max 141lbs

Warm up, Skipping rope, dislocation, arm circles, wrists and elbows, 7-8 minutes

Main Lifts-Bench Presses

45x8 lbs
    65x5 lbs
    95x3 lbs
    75%x5, 105 lbs
    80%x5, 113 lbs
    85%x5+1, 119 lbs

Accessory Lifts;

More Bench Presses; 77.5 lbs, 5 sets of 10
    Bent over barbell rows; 77.5 lbs, 4 sets of 8
    Chin Ups : 4 sets of 5 (band assisted)

Conditioning;

Farmers Carries; 170 lbs, 200ft...rest 30 seconds repeat 5x

Cool down: more stretches 10 minutres

Notes: First work out at home for bench press day, new bench; padding is hard. Neighbors must think I am nuts if they saw the farmers carry, to get the 200 feet I had to start at the back of the garage walk down the driveway, across the road turn and come back. Slightly less weight and a longer distance had my forearms screaming like they never have before. This distance/reps might be perfect.

Nutrition ;

(I am going to try and keep this up) I am really open to suggestions so if anyone gives a crap sound off. I really dont know where I am going here, other than I am not interested in a traditional bulk, I am more of a strength and sports performance person who needs to add some muscle and lower body fat (and wants to have a leaner athletic look. I think a realistic goal is 185-190lbs around 15-18% BF

Calories; 2648, Carbs: 295g, Protein; 178g, Fat: 97g

With these numbers right now I am going to go to bed hungry. My protein is where I need it, not so sure about the others, continual weigh in should tell, been hovering around 185 lbs at probably 25-26% bf. I am not ready to post pictures, not comfortable with that yet.

tomorrow is squat day, Ill eat a big breakfast.

5/3/1 Cycle 5 Week 1 Squat Day

Training Max 220lbs

Warm Up: Skipping rope, dislocations, glute activations, hip openers, 15 min worth of work

Main Lifts..High Bar Back Squats

45x6
    115x5
    75%x5, 165 lbs
    80%x5, 176 lbs
    85%x5+1, 187lbs

Accessory Lifts:

More Squats 105lbs, 5 sets of 10
    Barbell Box Step ups 67.5lbs, 3 sets of 8

Conditioning;

Beginners Snatch Complex 1 rep= Snatch dead lift+snatch pull+power snatch 31kg, EMOM for 10 minutes.

No Cool down today, out of time, I guess putting away the equipment

Notes: I thought I read somewhere its not BBB template if both accessories are not 5 sets of 10, considering the flexibility in the accessory lifts does it really matter?

Daily Nutrition: Calories;3013, Carbs;256g, Protein;143g, Fat; 203g This is some sort of surplus over my apparent TDEE of roughly 2600 to 2700

Yesterday;

Rest Day

Calories: 2027, Carbs: 164g, protein: 112g, Fat: 108g

Today;

Light Cardio; 35 minute walk

Calories: 2343, Carbs: 248g, Protein: 117g, Fat: 100g

Tomorrow start week 2 cycle 5...Military Press day

whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    So, you've been following 5/3/1 since December? You must like it, then. Your workouts look like a lot of volume, as well. Nice journal!