Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    PeteDenmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteDenmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteDenmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteDenmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteDenmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteDenmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteDenmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteDenmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteDenmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteDenmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteDenmark will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Weight today 127,6 kg. 2 kg in two days. Guess the fact that i'm back on caffeine has made my body rid itself of excess water .
    At around 118 kg, i start to be able to fit into my "normal" clothes, so having less than 10 kg to go before that partial goal is very motivating. If i keep my head to the grindstone, i should be able to pull that of by 1. april.

We had 30 cm (around 12 inches) of snow last night, on top of the snow from before that hadn't melted. Out backhoe isn't great with snow clearing, since it's just too old and unsafe to drive around in. It's more of a stationary digger, that you gingerly drive to the place you want to excavate. I could of course use the backhoe part to dig away the snow, instead of using the front loader, but it's just too easy to dig a little to deep, and mess up the driveway. Usually my neighbour helps out with his snow plow attachment for his tractor, since we exchange favors, but he is out of town for 14 days
    So i cleared a 15x15 meter area of 40 cm of snow by hand, to be able to get our cars out. The van can do it with snow chains on, but our small VW Polo can't.
    Put on my weightlifting belt, a posture brace, and did it. My back is still not great, so had to be mindful of how i went about it, but i got it done. Now - 225 m2 might not sound like a lot, but knee deep snow is heavy, and you can't (or at least i can't) just pick it up, and throw it outside of the perimeter of the area you are clearing. It has to be done in stages.
    Took me 3 hours, and right now lying in bed writing this, and i'm so spent, that i'm actually contemplating urinating in a bottle, to avoid having to get up .
    Even if we live in Sweden, this kind of snowfall, in such a short span of time, is not normal. If it was, i would definitely get some machinery to deal with it, like a heavy duty snow blower, or at the very least a plow for my lawn tractor.
    But i got what i would consider a pretty substantial workout from it. No weight lifting today though .
    Height 6'6" (200 cm)
    Goal: 240 lbs (109 kg) (which should be around 20-22 % bodyfat)

Weight:
    04.01.2016: 350 lbs (159 kg) - Highest weight ever
    11.14.2016: 323 lbs (147 kg) - Start of weight loss log here on BB
    06.13.2017: 239.9 lbs (108,8 kg) - Goal reached
    01.01.2019: 297.6 lbs (135 kg) - Life happened - on it again
    02.16.2019: 274.9 lbs (124,7 kg) - present weight

Fat loss log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172898461

lukepeter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lukepeter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lukepeter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lukepeter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lukepeter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lukepeter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lukepeter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lukepeter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lukepeter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lukepeter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lukepeter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Its such a relief when your body finally responds to the diet like it should It is massively frustrating putting in the effort and not seeing the scale reflect it... Weight loss is a lot like a faith based religion sometime - heck, we even come here for confession from time to time

Any form of digging is brutal, Its strange, but I find that kind of labour, and the resulting mind numbing fatigue (the temptation to piss in a bottle because you have lost the ability to "even" ), very satisfying. It's a good sign - the fact that your back held out through out that ordeal - that the real takeaway from the last couple years is still the ability to do typical manly **** that you previously couldn't. So, aside from not being able to fit into your skinny pants, you have not really undone any of the good crap you invested in during your initial loss.

I dreamed about raising chickens last night - I suspect that is your fault (I don't usually dream about chickens, except occasionally eating them), they were chasing my daughter

I feel you on the bathroom use post leg day - for me, the glute pain is always significant, so its agony getting down, sitting, and then getting up again... leg day...
    Transformation Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173294941
    Workouts logged in bodyspace along with weekly progress pics.

PeteDenmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteDenmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteDenmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteDenmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteDenmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteDenmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteDenmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteDenmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteDenmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteDenmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteDenmark will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks Luke. Me being able to do that kind of physical labor, without having to spend the next three days lying down IS a good sign, and i should definitely try to focus on that, instead of my lack in strength (I'm definitely MUCH weaker on the weights). I'm glad you are here to remind me that all is not lost .

Funny that my stories of chickens have actually entered your subconscious mind. You should totally get chickens, and will gladly be of assistance with advice .
    _________

After the snow shoveling ordeal, i tried to train the day after. That seriously messed me up. Apart from my bad shape, i am also not 18 anymore, so my connective tissue, muscles and tendons wasn't ready. So i had one of the worst training sessions ever. I just felt horrible, and having too much caffeine in my system, made it worse. Even if i knew the reason for why i was fatigued, i simply couldn't accept it, and got very upset because i couldn't lift anything. Like - couldn't do 8 reps of 60 kg incline press.
    Don't quite know why this messed so much with my head, but my wife actually had to comfort me, because i threw me so hard.

I feel a lot better today, but have decided to take a complete rest day.

Projectwise, i have finally gotten around to welding a t-bar row attachment for the landmine. I'm loving the landmine, since it's a bit more forgiving than totally free weights, and you are stabilized in one of the directions.

It's pretty simple, with just a piece of ID. 51mm pipe, with an M10 locking screw, with a piece of 50x50mm square tube welded perpendicular on it. On the tube the is a couple of eyes to accept the homemade handles.

I like the freestyle handles, instead of the fixed pronated, neutral or supinated grip, i can start at a neutral grip, and pull it to my lower ribs supinated, which gives me the best feeling of connection to the muscle. Have made different length grips, so i can choose what angle the bar should start at, when i do rows.

On the second configuration, i put a piece of pipe through the square tube, so i can do overhead/viking presses. I love the viking press, since it takes some of the lower back strain out, compared to the military press, which is always something i have to be mindful of. Since the landmine fixes the bar low to the ground, the resistance decreases with increase in angle. So i can actually start by sitting on a bench, then stand up, and finally get on a box, to do drop sets.

I might weld a dedicated viking press attachment, like the one pictured below, to get more grip options, which i like. That could also double as a hack squat attachment. For now i'm satisfied with the one i made, and landmine goblet squats are more than enough for now.

PS. How long does it on average take you to write a post like this? For me it takes about an hour pr. post. Having to find constantly check my spelling in english, contemplating what to say, and all the faffing around with the unintuitive codes, to insert pictures, links, bold typefaces etc., i find i have to set aside a good chunk of time when i respond to threads, or update my log.
    Attached Images
    Height 6'6" (200 cm)

Weight:

lukepeter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lukepeter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lukepeter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lukepeter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lukepeter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lukepeter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lukepeter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lukepeter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lukepeter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lukepeter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lukepeter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It would be great to have some protein producing birds - but caring for living things is time consuming - while I have little kids pottering around and someone owns my time from 7:30 to 16:30 I don't want the additional responsibility

To put things into perspective for you Pete - your 8 reps of 60kg incline bench (especially after a day of digging) is more than the majority of the people who train at my gym press, so go easy on yourself w.r.t the "I am a weak little kitten" song and dance, we are not buying it You have been hitting the weights pretty hard over the last week, and as my gym buddy is fond of saying, one way or another your body will decide its time to rest and put you in bed

The strength thing, I still struggle with ego I think, every time I see someone lifting more than me, I recon "I could do that" and the temptation is there to go further than I know I should. I am slowly making the shift from the "strong guy" to the "wise guy" (negative connotations included ), but it goes against my nature. Basically, the point of the previous rambling sentence is to say you are not alone in getting upset about failure, especially when its illogical to be... There will always exist a desire to express our manliness through feats of strength and general awesomeness, but it is my hope that one day reason triumphs over the "hold my beer" moments that plague me.

You have a really practical mind, from the axe head counterweights in your chicken coop, to the reversible landmine rowing bar (and how much you are able to do with it). You would have made a good frontiersman I think. I am really (possibly sadistically) glad to finally see some rust on your steel

My longer posts take about 20 mins to put together, picture clipping and attachment management seem to be the most time consuming part. It would likely take me a week to do it if I was doing it in a European language, and it would be indecipherable to you I appreciate you taking the time to share, clunky BB code, foreign language and all. I understand the desire to have things correct in type before posting, there is nothing more frustrating to a smarty pants than to appear illiterate online, where the guy with the most correct grammar has the moral high ground, but until we end up arguing about something, this is a judgement free space

For some reason my permissions have defaulted to "HTML code is OFF" , which means i can't post links, videos or quotes any longer. Very wierd, and annoying.

Weight today 127 kg. Nice to see a pretty linear loss, that is actually a bit quicker than planned. I'm wondering if a lot of it is water, but my man Luke once told me "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" .

