Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 LastLast
    Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Anyone here run their course on this program (not the full body)/what new routine did you move on to?

If Viking is still around I’d love some insight.
    Last edited by Xpiro; 11-30-2019 at 11:20 PM.

Xenjura is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Going to try the U/L/P/P/L routine , this one seems to suit me since i have free time

Zepha will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zepha will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zepha will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zepha will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zepha will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zepha will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zepha will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zepha will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zepha will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zepha will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zepha will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    With the full body routine do i follow it as stated every week, or swap day 2 for day 1?

Bit confused as i seen most other full body routines you alternate between which workout is done twice a week?

Zepha will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zepha will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zepha will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zepha will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zepha will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zepha will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zepha will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zepha will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zepha will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zepha will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zepha will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If I'm already benching my bodyweight, 90kg, for 6 reps x 3, is the full body routine suitable for me or not?

Registered User user84844UVTUED's Avatar
    user84844UVTUED is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am recently back into lifting and this program has got me onto a good path.

I am doing the 4 day split and it leaves me completely smashed at the end of each workout.

Thanks for sharing.

Denis12341 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Denis12341 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Denis12341 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Denis12341 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Denis12341 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Denis12341 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Denis12341 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Denis12341 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Denis12341 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Denis12341 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Denis12341 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by calvilloIsGod View Post
    Question;

Barbell Curl/Skullcrushers - 3 sets each - 30 reps each

Does that mean both have to be included in the workout, or it's optional/to the discretion of the one who uses the program?
    Men you do both

dlent17 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Exclamation Viking Bare bones exercise substitute?

Sorry if this has been answered, but can you substitute incline dB press with barbell incline or would that be too much heavy work on Vikings 2nd day workout?

Seanbroadie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Seanbroadie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Seanbroadie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have been following this program for a while now, roughly a year. A few months ago, due to time restraints, i dropped one set in each of the exercises. For example with bench press, instead of doing 4 sets and aiming for 32 reps, i have been doing 3 sets and aiming for 24 reps. In my experience, I have been making just as much progress doing less sets, while shaving about 20-25 minutes off each workout. Obviously this is just anecdotal and only my experience, but I have seen a few people in this thread concerned with the time it takes to get through the workouts, so I wanted to share this. I have been doing PPLUL.

TigerZero is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Seanbroadie View Post
    I have been following this program for a while now, roughly a year. A few months ago, due to time restraints, i dropped one set in each of the exercises. For example with bench press, instead of doing 4 sets and aiming for 32 reps, i have been doing 3 sets and aiming for 24 reps. In my experience, I have been making just as much progress doing less sets, while shaving about 20-25 minutes off each workout. Obviously this is just anecdotal and only my experience, but I have seen a few people in this thread concerned with the time it takes to get through the workouts, so I wanted to share this. I have been doing PPLUL.

I haven't been following it that long but I can say even after doing a a set here or there because of time. The results are still up there. I think once you hit 60% on intensity and have songs 12 to 15 sets for a body or week. With a 6 to 8 rep range is gonna be hard not to grow. Unless your eating zebra cakes and mountain dew all day and nothing else

rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Shardoenaj View Post
    Is there a reason that in the FULL BODY day 1 and day 3 is extremely similar (only difference is the leg curl), while day 2 has a much different focus?
    Bump.

I started the routine this week as a comeback to training after COVID-19 pause and I found Day 2 extremely long in comparison to others.

I started with reeeeaally light weights and the workout took longer than 1 hour. I can't imagine how long it would take once weight starts getting heavier.

Anyone willing to share his/her experience?

