MuayB96 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Load progression really needed for hypertrophy?

As hypertrophy happens in a broad rep range, 6-30 reps, taken close to failure. How important is short term load progression for growth? Couldn't you ride out a load for a pretty long time and still be stimulating growth?

Or basically start at 10 reps, and add reps over time all the way to 30 reps, taken close to failure, then you add weight. This is an extreme example, but in theory should promote muscle growth.

coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yup
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It's not close to failure, it's to failure, otherwise you are not training hard enough and this will not stimulate any hyperthrophy regardless of how much you eat (you'll just get fat)
    John 3:16

Natty for life
    Red for life
    I'm not really 50, I'm 44, idk how to change the age
    Autism crew (Asperger's syndrome)
    High test crew
    Bald crew
    MAGA crew
    Guys stop making me green! I actually enjoy being red! It's more alpha!
    Born again Christian crew
    Heavy metal crew

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes. You can’t around the fact that in order get bigger and stronger you will have use more weight.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't know, man, Mike Israetel and his guys leave at least 4-5 reps in the tank and they are huge. How so? (joke)

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by superman704 View Post
    It's not close to failure, it's to failure, otherwise you are not training hard enough and this will not stimulate any hyperthrophy regardless of how much you eat (you'll just get fat)
    Not true, as demonstrated by real people doing lifting in controlled conditions.

OP: it has to happen sooner or later because bigger muscles are stronger all else being equal. You could for example, progress number of reps per set for some time before taking a load increase though.

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In theory you are correct in that you can just keep going up on reps for awhile. One of the issues with this is that cardiovascular conditioning/discomfort become limiting factors rather than actual muscular strength. If/when you get to that point then it is likely time to increase the load.

MuayB96 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks everyone.

I mean of course in the long term, load progression needs to happen, or things will get too light to be stimulative enough. I just remember when i started lifting, a lot of the programs that was recommended for hypertrophy had so much focus on driving load up, like 5/3/1 and so on.

Like the old view was, the action of adding weight to the bar got you bigger, but the newer look at it is more an observation then an action, and meeting the required stimulus is what drives hypertrophy and performance increases.

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MuayB96 View Post
    Thanks everyone.

I mean of course in the long term, load progression needs to happen, or things will get too light to be stimulative enough. I just remember when i started lifting, a lot of the programs that was recommended for hypertrophy had so much focus on driving load up, like 5/3/1 and so on.

Like the old view was, the action of adding weight to the bar got you bigger, but the newer look at it is more an observation then an action, and meeting the required stimulus is what drives hypertrophy and performance increases.
    I think that had more to do with n00b cns sucks, and after 4-5 reps, form turned to crap. So a 15 rep set, the last 5 would be crap, and you would start getting injuries. And the name of the game is how long you can go uninjured.

coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    I don't know, man, Mike Israetel and his guys leave at least 4-5 reps in the tank and they are huge. How so? (joke)

How? Heavy weights, multiple sets, volume.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Originally Posted by MuayB96 View Post
    Thanks everyone.

Old views? New views?

Nah, OVERLOAD has always been viewed the same…add reps , add weight, add sets, reduce rest…increase frequency, time under tension, volume…..overload and metabolic stress can be accomplished several ways.

Ever hear of “restricted blood flow training?” Yet another way that has been studied to create responses from muscles.