Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sammysamgurl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammysamgurl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammysamgurl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammysamgurl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammysamgurl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammysamgurl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammysamgurl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammysamgurl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammysamgurl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammysamgurl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammysamgurl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

KETO EXPERIMENT-Increasing Calories without weight-gain...

Hey guys!

So..being the curious/research-obsessed nutrition student that I am, I decided to use myself as the subject for an experiment I have spent quite a while trying to find more information on.

The gist of it is, I want to see what happens if I challenge the laws of basic thermodynamics..(ie. to lose weight you must eat less calories than you burn, to gain weight you must eat more than you burn) to see if I can INCREASE MY CALORIES on a KETO diet more-so than a regular (LFHC) diet.

For years, calories in vs calories out has been the premise for almost every diet plan I've come across (whether it's blatantly stated or not).

After my own experience with lifting and dieting down for a competition. I've wondered to myself the same questions I'm sure many of you have probably asked yourself "Is there a better way to diet?" "Is this really my only option?"

Thus, led to me researching every diet known to man.

During this time, I came across the KETO diet but always considered it "too extreme" and something "unattainable" for myself. (Note, this was also the time I was still accepting fat as a necessary macronutrient and not as "BAD").

But as I researched further and became better educated, I started to see how this idea of eating high fat with minimal carbs may actually have some logic behind it. (See my Youtube Channel for my first KETO experiment/to learn more about the studies I originally researched).

Insulin was a key word I came across in the research I read.

The believers in the KETO diet will tell you that Insulin and down-regulation of hormones is ultimately the culprit for fat-gain and that the idea of calories in vs. calories out might not be as simple as we'd previously thought.

Now I could go into detail about the proposed benefits and the reasons behind the creation of the KETO diet but I'll save you some excessive reading and just share a few key points:

1. Insulin, is kept low with a low-carb intake-less fluctuations.
    2. Many studies have shown that an increase in fat calorie consumption on a LCHF diet leads to less/little weight-gain vs an increase in carbohydrate calorie consumption on a HCLF diet. (Sam Feltham is a great example).
    3. Hunger is said to be curbed on a LCHF diet (likely due to more stable insulin levels)

With all of that said! Let's get to the numbers and my own experiment details...

For the past month my cutting* macros have been 1550 as compared to my typical 1850 maintenance.
    I started doing cardio 3x per week (20 min HIIT or 20min steady state depending on the day).
    Lifting 4-5x per week.
    My macros were relatively high for fat at this point even, but carbs were also relatively high:
    60F/133C/120P

On this diet I hadn't lost ANY weight. Now I know my fat macros could have been lower and carbs higher for better measure but this is where I'm starting.

Starting Weight: 125.5 (Height: 5'2.5)

Now currently for the past 4 days my calories have been upped to 2000. I have been eating less than 50g of NET carbs/day. (although 3/4 of those days it was lower than 30 NET carbs). For my macros, I am more so aiming to get the common KETO ratios until I am fully in ketosis then I will adjust as necessary but each day it's been in the range of 140-160F, <50g NET carbs(so around 45-70 actual carbs) and 105-125P.

Current Weight 4 days in: 124.0 Lowest Weigh-in: 123.5

I know for a fact it's just water-weight that I've lost thus far but it's also interesting that with the extra 250cals/day (sometimes up to 350 cals/day) my weight hasn't increased what-so-ever in 4 days of eating this way. (Again, this could be due to water weight, we will just have to see as I progress).

Current physical state:

Day 1, 2 and 3 I was pretty normal, energy was fine, didn't really even feel like I'd changed my diet. BUT DAY 4...

LET ME TELL YOU.

I feel like I was hit by a brick wall or like I'm walking around feeling the way you feel at the end of a long night of drinking when you're almost sober, tired and just want to go home, but still half out of it and kind of hazy.

As I am writing this I am debating stopping and just going straight to bed -It's 8:31PM, Normally I am a night owl and go to bed at 1-2:30AM.

