Quinndaigle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation The Curve Treadmill - actual calorie count

While running on the Curve treadmill, The calorie count seems to climb incredibly fast. It seemed a little suspicious, so i did some research. The finding were interesting. Yes, the Curve does burn more calories than a treadmill, but it over counts the number of calories burned by 1.7-2.2 times. So for all you people counting calories you may want to divide the calorie count on the curve in half! Personally i think its pretty ****ty of the company to do, and it provides misleading information.

Comment with thoughts and opinions.

I am unable to post the link, because i'm a new member. if you would like to see the study for yourself, Google "Evaluation of energy expenditure on the Woodway curve treadmill" and you should be able to find it from there.

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nothing new here, calorie counting devices built into aerobic exercise equipment are notoriously inaccurate.

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    how can something be that accurate when different people use differing amounts of calories to do the same work?

some of the few accurate methods i know of involve measuring co2/nitrogen waste or by oxygen consumption.
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

formanet1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    curve treadmill is really hard to do excise.

melswilliams44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just joined a gym and had never seen this machine before so gave it a try - 10 min and it was 300 calories. I'm a 5'7 145 female - there's no way. I looked up the study. In short: "The Curve is advertised as allowing participants to expend 30% more Calories while walking than a conventional treadmill when speed is kept constant across conditions. This claim is backed by insufficient evidence."

"Sound research has not been conducted comparing Caloric expenditure at submaximal walking speeds between the Curve and a motorized treadmill."

Originally Posted by Quinndaigle View Post
    While running on the Curve treadmill, The calorie count seems to climb incredibly fast. It seemed a little suspicious, so i did some research. The finding were interesting. Yes, the Curve does burn more calories than a treadmill, but it over counts the number of calories burned by 1.7-2.2 times. So for all you people counting calories you may want to divide the calorie count on the curve in half! Personally i think its pretty ****ty of the company to do, and it provides misleading information.

I am unable to post the link, because i'm a new member. if you would like to see the study for yourself, Google "Evaluation of energy expenditure on the Woodway curve treadmill" and you should be able to find it from there.

ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The curve treadmill is a cool concept, and with no motor driving you you should burn more calories. But for calorie count to be semi accurate it needs a ton of info to figure it out. Any treadmill or cardio product is simply guessing calorie burn to utilize as a reference.

It looks like more company's (besides Woodway) are making curve treadmills now too.

inside the box thinker CliveWarren's Avatar
    CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I find calorie displays to be helpful. Sure, they aren't accurate in an objective sense but that's beside the point. If you use the same machine twice and the second time the console displays you burned more calories, it's indicating you did more work. What's not useful in knowing that?

What you can't do is compare calories from one machine to the next.

I like to compare the calories my HRM watch calculates vs what the bike or rower states. Predictably, the watch is a higher number than the machine. After a bit of training, I will see the two numbers start to converge. HRM calories down (a function of HR) and bike calories up (a function of increased power). Clearly my body is becoming more "efficient".
    Clive, you're a good guy. - AttyGuy

()---() York Barbell Club #62 (DD) ()---()
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #67 ▪█─────█▪

RunWithForrest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RunWithForrest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RunWithForrest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RunWithForrest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RunWithForrest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RunWithForrest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RunWithForrest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RunWithForrest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RunWithForrest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RunWithForrest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RunWithForrest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Quinndaigle View Post

Just curious about the curve treadmill, is it easier on your knees that a regular treadmill? A tougher workout? Never heard of this before so I'm just wondering some details if you wouldn't mind.

ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It appears the Curve treadmill is making a come back from the original Woodway model. Precor and LifeCore are releasing there own versions as well in the next month or two.

The idea behind it "burning more calories" is the user is powering the unit rather than keeping up with a motorized unit. I guess you could say its a tougher workout, but in reality its up to you and how you use it.

The curve concept is simple, would be easier on your knees than running outside like most treadmills, but i am not sure if the curve will effect ankles differently.