Luke,
    Reading back i can see how my post seems a little self absorbed and like a display of false modesty. And you are right - looking at as a non-lifting unbiased 3rd person, i'm not remarkably weak. For my size however, i am very average. My rational self tells me it's quite fair, or even good, that i'm average. I spent a lot of time while away from BB on my back, not doing any progressive overload stuff.
    But ego aside (like competition with other piers in my size league), i was benching 140 kg for reps before my very first injury a little over a decade ago, which makes me feel as though there should be a much stronger guy right beneath the surface. Like it's matter of just knocking the rust of my CNS, and then i should be able to train with 100 kg. Instead of accepting that i'm just not that guy anymore, i keep having thoughts like "If i just had more carbs before lifting, i would be much stronger" or "if i just had more ankle and back mobility, i would be able to have a better setup and utilize my lats and legs more in my lift".
    So when i load up what i feel should be a very doable weight like 60 kg incline, and my CNS just screams "your life is in danger" it's a pretty harsh wake up call.
    I'm not saying anything i haven't said before, but i don't feel average, and i won't accept it . I have to work on being patient, since i'm heading to snap city, if i don't redefine what a successful lifting session is. Right now i never feel really accomplished. I can feel great that i did something, but not with the stats.

Your observation regarding grammar, superiority and eloquency is on point. Even if my english is fine for a non english speaker, it's a bottleneck for what i really mean, so points are delivered without the nuance and subtleties i wish to convey. It's annoying, since my passive vocabulary is 100%, so i can appreciate the intricacies of what others write, and if the have mastery over words, and easily tell when i encounter a person that has a less than stellar intelligence. But i can't assert my knowledge, experience and superior intellingence in english .

One disadvantage of training on my deck with my homemade equipment is the fact, that almost everything is compound movements, that in some way or another taxes the core, and requires stability. I can use the landmine or a bench to stabilize my movements in one axis, but not do total isolation exercises like on machines. Unfortunately my back isn't quite up to the task, so when i was out on a long walk the day before yesterday, i got the all to familiar shooting pain in my lumbar region, and my leg went out.
    It's nothing i haven't tried before, but the lumbago makes the muscles spasm in one side of my back, so it actually pulls me forward and to the left. I simply can't stand up straight, and walking around feels like having to balance a broomstick in the palm. It's like if i don't keep the exact balance, i will be rewarded with a shooting pain, and a faceplant.
    This is very frustrating, but with the right support equipment, i can work around it. With a posture brace, and a tight weight lifting belt, i can force my spine into alignment, so i can still hike, which in turn forces blood to the lumbar area, which speeds up recovery.
    But it does make i difficult to weight train, since loading the spine in any way is just out of the question. Lat pulldowns are possible, bodyweight squats, fitness band flyers, tricep pushdown etc also, but it makes programming difficult. Hopefully my diligence in active recovery will speed up the healing, so it doesn't take the 3-4 week it usually takes.

On the plus side, i have an arsenal of heavy duty prescription meds, that enable me to function when i have these "episodes". Apart from making me very mellow, they have the added side effect of totally alleviating hunger. Like - i don't care if i eat or not. So i can choose to do a short PTSM like stint, if i feel like it, without it affecting my hunger. So had a couple of days with only 1300 calories, but still 200 grams of protein.
    I don't like the loss of control with prescription meds, and i simply don't have "the talent" to become addicted, or even used to them. But being forced to use them for a short while, i might as well enjoy the perks it provides me .

Have been looking at my spreadsheet from my previous weight loss, and it's like i'm competing with the previous me form exactly 2 years ago. I'm ahead by a month. The curves follow each other nicely, and i'm even a bit ahead, so it's nice to have that, since it kinda predicts what i can expect. I might be ahead in the scales, and the body measurements pretty much line up. Except for the fact, that my flexed arm is 1,5 cm smaller than when i was at the same weight last time. Hmm - i try to tell myself, that i have less of a pump now, because of much less carbs, but realistically i have lost some gains relative to when i was at the same weight last. But a 3% loss of circumference on my arm, even if a bummer, is not a total disaster vanity wise .

PS. Luke - had planned on responding to your latest post today as well, but once again, writing this post has taken an inordinate amount of time, compounded by the fact, that BB gave me a 404 error, which deleted all i had written, so i had to start over. I will have to do it later. I enjoy our conversation, so dont take longer response times as a lack of interest
    Last edited by PeteDenmark; 02-10-2019 at 09:04 AM.
    Height 6'6" (200 cm)

Weight:

