Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Over 50 seniors. What lifts have you dropped?

Dropped as in stopped doing because you felt unsafe doing them or were not recovering well. I'm seriously considering dropping squats all together. I've taken a break from them the last 3 weeks and I feel a lot better for it. I did squats on fridays because they left me really sore the whole weekend and I would have had trouble doing my job had it been week days. I've done them twice and even 3 times a week over the last year and in fact 3 x week left me less sore but just generally fatigued. I don't have any mobility issues for my age and I have pretty good form (high bar).

Last 3 weeks I have been doing deficit trapbar squats (getting as low as I can on start up) then leg press and hamstring curls. I warm up with SLDLs on deadlift day to get some more hamstring work in.

Soon to turn 59 years and I want to keep working out safely for many years to come.

Be interesting to hear what some of you senoirs have experienced. And... don't any of you 40 year old pups try to tell me age makes no differance. It does but you just have to work with it

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'm still slowly increasing my squats, but probably not to nearly the weight that yours were when you dropped them. My latest 5-rep is 250 lbs. My back is pretty comfortable at that weight. I'm deadlifting 355, and I do feel it a bit after that set is done, but not so much that it seems excessive.

Have you considered just lowering the weight and going more for reps? Age does make a difference, but not necessarily so much that you have to give up basic lifts. Range of motion is probably more important than absolute weight.
    β€œThose who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

BBgreen50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBgreen50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBgreen50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBgreen50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBgreen50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBgreen50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBgreen50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBgreen50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBgreen50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBgreen50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBgreen50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by PiperBill View Post
    ...Soon to turn 59 years and I want to keep working out safely for many years to come...
    59 and still working out, you're my hero PiperBill

I'm 51, just started working out about 6 weeks ago. I too find doing barbell squats very exhausting, I'm much more comfortable using the v-squat machine at the same weight so I use it more often and only do barbell squats occasionally.

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    IMO, I don't think age dictates what movements you should drop, but more so injuries, regardless of age.

I am 52, not dropping anything unless of course injury preventing, but as of right now, nothing.
    On the list for Bannukah

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bill,
    Im your age and still squat but only once a week because of what you mentioned,recovery.
    There is no way i could go three days a week with good intensity i'd be zapped.
    If i want to work legs another day i might do sled drags forward and backward.
    There is no eccentric with these so it's much easier on the joints.
    Also with these you can easily control range of motion and the path you want your legs to take(wide or narrow,short or long strides).
    Also with squatting these days i use the safety squat bar more so it doesn't aggravate my shoulders.
    I can still squat with an oly bar but since I'm really just trying to work legs and not compete in a PL meet it makes more sense for us old fellas.
    So with training i adjust the movements lifts to suit my needs and train to stimulate not annihilate what area I'm working.It will different for different people and will have to experiment and adjust to what works you but doesn't trash you.

congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000)
    Almost 50 in a few month, so I'll give it a shot. Recently started feeling some grinding in my right knee as I walk down stairs. Had an x-ray and doctor said it was a nonissue until it begins to hurt. I was concerned with deep squats and having a hard time trusting myself with heavier weight squat workouts. I had a good belt, but found that once I got a pair of knee sleeves my confidence went up and so did the weight.

I have never had an issue from lifting, but Brazilian jujitsu, racquetball, and other sports have led to some issues (sprains, hyper extensions, pulls..). But I am pretty basic with my leg work - back squats (low bar), cleans or dead lifts (traditional), with RDL, GHR, hip extensions, and box jumps to support. Don't do any calf work, since dead lifts and power cleans do plenty. I also do sprints or something else (basketball, recquetball...) at least twice a week to keep the body moving.

Recovery is the biggest issue for me. I do a two day upper/lower split (bench/squat, OHP/dead lift), about 4-days a week. Sometimes I will spread it out over 9 days with a day in between each workout and two at the end. It all depends on work/family and what my body tells me. I am currently doing squats on my second day with GHR to warm up, box jumps between, and RDL to finish. But I don't go too heavy on any lifts (squats at 300+ lbs for last set) and follow 5/3/1 Maximally for programming my lifts. My fourth day, I do either cleans or dead lifts for my lower. I find doing deadlifts (350+ lbs for last set) every week wipes me out (similar to squats for you), so I do power cleans for two weeks and deads for the third with kettle bell swings to warm up and hip extensions to finish. I am hoping to keep squats/bench/dead lifts/cleans/OHP as my core lifts forever. The only exercise I may change are ring dips. They are a bit tough on my shoulder, so I may rotate them out for ring push ups or DB inclines. Dips are great for tension on the lower pecs, so may revise my form instead. I'm interested to hear what everyone else has to say on this subject.

PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BBgreen50 View Post
    59 and still working out, you're my hero PiperBill
    Lol I'm nobodys hero that's for sure. I struggled with squats when I started serious lifting about 2.5 years ago. Then, when I finally sorted out form, I got very comfortable with them and they were my favorite lift for quite a while. I always got real sore but I kind of liked that in a way. Did 10x10 and another high volume program at one stage but have mostly done 531.

My numbers are not big at all but at 165 lbm having 260 on my back started to feel risky. Yes I could drop the weight to say 70% and do more volume but I still get real sore from that too.

It's the aches and sorness that's putting me off more than anything I think.

pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000)
    At 56, Leg days are my favorite. I'm much more careful with overhead pressing. The only problems I've had are with shoulders. I won't go heavy with inclined bench presses; It's something to do with the angle that knocks my shoulders out for a couple weeks. Straight up and down with dumb bells seems to be the safest for me. If I press with a bar, I'm careful to do it with good form and not get sloppy.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It sounds like you have not learned how to balance your intensity and volume. Squats are such a fundamentally important lift for overall "functional" strength that it seems silly to me to drop them. I don't think they are the only way to grow legs (there are likely better options for actual leg growth), but they are important to keep mobility, balance, back and hip strength in general . Standing up from a squat or seated position is what keeps you from needing one of those fancy necklaces that calls the paramedics...

Try working up up to a single set that is challenging for 5-8 reps. IMO 20-30 reps (including warmups) should be doable. Weight training is scale-able, you can adjust as needed for recovery etc. I personally would never want to squat 1X per week, thats a recipe for DOMS for me. I do a heavy/hard day then a lighter but higher volume day "recovery" day that allows me to get some reps, grease the groove and keep DOMS a rare event. Squats wear me out too, they are hard. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop doing them, just find a work scheme that allows you to get quality work in, without overdoing it.

startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    over 50 .... seniors ????
    you take that back !!!

50 is the new 35
    60 is the new 40

seniors is triple digits, my friend
    I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
    (Marshall McLuhan)

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    One thing I wished I did in my younger years is bird dogs. It's a great movement to strengthen the lumbar spine and 2 back surgeries later, they'll be part of my daily routine once I'm cleared to train again. I went from 700# squats in my 40's to having my lumbar fused. I strongly recommend McGill big 3 to everyone who wants a long lifting career.

ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    It sounds like you have not learned how to balance your intensity and volume. Squats are such a fundamentally important lift for overall "functional" strength that it seems silly to me to drop them. I don't think they are the only way to grow legs (there are likely better options for actual leg growth), but they are important to keep mobility, balance, back and hip strength in general . Standing up from a squat or seated position is what keeps you from needing one of those fancy necklaces that calls the paramedics...

Try working up up to a single set that is challenging for 5-8 reps. IMO 20-30 reps (including warmups) should be doable. Weight training is scale-able, you can adjust as needed for recovery etc. I personally would never want to squat 1X per week, thats a recipe for DOMS for me. I do a heavy/hard day then a lighter but higher volume day "recovery" day that allows me to get some reps, grease the groove and keep DOMS a rare event. Squats wear me out too, they are hard. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop doing them, just find a work scheme that allows you to get quality work in, without overdoing it.
    Madcow also recommends a light day in the middle of the 3-day schedule for squats. Heavy 5-reps for day 1, light 5-reps for day 2, heavier 3-reps for day 3, and then two days rest. I find that this gives me plenty of recovery time before the next cycle begins. I only do deadlifts once per week (same day as the light squats), but doing squats 3 times helps keep those DOMS to a minimum.
    -Voltaire

It sounds like you have not learned how to balance your intensity and volume.....
    Yes that's it! How do I do 531 squats where the last set requires all out effort and as many reps as possible without ending up half crippled for the next 2 days? I mean if I lower the weight then I would be able to do more reps on the last set but the end result is the same. If I only do the required 5 or 3 or 1 reps then I'm not really following the program as it's meant to be.

I go all in on my workouts and don't feel like I've done enough unless I'm totally empty. This has not been a problem on the other lifts (not even deadlifts) but going all out for squats is not working for me.

With the trapbar DL/squat and leg press combo I'm recovering much better with no more than a slight soreness and I think (although it's too early to know) my other lifts are stronger. I hit a new PR on deadlifts yesterday.

I really like the 531 format coz I don't have to think.... just do, but maybe it's not the best way for an older geezer. :-)

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yes that's it! How do I do 531 squats where the last set requires all out effort and as many reps as possible without ending up half crippled for the next 2 days? I mean if I lower the weight then I would be able to do more reps on the last set but the end result is the same. If I only do the required 5 or 3 or 1 reps then I'm not really following the program as it's meant to be.

