Thread: My First Cut

ih8sens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My First Cut

Hey everyone,

This is more a diary than a log, but feel free to read and/or make some suggestions .

When I started making some sort of attempt at fitness back in late August I was:

6'2" and 246lb

My body fat percentage (according to an average over the course of a week or so) using a fancy scale I picked up a few years back was 30%. I know those things can be horribly inaccurate, but as long as I'm tracking under the same circumstances and with the same scale, it should at least help me see what direction I'm trending.

Anyway, I decided to 'bulk' first. Apparently that's a no-no, but I figured I had a much easier time gaining mass than losing it, so why not start there and worry about the diet later. And so, tracking but not strictly controlling my diet, I started the SL 5x5 program.

Over the course of 12 weeks (and with one deload across the board because I got super sick for a week), I managed to achieve the following lifts (all 5x5, DL 1x5)

Deadlift - 325
    Squat - 265 (Super good form, I just had a video taken)
    Bench - 165
    Row - 155
    OHP - 120 (from 80!)

Not super awesome or anything, but my 1rm squat was 185 twelve weeks ago, so I'm happy with the progress. And I can't believe how 'easy' it was.. no DOMS, no failures (except once squatting 225), no pain and plenty of gains .

Over these 12 weeks I went up from 246 to 266lb. My body fat percentage increased from 30 to 31.5. If my math is correct that means I gained about 10lb of muscle and 10lb of fat. More fat than I would have liked, but I ate pizza like 20 times over the 12 weeks, so I don't know what I expected lol...

I decided to cut because some of my suit pants were getting a little tight and if I was going to be buying new clothes I certainly was not wanting to go up a size! At the same time I was really nervous about muscle loss. I have a bit of a medical background, so I understood that it was difficult/impossible to gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously, but at the very least I don't want to lose the muscle I just gained while I lose the fat... that seems like an awful waste of time.

And so after a bit of research I decided to start Keto for the supposed 'protein sparing' effects. I started Sunday night after a huge meal and this morning (Wednesday) I finally got a test strip to turn pink for me. Best pee of my life.

Anyway, that's where I'm at now. I'd like to cut down to 25% body fat over the course of 6-8 weeks, but I don't really know if that's realistic. I've never tried to lose weight (fat) before.

In terms of feeling:
    - My clothes already fit better, but that doesn't make sense.
    - I used to poop twice per day, or more. I'm lucky if I get a half poop in now... presumably that's all the meat and cheese combined with the lack of fibre because I'm not eating a whole wheat sandwich every day? I'll give it a few more days and then I'll start looking for a supplement.
    - Not getting heavy duty sugar cravings like I expected, but I was never a sugar guy. I was a meatball sub guy.
    - A little bit of a tired/weak feeling. I thought that was supposed to go away once you were in ketosis.
    - No appetite at all. I could probably go all day on breakfast.
    - A bit of stress. I pretty much stopped cooking when I figured out I could "hit my macros" by eating Subway and/or Big Macs lol. All of a sudden eating out is strictly off limits because everything is full of freaking carbs dammit. Gonna have to start cooking for a few days at a time.

Well, that's it for now. I'm not gonna bother weighing in while I'm dropping all kinds of water weight. I'll probably post here every week or so. If I'm doing anything horribly wrong somebody please let me know :P.

-Matt

ih8sens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Little update.. Friday, November 25.

So... I'm up somewhere between 2 and 4 pounds. So that's stupid.
    And... I have a constant headache.
    And... I'm not in Keto anymore according to those strips, which makes no sense.
    And... I can't freaking stop peeing.
    And... I'm weak. I got my 270 squat but felt like crap. I got my 160 bench and felt like crap. And then I blacked out the moment I started rowing and had to sit in a corner for a few minutes before I could walk down the stairs to go home.

I enjoy lifting. I hate dieting. I'm going back to intermittent fasting. You keto people are nuts.

arabhw is on a distinguished road. (+10) arabhw is on a distinguished road. (+10) arabhw is on a distinguished road. (+10) arabhw is on a distinguished road. (+10) arabhw is on a distinguished road. (+10) arabhw is on a distinguished road. (+10) arabhw is on a distinguished road. (+10) arabhw is on a distinguished road. (+10) arabhw is on a distinguished road. (+10) arabhw is on a distinguished road. (+10) arabhw is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ih8sens View Post
    Little update.. Friday, November 25.

So... I'm up somewhere between 2 and 4 pounds. So that's stupid.
    And... I have a constant headache.
    And... I'm not in Keto anymore according to those strips, which makes no sense.
    And... I can't freaking stop peeing.
    And... I'm weak. I got my 270 squat but felt like crap. I got my 160 bench and felt like crap. And then I blacked out the moment I started rowing and had to sit in a corner for a few minutes before I could walk down the stairs to go home.

I enjoy lifting. I hate dieting. I'm going back to intermittent fasting. You keto people are nuts.
    You still need few more days. keep up man.
    Don't depends much on strips, try it after Workout it will be darker. It is just an indicator.
    Feeling headache, peeing a lot, losing power means that you are on the right way. Keep up some more days. And try to fully cut carbs (only those from vegetables). passing suggested carbs will keep the side affects take more time. Your body will be fully adopted to keto whem it stay sometimes without carbs, then your livers will start a hard work to make ketones.