Originally Posted by PeteDenmark View Post
    Luke,
    Reading back i can see how my post seems a little self absorbed and like a display of false modesty. And you are right - looking at as a non-lifting unbiased 3rd person, i'm not remarkably weak. For my size however, i am very average. My rational self tells me it's quite fair, or even good, that i'm average. I spent a lot of time while away from BB on my back, not doing any progressive overload stuff.
    But ego aside (like competition with other piers in my size league), i was benching 140 kg for reps before my very first injury a little over a decade ago, which makes me feel as though there should be a much stronger guy right beneath the surface. Like it's matter of just knocking the rust of my CNS, and then i should be able to train with 100 kg. Instead of accepting that i'm just not that guy anymore, i keep having thoughts like "If i just had more carbs before lifting, i would be much stronger" or "if i just had more ankle and back mobility, i would be able to have a better setup and utilize my lats and legs more in my lift".
    So when i load up what i feel should be a very doable weight like 60 kg incline, and my CNS just screams "your life is in danger" it's a pretty harsh wake up call.
    I'm not saying anything i haven't said before, but i don't feel average, and i won't accept it . I have to work on being patient, since i'm heading to snap city, if i don't redefine what a successful lifting session is. Right now i never feel really accomplished. I can feel great that i did something, but not with the stats.
    That makes more sense to me, you were moving massive weight prior to breaking your back, so its not a "little" adjustment, its accepting that you are "half the man" you were previously (by your own metric). I am not going to sprout any crap about having the grace to accept the things you cant change, because it must simply suck, pure and simple, to have been functioning at that level and have it taken from you so quickly.

Your observation regarding grammar, superiority and eloquency is on point. Even if my english is fine for a non english speaker, it's a bottleneck for what i really mean, so points are delivered without the nuance and subtleties i wish to convey. It's annoying, since my passive vocabulary is 100%, so i can appreciate the intricacies of what others write, and if the have mastery over words, and easily tell when i encounter a person that has a less than stellar intelligence. But i can't assert my knowledge, experience and superior intellingence in english .
    Thankfully, this forum is primarily for the discussion of simple things seated primarily in our Neanderthal brains... there is only so much nuance one can apply to macros, weights and diy builds - its when we get all squishy and talk about our feelings that there is room for misinterpretation So long as all parties involved know that there is a translation gap then the butt-hurt will always be negligible. Suffice it to say that communicating with you is far more pleasant than communicating with the vast majority of humans I see on a day to day basis (probably because I am a bit conceited...I am working on it). [/BROMANCE POST]

It's nothing i haven't tried before, but the lumbago makes the muscles spasm in one side of my back, so it actually pulls me forward and to the left. I simply can't stand up straight, and walking around feels like having to balance a broomstick in the palm. It's like if i don't keep the exact balance, i will be rewarded with a shooting pain, and a faceplant.
    This is very frustrating, but with the right support equipment, i can work around it. With a posture brace, and a tight weight lifting belt, i can force my spine into alignment, so i can still hike, which in turn forces blood to the lumbar area, which speeds up recovery.
    But it does make i difficult to weight train, since loading the spine in any way is just out of the question. Lat pulldowns are possible, bodyweight squats, fitness band flyers, tricep pushdown etc also, but it makes programming difficult. Hopefully my diligence in active recovery will speed up the healing, so it doesn't take the 3-4 week it usually takes.
    I was under the impression that the back pains had reduced significantly, and that you were pretty much a fully functioning mandroid at this point... More credit to you to continue putting out the workouts you have been doing on top of normal usefulness with the constant looming nightmare of a back spasm haunting your attempts to push yourself. What is the prognosis for recovery at this point? are you likely to return to 100% functionality, without statistically significant pain in the near (1-2 years) future?

Have been looking at my spreadsheet from my previous weight loss, and it's like i'm competing with the previous me form exactly 2 years ago. I'm ahead by a month. The curves follow each other nicely, and i'm even a bit ahead, so it's nice to have that, since it kinda predicts what i can expect. I might be ahead in the scales, and the body measurements pretty much line up. Except for the fact, that my flexed arm is 1,5 cm smaller than when i was at the same weight last time. Hmm - i try to tell myself, that i have less of a pump now, because of much less carbs, but realistically i have lost some gains relative to when i was at the same weight last. But a 3% loss of circumference on my arm, even if a bummer, is not a total disaster vanity wise .
    I am glad at least one of us is making good gains (losses). looking at a decreasing trend line is heartening, especially when you have been disciplined.

Imp81318 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Imp81318 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Imp81318 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Imp81318 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Imp81318 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Imp81318 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Imp81318 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Imp81318 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Imp81318 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Imp81318 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Imp81318 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Pete, I would say that you communicate with the written word in english more clearly and coherently than the vast majority of people that I interact with on a daily basis here in America. With the rare exception, I see little indication in your writings that english is not your primary tongue. I do greatly appreciate the effort you pour into crafting your posts and I can say with quite high confidence that I would give up sharing on this site entirely if it required that much effort from me.

