Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Melendez1223 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

re

Absolutely, my CAP bar had metal pieces on the inside floating around. After fixing it up it doubled the spin and smoothness, and also gave me a chance to wipe off that ugly green sticker. The Troy bar was more of the same, I'm much happier with its performance than I was initially, the spin seemed rough and only lasted for about 12-14 seconds when tested (both sides). Now it seems much smoother and is going for 18-20 seconds on average when using a 45lb plate and several spins. I saw a video a long time ago where someone suggested doing this initial maintenance with every bar you buy, even if it's an Ivanko or Eleiko. I would just be nervous as hell breaking one of those down LOL

DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Melendez1223 View Post
    Absolutely, my CAP bar had metal pieces on the inside floating around. After fixing it up it doubled the spin and smoothness, and also gave me a chance to wipe off that ugly green sticker. The Troy bar was more of the same, I'm much happier with its performance than I was initially, the spin seemed rough and only lasted for about 12-14 seconds when tested (both sides). Now it seems much smoother and is going for 18-20 seconds on average when using a 45lb plate and several spins. I saw a video a long time ago where someone suggested doing this initial maintenance with every bar you buy, even if it's an Ivanko or Eleiko. I would just be nervous as hell breaking one of those down LOL
    I've begun a habit of refurbishing old barbells and clamps. I put in the work on a fully rusted out Rogue Castro bar and a fully frozen sleeved Ivanko OB-84 (I think Ivanko's first ever barbell). Also have a pair of every Ivanko pressure ring collar they make that was thrown in with the Ivanko gear I recently picked up (3 pairs, 10lb, 5lb, and 2-1/2lb)

Got all of these for under 100 dollars total, but in terms of labor probably put in about 12 hrs worth restoring them all. Time is money, but I enjoyed the process. I even stripped down to bare steel and re-oxidized to black part of the Ivanko bar. I already had some brass wire wheels, and the only out of pocket unique tool I bought was a channel lock snap ring tool. Super lube I had handy.

The Rogue Castro 1.0 spins the best like it's on bearings. The Ivanko OB-84 has the tightest tolerances as doesn't' have an vertical play at all, and just some slight horizontal movement. Surprisingly the only barbell i bought new, I don't use (Rogue 2.0 bar).

Don't be afraid of a quality brand model that needs a little work. You can save a lot of money. You don't need to fully restore like I did, just the sleeve internals is essential.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by DarthCholo; 05-27-2019 at 11:11 PM.

EricWillson is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    thanks for this knowledge.
    I was looking for a forum that can help me get all this knowledge.

tmonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Gamecockbell View Post
    I have the AB elite power bar because it was one of the few options for stainless steel at the time. Ive been disappointed in the durability of the sleeves. I recently purchased the xmark curl bar- with chrome sleeves and they are mint condition after a month. The AB was scratched after a few sessions. The knurling on the AB is good for general strength exercises which is what I was into at the time. But now I'm gravitating more towards growing DL,SQ,BP,OHP and I wish the knurling was more aggressive. Just my .02. I'm going to keep the AB but I'm sure I'll eventually add the OPB or something similar.

interesting
    i was thinking of a ab bar because i thought the hard chrome sleeves would stand up the best

whats the best cerakote bar available now with the most aggressive knurl? was looking at the california

l

tmonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tmonkey View Post
    interesting
    i was thinking of a ab bar because i thought the hard chrome sleeves would stand up the best

whats the best cerakote bar available now with the most aggressive knurl? was looking at the california

l
    maybe i posted in the wrong area?

radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    maybe i posted in the wrong area?
    Your best option for durability is stainless.

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Your best option for durability is stainless.
    I just hate beat up sleeves lol

My son wanted a rouge ohio bar so i ordered that but I'm going to want a power bar for myself soon probably

radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I just hate beat up sleeves lol

My son wanted a rouge ohio bar so i ordered that but I'm going to want a power bar for myself soon probably
    A bar with stainless sleeves is what you want. Vulcan Strength and Rep Fitness both make them. Rep should be putting a more aggressive version of their stainless bar up any day. That's the one I'd probably get.

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    A bar with stainless sleeves is what you want. Vulcan Strength and Rep Fitness both make them. Rep should be putting a more aggressive version of their stainless bar up any day. That's the one I'd probably get.
    ok thanks

CharlottePT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CharlottePT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CharlottePT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CharlottePT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CharlottePT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CharlottePT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CharlottePT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CharlottePT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CharlottePT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CharlottePT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CharlottePT has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm looking to replace a general purpose bar.

I've been using the rep fitness excalibur bar (original) for years....primarily for shrugs, rows, etc. I have the rogue and kabuki power bar, I have a duffalo bar, etc...

I'd like a bar with sharper knurling than the old excalibur as its basically smooth now and no center knurl

I also have the rogue 2.0 bar and dont like it at all...it's very loud and I don't like the knurling at all. It's more aggressive than excalibur but not by much. I got the black zinc finish at the time which I think made it even less aggressive

Originally Posted by CharlottePT View Post
    I'm looking to replace a general purpose bar.

I've been using the rep fitness excalibur bar (original) for years....primarily for shrugs, rows, etc. I have the rogue and kabuki power bar, I have a duffalo bar, etc...

I'd like a bar with sharper knurling than the old excalibur as its basically smooth now and no center knurl

I also have the rogue 2.0 bar and dont like it at all...it's very loud and I don't like the knurling at all. It's more aggressive than excalibur but not by much. I got the black zinc finish at the time which I think made it even less aggressive
    Depending on your budget the new Rep EX Power Bar might be perfect. Stainless with sharp knurling. They usually have a good Black Friday sale, but who knows if the bar will be included.
    https://www.repfitness.com/rep-deep-knurl-power-bar-ex