aali1221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can heavy eccentric training tear tendon/muscle?

I want to start including heavy eccentric curls in my bicep workout. If I do this can i possibly tear my bicep or the tendon? I know it is more safer with compound movements like bench press, squat but I find it pointless with those movements unless you are rehabilitating muscle/tendon.
    Last edited by aali1221; 09-17-2016 at 07:36 PM.

Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yeah it's possible. The risk is higher during a heavy eccentric because....you are using heavier weight. If done properly tough, no big deal.

But why do you want to do this ? Just doing bicep curl isnt enough ?
    ☆ ☆ QUEBEC CREW ☆ ☆

OW log :
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149575693&p=977696913#post977696913

Competition lift : 212 kg total (95/117) @ 77 kg

urg862 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urg862 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urg862 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urg862 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urg862 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urg862 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urg862 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urg862 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urg862 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urg862 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urg862 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes it's possible..... Why do you think eccentric training for a compound/multi-joint movement which you can actually lift heavier is pointless compared to eccentric training for a isolated movement like the Bicep curl?
    VELOCITY NUTRITION

SimerGrewal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SimerGrewal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SimerGrewal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SimerGrewal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SimerGrewal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SimerGrewal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SimerGrewal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SimerGrewal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SimerGrewal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SimerGrewal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SimerGrewal has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i dont have that much knowledge as others but when i started working out i had 5kg n 10 kg dumbells at home n i used to lift the 10kg one with both hands n get it down with only one hand ,.. n that does helped me a lot like after a month i was able to lift that 10kg easily.. i would say dont go too much heavy .. suppose u can do 4-5 reps urself at 60kg then get spotter to help get weight up n lower urself with full control for upto 8-10 reps

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by aali1221 View Post
    I want to start including heavy eccentric curls in my bicep workout. If I do this can i possibly tear my bicep or the tendon?
    Saintsqc

As he basically stated, anything's possible.

I had a partial pectoral tear competing at a Powerlifing Meet years ago. My pectoral tear occurred during the concentric part of the movement.

I know it is more safer with compound movements like bench press, squat...
    Compound Movements

There's more risk with compound heavy eccentric movement like the bench press and squat

The problem with the bench press is being pinned to the bench or worse; having the bar roll up you neck or dropped on your neck.

Two lifters were injured this year at Powerlifting Meets. One dropped the bar on his chest, cracking some ribs. The second dropped the bar on his neck, crushing his larnyx.

Single Joint Movements

The majority of single joint exercise are much safer that multi joint exercise like the bench press and squat.

but I find it pointless with those movements unless you are rehabilitating muscle/tendon.
    The "Money Exercises"

Pointless? Really?

Compound exercises are the "Money Exercises". Compound exercise provide you with the greatest return for the time and effort invested.

Eccentric Training

At this point of your training, anything and everything is going to produce result but adding eccentrics is an option.

However, in order to obtain optimal results you need to understand how to implement them into your program.

The same protocol for strength and hypertrophy training needs to be followed with sets, repetitions and rest period between sets as with traditional lifting.

Also, the eccentric bar speed needs to be around 1 - 6 seconds. Research shows long, slow eccentric do not elicit the optimal training effect, increasing strength and/or increasing muscle mass.

Negative Powerlifts for Size & Strength
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/ne...e-and-strength

This is a good introductory article on eccentric training.

Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by kennycroxdale; 09-18-2016 at 05:18 AM.
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.

ok thanks. The reason i find it pointless in those compound movements as I am still making gains. Whereas with Bicep im stuck on 95lb curls with the barbell.
    Last edited by aali1221; 09-18-2016 at 10:49 AM.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I don't recommend doing any kind of eccentric overload work for beginners or even intermediates. The fact that you're asking the question puts you in one of these categories.

For one thing, at your level, such extreme tactics shouldn't be required in order for you to keep progressing. Instead, look at your current routine and it's parameters for ways to improve on what you're already doing, as well as reviewing your nutrition and your sleep quantity/quality.

For another, weight training basics dictate to always use a weight that you can control on your own. Even with a spotter, 'stuff' can happen if you're attempting to lower a load that's beyond your current capability to control at all times.

The biceps are a small muscle, with similarly small attachments. Almost every day, there's at least one post in just this one forum of someone with biceps tendinits, usually caused by too much training. There are also the occasional posts (and even just one is one too many) from trainees who have suffered a complete biceps tendon detachment, an injury sure to put you on the back bench for many months, possibly permenantly if there are complications.

If you still think you need to do 'eccentric' training in order to build bigger biceps (and based on my prior experience on this site, I'm assuming you've already made up your mind to do so), first check on your health insurance and make sure you're paid up.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    I don't recommend doing any kind of eccentric overload work for beginners or even intermediates. The fact that you're asking the question puts you in one of these categories.

For one thing, at your level, such extreme tactics shouldn't be required in order for you to keep progressing. Instead, look at your current routine and it's parameters for ways to improve on what you're already doing, as well as reviewing your nutrition and your sleep quantity/quality.

For another, weight training basics dictate to always use a weight that you can control on your own. Even with a spotter, 'stuff' can happen if you're attempting to lower a load that's beyond your current capability to control at all times.

The biceps are a small muscle, with similarly small attachments. Almost every day, there's at least one post in just this one forum of someone with biceps tendinits, usually caused by too much training. There are also the occasional posts (and even just one is one too many) from trainees who have suffered a complete biceps tendon detachment, an injury sure to put you on the back bench for many months, possibly permenantly if there are complications.

If you still think you need to do 'eccentric' training in order to build bigger biceps (and based on my prior experience on this site, I'm assuming you've already made up your mind to do so), first check on your health insurance and make sure you're paid up.
    I wasnt planning on going balls deep with eccentric training, just a couple of heavier sets 6-8 reps in a low volume biceps workout. Planned on doing them with concentration curls 2-3 second eccentric, assisted curl back up.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You want to save those "tricks" for the ace up your sleeve when you need some extra stimulation which i doubt you need at this point. Before doing these things you should have the knowledge to answer these questions.

Yes you can rupture a biceps tendon with heavy eccentrics. Proper warm up and not going heavier than what's necessary are the 2 main points to consider.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Ok I will go a few weeks without them and if I am still making progress i wont include them. But if I am still not I will at them in on lower volume days

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by aali1221 View Post
    Planned on doing them with concentration curls 2-3 second eccentric, assisted curl back up.
    sounds like a bro workout. Just do curls with strict form and you'll make better progressions than stupid ego tricks which are going to be tough on your tendons and ligaments.