JakebABraden is on a distinguished road. (+10) JakebABraden is on a distinguished road. (+10) JakebABraden is on a distinguished road. (+10) JakebABraden is on a distinguished road. (+10) JakebABraden is on a distinguished road. (+10) JakebABraden is on a distinguished road. (+10) JakebABraden is on a distinguished road. (+10) JakebABraden is on a distinguished road. (+10) JakebABraden is on a distinguished road. (+10) JakebABraden is on a distinguished road. (+10) JakebABraden is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Biceps and forearms

I have been training for a while now am at a plateau and think I may be over training my arms (biceps)

I currently do five exercises 3 sets of 12 reps, Arm curl, Cable curl. over head cable curl. cable preacher curl and 21s

I am also looking for a good forearm exercise to increase the size of my forearms

Thanks in advance.

Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Have you tried simply upping the weight and dropping the reps?

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JakebABraden View Post
    I have been training for a while now am at a plateau and think I may be over training my arms (biceps)

I currently do five exercises 3 sets of 12 reps, Arm curl, Cable curl. over head cable curl. cable preacher curl and 21s

I am also looking for a good forearm exercise to increase the size of my forearms

Thanks in advance.
    Way too much volume for such a small muscle. Pick 1 or 2, preferable standing BB curls as your primary movement. Keep in mind you target your biceps when ever you do any pulling movements (I am assuming you do these). You can throw in some DB sitting curls.

Your forearms will get targeted when you do deadlifts if you don't use straps. You can also add farmers walk.
    On the list for Bannukah

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I agree with BH here. The way I look at it is that working arms is a reward, after you have done all of the foundational work.

You don't give any info about the other movements in your program, but I would try to make sure you are doing dead lifts, squats, benches, overhead presses, and solid back work. If you are doing all that, then you can reward yourself with direct bicep work.

If you are doing all that, you do not need to do all of that biceps work, especially with some exercises that I do not think make any difference. Stick to three sets of BB curls and maybe three sets of hammer curls.

I am also a proponent of going heavy with good form on bicep work. My best progress has been when I work in the 4-8 rep range.

Ray
    Last edited by pastorgbc; 12-02-2016 at 07:21 AM.
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by pastorgbc View Post
    I am also a proponent of going heavy with good form on bicep work. My best progress has been when I work in the 4-8 rep range.
    I would be very interested to hear if other experienced lifters here found the same thing.

Most programs have you do biceps curls at relatively high reps (say 8-12), suggesting that higher reps are more effective for small muscles. So that's what I've done so far. But if there's a better way, it might be time to try something different...

I only do one biceps exercise (3 sets) each pull day, alternating between standing barbell curls and preacher curls. No direct forearm work so far, I feel like they get a good amount of work from deadlifts, rows, dumbbell lunges, etc.

JakebABraden is on a distinguished road. (+10) JakebABraden is on a distinguished road. (+10) JakebABraden is on a distinguished road. (+10) JakebABraden is on a distinguished road. (+10) JakebABraden is on a distinguished road. (+10) JakebABraden is on a distinguished road. (+10) JakebABraden is on a distinguished road. (+10) JakebABraden is on a distinguished road. (+10) JakebABraden is on a distinguished road. (+10) JakebABraden is on a distinguished road. (+10) JakebABraden is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Zocas View Post
    Have you tried simply upping the weight and dropping the reps?
    yes

Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post
    Way too much volume for such a small muscle. Pick 1 or 2, preferable standing BB curls as your primary movement. Keep in mind you target your biceps when ever you do any pulling movements (I am assuming you do these). You can throw in some DB sitting curls.

Your forearms will get targeted when you do deadlifts if you don't use straps. You can also add farmers walk.
    cheers thats helpful I do tend to over do it I was doing HCs for ages and changed to another exercise to mix it up a bit

Originally Posted by pastorgbc View Post
    I agree with BH here. The way I look at it is that working arms is a reward, after you have done all of the foundational work.

You don't give any info about the other movements in your program, but I would try to make sure you are doing dead lifts, squats, benches, overhead presses, and solid back work. If you are doing all that, then you can reward yourself with direct bicep work.

If you are doing all that, you do not need to do all of that biceps work, especially with some exercises that I do not think make any difference. Stick to three sets of BB curls and maybe three sets of hammer curls.

Ray
    cheers only thing I dont do out of the things you mentioned is Deadlifts due to a balance issue I have! but yeah do solid back work...

Originally Posted by RK42 View Post
    I would be very interested to hear if other experienced lifters here found the same thing.

Most programs have you do biceps curls at relatively high reps (say 8-12), suggesting that higher reps are more effective for small muscles. So that's what I've done so far. But if there's a better way, it might be time to try something different...