TigerZero is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    IVE BEEN on it for about 3 months now, i just took a set off of everything and it seems ok. its diiferent from, fierce 5 which i was running before but the recovery from the amount of volume is hard sometimes. ive noticed a little progress on the upper lower. The most important thing is to find enjoyment in what you are doing otherwise you will eventually quit. I kind of sort of enjoy this, but like fierce 5 and really like steve shaws 5x5 powerbuilding program better. Reason why I got this program is because I made strength gains like crazy on the other 2 but wasnt getting bigger muscles. I have notice a little muscle growth on this program, but that contributes to the rep ranges are higher, especially coming from fierce 5

rickyng is just really nice. (+1000) rickyng is just really nice. (+1000) rickyng is just really nice. (+1000) rickyng is just really nice. (+1000) rickyng is just really nice. (+1000) rickyng is just really nice. (+1000) rickyng is just really nice. (+1000) rickyng is just really nice. (+1000) rickyng is just really nice. (+1000) rickyng is just really nice. (+1000) rickyng is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Seanbroadie View Post
    I've been doing that for the squats. Instead of 4 sets I do 3 sets. I also don't do the leg machine workouts like the curls.
    Workout routine: The Viking's The Bare Bones Series -- Upper Lower Split (U,L,U,L)

OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Is anyone else doing this routine at home with only a barbell and dumbbells? Seems like the leg presses, leg curls, pull downs and hack squats don't have very good subs, so not sure if this routine is routine is ideal for home use.
    Last edited by OralB; 08-10-2020 at 07:15 PM.

ZintoZin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZintoZin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZintoZin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZintoZin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZintoZin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZintoZin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZintoZin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by OralB View Post
    Is anyone else doing this routine at home with only a barbell and dumbbells? Seems like the leg presses, leg curls, pull downs and hack squats don't have very good subs, so not sure if this routine is routine is ideal for home use.
    Hi there. Im currently running this program Full body version with dumbbell and barbell. But i got pulley bought it online, and able to do pulldown, facepull exercise.

For leg press, leg curl sometime i just do lunges or step up, or skip. My bad.

Registered User YouMustBeJoking's Avatar
    YouMustBeJoking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Does anyone still look at this thread? I was really excited to try his ULPPL since gyms are now reopening and he says it's geared for beginners. I f*cked around on PPL for 4 years because I was trying to cut the whole time. Wasted time, barely progressed, spun my wheels I know, so I'd still consider myself a beginner. Let myself go during quarantine so I'm around 167lbs right now at 5"7, maybe 20% body fat. Hope someone can chime in and answer some questions:

1. Viking adamantly says his routines are not meant for cutting and that one should bulk for a few months on these routines, but given my stats, I am definitely overweight and don't think I can afford to put on more pounds. Is this routine just not for me, or can I at least eat around maintenance? I may have f*cked around but I was consistent enough to know my maintenance is around 2900.

2. Can I even afford to bulk a little? My lifts barely progressed during the last 4 years so I'm def still in the beginner phase, and for me to utilize this program to its full potential, I need to bulk like Viking says.

3. If I should cut, what program is right for me then? Obviously I think you can cut on any program, but that means I won't be progressing on any lifts again.

I'm 21 now. I wish I found this thread 4 years ago when I was just 17. Wonder how different things would have been

Location: Lincolnshire, England, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by YouMustBeJoking View Post
    Does anyone still look at this thread? I was really excited to try his ULPPL since gyms are now reopening and he says it's geared for beginners. I f*cked around on PPL for 4 years because I was trying to cut the whole time. Wasted time, barely progressed, spun my wheels I know, so I'd still consider myself a beginner. Let myself go during quarantine so I'm around 167lbs right now at 5"7, maybe 20% body fat. Hope someone can chime in and answer some questions:

1. Viking adamantly says his routines are not meant for cutting and that one should bulk for a few months on these routines, but given my stats, I am definitely overweight and don't think I can afford to put on more pounds. Is this routine just not for me, or can I at least eat around maintenance? I may have f*cked around but I was consistent enough to know my maintenance is around 2900.

2. Can I even afford to bulk a little? My lifts barely progressed during the last 4 years so I'm def still in the beginner phase, and for me to utilize this program to its full potential, I need to bulk like Viking says.

3. If I should cut, what program is right for me then? Obviously I think you can cut on any program, but that means I won't be progressing on any lifts again.

I'm 21 now. I wish I found this thread 4 years ago when I was just 17. Wonder how different things would have been
    I’d do fierce 5 upper/lower if I were you. Or if you really want to do Vikings then start with the 3 day full body. This program is very high volume, the ULPPL is not ideal for a beginner, ESPECIALLY if you want to cut some fat first.

