rippedbeast117 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Urgent please help out a beginner! Nervous and anxious about starting to work out

Hey

I am 21 years old. Almost 5'11 so let's just go with that for the sake of this post.

So 21 years old. 5'11. And 115 pounds.

That's right. Long story so won't go into it.

Now onto the question(s):

I am the type of guy who's a bit obsessive about things. Before beginning to work out or do anything really I always NEED to research ahead of time and know that it'll be worth it and that it WILL reap the results I want. Yea don't dissect this too much, as it is what it is for many reasons so I won't get to it.

So I am almost done all research and will start working out soon but something hit me recently. I've found that people like Alan Aragon and Lyle McDonald have made some equations of muscle gain.

The thing is that Lyle specifically has found: Year 1: 20-25 pounds Year 2: 10-12 pounds Year 3: 3-6 pounds (maximum 8) Year 4+: 2-3 pounds

NOW this is so discouraging to me and I fear that I wasted too many years of my life being unhealthy and now it'll be harmful to me forever?? So just because my start weight is 115 pounds that means that my highest possible end can be to gain 165 pounds if it's all pure muscle?? So I can ONLY be about 170 pounds with 5% body fat JUST because my starting point is horrible??

This is so discouraging so please help with any knowledge you have on this.

Casey Butt has said that someone of 5'11 can reach 180 pounds of LEAN MUSCLE mass, meaning they can be up to 185 pounds with just 5% and 190 at 7%. So even though my height is that much, I STILL cannot gain that just because my starting is low?

So am I doomed to ALWAYS BE in the 170-175 range if I want to be ripped? Any more AND I'll get excess body fat that will no longer be ripped??

Reign4321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Reign4321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Reign4321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Reign4321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Reign4321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Reign4321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Reign4321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Reign4321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Reign4321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Reign4321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Reign4321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I think you should start at Day 1 and worry about the end result later. Only time will tell.

Registered User gainzcheckingin's Avatar
    gainzcheckingin is not very well liked. (-100) gainzcheckingin is not very well liked. (-100) gainzcheckingin is not very well liked. (-100) gainzcheckingin is not very well liked. (-100) gainzcheckingin is not very well liked. (-100) gainzcheckingin is not very well liked. (-100) gainzcheckingin is not very well liked. (-100) gainzcheckingin is not very well liked. (-100) gainzcheckingin is not very well liked. (-100) gainzcheckingin is not very well liked. (-100) gainzcheckingin is not very well liked. (-100)
    Those equations as far as I know as based on regressions towards the mean, so being that you are 115 (a deviance to begin with) it might not necessarily apply to you.

That being said, there is possibly a reason for your low weight at 5'11 besides simply low muscle mass. You might have a small frame, or your bones aren't very dense, low water storage, and a number of factors. Use the scale as an indication of progress. Use the mirror for your goals. Even if you did max out at 170, chances are you will look significantly larger than that and could well appear to be 190+.

sirNikolai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sirNikolai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sirNikolai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sirNikolai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    A few things:
    1) What's your end goal, to be huge or to look shredded? The former requires less focus on how fat you look and more on what you lift. The latter doesn't depend on weight as such. After building muscle and cutting, depending on the frame you may look better at 170 that someone else at 190, as gainzcheckingin pointed out.

2) With regards to this:
    Originally Posted by rippedbeast117 View Post
    I am the type of guy who's a bit obsessive about things. Before beginning to work out or do anything really I always NEED to research ahead of time and know that it'll be worth it and that it WILL reap the results I want.
    I know this all to well. I did the same, but the more I researched the more contradicting stuff I found about almost all programs - Stronglifts 5x5 has too much volume and is just a rip off of SS, SS has too little volume and no accessory stuff, etc. The best advice I got on that is to start with something and see if it fits for you, as maybe your muscles will repair quicker than others so you can handle more volume or respond better to shorter but more intensive stuff. So just some times too much research isn't such a great thing.

godstrengthens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i used to be like you and it got me nowhwre. being a man is about deciding on something and doing it. Just do

MSeeton will become famous soon enough. (+50) MSeeton will become famous soon enough. (+50) MSeeton will become famous soon enough. (+50) MSeeton will become famous soon enough. (+50) MSeeton will become famous soon enough. (+50) MSeeton will become famous soon enough. (+50) MSeeton will become famous soon enough. (+50) MSeeton will become famous soon enough. (+50) MSeeton will become famous soon enough. (+50) MSeeton will become famous soon enough. (+50) MSeeton will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wouldn't focus so much on those equations or worry about the end result not being good enough and just start going to the gym asap... A lot of different factors such as genetics, nutrition, training (frequency/type), etc. play a role in how much muscle you can gain throughout your years of training

option2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) option2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) option2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) option2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) option2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) option2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) option2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) option2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) option2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) option2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) option2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    First off forget those damn equations. ANYTHING is possible. The only thing holding you back is yourself man, if you really work hard, dont half ass sh*t and eat right you can be a monster. I know plenty of guys that blow those so called equations out of the water. There are literally soooo many different variables those simple math equations dont take into account. Just start a good beginner program and STICK TO IT.
    -Needs to cut but still aesthetic-
    bench 265
    squat 325
    DL 350

matteoxyz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't really understand those figures you posted. I believe that if you eat right and lift right you will be able to build a very impressive physique. Your maximum possible lean muscle mass is determined by your height, I believe.

If anything will be difficult because of your weight, it may be that eating enough to gain will be a challenge, as you are probably accustomed to eating little right now.

Mdjack10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mdjack10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mdjack10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mdjack10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mdjack10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mdjack10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mdjack10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mdjack10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mdjack10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mdjack10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mdjack10 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I can't imagine it will apply directly to you starting at 115 pounds. Just lift and eat right and see where it takes you.

StrongME2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongME2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongME2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongME2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongME2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongME2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongME2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongME2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongME2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongME2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongME2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    stop being nervous..go for it.

DomSquadd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Man, analysis paralysis sucks. I know the feeling.

You should start somewhere simple (a linear progression plan, or if you prefer, any program that seems okay to you) and then adjust as time goes on. The problem right now is that you don't know how your body will respond to training, so your information is imbalanced.

You can research a ton about how different programs, exercises, diets, etc. CAN affect different people depending on their goals/predisposition, but if you don't have a clear sense of your goals/predispositions then you can't really make an informed decision.

Keep it simple, start something you can manage, and go from there.

pkarmy76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pkarmy76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pkarmy76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pkarmy76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pkarmy76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pkarmy76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pkarmy76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pkarmy76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pkarmy76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pkarmy76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pkarmy76 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    DEEP BREATH!

You are worried about how much muscle you will gain and you haven't started yet. Don't let thoughts and worries about the future (which hasn't happened) prevent you from getting to the gym. You are 21 for goodness sakes! And at 5'11 and 115 you are tiny. Eat right and start lifting smart. You will make dramatic progress if your diet is in check and you have a good beginning routine.

Let the results come. The way your acting, you will never start and 50 years from now still obsessing. Focus your obsessions into eating the right foods, strict form, and consistency.

IT won't be over night, but start now and in six months you will be extremely happy.