I go all in on my workouts and don't feel like I've done enough unless I'm totally empty. This has not been a problem on the other lifts (not even deadlifts) but going all out for squats is not working for me.

With the trapbar DL/squat and leg press combo I'm recovering much better with no more than a slight soreness and I think (although it's too early to know) my other lifts are stronger. I hit a new PR on deadlifts yesterday.

I really like the 531 format coz I don't have to think.... just do, but maybe it's not the best way for an older geezer. :-)
    What are you doing for the squat accessory? if your doing BBB 5x10 that ran me into the ground pretty quickly especially on DLs. There is a balance you need to find with intensity and volume, and it is individual. What works for Wendler, might be too much for you.

If your not planning on stepping on a platform, perhaps you could modify your squat work rather than removing them completely. Grinder reps on squats or deads have an effect on me and Im 22 years younger (and I do believe it matters to an extent, specifically recovery). A couple of options would be to down regulate your intensity on the last set. Instead of going to the last rep you can possibly manage if your life depended on it, stop another rep or two short of that, that would have you working at a higher intensity. Otherwise you could try just doing the BBB 5/3 at 90% and not doing the main lift (just the warm ups). There are a lot of options. You just need to either pick the template that fits your recovery ability, eat more/ sleep more, or otherwise figure out a way to get enough work done to provide a stimuli for progressive overload without sapping you so much that you cannot recover. Its something I struggle with too and I am usually pretty good about auto-regulating my workload based on how I'm feeling.

What are you doing for the squat accessory? if your doing BBB 5x10 that ran me into the ground pretty quickly especially on DLs. There is a balance you need to find with intensity and volume, and it is individual. What works for Wendler, might be too much for you.
    I do accessories a bit add hoc if I've got something left in the tank. I'll sometimes do 2 or 3 extra sets of squats sometimes light and sometimes closer to the working weight. Other times I'll finish with lunges or some other leg work. I did have a set rutine of accessories but it was too much to do every time.

If I were to follow 531 but only do the required reps then I would still be making progress as each cycle does go up. Maybe thats a good compromise?

Trying to figure out what has changed in the last few months. One thing is that my training partner (my son) has started getting to the gym 15 minutes before me. By the time I get there, straight from work, he has often started lifting (impatient little bugger) I don't take the time to warm up on the row machine and stretch like I used to. Not good.

I do accessories a bit add hoc if I've got something left in the tank. I'll sometimes do 2 or 3 extra sets of squats sometimes light and sometimes closer to the working weight. Other times I'll finish with lunges or some other leg work. I did have a set rutine of accessories but it was too much to do every time.

If I were to follow 531 but only do the required reps then I would still be making progress as each cycle does go up. Maybe thats a good compromise?

Trying to figure out what has changed in the last few months. One thing is that my training partner (my son) has started getting to the gym 15 minutes before me. By the time I get there, straight from work, he has often started lifting (impatient little bugger) I don't take the time to warm up on the row machine and stretch like I used to. Not good.
    Just doing the required reps or stopping a rep or two short of failure and continuing to make slow steady progress is key. Everyone is different when it comes to warm-ups/work ups, do enough to be ready to lift but not so much you inhibit your ability to do the main work set(s). As far as what has changed in a couple months, lots of variables in life, so who knows. The juggling act of balancing intensity and volume changes as you get physically stronger IMO. I know I could do a lot more working reps and overall volume without serious fatigue when my working set weights were closer to 300 than 400. As numbers get bigger there is more CNS fatigue etc, so perhaps you have made some progress and what you were doing before in terms of volume is too much at heavier weights. I don't really know how to explain any better than that. I would try just doing the work sets stopping a rep or two before failure and treat your accessories as accessories and not another "main event". A de-load week could also help, IDK, I don't really do them, but probably should.

GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Probably not the right answer for the question, but I don't do any single joint movements...like at all. Not out of injury or anything, just that I am trying to be more efficient because I have added so much non-lifting stuff lately. At this point I'm pretty much doing squats, Presses, Deads, Cleans, Jerks and Snatches. Everything I do pretty much fits into those categories. I do notice that now that i am over 50 I lift with my wallet a bit more. I have an adductor problem that will never heal so I use support pants when I squat and splurge for, and use the good knee sleeves and wrist wraps. I joke that I add a piece of neoprene, or nylon once every 18 months or so. I figure I'll be lifting in a full body support suit by the time I turn 65.
    Gnomefit...ain't for everybody, only the sexy people.

Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I started squatting at age 53 so I hope I don't have to stop soon.

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have not dropped anything. But, Piper, I respect your decision to find an alternative to an exercise like squats. Nothing wrong with self-preservation.

I still want to see how far I can go and I always think about getting stronger.