What are your lifts like for bench OHP squat and bb row?
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer."

Registered User YouMustBeJoking's Avatar
    YouMustBeJoking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TonedJordan View Post
    I’d do fierce 5 upper/lower if I were you. Or if you really want to do Vikings then start with the 3 day full body. This program is very high volume, the ULPPL is not ideal for a beginner, ESPECIALLY if you want to cut some fat first.

What are your lifts like for bench OHP squat and bb row?
    You think so? I'm sure he stated all his routines are for beginners and you can run whichever fits your schedule or your desire, and I'd prefer a 5-day than full-body. Even Viking himself said that the 3-day full body might get tougher as you move into intermediate territory, but I'll definitely have a look at Fierce 5.

I screwed around like not doing BB bench because I preferred DB bench, sometimes didn't feel like doing OHP, substituting front squat because I liked it better, barely deadlifted, but when I did them properly, my 5 rep maxes were:

Bench - 165lbs 3x5 (but I could DB 85lbs pre-Corona)
    OHP - 135lbs 3x5
    Back Squat - 245lbs 3x5
    BB row - 165lbs 3x5 (barely went heavy)
    Deadlift - 315lbs x 2

My lifts are obviously crap and again I screwed around with the routine and my diet a lot (yoyo/crash dieted way too much, wasn't consistent going to the gym) so I never really properly progressed.

edit: got my years wrong. I was on and off PPL for 2.5 years (2017 to March 2020), not 4 as previously mentioned
    Last edited by YouMustBeJoking; 09-02-2020 at 12:05 PM.

PoppyLifter is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question

I’ve been following the The Upper/Lower/Pull/Push/Legs Split for about 2 months now, but I had a question. I’m not sure if anyone has asked this already (went through the first 10 pages only). If I hit the rep goal on one of the days, does that mean I bump up the weight on other days that I do the same exercise too?

Example: if I hit my rep goal for skullcrushers on upper day, does that mean my weight goes up on upper day and push day?

I’ve noticed that on some days it’s easier to hit the rep goal, but on another day the same exercise is harder to hit that same rep goal number.

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by PoppyLifter View Post
    I’ve been following the The Upper/Lower/Pull/Push/Legs Split for about 2 months now, but I had a question. I’m not sure if anyone has asked this already (went through the first 10 pages only). If I hit the rep goal on one of the days, does that mean I bump up the weight on other days that I do the same exercise too?

Example: if I hit my rep goal for skullcrushers on upper day, does that mean my weight goes up on upper day and push day?

I’ve noticed that on some days it’s easier to hit the rep goal, but on another day the same exercise is harder to hit that same rep goal number.
    Yes, bump weight for all days.
    It's harder on different days because of different levels of fatigue. You could try the ULUL if the ULPPL is too much.
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

PoppyLifter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    Yes, bump weight for all days.
    It's harder on different days because of different levels of fatigue. You could try the ULUL if the ULPPL is too much.
    Sorry for the late reply. I saw this right away, but I forgot to answer. Thanks for the help! I was thinking the same thing but I wanted to make sure I was doing it right. Thanks!!

Zschnack87 is just really nice. (+1000) Zschnack87 is just really nice. (+1000) Zschnack87 is just really nice. (+1000) Zschnack87 is just really nice. (+1000) Zschnack87 is just really nice. (+1000) Zschnack87 is just really nice. (+1000) Zschnack87 is just really nice. (+1000) Zschnack87 is just really nice. (+1000) Zschnack87 is just really nice. (+1000) Zschnack87 is just really nice. (+1000) Zschnack87 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I work a goofy work schedule.. Two days on, two days off, three days on, two days off, three days off.. then it starts over. I also work swing shifts and 12 hour shifts. I really like the layout of this workout.. would you recommend the first upper/lower body split for my work schedule?
    Progress, not perfection. One day at a time.

Current Workout Program: Upper / Low

Current Supplements: Redcon1's Grunt, Total War, and Big Noise. Dymatize Fruity Pebbles. Fish Oil and Walmart Brand Multi-Vitamin.

Part-Time Manager of a Small Town Gym!

JustsayGabriel is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just started doing the full body!

