JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000)

Monitor or gpu chitting itself, please help

So i was running pcsx2 (ps2 emulator) on my lenovo Y510p laptop today, shut it down and left the pc. Came back in 2 hours to find my screen chitting itself hard.

-Thin blue horizontal lines at the top of the screen that are gradually making their way downward.
    -The whole screen is flashing sporadically
    -Not refreshing at the proper rate so there is a lot of lag on the screen even though the pc is running at full speed.

The steps i took were to immediately go and update nvidia drivers, it then chit itself too and uninstalled for some reason, went to setup.exe for geforce experience and it gave another error message so setup didnt run at all. Then i updated the intel onboard drivers, then restarted. The nvidia card is still working because i fired up a game to test and got 60 fps as per usual (impossible with the onboard card) but maybe it lost some functionality for some reason? For the past couple days i saw the screen flashing a bit and i got a few lines at the top but they were gone in less than 1 second - really didnt expect it to landslide into this. The GPU is an Nvidia GT755m.

Some pics/vids:

http://i.imgur.com/0RxRutA.jpg
    https://sendvid.com/7e3mg40d

Any brahs ever seen this? Any help would be appreciated

Edit: while i was testing the game i noticed something. While the majority of the screen was lagging and not refreshing, the part up top where the lines are was moving like normal - zero lag up there
    Last edited by JamaicaBrah; 12-02-2016 at 05:38 PM.
    A.C. Milan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~ BALCONYBRAH SUPPORTERS CREW ~
    ~ . . . Balconybrah is NOT GUILTY . . . ~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

snarfbot is just really nice. (+1000) snarfbot is just really nice. (+1000) snarfbot is just really nice. (+1000) snarfbot is just really nice. (+1000) snarfbot is just really nice. (+1000) snarfbot is just really nice. (+1000) snarfbot is just really nice. (+1000) snarfbot is just really nice. (+1000) snarfbot is just really nice. (+1000) snarfbot is just really nice. (+1000) snarfbot is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JamaicaBrah View Post
    So i was running pcsx2 (ps2 emulator) on my lenovo Y510p laptop today, shut it down and left the pc. Came back in 2 hours to find my screen chitting itself hard.

-Thin blue horizontal lines at the top of the screen that are gradually making their way downward.
    -The whole screen is flashing sporadically
    -Not refreshing at the proper rate so there is a lot of lag on the screen even though the pc is running at full speed.

The steps i took were to immediately go and update nvidia drivers, it then chit itself too and uninstalled for some reason, went to setup.exe for geforce experience and it gave another error message so setup didnt run at all. Then i updated the intel onboard drivers, then restarted. The nvidia card is still working because i fired up a game to test and got 60 fps as per usual (impossible with the onboard card) but maybe it lost some functionality for some reason? For the past couple days i saw the screen flashing a bit and i got a few lines at the top but they were gone in less than 1 second - really didnt expect it to landslide into this. The GPU is an Nvidia GT755m.

Some pics/vids:

http://i.imgur.com/0RxRutA.jpg
    https://sendvid.com/7e3mg40d

Any brahs ever seen this? Any help would be appreciated

Edit: while i was testing the game i noticed something. While the majority of the screen was lagging and not refreshing, the part up top where the lines are was moving like normal - zero lag up there

Do you have any temp sensor monitor software installed? I'm pretty sure Nvidia has their own utility. Use that and make sure its not just overheating.

turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Does the problem happen straight away when you boot, or only once windows loads?
    ND sucks.

JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by snarfbot View Post
    Do you have any temp sensor monitor software installed? I'm pretty sure Nvidia has their own utility. Use that and make sure its not just overheating.
    I have throttlestop, none of them are above 56 Celsius right now at rest, when im gaming it can get pretty hot and i dont really check the temps. Could overheating of the card cause this?

Originally Posted by turkey_server View Post
    Does the problem happen straight away when you boot, or only once windows loads?
    Straight away, even on the startup screen that has a black background, the lines show up and portions of the background flash white for a bit over and over

---------------

When i take a screenshot i dont see the lines on it either
    A.C. Milan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Things to consider:

-The whole "temps" thing. As others have asked, see what temp the GPU is running at. It "sounds" to me like your video memory may be taking the piss though. You can download a program like MSI Afterburner to monitor temps while in game, or GPU-Z which you can alt+tab out to view temps. Try dusting the computer with compressed air (blow any dust out of air exhaust ports, wherever you can)

-Reinstall your video driver but first fully remove it (it could be corrupted). Download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller), run that, and let it fully clean/remove all instances of drivers. Reboot, then reinstall the latest driver from Nvidia.
    -I doubt it's regular system memory, but try pulling all but 1 stick of RAM from your laptop and see if one of them may be going bad
    -CPU could be overheating. Download "SpeedFan" and see what temps it's running at while gaming.

This is a laptop where the GPU is unfortunately soldered directly into the motherboard, so replacing the card itself isn't an option (and if it was, it's a somewhat expensive/time/labor intensive process depending on the laptop model). If the temps seem extreme (~85 or higher on the GPU or ~70+ on the CPU), you may want to consider taking the laptop apart, fully dusting/cleaning it out, and replacing the thermal grease on both the GPU and CPU to help reduce temps. If you've owned it for a while, the grease can dry out to the point where it's not really conducting heat from the GPU/CPU to the HSF Assembly very well. You can order Thermal grease on Amazon fairly cheap (Get Arctic Silver 5), or you can buy other brands locally at Best Buy (or your local PC repair store likely has it). I know Best Buy sells Antec and Thermaltake branded thermal grease. Both are fine products.

Other possible issues are the screen may be going bad. Try hooking up to an external monitor/TV and see if you still get the lines. If not, your laptop panel is to blame, or the cable that connects the motherboard to the screen, or the LCD inverter is going to **** (though that usually just makes the screen go black/acts as a light source).

**Edit**
    If it's happening prior to getting into Windows, it's not drivers. Drivers don't load until the hardware abstraction layer is reached. It's probably not temps either because there's no way the GPU or CPU is running too hot when you're cold-booting the system. I'd still try an external monitor, and see if you have bad RAM though (though the RAM is unlikely).
    "That boulder is too large. I could lift a smaller one."

-Hercules

Starting Weight (July 2018) - 362
    Current Weight (July 2019) - 268

turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Check DVI cables for loose connections. Try a different DVI cable.
    ND sucks.

InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Check DVI cables for loose connections. Try a different DVI cable.

-Hercules

Originally Posted by InstantLoser View Post
    [img]http://i.imgur.com/SsLkoMZ.gif[img]
    Yes, very serious. I frequently read the forums over at TFTcentral, and very often random chit like "lines across the screen" is solved simply by using a different/better cable.
    ND sucks.

Yes, very serious. I frequently read the forums over at TFTcentral, and very often random chit like "lines across the screen" is solved simply by using a different/better cable.
    Except he's using a friggn laptop and it's the laptop screen showing the lines.

-Hercules

oops. did not read.
    ND sucks.

Things to consider:

-The whole "temps" thing. As others have asked, see what temp the GPU is running at. It "sounds" to me like your video memory may be taking the piss though. You can download a program like MSI Afterburner to monitor temps while in game, or GPU-Z which you can alt+tab out to view temps. Try dusting the computer with compressed air (blow any dust out of air exhaust ports, wherever you can)

-Reinstall your video driver but first fully remove it (it could be corrupted). Download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller), run that, and let it fully clean/remove all instances of drivers. Reboot, then reinstall the latest driver from Nvidia.
    -I doubt it's regular system memory, but try pulling all but 1 stick of RAM from your laptop and see if one of them may be going bad
    -CPU could be overheating. Download "SpeedFan" and see what temps it's running at while gaming.

This is a laptop where the GPU is unfortunately soldered directly into the motherboard, so replacing the card itself isn't an option (and if it was, it's a somewhat expensive/time/labor intensive process depending on the laptop model). If the temps seem extreme (~85 or higher on the GPU or ~70+ on the CPU), you may want to consider taking the laptop apart, fully dusting/cleaning it out, and replacing the thermal grease on both the GPU and CPU to help reduce temps. If you've owned it for a while, the grease can dry out to the point where it's not really conducting heat from the GPU/CPU to the HSF Assembly very well. You can order Thermal grease on Amazon fairly cheap (Get Arctic Silver 5), or you can buy other brands locally at Best Buy (or your local PC repair store likely has it). I know Best Buy sells Antec and Thermaltake branded thermal grease. Both are fine products.

