Need Help? Customer Support 1-866-236-8417
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22
    Powered by Reese's Puffs anandagirl's Avatar
    anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tina722 View Post
    so outside of cutting to a lower weight class is there a time when cutting is appropriate in your opinion..... :P
    When your clothes are tight and your doctor scolds you

^^^Me Saturday
    Proud member of Team Ogre. That's Ms. Ogre to you! ;)

IG: anandagirl
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/therealanandagirl
    Cutting Flexible Dieting... oh never mind. Food Diary: www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/dipitie
    Accountability Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171177361

lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Your meet is coming up fast, AJ. Those are some huge increases over the last few years for the lifts. Really nice job there.

ooooo excited to see the bulk. Weight gain makes it easier to see the bench increases. Have you thought about programming for bench after the meet?

5'3" here and I've been inching towards walking around at 140 over the last few years. I don't know that with my height, any heavier would be very helpful. I would be curious to hear any opinions though. I'm getting better at handling the bloat and the mental game of seeing the numbers increase. I can see the advantage of constantly eating in a surplus...but it can be hard to do consistently.
    Thanks Tina! The mental part of bulking can definitely be tough. I was a bridesmaid at my friend's wedding when I was at my heaviest - imo I just look fat in the pictures lol. Hopefully next time I bulk I'll keep my bf down and "look like I lift".

As far as your weight and your height, I can't really say. I was reading ProYeo's diet/bulk thread the other day (on the main page of female bb) and i think she gained like 30 pounds between two shows, to add 10 pounds of muscle, at somewhere closer to your height. Maybe check out that thread? I know that personally I would really like to have another 10 pounds of muscle, but the thought of going up to 190 in order to do it is...whoa! Haha.

Training related: The one bench variant that I have definitely made progress on this training cycle is incline bench. It's a lift I have always neglected, partially because (like you) I'm not very good at it. For me, I fail it unexpectedly and catastrophically, so working with a spotter is a must. This cycle I've been getting to lower rep ranges than I ever have on my own (did doubles yesterday), and honestly I think that's really helpful. I used to do 45 degrees, but this cycle I've been doing 30. I love db incline also, but the risk of shoulder injury from getting the db's in place is much higher than the risk of injury when using a bar, so I always stay lighter on those and just use long pauses in order to make them harder.

As far as post-meet programming, I definitely want to keep a strong focus on incline in my next training cycle - I am dreaming of the day when I can do 110 pounds, so I can use the yellow 15kg plates lol. But the main thing i want to do differently (that I have never really done) is to find a bench partner to work with, and incorporate more so-called bro benching. When the weight is heavy I fall apart and push the bar in the wrong direction. I suspect that having a spotter who keeps their hands on the bar enough to keep it in the groove might be really helpful? Who knows. I also LOVE doing board presses, so I will definitely do more of those next cycle. My weak point is (and will probably always be) off the chest, so I will probably also incorporate buffalo bar and/or McDonald bar. The other part of my benching problem is psychological. I'm super used to failing competition-style benches. I think it's probably ok to go to failure, but I want to start failing variations instead of competition style. The last thing is some technique changes. I basically always do a tshirt press, where I put none of the bar's weight on my chest at the bottom. This is partially a mobility issue, because in order to get my arms low enough to take weight off the bar at my current touch point, I have to lose tightness. I want to experiment with touching lower and letting my body support more of the weight at the bottom.

Lol sorry to hijack your journal with my plans!!! But those are my thoughts...
    If you like to deadlift, we'll get along great!

Workout journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165955841

bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    How do you feel the incline has helped your competition bench?
    Squat: 1,040
    Bench: 700
    Deadlift: 700
    Best raw
    Squat: 720
    Bench: 457
    Deadlift: 672
    Competitive Strongman and Olympic lifter
    "Never tell me what you won't do, show me that you can't"

insta: the_ogre_compound

youtube: youtube.com/channel/UC7gmzBDjWAE7kpUoSPSXXZQ

lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by bigwade800 View Post
    How do you feel the incline has helped your competition bench?
    Hah it's too early to say that they've helped my comp bench - but I've definitely been getting better at inclines!

One of the ways I fail on bench is that I push the bar straight up, or up and away from my head. I know that when I push the bar up and back immediately off the chest, reps feel a lot easier. I think the "back" part of up and back requires front delt engagement, and inclines use more delts than flat bench. Therefore, I would expect to get some carryover due to my specific struggles on the bench. But, have yet to evaluate this theory.

bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    when is your meet and when did you last take a heavy single at 90% or above?
    Squat: 1,040
    Bench: 700
    Deadlift: 700
    Best raw
    Squat: 720
    Bench: 457
    Deadlift: 672
    Competitive Strongman and Olympic lifter
    "Never tell me what you won't do, show me that you can't"

insta: the_ogre_compound

youtube: youtube.com/channel/UC7gmzBDjWAE7kpUoSPSXXZQ

tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by lazyaj View Post
    Thanks Tina! The mental part of bulking can definitely be tough. I was a bridesmaid at my friend's wedding when I was at my heaviest - imo I just look fat in the pictures lol. Hopefully next time I bulk I'll keep my bf down and "look like I lift".

As far as your weight and your height, I can't really say. I was reading ProYeo's diet/bulk thread the other day (on the main page of female bb) and i think she gained like 30 pounds between two shows, to add 10 pounds of muscle, at somewhere closer to your height. Maybe check out that thread? I know that personally I would really like to have another 10 pounds of muscle, but the thought of going up to 190 in order to do it is...whoa! Haha.
    I saw the thread. I'm flattered to be referenced towards ProYeo, but I probably end my cut where she ends her bulk, lol. She did go up to 140 or so, which is nice to see. I think the lower bf would be advantageous for better muscle/fat proportion gains, but I have no motivation to get that low, or diet that long. I really only have a 10-ish pound weight range over the last few years, but it's been easy to maintain or do small diets. I don't think I could actually compete/train for long at under 130. It looks like a lot of females my height are in this weight range - competing in the 57 or 63. 63 would give me quite a bit of room to gain I suppose just pushing to keep eating is the best course for me. I have started thinking about tracking a bit as a result of this conversation. I have been working at getting more carbs in the last few months - which is against my natural tastes. Tracking and being a bit more dedicated might be fun, especially since the next 6weeks I will have some heavier squats and heavy deads. We will see if my bench can be maintained at least.

well... if you start with 175, then 180 isn't to far away, so another year or two and you might want 190. I wonder, if since you did Ed Coan with lighter volume, you would really respond to a higher volume cycle now.

Training related: The one bench variant that I have definitely made progress on this training cycle is incline bench. It's a lift I have always neglected, partially because (like you) I'm not very good at it. For me, I fail it unexpectedly and catastrophically, so working with a spotter is a must. This cycle I've been getting to lower rep ranges than I ever have on my own (did doubles yesterday), and honestly I think that's really helpful. I used to do 45 degrees, but this cycle I've been doing 30. I love db incline also, but the risk of shoulder injury from getting the db's in place is much higher than the risk of injury when using a bar, so I always stay lighter on those and just use long pauses in order to make them harder.

As far as post-meet programming, I definitely want to keep a strong focus on incline in my next training cycle - I am dreaming of the day when I can do 110 pounds, so I can use the yellow 15kg plates lol. But the main thing i want to do differently (that I have never really done) is to find a bench partner to work with, and incorporate more so-called bro benching. When the weight is heavy I fall apart and push the bar in the wrong direction. I suspect that having a spotter who keeps their hands on the bar enough to keep it in the groove might be really helpful? Who knows. I also LOVE doing board presses, so I will definitely do more of those next cycle. My weak point is (and will probably always be) off the chest, so I will probably also incorporate buffalo bar and/or McDonald bar. The other part of my benching problem is psychological. I'm super used to failing competition-style benches. I think it's probably ok to go to failure, but I want to start failing variations instead of competition style. The last thing is some technique changes. I basically always do a tshirt press, where I put none of the bar's weight on my chest at the bottom. This is partially a mobility issue, because in order to get my arms low enough to take weight off the bar at my current touch point, I have to lose tightness. I want to experiment with touching lower and letting my body support more of the weight at the bottom.

Lol sorry to hijack your journal with my plans!!! But those are my thoughts...

I like hearing your thoughts. I am curious to see what happens with BB incline for me. My experience with DB is similar - very easy to strain my shoulders. I did DUP programming for nearly two years with very little overhead work, and my shoulders were the healthiest they've ever been, but the last few months have really shown how weak I am at the overhead presses.

Do you plan to work on mobility or are you going to alter your technique to be able to touch lower?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172554141

tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by gobbles23 View Post
    Awesome job with the CGBP That's sick lol

I hear you on the gaining! My goal is more muscle as well, but at 5'4 and 142 I was losing definition and just not feeling the best about myself. I'm sure bulking to 150-160 would be advantageous when it comes to strength and size. It all comes down to what you're comfortable with. I was debating between a month or two at maintenance to level it all out and tighten up but decided a quick cut would be better for me. Then bulking again

Thanks! It didn't really hit me until later that night that I had actually done 130 for multiple reps/sets. Progress!

Agreed. Sounds like you are right in the weight range too. 142 sounds like a great end for your bulk...I'll bet even 5-7lb drop will leave you pretty lean. You might feel more comfortable with 145-150 next time

Originally Posted by bigwade800 View Post
    when is your meet and when did you last take a heavy single at 90% or above?
    Meet is 11/11, so just under two weeks. Recent training:

3 months ago, 89% x4 paused (iffy form)
    3 weeks ago, 89%x2x3 tng
    2 weeks ago, 93%x2x3 tng
    1 week ago, 96%x2, x1.75 tng
    two days ago, 100%x1 RPE10, x1 RPE 10 but cleaner, both tng, plus some singles to 2 board and 1 board

The program has one more heavy workout, where I'm supposed to do 107% for two singles. I'll probably do it to a 2 board and then a 1 board. I would be (happily) surprised if I could get it for a single off the chest. I may also just do 103% instead since it's less unrealistic.

I was doing all the reps paused up through 85%, but given the choice between pausing and having a chance to make the planned reps, I gave up pausing. I have a slow descent and never bounce the bar so my tng and paused bench aren't super different, in principle.

Do you plan to work on mobility or are you going to alter your technique to be able to touch lower?
    I'm not sure yet. Probably going to shift to touching lower, and then adjust grip if needed. I know that for overhead pressing, I wasted a lot of time and energy trying to touch my clavicles at the bottom because that's how you're "supposed" to do it. Except, I have long forearms and my natural bottom position leaves the bar two inches off my chest. If I touch my chest with the bar, it means I had to relax and also let my elbows swing behind the bar. What a disaster! There are so many one-size-fits-all form "rules" that people have, that are really a disservice to regular people with real bodies!

gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks! It didn't really hit me until later that night that I had actually done 130 for multiple reps/sets. Progress!

Agreed. Sounds like you are right in the weight range too. 142 sounds like a great end for your bulk...I'll bet even 5-7lb drop will leave you pretty lean. You might feel more comfortable with 145-150 next time
    Insane progress, lol, you're strength is super motivating!!!

I do feel learner already lol, I haven't even outgrown my pants this bulk and they're already getting looser hahaha. I'll be back on the gain train when I hit 135 I'd say Then up 155 for sure, slowly. Going to control it this time for a solid year.
    Team Cookies Give You Superpowers

Current Journal: Adventure Time with Turkey
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170094463&p=1489770341#post1489770341

My Super Awesome SNS log- Lori Battles the Holiday Pudge (Finished):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140145363&page=2

"She's not overtraining- she just trains stupid" -Kimm4

20171031 c3w31 squats

Leg extensions and treadmill to warmup

BS
    Bar, 95, 135xsome
    185x2
    205x2
    210x2x5

Paused
    165x3x3

Close/high
    165x6x3

Wide
    95x10x2

https://youtu.be/EI2_IpzTFhA

Reverse lunges, hack squats, leg curls, calves, abs

The weights are still easy-ish, although feeling heavier. Easy meaning the speed is good and I don’t need a lot of rest between sets – maybe 60-90sec. Form is looking much better – depth is good and heels are staying flatter. Sticking with my new pause squat for a little bit, unless I hear differently.

20171101 c3w31 bench

I did this last night

rear delts to warm up

BP
    bar, 95 xsome
    110x3
    120x6x2
    105x8

SS
    135x3
    155x1
    165x1x2

DBs, pulldowns, 2x5 pullups, curls, flys on the machine

I had gone to a reception earlier in the afternoon, so this was done after a couple glasses of wine. I also got stuck on a narrow/slippery bench, so lost of all of my usual advantages, but still managed to get it all done. 120 was rpe 9, but 105 was 7-8 (no vid though). I had a spot for the slingshot, but I'll need to learn how to set up for a handoff (first single). I barely got the bar off the racks when I did it myself (second single), so neither singles felt great. They still look fast.

https://youtu.be/VEF13kR_9s0

20171102 ssb workout
    up to triple @155

20171104 deadlift
    hip flexor pain started again, so cut severely short.

trap: up to triples @235
    FS: up to triple @155
    DL: up to single @245

20171105 bench #2
    CGBP
    bar, 95 xsome
    115x2
    125x7,6,4
    https://youtu.be/conGR78ZQxA

Pullups
    BWx8,7,5

pulldowns, rows, Incline DB press, DB bench press, curls, abs

Incline bench was taken the whole time I was there, so I did DB incline. SI joint and sciatic nerve is definitely a little inflamed, some trouble bracing or hinging at hips today. CG moved well, 7 reps is a new max at 125. Maybe I'll get 8 reps one of these weeks.

[b]20171106 w32 bench #1[b]

BP
    bar, 95xsome
    110x3
    120x3 vid
    130x3 vid

SS
    145x6x2 set 2 in vid

https://youtu.be/cTp2woWmfBc

Incline DBs
    30s x8x3

Flyes, rows, pulldowns, curls and abs

I could keep my butt down, if I can remember to keep my legs tighter. It's getting better, but not consistent. Stuck with 145 on slingshot because I was on the harder bench. I can go up next time.

20171108 w32 squat

BS
    bar
    135 for more sets then usual to make sure I was warmed up
    185x2 (belt on)
    205x2
    215x2x3

Pause
    185x3x2

Close
    135x6x2

https://youtu.be/rA5zYSrv29I

I did some of their older machines for assistance work in high reps.+ calves+abs. My abs were really tired after the squats though...

Overall I felt form was more consistent immediately from set 1. They moved a little slow maybe, but I was bracing really well - helped to avoid any pain. I had planned to reduce weight for pause squat, since this is a PR, but decided to just try to see if I could. They moved well and I did a second set (video) also. Close stance I did high bar and with light weight to focus on form.

20171111 c3w32 deadlift

I had a flare up of some SI joint point and deadlifts have taken the back seat yet again.

Treadmill and lots of goblet squats to make sure everything is warmed up and mobile

FS- these feel good, did more than normal to keep warming up and practice bracing
    Barx10
    95x10x2
    135x5
    135x8 (belt)
    160x3 (belt, vid)

DL
    135, 185xsome
    235x3 (vid)
    245x2x2 (belt, vid)

https://youtu.be/nsoOutmhiY4

Pain started with the 235, and was not bearable with 245. I had to reset in between each lift because of the pain. Lifts look easy, but also slow and too cautious for how easy it should be.

Did lots of DL at 135, just experimenting with different hip positions and SLDLs. Weight is really just too light to make any real conclusions though.

Did GHR, leg curls and leg extensions as assistance. +abs.

20171112 c3w32 bench #2
    some cgbp and incline bench. Overall an okay day, but sorta bleh with form and actually hitting assigned reps. Looks like we reset for w33.

20171114 c3w33 squat

BS
    bar, 95, 135xsome
    185x3
    205x3
    215x3x3

185x3x3 pause

175x6x3 close/high bar stance

https://youtu.be/izmn8tW2BBE

Weighted GHR, leg extensions, very light hack squats, calves and abs for assistance.

The weight feels good, I'm pretty sure I still have 2-3 good reps left in the working sets @215. Depth is maybe a little iffy (?), especially first set. I was centered too far back maybe, and couldn't get down enough. 185 pause was challenging today, but I got all the sets in.

20171115 c3w33 bench #1

Facepulls and pulldowns to warmup

BP
    bar, 95xsome
    115x2
    125x1
    137.5x1
    142.5x1
    145x1

SS
    145x6x2

DBs
    - I did better at hitting reps today. w/ 15s for 35 and 25s for 25 and 20+

Flys with the 20s DB

Assistance was pulldowns, shrugs, machine rows and curls and abs

https://youtu.be/A8cnOt6O2wc

I think two things made this day harder. My legs were tired, from yesterday and from walking around all day. And I had my feet too far forward. I pulled them back a bit for the slingshot and felt a bit tighter.

I do want the 150 next!

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8a9re6fy.png

Screenshot of the my bench#1 day for the last 33 weeks. Some obvious progress there.

Great lifting as usual! Forever jealous of how smooth your front squats are. But sorry to hear about the SI pain.

I love the screen shot of your spreadsheet. Am I reading it right that you cycle through different rep maxes, so eg once a month you work up to an 8RM and a 1RM ss in the same week? That program looks awesome!

Originally Posted by lazyaj View Post
    Great lifting as usual! Forever jealous of how smooth your front squats are. But sorry to hear about the SI pain.

I love the screen shot of your spreadsheet. Am I reading it right that you cycle through different rep maxes, so eg once a month you work up to an 8RM and a 1RM ss in the same week? That program looks awesome!
    I was assigned 6s for FS today and those were NOT smooth, haha. Yea...the pain sucks. I don't know where it came from - too much sitting and cold weather maybe? I guess I should just count on getting flare ups every once in a while.

And good eye...I need to edit. Those headings are a little misleading. It's not a real rep max, but the top working set for that rep range.

So, we slowly build the 6s and 8s (and single for ss) on one day, and we keep building until it's obvious I'm not making the reps. Another day is building paused 3x3 and 6s for slingshot. eg. Week 2 I hit 95, 105, 115 for paused triples. Week 5 I hit 105, 115, 120. Week 8 I hit 105, 115, and only a single at 125. Week 11 I got a double at 125, but 115 was my top triple. My other notes say I didn't feel great during week 14, so I didn't feel like lifting and basically went in to do a tiny bit of work. So week 17 we reset.

I guess other important info is that May/June I was dieting. Off the top of my head I was 130 in early July and now am 138. Also, some of the info/#s is my 'extra' work that wasn't assigned, so it messes up the program organization a little.

SS #s were pulled back around week 18 I think, because I failed a heavy single with no spot. Wade pulled the numbers back and I'm okay with that :P