One disadvantage of training on my deck with my homemade equipment is the fact, that almost everything is compound movements, that in some way or another taxes the core, and requires stability. I can use the landmine or a bench to stabilize my movements in one axis, but not do total isolation exercises like on machines. Unfortunately my back isn't quite up to the task, so when i was out on a long walk the day before yesterday, i got the all to familiar shooting pain in my lumbar region, and my leg went out.
    This is very frustrating, but with the right support equipment, i can work around it. ...
    I've been aware of your back issues for some time now, but I don't think that I fully grasped the severity of your condition until reading this post. The fact that you are able to find the desire and motivation to work out at all, much less at the weights you're slinging is quite impressive to me, even if it represents only a small fraction of your prior ability. Do you have any hopes for making a full recovery and being pain free at some point, or is this condition something that you anticipate having to deal with for the foreseeable future?

Progress is great to see, no doubt, and congratulations are deserved for running ahead of 2-years-ago Pete. But don't forget to view the trees for the forest and keep in mind that every weight loss journey is going to be fraught with its own challenges and setbacks. Just as you struggle to not compare your current lifting ability with your prior healthy self's, you also should not lean too heavily on comparisons of your current weight loss against those of the past. Always allow for differences and do your best to compare against your current abilities. [/end unnecessary advice sharing]
    My fat loss log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173571151

In order to try and fix the error when i post longer messages, i have tried to remove all special characters, and emojis. It gave me an error with them, but when i removed emojis, i could post. Not being able to post a smiley or special characters is very limiting, so bear with me, if some of the statements seem blunt. I just can't use emojis.
    ________

Weight today 125,9 kg. My pill assisted "PSMF" seems to be working, since i have lost another kg. I am now so much ahead of the curve, that i think i can handle fluctuations for a couple of weeks, without freaking out.
    ________
    Gentlemen,
    Thank you for your kind words. Normally i would answer you both personally, but since BB is constantly giving me error messages when i try to upload longer posts, i will have to be more brief.

I'm very glad that my english is good enough to convey messages in a way, that doesn't make me sound unpleasant or like a complete idiot. You are both very eloquent, and when i read your posts, i constantly read sentences that convey what i wanted to say in another post, but more concisely and accurate.
    There are similar forums in my native language, but seeing as the number of people on there is very much smaller than here, chances of running into an inspirational conversation is miniscule. So having to spend extra time writing in english is totally worth what i get in return from you.
    Posting updates in here makes the experience more real and gratifying, and the fact that you are not the average bro's, spouting platitudes, is a gift for me. Nobody cares about our fitness goals in out real lives, so having the privilege of posting to an audience who in some way or another are in the same boat, is very cool.

And Luke - i was a relief when you returned. When i started logging again amongst all the "newbies" with their reps and macros, it felt foreign to me. So the fact you actually started logging again, has made it a lot easier to get back on the horse. SO once again sorry for tuning out last time.

To answer your question regarding if there is any way i will ever be free of symptoms and/or pain, the doctors say no. I have been offered a disc replacement operation and a disc fusion operation. Common for both of them is the extremely low success rate, when it comes to tall and heavy individuals. Won't go into technicalities about the operation, but suffice it to say, the risks of me being severely crippled are too great.
    That the doctors say, i will never get well, i can't really take seriously. Doctors only have a rudimentary understanding of training and diet, and advice from doctors are always very general, unambitious and catered to "average" humans. "Eat more vegetables", "0,5 grams of protein per kg of lean body mass is plenty", "No - we can't give you HGH to promote healing, but here are 4 different kinds of opioids" - you get the picture.

So i truly believe that if i lose the weight again, and get a very strong posterior chain, i will be symptom free. I have had periods, where i hardly had any pain or discomfort, without being in stellar shape, so of course it is possible. And symptom free is a broad term. I am 45 years old, so some aches comes with the territory, and i don't care if i will ever be able to sit upright in a chair for 3-4 hours without getting pain. I'm fine having to make small adjustments to spare my back for the rest of my life.

In that vein, i have decided to give kettlebell swings a serious try. As the a-hole i am, i bought the 24 kg one a long time ago, since that was the weight for experienced lifters, so in my idiotic vanity i bought that one. Of course that caused me a lot of problems, so i kinda dropped it.
    I have now ordered the 8, 12, 16 and 20 kg models as well, so i can progress slowly into it. The aim is to start with 80 swings. 8 sets of 10 over 10 minutes on my non training days.
    I have read a LOT about it, and i believe the results from swings will rival that of deadlifts, without the spinal compression that comes from picking heavy stuff ud from the floor. Compression directly onto the lumbar region is my biggest problem, so swings should be possible. I'm excited about the prospect. I got so psyched, that my wife actually is jumping on the bandwagon, and has committed to 3 months of swings.
    Try Googling "75 kettlebell swings twice a week", and read some maybe not entirely credible testimonials, but intriguing and inspirational nevertheless.
    If the swings work out, they could be the magic bullet for a workout i could see myself doing for the rest of my life, in order to keep the fat at bay, and my back strong.