Other possible issues are the screen may be going bad. Try hooking up to an external monitor/TV and see if you still get the lines. If not, your laptop panel is to blame, or the cable that connects the motherboard to the screen, or the LCD inverter is going to **** (though that usually just makes the screen go black/acts as a light source).

**Edit**
    If it's happening prior to getting into Windows, it's not drivers. Drivers don't load until the hardware abstraction layer is reached. It's probably not temps either because there's no way the GPU or CPU is running too hot when you're cold-booting the system. I'd still try an external monitor, and see if you have bad RAM though (though the RAM is unlikely).
    Thanks man, will do and see if any of them help
    A.C. Milan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

liza32 liza32 liza32 liza32 liza32 liza32 liza32 liza32 liza32 liza32 liza32
    For the average desktop or laptop user, keeping track of the health of their CPU and GPU isn’t something that many put consideration towards. Most of us rely on our machine to properly cool and take care of itself through dynamic fan speeds, offloading, and other such technology.

However, you’d be surprised what a quick peek at your hardware temperatures and usage numbers reveal about the efficiency of your system. To share a personal story, I recently found out that the GPU in one of my desktops was running at nearly 80°C while gaming – a temperature that will eventually cause harm over an extended period of time. Using vertical sync to cap my framerate provided a quick fix, and my GPU was cool again.
    There are a lot of different types of software that you can use to monitor your CPU or GPU, but who wants to constantly check a separate window or dedicate large space of a monitor to a bulky widget containing these statistics?

If you’re a Windows user, there’s a solution: the system tray. Windows’ system tray provides space for icons that can change dynamically, making it the perfect place to watch the important numbers under the hood of your system. Using MSI Afterburner, you can do just that. for further details https://windowserrors.org/best-cpu-t...itor-software/

Coffee cupin the big time rectifryer's Avatar
    rectifryer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rectifryer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rectifryer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rectifryer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rectifryer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rectifryer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rectifryer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rectifryer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rectifryer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rectifryer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rectifryer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    the irony in this situation is that I have that laptop and reseating the ribbon cable internally takes care of the issue lol.
    CNN says it's illegal for you to neg me.

*<SONS OF SMACK CREW>*
    This post brought to you by:
    Monster Zero Energy Ultra Sunrise

Coffee cupin the big time rectifryer's Avatar
    rectifryer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rectifryer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rectifryer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rectifryer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rectifryer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rectifryer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rectifryer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rectifryer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rectifryer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rectifryer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rectifryer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by liza32 View Post
    For the average desktop or laptop user, keeping track of the health of their CPU and GPU isn’t something that many put consideration towards. Most of us rely on our machine to properly cool and take care of itself through dynamic fan speeds, offloading, and other such technology.

However, you’d be surprised what a quick peek at your hardware temperatures and usage numbers reveal about the efficiency of your system. To share a personal story, I recently found out that the GPU in one of my desktops was running at nearly 80°C while gaming – a temperature that will eventually cause harm over an extended period of time. Using vertical sync to cap my framerate provided a quick fix, and my GPU was cool again.
    There are a lot of different types of software that you can use to monitor your CPU or GPU, but who wants to constantly check a separate window or dedicate large space of a monitor to a bulky widget containing these statistics?

If you’re a Windows user, there’s a solution: the system tray. Windows’ system tray provides space for icons that can change dynamically, making it the perfect place to watch the important numbers under the hood of your system. Using MSI Afterburner, you can do just that. for further details https://windowserrors.org/best-cpu-t...itor-software/
    you used vsync to fix a gpu temp issue? Gpus are meant to be at 100% load silly pants. Your chit is still hosed. Pls sty safe.
    CNN says it's illegal for you to neg me.

*<SONS OF SMACK CREW>*
    This post brought to you by:
    Monster Zero Energy Ultra Sunrise