futbol24x7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry Radial head replacement recovery and exercises

What's up everyone!

I was wondering if some of you that underwent this awful radial head replacement surgery can share and discuss your stories on your road to recovery. Whether it was years ago or even recently, feel free to share your story. It would be awesome if I could hear from those with a similar experience to see how you're doing these days. Sports/Physical Therapists or Rehabilitation experts in this field are more than welcome to share their comments/advice as well.

For those on the same boat as I am, how was recovery for you in the first few months, first year, anything after? I'm 1 month in since post-op and it has been tough as hell. After a terrible fall playing basketball, my surgeon discovered a Mason 3 elbow injury (unrepairable) which meant he had to cut off my radial head bone and replace it with a titanium screw for life. I'm an optimistic guy, was always athletic (running and weightlifting) but $hit happens obviously and it's good to know what others have been through. A little bummed out here but I am ready to work as hard as I can in order to fully recover.

I'm wondering if you guys have been able to do any normal weightlifting again. Or even basic stuff like pushups, dips, pullups, running? If so, when did you guys start doing these exercisesWhat exercises have been helpful, which have been less painful and which -- if any -- have you avoided?

Any advice or tips you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

101bluey is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi futbol24x7,
    I had a similar combination of breaks and surgery to yourself after a cycling accident in 2004. The first radial head op failed due to the size of the inplant(to big). The second titanium radial head has been in for 12 years now.

Three times over that time Iv'e tried to get back in the gym and do some light weight training and each time has ended with my arm back in a sling. Normally within a 2 to 4 weeks. The issue is, the radial head slides inside the radius bone and calcify into place. So if you apply enough pressure (which seemingly isn't a lot) or you give it a good knock, you can shunt it or knock it loose. Weight bearing exercise on a elbow with damaged joint and cartilage will also hasten arthritis and further deterioration of the joint. If you must go, stick to legs, Light lat pulldowns, pec deck. Avoid Bench Press, triceps and biceps exercises. If you live by the water try kayaking and stand up paddle boarding(Paddle with your back and shoulders, keeping your elbows locked into position, as much as possible) . Cycling is another good one - try not to fall off.

Hope this Helps,

Regards,
    Bluey

cherven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi,

I had a surgery in March 2018 and now in the end of November I'm still working on my extension and bending.

I'm wondering how you guys are doing 2 and 4 years after surgery.
    Wondering if you tried swimming.

jmaxeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmaxeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmaxeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had mine done in August. My OT has be doing bi and tri exercises 3x week. Not suppose to do more than 10lbs. I still do not have full extension. Doc says I’ll always have 25lb limitation and no presses... any thoughts ? Following thread
    Trying to get bigger, faster, and stronger.

What have you done today to make yourself better?

jchadwickc is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    In May of 2021 I had a radial head replacement on my right elbow along with a plate and 7 screws installed in my right ulna after a motorcycle wreck (39yrs old). I was told to never bench press or do push ups again. In September of 2022 I decided to see exactly what my limits really were and started lifting again. Took a while to get the strength back up on my right side (I’m a dominant Lefty), but I’m now running my 4th cycle of 5-3-1 BBB and my bench is back up to 210 for 11 last week. I do dips regularly also. When I started benching again I had to use a football bar for the first couple of months, but Ive since moved back to my Texas Power Bar. Granted this isn't pain free, but I’m hyper conscious of how my elbow is doing and will back off if I feel the need. The only thing that it wholeheartedly doesn’t agree with is curls. Gonna keep pushing as long as I can. Hope this helps.