BTW - have any of you tried wall squats? Standing with your toes against a wall, and doing a squats without touching the wall with your nose, knees or chest. I SUUUUUCK at them, but they gave me an epic burn. I shook uncontrollably during my attempt, so there must be some dormant stabilizers that needs some attention, which again can only improve my back.
    Last edited by PeteDenmark; 02-12-2019 at 08:25 AM.
    Height 6'6" (200 cm)

Weight:

Weight today 125,7 - very close to the 10 kg lost mark.
    No workout today - not even a hike. Just ran a couple of errands.

Have a REALLY hard time living what i preach. 'First we cut, then we bulk'. When chubby, estrogen levels are elevated, and testosterone lower, so it makes sense to accept some losses in muscle, along with the fat.
    But is has been so long since i have done serious weight training in a caloric surplus, that i actually haven't got the faintest idea how hard it would be to gain lean mass again for me.
    My weight training thus far, has only been a support tool to maintain muscle, while losing fat, so all i have really seen, is shrinking all over - also in the places i would rather not shrink, which makes me uncomfortable.
    I actually have a much easier time not eating, than restricting calories, so i'm a bit torn between eating A LOT less, forcing my body to use ketones i guess, while still training, or sticking to getting a 'correct' amount of macros, focusing heavily on proteins .

Luke, you trained consistently while in a caloric surplus. Did you find that you gained more lean mass, than while you were dieting?
    Height 6'6" (200 cm)

Weight:

Minimal lean mass gains vs deficit training, I suspect because I didn't change the load output as a result of my time constraints... My workouts were much easier to get through, and they didn't leave me feeling like a husk of a human for three hours post...

Tried wall squats today, I have to take a very wide stance to stop from falling over, and the core activation is massive. I am going to add them as homework a few times a week to address some weaknesses they highlighted.

Strong attitude towards your recovery, I think that's going to count for a lot moving forward... Lol at the giant kettlebell, seems exactly like the sort of thing I would do

also - massive progress on the weight front - 5 kg in less than 2 weeks... That's got to feel good.

Thank Luke. Yeah - i'm enjoying being ahead of the curve on the scale. Would dearly love to see the sub 120 mark within 30 days. that's my normal pants rangs .
    Went swimming today in a local pool. Didn't go there to swim, though did swin 400 meters, but mostly to do stretches in the water, and get a clear picture of, what is just tight, what is weakened, and what is damaged. Good news is, that since i'm officially handicapped, i got the admission for half price .

Mobility wise, my biggest problem i shortened quads. My hip flexors are are somewhat ok, but the tightness i'm my quad is simply a matter of me having avoided painful positions for too long. So for the last 8 years, i haven't been able to perform a glute bridge, where i actually get my butt to or above a straight line. This also mean that i have no real leg drive in my bench.
    A lot of problems arise when your thigh muscle draws you forward a bit, so problem compound.

I do specific yoga to loosening quad and hip flexor, And have built two 30cx60cmx15cm power blocks, to put under my training bench, in order to for my thighs to go below horizontal, when lying on it, and having me feet flat on the floor. But it hurts a lot. And i can't quite figure out if it's in a good way. I have to lie there controlling my breathing, forcing my glutes to relax, while shaking like a leaf, get momentary jolts in my lumbar region.
    My hillbilly way of looking at it is, that if my bone-on-bone lower back is going to fuse by itself, which might happen from further wear, it should be in a position that is neutral, and usable.

Since i have decided that his weight loss and training journey i do this time, is MOSTLY about getting functional and flexibility enough to keep strict form in every aspect of my life, i have made an appointment with a Physical Therapist. She is specialised in the McKensey method, power Yoga, rehabilitation on both people coming back from operations, but also people recovering from sports injuries, and a whole slew of other techniques.
    I wrote and told her if she could help me target my weak points, and give me a effective and hardcore way of working it out, and she said she felt sure she could help. A good sign is, that there was a month waiting list to get a consultation, so it seem she is in high demand.
    It actually scares me somewhat. Whenever i'm presented with movements, that are simple for healthy people, that i can't do, i get sad, and a little emotional. The feeling of complete lack of control activates some traumas in me.
    Even when i do progressive glute bridge thrusts, where i can't get to horizontal, i now employ an electric winch to pull my pelvis progressively nearer the top of the movement. Whenever i'm in that position, i get a strong emotional response.
    So i really hope she knows what she is doing, so i will trust her.
    I only have to pay £20 for the session, that state pays the rest, and after you have paid £110, treatment and consultations are free for the rest of the year.