What a killer, but in a good way :-)

I have a rack at home, so I can do everything apart from leg curls and leg presses

My stats for today (bars are always included in the weight):

Back squat: 110kg x 31 reps
    Bench Press: 74kg x 25 reps (might do a small increase since i hit the 25rep target but not sure)
    Barbell row: 74kg x 24 reps
    BB Romanian deadlift (subbed from leg curl): 70kg x 28 reps
    BB Military press: 24kg x 21reps (26kg next time!)
    Wide grip pulldowns: 54kg x 31reps (56kg next time)
    Abs: Now I did Russian twists with a 20kg plate, but I'm not sure if another exercise is better. (Hanging legraise?) 35reps (each side) with 25kg plate.
    Calve raises: 80kg x 45reps (85kg next time)

I subbed leg curl for BB Romanian deadlift and on wednesday I'll do lunges instead of leg press. Are those good subs? All the rest I can do as Viking wrote.

The self regulation feels good! I know it'll make me motivated :-) Thanks for the program!

Edit: why does it say i'm 50y old I changed that setting with it won't alter it.... Sad stuff.

Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Bumping this thread, not sure if Viking is still active these days on here...but I got around to running the "Bare Bones" full body routine and like it a real lot and find it to be a welcoming challenge with a nice break in the typical set/rep volume and it balancing everything out, I appreciate you writing it and contributing it for free.

The only movement I landed up replacing (since I workout at home) was leg press which I utilize my belt squat attachment in its place instead and I prefer pull ups so I do those instead of lat pulldowns on Day A and C (even though I have a lat machine in my space as well, but use it for the other prescribed movements on Day B).

If I had to nitpick one thing it would be nice to have dips in the routine along with skullcrushers (simply because I like dips as well) but I understand why it isn't to avoid imbalances and no routine is gonna be perfect, but this one is close enough and very well thought out.

Merry Christmas in advance to the lifting community.
    Last edited by Deep-Voiced-One; 12-22-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I kind of want to run the ULPPL (which I’ve been on for about 6 months) as a PPL, but I wonder if doubling everything would accumulate too much fatigue given the already high volume. Changes to the program are discouraged, I know, but it would sort of be like an entirely new program... just utilizing the same exercises. Or maybe even some variations. OR simply shorter pull/pull days by nixing a couple of compounds i.e. no close grip pulldowns (pullups for me) on 1 pull and no incline DB press on 1 push. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Xpiro; 12-29-2020 at 08:12 PM.

marcv68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Just started this

Loving this so far, nice switch from the normal stuff. Will keep plugging away

davejh77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) davejh77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) davejh77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) davejh77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) davejh77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) davejh77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) davejh77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) davejh77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) davejh77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) davejh77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) davejh77 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Can I just ask some advice?

I have just started following the Upper/Lower/Pull/Push/Legs split. My current gym doesn't have a hack squat machine - what else could I sub that for? I did lower yesterday so swapped it out for the leg extension machine. Are front squats another option?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by davejh77 View Post
    Can I just ask some advice?

I have just started following the Upper/Lower/Pull/Push/Legs split. My current gym doesn't have a hack squat machine - what else could I sub that for? I did lower yesterday so swapped it out for the leg extension machine. Are front squats another option?

Thanks.
    Nor does mine so I’ve always done barbell hack squats.

Zelengorov93 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Advice

Can someone please help me? By doing the compounds twice a week, do you go for strength on the upper/lower workouts, and for hypertrophy with more reps and lighter weight on the ppl days, or you just go for strength on all of the workouts?

VonMaterhorn is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Replacing Incline DB press at home gym

Couldn't find a straight forward answer for those two:

What can be a good substitute to the Incline DB press of Upper 1 split?

When it comes to DBs, my home gym only has them up to 20 kg, which I'm already using. Getting more weights is not an option at the moment.

Also, can one leg press machine be subed with barbell Bulgarian squat?

Other than those two exercise, I can do all the rest of the routine at this home gym.

Thanks!

freshsats is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Late but INNN

Done the first 3 days of the 4 day U/L split, and loving it so far. Also really like the idea of combining U/L and PPL for a 5 day split, going to hop on that when I have more time in the future.

Thanks for sharing