SO I am assuming this is the so-called KETO-Flu setting in. I'm not sure how long it will last but lets hope it passes soon as I've already tried to put an egg in my waffle maker, apparently making the batter itself was no longer a necessity in my mind (I am off in lala land).

Anyways!! This got longer than I planned BUT I hope you guys jump in on this experiment as I am going to be posting daily, what I'm eating, recipes, how I am feeling, weigh-ins etc.

Let me know your thoughts, so long for now I am off to pass out.
    My bed is calling to me.

Night,

~Sam~

P.S. Here'a a picture of my favourite KETO waffles to entice you to follow..
    "You get out of it what you put into it".

Protein dessert recipes, healthy breakfasts, workouts and more: www.mouthwateringmotivation.wordpress.com
    or
    www.mouthwateringmotivation,com

Fan Page: www.********.com/sambriden18

Food/Bulking Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155764743

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyJcTmyKjflsT9k-w1jJ7Nw

Instagram: sammysamgirl

IIFYM for life.

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Have you dieted on keto before? based on how you currently feel. You may want to rethink this whole "experiment".

sammysamgurl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammysamgurl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammysamgurl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammysamgurl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammysamgurl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammysamgurl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammysamgurl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammysamgurl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammysamgurl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammysamgurl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammysamgurl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yes I have actually! (See my experiment 1/ I did it for a month about 2 years ago). I was prepared for some side effects and the experiment is honestly just for my own curiousity! I just thought I'd share as others might be interested in the outcome.

Protein dessert recipes, healthy breakfasts, workouts and more: www.mouthwateringmotivation.wordpress.com
    or

IIFYM for life.

DAY 5-UPDATE

Had a slight headache this morning, energy was low for majority of the day-decent after lunch ..but just as yesterday It's 8:50 and I'm ready for bed.
    I also felt a strong sense of nausea after my final meal (highest fat meal of the day at around 56g of fat). But it disappeared as fast as it came on.

On a positive note, I tried the Ketostix today to test for ketones (yes I know these can be unreliable based on hydration and other factors) but...

I am officially in ketosis. The reading came back somewhere in-between "Small" to a "Moderate" amount.

So at least I know I've got the diet part right. (Came in at 14g of NET carbs today somehow!)

Now the plan is to just stick it out a while longer and hope that my body begins to adjust and energy starts to return once again!

Weight today: 124.5 (*Note I was also quite bloated today as compared to yesterday..so this is likely the cause for the 0.5 gain).

I'll check back tomorrow with further updates!

Have a great night.

~Sam

or

IIFYM for life.

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by sammysamgurl View Post
    Yes I have actually! (See my experiment 1/ I did it for a month about 2 years ago). I was prepared for some side effects and the experiment is honestly just for my own curiousity! I just thought I'd share as others might be interested in the outcome.
    And what exactly are your main goals? Are you aiming to compete again? TBH, I don't really see the importance of dieting down to such low body fat at your age. But to each their own.

Originally Posted by ErikTheElectric View Post
    And what exactly are your main goals? Are you aiming to compete again? TBH, I don't really see the importance of dieting down to such low body fat at your age. But to each their own.
    No particular goals in mind as of now. Like I said, just pure curiosity. I would like to compete again in the future but I decided to wait until after I'm done school (in my final year of Food and Nutrition).

or

IIFYM for life.

NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Have you considered a breakfast replacement of bullet proof (or fat only) coffee?

The first time I did keto I suffered quite badly with keto flu/lethargy but since then I've always completed my keto diets with a fat only breakfast and the difference was astounding. Absolutely no negative symptoms from keto adaption from that point on.
    insta www.instagram.com/strongbanter
    lifting log https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164163411

Originally Posted by NickelArse View Post
    Have you considered a breakfast replacement of bullet proof (or fat only) coffee?

The first time I did keto I suffered quite badly with keto flu/lethargy but since then I've always completed my keto diets with a fat only breakfast and the difference was astounding. Absolutely no negative symptoms from keto adaption from that point on.
    That's a good idea. Keto flu is no joke. I will have to try that for next time, thanks! As of today things are looking up.

or

IIFYM for life.

