ontclone is a name known to all. (+5000) ontclone is a name known to all. (+5000) ontclone is a name known to all. (+5000) ontclone is a name known to all. (+5000) ontclone is a name known to all. (+5000) ontclone is a name known to all. (+5000) ontclone is a name known to all. (+5000) ontclone is a name known to all. (+5000) ontclone is a name known to all. (+5000) ontclone is a name known to all. (+5000) ontclone is a name known to all. (+5000)

thoughts about meal timing?

so i always thought meal timing / frequency was irrelevant but this new advance nutrition book is saying otherwise. main points i took away from the studies they did in the text book. also, this book is referring to athletes if that matters at all.

reason why meal frequency matters:

- delayed eating = a drop in blood sugar which then alanine( amino acid) is recruited from muscle and turned into glucose to keep blood sugar normal

-low blood sugar and large meals = hyperinsulinemia, which encourage fat manufacturing... higher insulin rate/ sensitivity

- smaller meals = less GI discomfort and maybe better absorption

- lower anaerobic power and endurance

- Lower thermogenesis ( slower metabolic rate) and worse fat utilization

-thermic effect on food is higher in frequent meals

- leptin level are higher( leptin released by fat cells) hormone associated with greater fat mass production

thoughts? not sure what to think
    GAINS, GAINS, More GAINS

pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000)
    If I eat high protein in the morning, I won't get cravings.

ontclone is a name known to all. (+5000) ontclone is a name known to all. (+5000) ontclone is a name known to all. (+5000) ontclone is a name known to all. (+5000) ontclone is a name known to all. (+5000) ontclone is a name known to all. (+5000) ontclone is a name known to all. (+5000) ontclone is a name known to all. (+5000) ontclone is a name known to all. (+5000) ontclone is a name known to all. (+5000) ontclone is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by pondman View Post
    If I eat high protein in the morning, I won't get cravings.
    in real life i noticed that people who tend to eat more frequent meals are less fat than people who eat like twice a day
    GAINS, GAINS, More GAINS

allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ontclone View Post
    in real life i noticed that people who tend to eat more frequent meals are less fat than people who eat like twice a day
    This doesn;t mean anything really.
    Alan Aragon, Brad Schoenfeld, Stu Phillips, Lyle McDonald. FTW.

Not a physique competitor but hope to compete in powerlifting next year. Max bench 1RM with pause 160kg. 352lbs.

Lift and learn.

allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Eat when you like. 3-4 means is fine. spead your nutrients our if you wish. try to get protein in every meal.

Not a physique competitor but hope to compete in powerlifting next year. Max bench 1RM with pause 160kg. 352lbs.

Lift and learn.

Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    my thoughts on meal timing are I eat when im hungry. I generally plan my meals ahead of time so there is little prep time and i can eat whenever.
    Blues Hockey is life! I live for pain and disappointment.
    Freemason crew

instagram.com/sph724

Originally Posted by Sh724 View Post
    my thoughts on meal timing are I eat when im hungry. I generally plan my meals ahead of time so there is little prep time and i can eat whenever.
    do you also only drink water when you are thirsty? bad way to do things
    GAINS, GAINS, More GAINS

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Works pretty well for most.
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    welp, do you piss when you need to or do you go to the toilet on the hour ?
    You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good.
    � Jerry West �
    How to Upgrade Your Life: A Primer On Diet And Fitness
    https://guavarilla.wordpress.com/fitness-guide/

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    so i always thought meal timing / frequency was irrelevant
    That's not the case. To maximise muscle protein synthesis (which is highly relevant to grow and retain muscle mass) probably at least 4 protein rich meals spread over the day are needed.

The list you gave from the book aren't significant effects.

See this article by Brad Schoenfeld on meal frequency: http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/nutrit...y-on-fat-loss/
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    so i always thought meal timing / frequency was irrelevant but this new advance nutrition book is saying otherwise. main points i took away from the studies they did in the text book. also, this book is referring to athletes if that matters at all.

reason why meal frequency matters:

- delayed eating = a drop in blood sugar which then alanine( amino acid) is recruited from muscle and turned into glucose to keep blood sugar normal

-low blood sugar and large meals = hyperinsulinemia, which encourage fat manufacturing... higher insulin rate/ sensitivity

- smaller meals = less GI discomfort and maybe better absorption

- lower anaerobic power and endurance

- Lower thermogenesis ( slower metabolic rate) and worse fat utilization

-thermic effect on food is higher in frequent meals

- leptin level are higher( leptin released by fat cells) hormone associated with greater fat mass production

thoughts? not sure what to think
    Blood sugar levels are maintained within tight bounds in a typical healthy individual regardless of meal frequency - unless you take the fasting period to unaccustomed extremes.