Decided to do i Bench press only session today. Proper warm up, fitness band face pulls and reverse flyers, and a patient progression of the weights on the barbell. Did 5x90 kg, and 3x100kg without any supporting gear, and then a heavy single of 120 kg with powerlifting elbow sleeves, belt and a slingshot.
    And the weird thing is, that i'm not even sore, nor do i have any nagging shoulder or elbow tinges. I feel fine.
    My wife was there to spot best she could, but her not being experienced, i did not dare give absolutely everything. So right now, i'm feeling just a little better with my strength, and have a small inkling of a hope, that i might be able to get back a reasonable level in 6-8 months.

Looked at myself if the full body mirror at the pool today. In the flat unflattering light, i really didn't like what i saw. I might have lost nearly 10 kg, from the 135 kg i was 1. january (and a ton less than the 159 i started from), but damn i look flappy now. I really have to work up to it, if i am to post a regression picture, since i really don't see myself as that person. But there is no denying it. I need to lose at least 15 more in order to feel like i can recognize myself.
    Last edited by PeteDenmark; 02-15-2019 at 01:28 PM.
    Height 6'6" (200 cm)

Weight:

AZAZEL833 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank Luke. Yeah - i'm enjoying being ahead of the curve on the scale. Would dearly love to see the sub 120 mark within 30 days. that's my normal pants rangs .
    Went swimming today in a local pool. Didn't go there to swim, though did swin 400 meters, but mostly to do stretches in the water, and get a clear picture of, what is just tight, what is weakened, and what is damaged. Good news is, that since i'm officially handicapped, i got the admission for half price .

Mobility wise, my biggest problem i shortened quads. My hip flexors are are somewhat ok, but the tightness i'm my quad is simply a matter of me having avoided painful positions for too long. So for the last 8 years, i haven't been able to perform a glute bridge, where i actually get my butt to or above a straight line. This also mean that i have no real leg drive in my bench.
    A lot of problems arise when your thigh muscle draws you forward a bit, so problem compound.

I do specific yoga to loosening quad and hip flexor, And have built two 30cx60cmx15cm power blocks, to put under my training bench, in order to for my thighs to go below horizontal, when lying on it, and having me feet flat on the floor. But it hurts a lot. And i can't quite figure out if it's in a good way. I have to lie there controlling my breathing, forcing my glutes to relax, while shaking like a leaf, get momentary jolts in my lumbar region.
    My hillbilly way of looking at it is, that if my bone-on-bone lower back is going to fuse by itself, which might happen from further wear, it should be in a position that is neutral, and usable.

Since i have decided that his weight loss and training journey i do this time, is MOSTLY about getting functional and flexibility enough to keep strict form in every aspect of my life, i have made an appointment with a Physical Therapist. She is specialised in the McKensey method, power Yoga, rehabilitation on both people coming back from operations, but also people recovering from sports injuries, and a whole slew of other techniques.
    I wrote and told her if she could help me target my weak points, and give me a effective and hardcore way of working it out, and she said she felt sure she could help. A good sign is, that there was a month waiting list to get a consultation, so it seem she is in high demand.
    It actually scares me somewhat. Whenever i'm presented with movements, that are simple for healthy people, that i can't do, i get sad, and a little emotional. The feeling of complete lack of control activates some traumas in me.
    Even when i do progressive glute bridge thrusts, where i can't get to horizontal, i now employ an electric winch to pull my pelvis progressively nearer the top of the movement. Whenever i'm in that position, i get a strong emotional response.
    So i really hope she knows what she is doing, so i will trust her.
    I only have to pay £20 for the session, that state pays the rest, and after you have paid £110, treatment and consultations are free for the rest of the year.

Decided to do i Bench press only session today. Proper warm up, fitness band face pulls and reverse flyers, and a patient progression of the weights on the barbell. Did 5x90 kg, and 3x100kg without any supporting gear, and then a heavy single of 120 kg with powerlifting elbow sleeves, belt and a slingshot.
    And the weird thing is, that i'm not even sore, nor do i have any nagging shoulder or elbow tinges. I feel fine.
    My wife was there to spot best she could, but her not being experienced, i did not dare give absolutely everything. So right now, i'm feeling just a little better with my strength, and have a small inkling of a hope, that i might be able to get back a reasonable level in 6-8 months.