Day 6/7 UPDATE

Finally feeling more human again!

I am still feeling a bit foggy but my energy is slowly returning to what I'd consider a normal level. Also something odd happened last night. Usually I think about food CONSTANTLY (mainly because I love to cook but I also love to eat).

But yesterday I managed to go from 2:00pm-8:00pm without even realizing I hadn't eaten. I then only had time to eat half an avocado (had to rush to be somewhere). I once again, went from 8:00pm-12:30am without my stomach rumbling once, with only that half a piece of avocado. This was crazy to me because even when I did get the chance to eat I really wasn't all that hungry, I also had no desire to binge on bagels/chips as I have to restrain myself from most nights.

Anyways! That's just one day so we will see how today ends off, so far I've had a lighter breakfast and lunch as I again have been rushing around but I'll probably make something more fatty for dinner.

Current Weight: 123.0

My new breakfast fav is 2 eggs, 100g raw spinach, 1 tbsp coconut oil & 2 thick cut slices of bacon chopped into pieces.

-->Fry up the bacon until cooked, then throw in the spinach, salt, pepper and coconut oil until wilted and top with 2 over-easy eggs.

or

IIFYM for life.

NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Finally feeling more human again!

I am still feeling a bit foggy but my energy is slowly returning to what I'd consider a normal level. Also something odd happened last night. Usually I think about food CONSTANTLY (mainly because I love to cook but I also love to eat).

But yesterday I managed to go from 2:00pm-8:00pm without even realizing I hadn't eaten. I then only had time to eat half an avocado (had to rush to be somewhere). I once again, went from 8:00pm-12:30am without my stomach rumbling once, with only that half a piece of avocado. This was crazy to me because even when I did get the chance to eat I really wasn't all that hungry, I also had no desire to binge on bagels/chips as I have to restrain myself from most nights.

Anyways! That's just one day so we will see how today ends off, so far I've had a lighter breakfast and lunch as I again have been rushing around but I'll probably make something more fatty for dinner.

Current Weight: 123.0

My new breakfast fav is 2 eggs, 100g raw spinach, 1 tbsp coconut oil & 2 thick cut slices of bacon chopped into pieces.

-->Fry up the bacon until cooked, then throw in the spinach, salt, pepper and coconut oil until wilted and top with 2 over-easy eggs.

[img]http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad318/sammysamgurl/IMG_1084_zpsomg5aapj.jpg[ /img]
    that's the power of low insulin levels you have without carbs, amazingly powerful for keeping calories down in a cut

Originally Posted by NickelArse View Post
    that's the power of low insulin levels you have without carbs, amazingly powerful for keeping calories down in a cut
    Exactly what I was thinking! I realized you have a long thread going on here as well. Going to have to check that out.

I am liking the idea of the Keto lifestyle more and more as I read up on it here and experience it myself..

*Also wanted to note..I started purposely drinking chicken broth or over-salting some of my food as well as purposely upping my intake of spinach and avocado to increase magnesium/potassium levels which seems to have helped a lot with dizziness/fatigue.

or

IIFYM for life.

DAY 8-UPDATE

Woke up today feeling okay made an AWESOME green smoothie which I will share the recipe for on my Instagram soon. I also took a magnesium+electrolytes supplement alongside it.

I easily went from the smoothie at breakfast-7:50am-->12:30am without feeling any hunger. I decided to eat only because I knew I had to start getting ready for the gym and didn't want to go on a completely empty stomach.

After lunch I began to get that sleepy/foggy feeling again and got quite thirsty. I ended up drinking 1 cup of coffee, 1 cup of hot beef broth, 1 cup of mio+electrolytes & then a ton of water. (Normally I am not a big drinker, lol).

Just before heading to the gym, I have no idea if it was the supplements and water or what but I got this sudden feeling like I took pre-workout or something. Not so much insane energy but I felt really focussed and excited for the gym. I ended up having a really decent workout too! I was so surprised that I didn't crash or feel sleepy as compared to my last couple workouts!

So I think I am beginning to make it through the worst part and hopefully things keep improving from here on!

Weight: 121.0
    Calories Consumed today: 2001
    Cardio: 0

or

IIFYM for life.

hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If I might make a suggestion. I started using Quest MCT powder in my coffee and shakes and it makes me hyper focused and gives me a ton of energy. No more keto fog.

jason1052004 is just really nice. (+1000) jason1052004 is just really nice. (+1000) jason1052004 is just really nice. (+1000) jason1052004 is just really nice. (+1000) jason1052004 is just really nice. (+1000) jason1052004 is just really nice. (+1000) jason1052004 is just really nice. (+1000) jason1052004 is just really nice. (+1000) jason1052004 is just really nice. (+1000) jason1052004 is just really nice. (+1000) jason1052004 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Will be interested in results. Have some questions I'll ask later when I have time. Sub'd.
    Life's too short to walk slow... except after leg day.

Originally Posted by hedrickbl View Post
    If I might make a suggestion. I started using Quest MCT powder in my coffee and shakes and it makes me hyper focused and gives me a ton of energy. No more keto fog.
    I've been meaning to pick some up! I'll let you know when I do and thanks for the suggestion.

or

IIFYM for life.

Originally Posted by jason1052004 View Post
    Will be interested in results. Have some questions I'll ask later when I have time. Sub'd.
    Thanks for subbing & ask away. I'll continue checking-in every evening!

or

IIFYM for life.

DAY 9-UPDATE

Feeling pretty good, energy levels are still a bit lower than normal but I am able to go to classes and not fall asleep, I am actually quite focussed.

I took a rest day today, just did some cardio and I felt I was a bit depleted and tired during it but that's still to be expected at this point.

I also have noticed that since this diet already eliminates the main thing I've had previous GI issues with (ie. gluten) , it's acted as an elimination diet in a way because I've now sadly realized cheese REALLY sets off my stomach, even in small amounts. Normally my stomach is flat now due to almost zero water retention but after eating cheese I am a bloated balloon, lol. Thus, new plan is to avoid cheese or take lactase pills when I do have it as I enjoy a good burger with cheese or the idea of one day making keto pizza or cheesecake (*birthday idea for next week).

Otherwise, things are normal, I am still sipping on a cup of beef broth throughout the day as well as loads of water and continuing to consume lots of avocado and spinach. It's also 8pm now, I ate a snack at 3:30pm and still no hunger. I'll probably eat just for the sake of eating haha but honestly I'm really not hungry.

Also, funny story, today in our lecture we discussed carbohydrates and the prof went through low-carb dieting and went on to say "none of you should ever have to go through glycogen depletion on a low-carb diet, it's just awful and your brain will be foggy and you'll be tired..." LOL. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT is all I was thinking, haha.

Anyways, that's basically all I wanted to say today!! If you guys have any questions feel free to ask, otherwise, I'll talk to you all in my next post.

Chicken, Avocado & Burger Salad (My food gets weirder by the day. Don't knock it t'ill you try it).

BY THE WAY-This is me-current situation
    Thought it might be important to actually show you what I look like to start, so um HI. Apologies for the toilet background.

Current Weight: 121.5

or

IIFYM for life.

FxFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) FxFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) FxFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) FxFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) FxFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) FxFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) FxFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) FxFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) FxFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) FxFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) FxFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Subbed!

Very interested in the results you got and still would achieve.
    If I may ask, what type of training to you do alongside the diet? A lot of cardio or minimal(2x a week)?

Thank you!!

I do weight training 4-5x per week with a 3 day split. Day 1-Chest/Tris/Shoulders Day 2-Legs Day 3-Back & Bis - Repeat-

I switch up the weights too, Sometimes I'll go heavier /low rep or lighter/high rep. As for cardio I'm doing basically 0 at the moment! More -so because this diet has caused a bit of low energy from the start but I am getting back on track and did cardio yesterday! (20min)

I was doing prior to this about 3x per week. (Stair master or 10 min HIIT +5min warm up/ 5min cool down on the bike).

Hope that answers your question! Thanks again for subbing.

or

IIFYM for life.

jason1052004 is just really nice. (+1000) jason1052004 is just really nice. (+1000) jason1052004 is just really nice. (+1000) jason1052004 is just really nice. (+1000) jason1052004 is just really nice. (+1000) jason1052004 is just really nice. (+1000) jason1052004 is just really nice. (+1000) jason1052004 is just really nice. (+1000) jason1052004 is just really nice. (+1000) jason1052004 is just really nice. (+1000) jason1052004 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Maybe I missed it, but are you only doing the one increase in calories from your pre-keto 1550 to your present 2000? Or are you going to try more bumps in caloric intake to see if you can sneak increased calories even more and still see the results you want?

If you are planning more bumps, in what frequency and increments are you going to try to up your total calories? Also, what macros are you planning to increase your caloric intake with, and at what ratio? (Ie. Just going to increase by consuming more fats? Going to break up increases by 75% fat and 25% protein? Etc.)
    Life's too short to walk slow... except after leg day.

Originally Posted by jason1052004 View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but are you only doing the one increase in calories from your pre-keto 1550 to your present 2000? Or are you going to try more bumps in caloric intake to see if you can sneak increased calories even more and still see the results you want?

If you are planning more bumps, in what frequency and increments are you going to try to up your total calories? Also, what macros are you planning to increase your caloric intake with, and at what ratio? (Ie. Just going to increase by consuming more fats? Going to break up increases by 75% fat and 25% protein? Etc.)
    For now just the one. Maybe in the future I will try further upping my calories depending on the results with my current intake.

And..if I do an increase, the added calories will more than likely be coming from fat.

Hope that answers your questions!

or

IIFYM for life.

Day 10-update

Felt tired this morning, but it was nothing that wasn't manageable. I did a decent workout (noticed I couldn't do quite as many reps).

I've also come to realize the importance of water intake. If I slack or drink less (usually before classes as I have to pee 24/7 on this diet). Then I get the brain fog coming back again. So if you are ever going to try KETO, best advice..DRINK A LOT OF WATER. I also started taking a potassium supplement along with my magnesium and multivitamin pills.

Not much else to report today, hunger-level is pretty great, not craving much. I went to class and only brought an atkins nut bar as a snack...went from 4:20-9:30pm before eating an actual meal with no issue.

I also went shopping and picked up some KETO-friendly foods...hickory smoked almonds were a GREAT find. Macros are 25F/11C/8P & 8g fibre per serving.

PLUS I BAKED BAGELS. YES BAGELS. The only food I literally cannot survive without. (I really like bagels).

Completely Keto friendly at 32F/8C/24P each and 4.5g fibre

Plus the taste amazing slathered in full fat cream cheese...
    (so much for going lactose-free-stomach is hating me atm but I don't even care...)

That is all for today.

Weight is still hovering at 121.0

Talk to you all tomorrow!

or

IIFYM for life.

FxFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) FxFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) FxFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) FxFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) FxFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) FxFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) FxFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) FxFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) FxFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) FxFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) FxFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you!!

I do weight training 4-5x per week with a 3 day split. Day 1-Chest/Tris/Shoulders Day 2-Legs Day 3-Back & Bis - Repeat-

I switch up the weights too, Sometimes I'll go heavier /low rep or lighter/high rep. As for cardio I'm doing basically 0 at the moment! More -so because this diet has caused a bit of low energy from the start but I am getting back on track and did cardio yesterday! (20min)

I was doing prior to this about 3x per week. (Stair master or 10 min HIIT +5min warm up/ 5min cool down on the bike).

Hope that answers your question! Thanks again for subbing.
    Cool! Thanks for replying. And good luck.
    Would love to see you finish this experiment.

Originally Posted by FxFreak View Post
    Cool! Thanks for replying. And good luck.
    Would love to see you finish this experiment.
    Anytime & Thank you, me too, haha!

or

IIFYM for life.

KETO-Friendly Cheat-No Weight Gain?- DAY-11

So I thought I'd share this now because I found it interesting...
    Last night I'm not sure what happened but I finished my daily calories and was STILL hungry and craving food. Weirdly I wasn't craving carbs. Just more of the foods I had eaten.

So...Ended up eating a half container of the hickory smoked almonds and about 1/4 cup almond-coconut butter with a few sugar-free(high fibre) chocolate chips

My calories ended up somewhere over 3000 and my total Net Carbs came in at 29g.

I checked my keto strips a while after eating and was in deep purple ketosis (I wasn't very dehydrated either so that was weird). But good to know I stayed in ketosis the whole time! (I was worried all the nuts/nut butter may knock me out).

Anyways, woke up today and just had coffee with a tbsp of cream to push breakfast off for a while.

I ate about 2 hours later, usual eggs with avocado but I was already hungry about 2 hours after! I ended up eating more for lunch than usual because of this. (SO WEIRD because usually after a big cheat on carbs+fat I am not hungry at all in the mornings/afternoon)

I am trying to listen to my body so I'm not just entirely binging or anything.

But the strange part is, I woke up at exactly 121.0. NO WEIGHT GAIN. Plus very hungry...(I made sure it was hunger too and not thirst).

Not sure if this means my metabolism is working in overdrive or I just needed the extra calories that day lol but that's what happened.

Anyways, just thought I'd share!! I'll probably post again later tonight or tomorrow morning.

~Sam

or

IIFYM for life.

hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I experience something similar on occasion. My stomach will be full, like I feel very full, but by body is still telling me to eat. And, like you, I hit the peanut butter. Seems to be the only thing that satisfies when I get like that. I have noticed that it is usually on high energy output days or sometimes the day after when this happens. Just part of the ride I suppose.
    Keep logging, I'm loving your feed. It makes me feel normal lol

Glad to hear we are on the same page! Definitely satisfies my sweet cravings. It's now a nightly thing for me to sit down with 1/4 cup of peanut butter topped with 1 tbsp of semi-sweet (stevia sweetened) chocolate chips and unsweetened shredded coconut.

It's cool now that I am becoming more used to keto I can start broadening my food choices as I know what foods(and amounts) don't knock me out of keto. Anyways, I will continue to post! I got quite busy this weekend but I'll post today's update below..

or

IIFYM for life.

DAY 13-UPDATE

Well guys it's been almost 2 weeks of straight KETO. It went by faster than i thought it would!
    In the past 3 days I have been eating OVER 2000 cals FOR SURE. lol. (Note to self: never again buy coconut-almond butter or flavoured almonds-DANGEROUS STUFF)
    But even so, my weight has been maintaining at 122.0. This was also weighing myself after drinking an entire cup of coffee and being SUPER bloated. So I feel once the bloating and water retention goes away (time of the month *cough, cough*), I am quite sure my weight will be the same!(121.0). That's insane considering the amount of calories I have consumed over the course of the past 3 days and the fact that I used to gain weight eating anything over about 1850cals on a regular diet of carbs and lower fat.

I forgot to mention, I also drank this weekend! First time in a while. I drink vodka straight-up, no chase unless it's flavoured water, lol. Suprisingly no carb cravings after I came home (usually I get home and devour 2 bagels before bed after a night of drinking). Instead I came home and ate..you guessed it, a ton of almond-coconut butter (finished the jar sadly lol) and some almonds.

Checked my ketone strips before bed and was still in ketosis.

For dinner today I made some zucchini spaghetti with spiralized noodles cooked in olive oil and the left over oil from my ground beef, then threw that together with this really great pasta sauce I found (only 3g carbs per 1/2 cup). (NOTE: high fat pasta sauce is SOOO much better than low-fat, guys) I am just now learning this.

OH and as you can see I still haven't completely given up cheese. I probably never will. No matter how much my stomach protests, I need at least some cheese in my life.

Talk to you all tomorrow at 2 WEEKS.
    I will also be checking my bodyfat % daily starting tomorrow once my high-tech scale finally arrives !

or

IIFYM for life.

DAY 14 AKA 2 weeks of KETOOOO!

Today was decent, I have been having cravings and crazy bloating (again girl probs) but I have managed to stay on track. My current weight is 122.8 which I know for a fact is due to water weight. It should start to come back down after a week or so, I'm not really concerned.

I also got my fancy shmancy new scale today.

It measures weight, bodyfat %, muscle mass, bone mass etc. and then estimates your BMR. Pretty cool stuff. I know scales are never 100% accurate with body fat percentage so I won't take it to heart but I'll use it as a measure to see the numbers it gave me go down as time goes on.

Currently it says I am 23.1% with 77 pounds of lean muscle. I always thought my body fat % to be slightly lower...but who knows maybe it's changed more than I thought since I last measured!

As for workouts, I am still noticing that I can't knock out as many reps as before, so I am hoping at some point this improves at least bit as I get further into keto. Otherwise my energy levels are great. I am basically back to my old self.

One thing to note is that I don't fall asleep in classes anymore! (Not that I ACTUALLY did before, but usually I was on the verge the entire time and had to force myself to stay awake).

Anywhoo that is all I've got for today, I'll leave you with this picture of the Keto-friendly pumpkin spice muffins I baked today.

Had to jump on that basic bandwagon.

If anyone ends up stumbling upon this log, feel free to share your experiences with keto..ie. did you find it was harder to gain weight on keto? Were you able to eat more? Or was it not for you? I'm interested to hear your feedback guys, so anytime feel free to jump in.

~Sam

or

IIFYM for life.

DAY 14 AKA 2 weeks of KETOOOO!

Today was decent, I have been having cravings and crazy bloating (again girl probs) but I have managed to stay on track. My current weight is 122.8 which I know for a fact is due to water weight. It should start to come back down after a week or so, I'm not really concerned.

I also got my fancy shmancy new scale today.

It measures weight, bodyfat %, muscle mass, bone mass etc. and then estimates your BMR. Pretty cool stuff. I know scales are never 100% accurate with body fat percentage so I won't take it to heart but I'll use it as a measure to see the numbers it gave me go down as time goes on.

Currently it says I am 23.1% with 77 pounds of lean muscle. I always thought my body fat % to be slightly lower...but who knows maybe it's changed more than I thought since I last measured!

As for workouts, I am still noticing that I can't knock out as many reps as before, so I am hoping at some point this improves at least bit as I get further into keto. Otherwise my energy levels are great. I am basically back to my old self.

One thing to note is that I don't fall asleep in classes anymore! (Not that I ACTUALLY did before, but usually I was on the verge the entire time and had to force myself to stay awake).

Anywhoo that is all I've got for today, I'll leave you with this picture of the Keto-friendly pumpkin spice muffins I baked today.

Had to jump on that basic bandwagon.

[img ]http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad318/sammysamgurl/IMG_1379_zpsi1td5ziy.jpg[/img]

If anyone ends up stumbling upon this log, feel free to share your experiences with keto..ie. did you find it was harder to gain weight on keto? Were you able to eat more? Or was it not for you? I'm interested to hear your feedback guys, so anytime feel free to jump in.

~Sam
    A couple of points

I would use some fat calipers (can buy for about $5) to measure BF% and progress, those impediment analysis scales are just too unreliable.

Secondly I'd like to think I'm pretty experienced with keto and low carb diets and I've come to the following realisation. Whilst cutting carbs and going keto is absolutely the most optimal way to get on a calorie deficit and lose body fat, it is not the best way to perform at your best from a physical point of view (when not trying to lose weight).

Outside of experimentation I'm not 100% sure what your goals are with Keto but for me I'm currently using it to lose weight (and I'm nearing my current goal of body fat%) at which point I'm going to switch to about 120g of carbs per day on workout days but still use keto on rest/cardio days. Like I said for fat loss keto is god, for any type of performance training/exercise (some) carbs are preferable.