Cowgrl644 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bodybuilding after total thyroidectomy

I had my thyroid removed in 2012 due to cancer. Everything went well and my levels were good after with meds. I was 118 lbs and 5'2". At that point I hadn't ever really worked out. I competed rodeo and rode horses, so exercise usually came at the barn instead of a gym, but I was fit. Fast forward to 2013/2014. I got pregnant and had my son. I didn't gain a ton of weight. Maybe 25-30 lbs. my meds went up to .140 I believe (can't remember) during the course of my pregnancy. Very proactive about my dosage throughout pregnancy. Now today, I am still at 140 lbs. I go to the gym and lift 5 days a week with 2-3 days of cardio. Usually run 4-6 miles a week. Over the last 6 months they have decreased my dosage of meds 3 times from .125 to .100, and not to .88, and have added 5 mcg of meds(t3). I'm counting calories and eating clean, but can not get the scale to budge or my belly to drop fat. My arms and legs are starting to show definition, but my middle is soggy. Anyone out there with some advise? I'm off to my Endo again tomorrow, but they keep lowering my dosage when I think maybe it needs to go back up
    Last edited by dj924s; 05-05-2017 at 09:53 PM.

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Cowgrl644 View Post
    I'm counting calories and eating clean, but can not get the scale to budge or my belly to drop fat. My arms and legs are starting to show definition, but my middle is soggy. Anyone out there with some advise?
    Eating "clean" makes no difference, it comes down to calories in, calories out (along with the proper treatment for your condition, of course). I mean you can eat that way if you prefer, just that it's not going to effect weight changes in itself. What's your current calorie range?

Also, how are you tracking your calories? Solid foods should be weighed if you're not already doing so, as volume measurements can be off. As seen here:
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I agree with Luna. Even with hormonal issues you can still lose if you're in a calorie deficit. You, of course, want to have your levels under control to make it "easier" but everyone can lose in a deficit. If you're tracking calories, that's a great start because you have insight into how much you're currently eating and can adjust.

If the scale hasn't been moving, then you're eating at maintenance and you either need to eat less, move more, or a combination of the two to create a deficit. I'd make sure you're tracking accurately as in the video above, and then adjust calories if needed once you've got that solid. Definitely keep your endo involved so that your levels are controlled since that will help as well and remove a lot of the moving target if those are stable.
    Online Training and Nutrition Coach
    www.AccidentalFitnessQuest.com

Have a training or nutrition question? PM me or ask me on FB: www.********.com/AccidentalFitnessQuest

I'm eating at 1200 calories per day. I log all food I eat, as well as exercise. I also use a Fitbit linked to the calorie app as well. I am usually at a deficit of 500 to 900 calories per day. Part of the reason I don't understand the scale not moving. I do an hour of weight training 5 nights a week. 2 mile run 3 times a week, and half hour to hour of HIIT training on the off running days

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm no expert on thyroid conditions, but you shouldn't have to be that low to lose weight. It's still below the calories you need to just function. You'd be losing weight at that intake for sure, so something in the tracking is off.

Make sure you weigh solid foods, as stated above.
    I don't know in what way your fitbit works with an app, but some do a "net calories" thing where they track what you burn and eat together. Which can end up with you eat back some of what you burn, and if what you burned is overestimated, it'll cause you to consume more calories. Fitbit doesn't accurately track calories burned, so make sure it's not telling to to consume based on what it says you've burned.
    Use a TDEE calculator instead to get an idea of what your maintenance is, and subtract 15-20% and see how that goes.
    Make sure the app you're using has accurate info. Apps like MFP use a user-created database, and some of the entries are inaccurate.
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm eating at 1200 calories per day. I log all food I eat, as well as exercise. I also use a Fitbit linked to the calorie app as well. I am usually at a deficit of 500 to 900 calories per day. Part of the reason I don't understand the scale not moving. I do an hour of weight training 5 nights a week. 2 mile run 3 times a week, and half hour to hour of HIIT training on the off running days
    No something is off in your tracking methods and you need to fix it. Even with medical issues you would losing at a steady rate eating 1500 calories a day.

You're eating more than you think and you need a food scale.

Best of luck!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

After my appointment at the endo today, she is sending me to their weight loss Dr. at the University of Penn. Hoping to get a good plan together there!

LovesYarn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    After my appointment at the endo today, she is sending me to their weight loss Dr. at the University of Penn. Hoping to get a good plan together there!
    First I disagree with the posts saying even with thyroid issues you should still able to lose just by following what works and saying she is eating more than she is recording.

Second send your endo roses for prescribing T3 many physicians will not.

T3 is much much more potent than T4 and peaks within a couple of days vs. T4 which peaks in about 6 weeks. So a lowered T4 dose + a T3 may not be a lower amount due to the potency of T3.

How long have you been on the T3/T4 combo for?

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by LovesYarn01 View Post
    First I disagree with the posts saying even with thyroid issues you should still able to lose just by following what works and saying she is eating more than she is recording.

Second send your endo roses for prescribing T3 many physicians will not.

T3 is much much more potent than T4 and peaks within a couple of days vs. T4 which peaks in about 6 weeks. So a lowered T4 dose + a T3 may not be a lower amount due to the potency of T3.

How long have you been on the T3/T4 combo for?
    A calorie deficit works for all humans...even with thyroid and or other medical conditions. If OP were truly eating 1200 calories (which is quite aggressive btw,) she would be dropping weight.