I only do one biceps exercise (3 sets) each pull day, alternating between standing barbell curls and preacher curls. No direct forearm work so far, I feel like they get a good amount of work from deadlifts, rows, dumbbell lunges, etc.
    Thats interesting seems I may need to challenge my balance issue and try deadlifts

blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I like using a wrist roller strap, takes the shoulders out of it and you get a wicked forearm pump.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This ^^^^ the wrist roll is a great one for you forearm flexors and extensors.
    Also if you can get one that goes through a safety pin in a power rack you can use some big weight.
    Years ago i rolled 300+ pounds up that way.(check youtube "303 lb wrist roller").
    For biceps on ai really like is banded ez bar curls.
    Loop a mini band around the center of the ez bar loaded with weight,put your feet inside the loop standing on the band and curl.Doing these in a power rack are easier for set up purposes.
    Excellent stress on the biceps at the top half of your curl.

JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Thanks in advance.
    Reverse curls with a bar or cables. You can prolly do them with plates with handles or kettle balls too.

Originally Posted by blue9steel View Post
    I like using a wrist roller strap, takes the shoulders out of it and you get a wicked forearm pump.
    cheers I will check it out

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    This ^^^^ the wrist roll is a great one for you forearm flexors and extensors.
    Also if you can get one that goes through a safety pin in a power rack you can use some big weight.
    Years ago i rolled 300+ pounds up that way.(check youtube "303 lb wrist roller").
    For biceps on ai really like is banded ez bar curls.
    Loop a mini band around the center of the ez bar loaded with weight,put your feet inside the loop standing on the band and curl.Doing these in a power rack are easier for set up purposes.
    Excellent stress on the biceps at the top half of your curl.
    thanks that sounds interesting.

Originally Posted by JimmyJonny View Post
    Reverse curls with a bar or cables. You can prolly do them with plates with handles or kettle balls too.
    cheers I tried something similar with my workout yesterday

wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    also try Zottman curls....not a lot of people do these it seems........
    From the body cast of an injured working dog (finding IEDs) in Afghanistan: TALIBAN TASTES LIKE CHICKEN!

Plato: Only the dead have seen the end of war.

The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thats interesting seems I may need to challenge my balance issue and try deadlifts
    If you have issues with deadlifts but still want some of the benefits (including forearm work), try rack pulls. I dropped deadlifts completely and went to rack pulls full time when I realized all I was really doing was squating the weight into rack pull position, THEN working my back. And when you reach a weight that you can't handle with an overhand grip, move to a mixed grip. I would avoid straps altogether if you can, or at least until your start moving major weight...since one of your goals is forearm development.
    ALL I ASK IS ALL YOU GOT FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES

Originally Posted by wulf88 View Post
    also try Zottman curls....not a lot of people do these it seems........
    what are zottoman curls?

Originally Posted by wesleysh21 View Post
    If you have issues with deadlifts but still want some of the benefits (including forearm work), try rack pulls. I dropped deadlifts completely and went to rack pulls full time when I realized all I was really doing was squating the weight into rack pull position, THEN working my back. And when you reach a weight that you can't handle with an overhand grip, move to a mixed grip. I would avoid straps altogether if you can, or at least until your start moving major weight...since one of your goals is forearm development.
    Thanks I will give it a go just need to get the balance right

wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    what are zottoman curls?
    use DBs and perform a regular curl on the way up. Once at the top of the movement, rotate your wrist so you are lowering the DB with your hand pointing down (like reverse curls). Trick is to lower the wieght slowly and under control.......i'm sure there are videos out there of it as well....
    From the body cast of an injured working dog (finding IEDs) in Afghanistan: TALIBAN TASTES LIKE CHICKEN!

Plato: Only the dead have seen the end of war.

The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

italianwarrior7 is not very helpful. (-500) italianwarrior7 is not very helpful. (-500) italianwarrior7 is not very helpful. (-500) italianwarrior7 is not very helpful. (-500) italianwarrior7 is not very helpful. (-500) italianwarrior7 is not very helpful. (-500) italianwarrior7 is not very helpful. (-500) italianwarrior7 is not very helpful. (-500) italianwarrior7 is not very helpful. (-500) italianwarrior7 is not very helpful. (-500) italianwarrior7 is not very helpful. (-500)
    It's all about HEAVY barbell curls, that's what worked for Arnold and will work for you. True story, my arms were stuck at 15.5'' many years ago, my arms are currently 20'' all natty, since I discovered that you have to go HEAVY if you want real growth, srs

steve617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would warm up the biceps with 2 or 3 sets light weight of incline alt dumbbell curl. They are great for activating all of the bicep. then I'd go with heavy barbell curls 3 or 4 sets. Then a couple sets of concentration curls or even the cable curls. Watch on youtube Do this one exercise to get massive arms.
    Last edited by steve617; 12-04-2016 at 10:56 AM.

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    incline curls for biceps

snatch grip deadlifts for forearms.