Large meals don't necessarily represent the big insulin spike you might think, digestion is slowed by the ileal brake. It's only in people who have insulin resistance issues that they overproduce and risk a 'crash' afterward. This has as much to do with food choices as meal sizes. E.g. a 250 calorie sugary snack on an empty stomach might have more of an impact than 800 calories of beef stew.

GI discomfort - maybe, but again this depends on what type of foods and whether you are used to large meals or not.

Anaerobic endurance: unlikely to be an issue due to the size of glycogen stores, you have to be in a prolonged calorie and carb deficit to make a significant impact on them.

Thermogenesis: No - smaller more frequent TEF is no different to larger less frequent. It's the area under the curve that matters - i.e. total nutrient intake over the longer term.

Hunger response (mediated by a cocktail of hormones, including leptin) is most likely down to overall calorie load - although ghrelin tells you what time of day to feel hungry - but this is a trainable response so you can become accustomed to any meal pattern. Anecdotally, lower meal frequency is reported to be easier to control hunger (I can confirm having done IF) and it's likely that overall hormonal activity is lower - i.e. this is not purely psychological.

Having said that, I now eat 4x a day - because protein timing matters for anabolism - but I still have small breakfasts because I don't feel the need for a big meal at this time.

Kust going to throw this out there. So people know why "some" people harp on about timing.

Meal timing / nutrient is very important..... If you take certain supplements.

For the average guy, Meahhh. It is "largely" irrelevant.

Lift and learn.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Why the traditional anabolic window is a myth for beginners yet workout nutrition does matter for advanced trainees.

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/anab...ency-training/
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

timhet is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timhet is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timhet is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timhet is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timhet is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timhet is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timhet is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timhet is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timhet is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timhet is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timhet is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    Why the traditional anabolic window is a myth for beginners yet workout nutrition does matter for advanced trainees.

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/anab...ency-training/
    This is what I've concluded watching that vid and reading some of Lyle McDonald's work.

Muscle Protein Synthesis peaks at about 4 hours after training and continues for 24-36 hours or so.

Lyle writes "we might set a conservative limit of five hours as the absolute longest time that should pass between eating some source of dietary protein during waking hours"

Lets say you workout at 5pm, then have a meal or two after that (which is what I do), then that should cover you while you are sleeping. The next day when I wake up, if I fast till say 2pm (like a lot of IF people do), then aren't I missing out on several hours where MPS is elevated?

My question is not about whether you can get away with fasting like this, but whether you'll get better results eating more when MPS is elevated (4-24 hours post workout).
    Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/timothyjay_fitness/

Originally Posted by timhet View Post
    Lets say you workout at 5pm, then have a meal or two after that (which is what I do), then that should cover you while you are sleeping. The next day when I wake up, if I fast till say 2pm (like a lot of IF people do), then aren't I missing out on several hours where MPS is elevated?

My question is not about whether you can get away with fasting like this, but whether you'll get better results eating more when MPS is elevated (4-24 hours post workout).
    You'd get better results if you consume some protein in the morning.

Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000)
    I also sleep when I'm sleepy.

Melis689 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Melis689 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Melis689 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Melis689 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Melis689 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Melis689 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Melis689 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Melis689 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Melis689 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Melis689 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Melis689 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    With my working routine I tend to have the same eating patterns everyday. As long as I meet macros/calories it doesn't matter how often I eat. Eating frequently can keep hunger down but other than that, I don't see how it would have that much of a negative impact. Going an extra 3 hours instead of 2 without 20g of protein isn't gona cause vast amounts of muscle loss. This is from my own personal experience though, different strokes for different folks. I just personally wouldnt want to down a cup of brocolli and chicken every 2 hours.

smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Oh sweet Jesus don't ask about meal timing! You will be negged into oblivion. It's called nutrient planning now which is ok. I was told this by my sanitation engineer, read it in the paper I got from my media distribution officer, verified it with my petroleum transfer engineer who confirmed it with his beverage dissemination officer.
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card
    21 BB 40+1st..50+1st..Open 5th..4th Card

Originally Posted by smokinal View Post
    Oh sweet Jesus don't ask about meal timing! You will be negged into oblivion. It's called nutrient planning now which is ok. I was told this by my sanitation engineer, read it in the paper I got from my media distribution officer, verified it with my petroleum transfer engineer who confirmed it with his beverage dissemination officer.
    Huh? Are you drunk?

Lift and learn.