LovesYarn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    A calorie deficit works for all humans...even with thyroid and or other medical conditions. If OP were truly eating 1200 calories (which is quite aggressive btw,) she would be dropping weight.
    I disagree.

Originally Posted by LovesYarn01 View Post
    I disagree.
    You can disagree and believe what you want all day long.

Special snowflakes don't exist. It's a simple fact and the law of thermodynamics doesn't lie.

I've only been doing this for decades what the hell would I know LOL...

jessp101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How was the appointment? I'm curious because I have a similar issue.

Sammitasch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sammitasch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sammitasch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sammitasch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sammitasch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sammitasch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sammitasch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sammitasch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sammitasch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sammitasch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sammitasch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Though I haven't been through this, I have a hypothyroid and when I was younger, I had thyroid storms. I was a hot mess and been in and out of the hospital since I was 15. I literally could not even walk or hold my hands up because my bones hurt so much, or I was too tired. What I have noticed is that the body is stronger than the mind. Don't let ANY of these things, even when they seem impossible, to get in your way. When you give up mentally, you give up physically, but if you say you can do it, you will. Not that you were saying you couldn't, I would just start saying how you have overcome it and just think differently! It makes your journey even more exciting!

To go into some things that helped me. I know calories in vs calories out is what everyone says, but for me with my thyroid and my philosophies of dieting, sugar will never equate oats. Bottom line my beliefs. When I eat junk, my body gets sluggish. But when I eat clean, I can eat more calories and I lose weight. Again this is more of to I believe certain foods effects the thyroid differently. I got on stage twice just by clean eating with occasional sweets. I also have things I added like adrenal support, lots of nuts (selenium) and greens, especially kale or anything with high amounts of natural iodine. Find a balance and stay positive. A lot of people have no idea what it is like to have thyroid issues, and only know what works for them and it gets confusing, especially when you have an actual issue that can go against your weight gain. But again, I was admitted to Boston Children's at 15 because of Thyroid Storms, have a hypo thyroid, and with CLEAN eating and being consistent in my training, my levels are stable and I am able to get stage ready, just give myself ever time! Stay with it!

Sammitasch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sammitasch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sammitasch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sammitasch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sammitasch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sammitasch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sammitasch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sammitasch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sammitasch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sammitasch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sammitasch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Sammitasch View Post
    Though I haven't been through this, I have a hypothyroid and when I was younger, I had thyroid storms. I was a hot mess and been in and out of the hospital since I was 15. I literally could not even walk or hold my hands up because my bones hurt so much, or I was too tired. What I have noticed is that the body is stronger than the mind. Don't let ANY of these things, even when they seem impossible, to get in your way. When you give up mentally, you give up physically, but if you say you can do it, you will. Not that you were saying you couldn't, I would just start saying how you have overcome it and just think differently! It makes your journey even more exciting!
    To go into some things that helped me. I know calories in vs calories out is what everyone says, but for me with my thyroid and my philosophies of dieting, sugar will never equate oats. Bottom line my beliefs. When I eat junk, my body gets sluggish. But when I eat clean, I can eat more calories and I lose weight. Again this is more of to I believe certain foods effects the thyroid differently. I got on stage twice just by clean eating with occasional sweets. I also have things I added like adrenal support, lots of nuts (selenium) and greens, especially kale or anything with high amounts of natural iodine. Find a balance and stay positive. A lot of people have no idea what it is like to have thyroid issues, and only know what works for them and it gets confusing, especially when you have an actual issue that can go against your weight gain. But again, I was admitted to Boston Children's at 15 because of Thyroid Storms, have a hypo thyroid, and with CLEAN eating and being consistent in my training, my levels are stable and I am able to get stage ready, just give myself ever time! Stay with it!
    AND sorry, lastly I have experimented with a few things, the lower my calories go, the less my thyroid functions work. Get in the calories. I noticed for me, I have to really make sure I feed my body to make it work right. I need carbs. I had a coach who had me go keto, and with cardio, I gained weight. When I keep carbs higher, like they are now, I lose. This is my experience!

mishamuse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thyroidectomy and weight training.

I had a total thyroidectomy 7/2017 due to cancer. I caught it early and subsequent blood tests have been great. I started weight training again this year, and have not had an issue putting on muscle. The challenge is losing weight. Even with meds, it's difficult. To those trainers that say it is simply calories in vs calories burned need to take a class in endocrinology. It isn't that clear cut.
    Last edited by dj924s; 05-05-2017 at 09:56 PM.

Adine42 is not very well liked. (-100) Adine42 is not very well liked. (-100) Adine42 is not very well liked. (-100) Adine42 is not very well liked. (-100) Adine42 is not very well liked. (-100) Adine42 is not very well liked. (-100) Adine42 is not very well liked. (-100) Adine42 is not very well liked. (-100) Adine42 is not very well liked. (-100) Adine42 is not very well liked. (-100) Adine42 is not very well liked. (-100)

Yepp! I totally agree!

Originally Posted by mishamuse View Post
    I had a total thyroidectomy 7/2017 due to cancer. I caught it early and subsequent blood tests have been great. I started weight training again this year, and have not had an issue putting on muscle. The challenge is losing weight. Even with meds, it's difficult. To those trainers that say it is simply calories in vs calories burned need to take a class in endocrinology. It isn't that clear cut.
    It’s been 3 years now i had Graves and a total tiroidectomy a month ago. The scale wont move no matter what!!!