littellx23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry Serious Plateau in fat loss

I'm currently 5'10" 198 lbs
    and 14% bf. Over the past 9 months I've lost 67 pounds. I've intermittent fasted and did a 6 meal a day no carb diet cycle over the last 9 months. Strength has gone way up but my body fat hasn't changed in the last couple months, and I havent lost much weight in the last month. Ive been around 2,400 cals a day, lots of protein, minimal fat, and <100g carbs a day. Any suggestions to help me achieve my 10% body fat goal? 5 days a week strength training with a mile jog before and after lifting

Registered User BecomingSmaller's Avatar
    BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What's your definition of not losing much in a month?
    I never saw a wild thing
    sorry for itself.
    A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
    without ever having felt sorry for itself.

54 year old male 6'4
    Jan 2016: 315#, May 2017: 185# 15%
    Next goal: 185# 12%
    #250kchallenge2018

gomil is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomil is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomil is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomil is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomil is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomil is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomil is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomil is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomil is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomil is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomil is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You need to eat less and move more; re-feeds won't do anything, carb cycling won't do anything, excess protein won't do anything, IF won't do anything.

Also, increase your fat intake and keep carbs as high as possible whilst keeping your protein intake minimal unless you want your wallet to also get lighter.
    Calories In, Calories Out.

StandByFit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StandByFit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StandByFit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StandByFit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StandByFit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StandByFit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StandByFit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by littellx23 View Post
    I'm currently 5'10" 198 lbs
    and 14% bf. Over the past 9 months I've lost 67 pounds. I've intermittent fasted and did a 6 meal a day no carb diet cycle over the last 9 months. Strength has gone way up but my body fat hasn't changed in the last couple months, and I havent lost much weight in the last month. Ive been around 2,400 cals a day, lots of protein, minimal fat, and <100g carbs a day. Any suggestions to help me achieve my 10% body fat goal? 5 days a week strength training with a mile jog before and after lifting
    try a refeed and if that does not work drop your calories

Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by BecomingSmaller View Post
    ^This. If you are not losing at all, then you are not accurate in your calorie counting. I would drop your calories a little lower and see what happens (to account for errors). Oh... are you adding back in calories from exercise? That is something that messes a lot of people up on here. If you are eating an actual 2400 calories, you will lose weight.
    Was 280+ at the beginning of 2019 (highest recorded weight is 290 on Dec 13, 2018).

Jan 01, 2020...202.0
    Jan 08, 2020...goal is 200.5

Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I assume you are already tracking both intake and results in a consistent manner, if you're not, don't take my advice written below the line!

Do you eat enough carbs to fuel your workouts?

--------------------------------------------------------

Increase the number of reps in your strength workout by 33% and lower weight by 25%, add an extra set if needed. This can be done in many ways and numbers aren't strict.

Replace the jogging post-workout with alternating sprints and walking, on at least 2 non-consecutive, non-leg-days. That's some HIIT for you.

Swap ut some amounts of protein for quality fats. Your fat macro matters.

This adjustment should increase your caloric burning by added hypertrophy, post HIIT-burn and hopefully shift your hormonal levels to a degree.
    Last edited by Tucane; 11-10-2016 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Corr
    ~ Feel free to PM me if you have any questions ~

" As mind ~ as matter "

Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    As was already pointed out in the thread, you need to either eat less, or move more, or both. I suggest lowering calories, and paying a lot of attention to accurate calorie tracking, because that was key for me personally. I thought I had hit a "plateau" due to "metabolic damage" at around 93 kg. Some people advised me (not on this forum) to eat more, and to eat at maintenance while increasing activity to the max. Well, I didn't eat more. I actually lowered calories and started weighing practically everything with a food scale. I was surprised at how many calories I was consuming.

After lowering my calories and implementing accurate tracking, weight loss continued without problems. No plateau anymore.

Depending on how much weight you already lost, it is possible (I think) that your TDEE at your weight is different from someone elses TDEE at the same weight who didn't go through a dieting process. However, it is not as significant as many people think.

It is my opinion that the vast majority of plateaus are simply due to miscalculation of energy balance, as your body absolutely needs a certain amount of calories to sustain your body weight. Weight loss can slow down during long periods of starvation-level calories, but it never eliminate the effects of a consistent calorie deficit.

Also keep in mind that if you're doing the exact same type of cardio as you were doing when you started dieting, it's calorie burning effects are much lower after having lost a lot of weight. Your non-exercise activity will be lower as well, simply because you weigh a lot less.

In short: Lower your calories, slightly increase your activity, and carefully monitor everything you put in your mouth. If done properly, you will lose weight.

And weigh yourself in the same manner each time.

Best of luck.

rleatfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleatfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleatfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleatfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleatfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleatfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleatfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleatfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleatfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleatfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleatfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    look at increasing your NEAT which is any kind of activity that burns calories that isnt exercise for example walking more and taking the stairs instead of a lift etc, also consider dropping your calories by 5% to increase the deficit.
    A Personal trainer based in bristol (UK)
    http://rleat-fitness.com/

Registered User SubWooferCooker's Avatar
    SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You've lost 62lbs, Your maintenance level will have dropped loosing that much weight, You will need to eat less calories that you did at the start for the same rate of fat loss.

ZahKing is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Lower your cals by 250 and see how that effects your weight after a week or 2. If there's no result lower your cals again by 250. It's simple: if you don't lose weight, you're simply eating too much.

Also, stop starving yourself and get some more fat (it depends on what you mean by minimal of course) and carbs. Your body needs fat for hormone regulation/boosting test which will result in some more fat getting burned. Eat more carbs so you get more energy for good workouts and increase muscle size more effectively, resulting in more lean mass and more fat getting burned because of the increase in muscle mass.

And one more thing: your body actually needs carbs to build muscle as well. Protein let's your muscles recover and all, but carbs also build new muscle tissue.

My first post, hope it's a strong one.

zukz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zukz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zukz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zukz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zukz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zukz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zukz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zukz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zukz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zukz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zukz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    You need to up your cardio and up your BMR and TDEE

Then once they are 400 - 500 cals more you can maintain the diet you're on and burn 400 - 500 cals a day for 1lb per week loss.

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BecomingSmaller View Post

x2, how much OP?
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl