ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Wrist mobility for front squats (clean grip)

Any tips for increasing wrist mobility? Do people actively stretch their wrists, or is it something you just acquire with practice? I've been trying to do clean grip for warm ups and cross armed for working sets, but I'd prefer to go all clean due to increased stability. It's been about three weeks. It's hard to tell whether my wrists are getting any more flexible from the warm ups alone.

For what it's worth, I suck tremendously at front squats (and back squats!), but I'm determined to progress. My back seems to prefer front squats, which is why I switched.

angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Continue to work on your wrist flexibility, but you can always use wrist wraps to give you something to grab a little higher up on the bar. There are videos out there that demonstrate, but you put the wrap around the bar instead of your wrist and have the straps pointed up to grab on.

ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by angrypenguin54 View Post
    Continue to work on your wrist flexibility, but you can always use wrist wraps to give you something to grab a little higher up on the bar. There are videos out there that demonstrate, but you put the wrap around the bar instead of your wrist and have the straps pointed up to grab on.
    Good idea. It looks like ordinary straps do the trick. I'll try next time.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sadly, the best way to improve flexibility for front squats, is to just front squat. A lot...

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Work on that mobility with a racked bar(weighted) and just work the fingers and wrists under it slowly trying to increase your range with your hand.
    Remember also that most oly lifters only use the index and middle finger under the bar in the rack position when cleaning for the clean and jerk.
    They start with the whole hand but if they stay in the rack position for front squats many guys just use the two fingers to take some pressure off the wrists.
    Regardless this position is not comfortable and may take some time to get use to.

Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    Sadly, the best way to improve flexibility for front squats, is to just front squat. A lot...
    On it!

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    Work on that mobility with a racked bar(weighted) and just work the fingers and wrists under it slowly trying to increase your range with your hand.
    Remember also that most oly lifters only use the index and middle finger under the bar in the rack position when cleaning for the clean and jerk.
    They start with the whole hand but if they stay in the rack position for front squats many guys just use the two fingers to take some pressure off the wrists.
    Regardless this position is not comfortable and may take some time to get use to.
    Thanks. I've been trying the two fingers approach, and it seems to be gradually getting easier. The problem is my fingers aren't very long (I've got Trump hands, unfortunately), but I'm getting there.

Cybergenics...it's bomb! lucia316's Avatar
    lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've always had issues with not being able to do this in the traditional fashion as I have really long forearms. I do one of three things.

1) I use wraps
    2) I do zombie
    3) I just cross my arms and grab the bar reverse style

I typically do 3.
    "I'm pretty sure your wrong, but care to elaborate..."

Retired account

TheFugitive, Manwittaplan, and ILPump are all the same guy...socktastic

GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sometimes it isn't a question of wrist mobility, it can be a problem with elbow placement. if you are keeping your elbows too low (close to your torso) it puts the wrists in a position where the flex needed is all but impossible. If you keep your elbows higher (up away from your torso) the stress on the wrists is much less. Watch this video and see where his elbows are on the squat portion of the cleans. Don't give up on the clean grip until you see where your elbows are. It should put you in a position where you can almost balance the bar on your collar and squat with out actually holding the bar. Hope that helps.
    Gnomefit...ain't for everybody, only the sexy people.

GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    Exactly! If your elbows are up high enough and you have made a good "rack" then those two fingers are just there to sort of guide things.
    Gnomefit...ain't for everybody, only the sexy people.

Originally Posted by GnomusMaximus View Post
    Sometimes it isn't a question of wrist mobility, it can be a problem with elbow placement. if you are keeping your elbows too low (close to your torso) it puts the wrists in a position where the flex needed is all but impossible. If you keep your elbows higher (up away from your torso) the stress on the wrists is much less. Watch this video and see where his elbows are on the squat portion of the cleans. Don't give up on the clean grip until you see where your elbows are. It should put you in a position where you can almost balance the bar on your collar and squat with out actually holding the bar. Hope that helps.
    Thanks, man. I'll keep working on clean grip. You're right that my elbow tends to angle to low, which probably puts too much pressure on my wrist. When I get my elbows up high, I feel like my wrists are behind the bar, but I'm continuing to work on it.

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I didn't see anyone bring it up, but yes, you can do some flexibility stretching for the wrists/forearms. The palms against the wall stretch is the one my coach had me do to get a better rack position when I started. Do both versions, fingers up and fingers down. Also, there's a stretch where you get on all fours and with palms flat on the floor/ground, lean forward or backwards to stretch the wrists.

Also, as said, keep front squatting with clean grip as much as possible and get them elbows up.
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168969133

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Pretty much ^

Wrist flexibility can be trained provided there is no injury etc preventing it. I talked to a guy doing clean grip fronts and asked if he was always able to do them that way. It looked like the tops of his hands were going to touch his forearms. He said he just worked on wrist mobility for a long time and gradually achieved that mobility, which was freakish.