Looked at myself if the full body mirror at the pool today. In the flat unflattering light, i really didn't like what i saw. I might have lost nearly 10 kg, form the 135 kg 1. january (and a ton less than the 159 i started from), but damn i look flappy now. I really have to work up to it, if i am to post a regression picture, since i really don't see myself as that person. But there is no denying it. I need to lose at least 15 more in order to feel like i can recognize myself.

Hi Pete
    Been following your log for 2 years now. Really nice and inspiring read.
    I have lost 40kg myself from 130 to 90
    Wanna ask you, where did you buy your slingshot from ?

I leave in Copenhagen

Originally Posted by AZAZEL833 View Post
    Hi Pete
    Been following your log for 2 years now. Really nice and inspiring read.
    I have lost 40kg myself from 130 to 90
    Wanna ask you, where did you buy your slingshot from ?

I leave in Copenhagen
    Thanks man, and congrats on your massive weight loss, and thank you for following along. I bough my slingshot at www.improveyourbench.co.uk . Mine is the "reactive" model.

My back is still messing with me. I thought i could speed up the recovery by being active, but it seems to just have to run its course. I guess i have pushed my luck a little, since i threw in a slew of yoga stretches, which might have be counterproductive. The muscles in my back spasm quite a lot when i have the bouts of lumbago, so doing a static stretch against that, may have caused it to contract harder. I will try to exercise some patience, and work around the problem.

So - i made myself a dip belt from an old lifting belt, and a couple of heavy duty power blocks (a 60x30x15 cm box) so i can do hip belt squats, without loading my spine. Wow - that was hard. Belt squat machines hasn't been a part of any of the gyms i have been a member of for the last 10 years, so i have trained my legs the best i could with leg extensions, leg curl and different bodyweight exercises like romanian squats.
    Wow - loading up 60 kg on the belt, getting on the blocks, and dipping the weight down between the blocks, until my thighs were vertical... Damn - that was an instant burn. Even with my back, i have experimented with barbell squats, and can do 60 kg pretty comfortably, but isolating the glutes and quads in this way makes me realize just how much i've recruited other muscles when squatting. They were very hard, which i guess is a good thing. An exercise i where i can push, without the soft tissue being the weakest link, AND i can do them even if my back doesn't agree with me. From now on, that exercise will be the first in my workout routine.

Kettlebells arriving monday, so with hip belt squats and kettlebell swings as a regular part of my program, i'm really hoping that i will discover some hidden potential in my body, even if it is going suck getting used to it . From the little i have actually swung a kettlebell, i know it's very hard, and demands more oxygen to perform, than my lungs and heart can supply at this moment, so nausea and dizziness is something i have to look forward to.

Just checked my macros for the week. Average of 1700 cals, and 195 grams of protein a day, and i haven't eaten over my daily allotment once since i started dieting again. Only "unclean" thing i have eaten, was a scoop of icecream at a birthday party, which i mostly ate to be courteous, since the host made it himself. So compliance is very good, and doesn't feel invasive at all right now.
    Last edited by PeteDenmark; 02-15-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Weight today 124,7 kg. More than 10 kg lost in 45 days, and i jumped the gun on trying on my regular pants. They are still a bit tight, but i can actually wear them, without it being uncomfortable. This opens up a slew of wardrobe opportunities .

On a whim, i decided to weigh my olympic bar, and all my weight plates, on my calibrated postal scale. Turns out the are all heavier than what is written on them. My bar should be 20 kg, but is 21,5. My 20 kg plates weighed 22,5 kg. My 15 kg plates are 16 kg. The 5 kg plates are 5,2 kg (so not too bad).
    Admittedly it isn't a premium weight set i have, but not the cheapest either, so it never crossed my mind to check them.

This is a big deal for me. This means, than when i thought i was benching 90 kg, i was actually lifting 98,5 kg, and the 100 kg was 109 kg. When you are very used to a movement, a difference of 8,5 kg is huge, and loading up for a 3 rep set with almost 10 kg more than i thought, is actually dangerous. I always figured i was doing better at the gym, because it was warmer and also from motivation being in room with other lifters. Benching at my deck has always felt awkward, and now i know why.

I should be glad that i'm a bit stronger than i thought, but mostly i'm pissed that i have sabotaged myself, because of the inaccuracy of the weights.
    It shouldn't matter what weight i was lifting, and i should have adjusted the weight according to how it felt, not what i figured i should be able to lift. But i'm an idiot, and i still haven't kicked the ego, and never forgotten what i used to lift at different fitness levels, so i have actually compromised my soft tissue, because "i knew" i was lifting a weight i should be able to handle.

I should write a strongly worded letter to the company that sold me the weights - ok maybe not .
    Height 6'6" (200 cm)

Weight: