quinnhoeppner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quinnhoeppner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quinnhoeppner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quinnhoeppner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

plyometric, balance, functional training for the average program?

I see alot of trainers dont program balance, functional or plyo training in their programs. Are these beneficial for the average middle age client seeking overall health and fitness? For example, what Ive been doing is:
    - Dynamic warm Up
    - Squat, Hip hinge, Upper push, Upper Pull
    - End with a couple functional movements or balance movement and most likely some core except for a couple of my clients.
    Squat: 300 BP: 205 DL: 355

jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    No middle aged, average client should be doing plyometrics. The only minor exception I use are med ball slams, as they aren't stressful on the hips or knees and are great "burners". Maybe burpees, too.

As far as balance training goes, once clients are good at hinging and squatting, I incorporate some single leg hinges/squats. This is about all the balance training they need. Please don't start putting people on BOSU balls.

As far as "functional" training is concerned, everything you are doing with a client should be "functional". Whether it's hinging for hip health, rows for shoulder health, face pulls for posture, core stability for low back health, or med ball slams/burpees for burning calories. Don't start putting people on BOSU balls and have them do single leg RDL's. That's not functional, that's stupid.

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by quinnhoeppner View Post
    I see alot of trainers dont program balance, functional or plyo training in their programs. Are these beneficial for the average middle age client seeking overall health and fitness? For example, what Ive been doing is:
    - Dynamic warm Up
    - End with a couple functional movements or balance movement and most likely some core except for a couple of my clients.
    You shouldnt do high intensity plyos unless ones bench is 1.5x weight and a dbl bw squat. if there bw is over 220 lbs, its a 1x bw bench and a 1.5lb bw squat

quinnhoeppner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quinnhoeppner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quinnhoeppner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quinnhoeppner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Okay so this about exactly how I train at the moment I was just reading up on some stuff and was curious if people do more of it but sounds like I'm on the right track. Thanks for the help!
    Squat: 300 BP: 205 DL: 355

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just make them strong. Once they're strong they can fck around with that other nonsense. And it is nonsense, by the way - it's never been shown to make any difference except in complete noobs.

EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Balance, yes...

As i've gotten "older" and more experienced i've found I don't have people do nearly as much "cardio" as I did starting out. Clients think they need to be out of breath and sweaty and often theres not much point. 5x10 squats can accomplish that well enough with 90 seconds rest in between.

I do have a personal records board that has some burpee, sled push, concept 2 benchmarks on there but outside of that I don't really do a lot of cardio stuff

Balance I do incorporate for some people but honestly, with MOST people I find there balance isn't really off they just don't pay attention. They don't keep tight, they don't keep their head still, they just aren't really thinking about the movement. Sometimes it may appear people have ****ty balance but in reality they're just talking and not paying attention.

Same thing with squats and deads....I have clients that can do pretty well with bracing and maintaining posture but become easily distracted and things get unraveled. Some people just need constant reminders to pay attention.

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by quinnhoeppner View Post
    - Dynamic warm Up
    There is a reason most do not do 'program balance'.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.