GBA13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Planning to redo Starting Strength but have no spotter

Hi Everyone,

I've taken a couple of years off but am looking to get back into the swing of things. I'm thinking the best thing is to redo SS (or maybe 5x5..) but I have no spotter and am a bit bit concerned re: squat and bench press.

For the squat I am hoping to find a power rack so that should be fine. If I can't I was thinking about a Smith Machine (I've never used one, I know they aren't well liked but are they really that bad?)

For the bench I was thinking about swapping it to DB press. What do you guys think of that?

Cheers everyone, it's good to be back.

yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Was just reading SS and Rippetoe is clear on the smith machine, you cannot perform a squat on it. Either go Goblet squats or get comfortable failing in a rack, letting the barbell rest on the safety catch at the bottom.

DB bench is fine if you really can't get someone to spot barbell.
    Always proud, never satisfied.
    ymzee.tumblr.com

*Disregard everything, acquire aesthetics crew*
    *Always swipes right crew*

GBA13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by yomillzee View Post
    Was just reading SS and Rippetoe is clear on the smith machine, you cannot perform a squat on it. Either go Goblet squats or get comfortable failing in a rack, letting the barbell rest on the safety catch at the bottom.

DB bench is fine if you really can't get someone to spot barbell.
    Thanks for the reply man. I've actually never heard of goblet squats but just looked them up. How are they considered compared to standard BB squats?

bhurlburt will become famous soon enough. (+50) bhurlburt will become famous soon enough. (+50) bhurlburt will become famous soon enough. (+50) bhurlburt will become famous soon enough. (+50) bhurlburt will become famous soon enough. (+50) bhurlburt will become famous soon enough. (+50) bhurlburt will become famous soon enough. (+50) bhurlburt will become famous soon enough. (+50) bhurlburt will become famous soon enough. (+50) bhurlburt will become famous soon enough. (+50) bhurlburt will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have over a 1,400lbs total and have literally never had a spotter. You'll be fine.
    Bench: 385

Squat: 505

Deadlift: 585

Lift it RAW!

Total= 1,475

yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You're looking at more of a Front Squat when you Goblet, meaning more Quad, less posterior chain use. I like them because I can get low, use a wider stance, and work on form. Ideally you'd want to do a back squat for SS because Mark is all about those glutes and hammies. But if you're worried about failure there are options.

Work on form and strength, when comfortable with it all, I'd man up and take it to the rack with barbells.
    Always proud, never satisfied.
    ymzee.tumblr.com

*Disregard everything, acquire aesthetics crew*
    *Always swipes right crew*