Matter of fact, somehow I hurt my sciatic nerve on the right side during squats last week. I will temporarily do Goblet squats and when my back feels better, i will go back to Back squats.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post
    IMO, I don't think age dictates what movements you should drop, but more so injuries, regardless of age.

I am 52, not dropping anything unless of course injury preventing, but as of right now, nothing.
    I know I'm not supposed to be commenting in this thread (per OP), but what you describe is how my stretching routine evolved over the years. In my teens I didn't even bother stretching before lifting or basketball. Then every couple of years I would injure myself or pull a different muscle. So I'd ADD a stretch for that. Then a year or two later, I'd pull something else, and ADD a stretch for that. Now I have a solid 10 minute stretch routine that I do no matter what. So I still stretch my legs even if it's an upper body day, and vice versa. I still do the rotator cuff warmup exercises on a leg day.
    ALL I ASK IS ALL YOU GOT FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES

Nonregistered Nonuser bustermac's Avatar
    bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not quite 50 yet but getting there. After some major joint surgeries (incl 2 hip replacements), I dropped the weight on bench, squats and DLs but have not quit on the lifts. Lifting for self-preservation of joints and flexibility. Coincidently, my abs have never looked better in my life. I'll never quit lifting though.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    After much deliberation and soul-searching, I've decided to step away from Flactoid Extensions.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    After much deliberation and soul-searching, I've decided to step away from Flactoid Extensions.
    I had to look that up. Now I'm sorry.
    -Voltaire

RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    As if starting to get AARP mailings was not bad enough, now we're being called seniors!

I only started lifting earlier this year (only worked with machines in gyms a long time ago), and fortunately have no problems with any of the important exercises. The only lift I really stopped doing were upright rows. I did them for a while after a trainer showed them to me, but they were causing me some elbow discomfort. And then I read that they can be somewhat risky to shoulder health, so it just didn't seem worth it.

Squats are the most difficult for me to recover from. I currently squat every 4 days, and it's mostly ok. But once I was badly grinding out one last rep (was close to dropping the bar), and was clearly not back at full strength 4 days later. But as long as I avoid that, I'm fine. It probably helps that I'm not lifting nearly as much yet as most of the people here (currently 195 lbs).

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    As am I; I made my best gainz from that lift. But now that I'm a fossil, I must step away from them.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Seems like you are comparing starting out on a 5x5, GVT and a high % of 1RM (5/3/1) as the only options. You are worried about the top end weight on the 5/3/1, and soreness with limited frequency, and fatigue with high frequency. There are other options other than those programs which may suit you in terms of intensity, frequency, and volume. It seems like a potential programming problem as you have not said the magic "I snapped myself."

If I only do the required 5 or 3 or 1 reps then I'm not really following the program as it's meant to be.
    5/3/1 allows for you to just put up required reps and walk away on any day you want to. You know when you are starting out perhaps running a LP type program the advice not to fiddle with things makes sense. But as people get stronger some form of auto-regulation usually has to be used.

I mean if I lower the weight then I would be able to do more reps on the last set but the end result is the same.
    I guess I'm trying to suggest that the mind set of doing as much as possible every workout seems to be what you are really talking about. And that mindset generally does not work regardless of the movement or program long term. And if squats go away, "As much as possible all the time" won't likely work with the trap bar either. Not that I have any opinion as to whether you squat or not.

IDK OP there are a lot of very strong folks that post on this site and don't get shaky about taking a moderate day under the bar when they need to.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I used to love bb pullovers. Not so much anymore.

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    ..... It seems like a potential programming problem as you have not said the magic "I snapped myself." ........ I guess I'm trying to suggest that the mind set of doing as much as possible every workout seems to be what you are really talking about.
    When you talk I listen so much appreciated your input here man :-) God forbit I come to the point where something snaps before making a change. I thought I had mentioned in my OP that I had/have a nagging lower back pain and this was also a reason to leave squats for a while although it happened on OHP. It's not bad and is worse in the mornings and eases up as the day goes on. That's better than if it were the other way round at least :-)

I have landed on the following leg workout:

Paused back squats at 60-70% 3 sets but have not worked out the volume yet.
    Deficit trap bar squats in the 531 format
    Leg press. Sets working up to a final set with a goal of 8 reps and when I reach that goal add 10 lbs.

That's it. No fluff. After doing this on friday my legs were shaking when I was getting changed in the locker room. Now sunday and I feel a nice soreness in glutes, hams and quads telling me I worked those muscles.

Surely this can't be a hopeless workout.

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post

lol me too
    365 255 480 in April! ...2019
    ☻/
    /β–Œ
    / \ sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I dont see any need to stop doing anything.

i have tapered off on sqiauts lately because I broke my ankle and its just a long slog to get it pain free again but had I not then i would be squatting. soon as its healed u right I will be doing them again.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda