elgin1336 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elgin1336 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Flat Bench Plateau Need Advice

Ok so for the last 3-4 weeks I have pretty much been on a plateau regarding flat bench, I start with 175 x 8, then 185 x 8, then 195 x 6, and then on 205 ive been stuck on 3-4.

For the rest of my chest workout I do DB press, Incline Machine Press, Dips, and Pec Fly

Do I need to incorporate some decline activity into my workout or am I simply spending too much time on the warm-up sets for BP (the 175 and 185 specifically), or could it be neither of those and maybe there is some problem I am not thinking of. Any advice would help, thanks for all feedback.

Murk Mags has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Murk Mags has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Murk Mags has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Murk Mags has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Murk Mags has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Murk Mags has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Murk Mags has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Murk Mags has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Murk Mags has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Murk Mags has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Murk Mags has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Incorporate DB presses (incline, flat, decline). Also, I heard putting chains on the end of the bars weighing 15 lbs each will help with a plataeu.
    Experience is the hardest teacher you will ever have in your life. Experience likes to give the test before the lesson.

Shall Not be infringed...
    How many god given and personal freedoms are you willing to forfeit to feel "secure"?

RN here, PM any health questions. Also, if you need somebody to talk to in a time of need, send a PM! Always willing to help others.

elgin1336 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elgin1336 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Murk Mags View Post
    Incorporate DB presses (incline, flat, decline). Also, I heard putting chains on the end of the bars weighing 15 lbs each will help with a plataeu.
    Never heard of the chains thing but DB presses im already doing

Back from 2 year break! Atheimetal's Avatar
    Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Don't do two "flat" exercises. If you want to keep benching, do flat bench, decline, incline, dips, flies, or some of those. You could also try eliminating flat bench for a little bit and go hard on decline, incline, dips and flies. You could transition to dumbbells and do flat dumbbell along with incline and decline dumbbell. Again, dips are always good.. just switch it up. Do some different things.

Originally Posted by Atheimetal View Post
    Don't do two "flat" exercises. If you want to keep benching, do flat bench, decline, incline, dips, flies, or some of those. You could also try eliminating flat bench for a little bit and go hard on decline, incline, dips and flies. You could transition to dumbbells and do flat dumbbell along with incline and decline dumbbell. Again, dips are always good.. just switch it up. Do some different things.
    This makes a lot of sense, I doubt I'll stop doing flat bench but i might trade out flat db presses for decline db presses

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    your body's prob bored of it... and u sound like a flat bench bunny...
    do other angles first, start off with incline ( bar or dumbell or both) then do dips and maybe leave flat till last if at all, give it a break for a while.
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MrSinister View Post
    your body's prob bored of it... and u sound like a flat bench bunny...
    do other angles first, start off with incline ( bar or dumbell or both) then do dips and maybe leave flat till last if at all, give it a break for a while.
    x2. You need to shock your body by changing something (exercises, rep ranges etc.).
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

wimp2pimp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wimp2pimp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wimp2pimp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wimp2pimp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wimp2pimp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wimp2pimp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wimp2pimp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wimp2pimp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wimp2pimp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wimp2pimp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wimp2pimp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Same here. I've been stuck on mine for about 3 weeks. But I'm on the rippetoe program and every says to not incorporate your own exercises to the program, and just do it as is.

Also, how big a role does diet play in helping your lifts go up? Im under the impression that eating a lot more is only for those who wants to put on a lot of mass. What if someone wants to stay the same size, but become stronger?

ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    if you expect to keep going up in weights every week your stupid.

My advice, dont add weight until you do 8 reps
    175x8
    185x8
    195x6 and work your way to 8, then add 2.5lbs each side until u get 8 again.
    195x whatever
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Your King

jocktheglide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jocktheglide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jocktheglide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jocktheglide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jocktheglide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jocktheglide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jocktheglide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jocktheglide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jocktheglide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jocktheglide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jocktheglide is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ITHURTZ View Post

\
    its his right to dream....

ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    dreaming doesnt put muscle on your frame

Your King

skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Eat more
    "God has landed on this enemy-occupied world in human form...The perfect surrender and humiliation was undergone by Christ: perfect because He was God, surrender and humiliation because He was man."
    -C.S. Lewis

"Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..."
    -C.S. Lewis

My WS4BB Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1131121

The_Diesel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Diesel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Diesel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Diesel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Like everybody said before, You have to keep your body guessing at least a little bit. Change things up every 4 weeks. Don't always go to flat bench first. Also like ITHURTZ said, decide on your reps and keep them. I have never heard of the 8,8,6,3 workout.
    Try throwing the lighter weight on and rep 8,8,8,8, then after a couple weeks go down to 5,5,5,5, Obviously if you are doing reps of 5,5,5,5 with heavier weight, after your body gets adjusted to this, the weight you're doing for your reps of 8 will increase.

How are you even determining that your bench is plateaued? Do you have an idea of what your max is? Maybe try maxin' out, and then base it on that.

Another idea is that I would NOT consider 175 a warm up, if 205 is your last set of 3. That is WAY to heavy for you to be warming up with.

I would try something like this, 135x10-15....Dont Exhaust yourself in your warm up... I know guys that are doin' 315x10 on there last set and they do 2 warm ups at 135x15 before they even consider getting into their lifts.
    If you cant get 135x15, don't be afraid to go down to 115, its just meant to warm your muscles up....

Thats alot of information, but I think that if you don't want to change your reps, at least conserve some energy during your warm up.

wimp2pimp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wimp2pimp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wimp2pimp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wimp2pimp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wimp2pimp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wimp2pimp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wimp2pimp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wimp2pimp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wimp2pimp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wimp2pimp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wimp2pimp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ITHURTZ View Post

My advice, dont add weight until you do 8 reps
    175x8
    185x8
    195x6 and work your way to 8, then add 2.5lbs each side until u get 8 again.
    195x whatever
    sounds like some common sense. You think everyone goes there to put on weights everyday? Like w1: 225x5x3 w2. 235x4x2 w3 245x3x1 w4 255x0 w5 266x0??

i think everyone does exactly what you're saying, and when they say they are at a plataeu, they did exactly what you did, but are stuck.

johnny87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnny87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnny87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnny87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnny87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnny87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnny87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnny87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnny87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnny87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnny87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    weighted dips

ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Slow negative only lifting might help you bust through the plateau. You'll need a training partner.

POWER_HOUSE_69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) POWER_HOUSE_69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) POWER_HOUSE_69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) POWER_HOUSE_69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) POWER_HOUSE_69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) POWER_HOUSE_69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) POWER_HOUSE_69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) POWER_HOUSE_69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) POWER_HOUSE_69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) POWER_HOUSE_69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) POWER_HOUSE_69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    just keep changing the movements you start with. eg 2 weeks with flat bench, 2 weeks with incline db etc. also make sure to train the lats and triceps hard as well
    BW- 275
    Age- 18

Current Best Competition Lifts/Maxes-
    Bench- 485
    Squat- 700
    Deadlift- 695

Total- 1880

Originally Posted by POWER_HOUSE_69 View Post
    just keep changing the movements you start with. eg 2 weeks with flat bench, 2 weeks with incline db etc. also make sure to train the lats and triceps hard as well
    gotta listen to the strong man.

Overreach, rest, repeat.. stracin's Avatar
    stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    So you are doing all kinds of exercises, your progress has stopped and everyone is tellign you to add more, shock teh muscles and use different angles.....please.

Maybe you should search overtraining and recovery. As a matter of fact, vikingman just did a good writeup on this. Check it out.

Originally Posted by stracin View Post
    So you are doing all kinds of exercises, your progress has stopped and everyone is tellign you to add more, shock teh muscles and use different angles.....please.

Maybe you should search overtraining and recovery. As a matter of fact, vikingman just did a good writeup on this. Check it out.
    See but I'm increasing on everything besides flat bench, as far as overtraining goes im taking a week-2 weeks off this spring break

again if you expect to gain on everything quit now. then your going to make a post after 2 weeks off getting drunk and wonder why your bench went down 20lbs

Your King

Whiteheart is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Whiteheart is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Whiteheart is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Whiteheart is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Whiteheart is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Whiteheart is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Whiteheart is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Whiteheart is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Whiteheart is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Whiteheart is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Whiteheart is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I dont really bench too much but I mostly use dbs and Im kinda stuck at 195 for 8 or 205 for 3-5. Im gonna try 90s for 10 tomorrow which seems much more impressive than 205 for 3-5.

But dumbells do help ALOT.
    db shoulder press : can get the 115s up
    db bench: 125 x 10 x 4.
    bulking to 200 even if it kills me.

Originally Posted by Whiteheart View Post
    I dont really bench too much but I mostly use dbs and Im kinda stuck at 195 for 8 or 205 for 3-5. Im gonna try 90s for 10 tomorrow which seems much more impressive than 205 for 3-5.

But dumbells do help ALOT.
    your a smart one

Your King

dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    none of those sets are really warm ups, with the poss. exception of 175. the rest are basically work sets. maybe do 195x1 before 205, but x6 and you're wearing your muscles out if you're trying to get up as much as possible.

skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by elgin1336 View Post
    Ok so for the last 3-4 weeks I have pretty much been on a plateau regarding flat bench, I start with 175 x 8, then 185 x 8, then 195 x 6, and then on 205 ive been stuck on 3-4.

For the rest of my chest workout I do DB press, Incline Machine Press, Dips, and Pec Fly

Do I need to incorporate some decline activity into my workout or am I simply spending too much time on the warm-up sets for BP (the 175 and 185 specifically), or could it be neither of those and maybe there is some problem I am not thinking of. Any advice would help, thanks for all feedback.
    If you wanna get a stronger bench try training in the low rep (1-3) range. This will be very taxing on your CNS however so do not do it for a long time. Also, make sure you eat enough, sleep enough, conjugate lifts (switch lifts every few weeks or so), eat more, eat more, and eat more !!!
    "God has landed on this enemy-occupied world in human form...The perfect surrender and humiliation was undergone by Christ: perfect because He was God, surrender and humiliation because He was man."
    -C.S. Lewis

"Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..."
    -C.S. Lewis

My WS4BB Journal

hotshotts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    change your bench reps. Go heavy weights at few reps. maybe also some drop sets. Then do some rows. I got stuck and changed my bench and now i am pushing big weight around

Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by elgin1336 View Post

Well, if you have been on a plateau for 4 weeks, you are overtraining and doing the same thing over and over again.

I suggest you take a week break from bench press...then start on a new routine. Try using DB's instead of BB for a little while. Try weighted dips.

Another thing I noticed is that you do too many sets with too similar weights...instead of going up only 10 pounds...start at 135, go to 155, then 185, then 205, then 225.

Originally Posted by smj5351 View Post
    Well, if you have been on a plateau for 4 weeks, you are overtraining and doing the same thing over and over again.

I suggest you take a week break from bench press...then start on a new routine. Try using DB's instead of BB for a little while. Try weighted dips.

Another thing I noticed is that you do too many sets with too similar weights...instead of going up only 10 pounds...start at 135, go to 155, then 185, then 205, then 225.
    agreed. Take a week off. Readjust your training program then get back at it. Also, if you dont EAT MORE then you will not make gains. Its that simple.
    -C.S. Lewis

-C.S. Lewis

My WS4BB Journal

Tonking has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tonking has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tonking has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tonking has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tonking has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tonking has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tonking has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tonking has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tonking has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tonking has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tonking has a spectacular aura about. (+250)