Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Weekend:
    Saturday was on point, may have been a little high on calories but definitely in keto.

Sunday: was low cal and in keto up until dinner which was my weekly carb up. I had pizza and wings and brownies.

hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hedrickbl will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Monday - Week 4

Nutrition:
    Coffee
    half & Half
    mct powder

8 oz turkey breast
    3 oz swiss cheese
    1 monster

4 oz ribeye steak
    1 cup brussel sprouts

Totals:
    Cals - 890
    Net Carbs - 27
    Fat - 53
    Protein - 81

Training:
    Bench - (5/3/1) week
    incline Bench - 115 x 10 x 5
    Pull ups - max x 3
    seated row - 130 x 10 x 3
    incline curl - fat gripz - 20 x 15 x 3
    hammer curl - fat gripz - 30 x 10 x 3
    skull crushers - 95 x 10 x 3
    rope tri extension - 9? x 15 x 3

Notes:
    Those calories are WAY low!!!

Tuesday

Nutrition:
    coffee
    cream
    mct powder

8 oz turkey breast
    3 oz chedar cheese
    2 scoops ON whey

8 oz ground beef
    2 oz chedar cheese
    6 tbs peanut butter

Totals:
    Cals - 2221
    Net carbs - 46
    Fat - 140
    Protein - 193

Training:
    Interval Run - 3.4 mile - 38 min - min=1:30 - max=1:37
    TRX
    Chest press
    plank
    side plank
    atomic pushup
    row series
    incline sit ups

Notes:
    Peanut butter got me on the carbs but I was freaking starving. Should have gone with the cheese. Cals are still in line so no real damage done.

Wednesday

Nutrition:
    coffee
    heavy whipping cream
    mct powder

1 oz white chedar
    5 oz swiss
    6 oz 85% ground beef

8 oz curried chicken
    2 tbs peanut butter
    1 monster

Totals:
    Cals - 1995
    Net Carbs - 52 - not sure how accurate this is, no good data on curry
    Fat - 109
    Protein - 197

Training:
    Dead - 5/3/1
    Squat - 135 x 10 x 5
    sit ups - 25/25/20/20/20
    preacher curl
    overhead rope extension
    concentration curl
    rev grip tri extension

Update

It has been a bit since my last update. I have stayed in keto, just been busy with life.

I am trying something a bit different just to see how it goes. I am only eating 1 meal a day to try to get the most out of keto. It started yesterday by accident and I think I am going to try it for a 3 weeks to see what happens.

Wednesday Nutrition - not good, went crazy with peanut butter
    Total cals - 2684
    Net carbs - 48
    Fat - 234
    Protein - 102

I just ordered some more mct powder and ketoforce along with other supps. Those 2 things alone make a huge difference with my mood and mental agility.

Thursday

Nutrition:
    Cals - 1674
    Net carbs - 22
    Fat - 125
    Protein - 111

Training
    20 min on stair climber - 66 flights
    Shoulder Giant Set
    front raise
    side raise
    rear fly

shrugs
    Super Set
    ez bar curl
    wrist curl

FRIDAY MORNING WEIGHT

I am going to try to remember to get fresh starting numbers Monday morning to better track this phase of the experiment.

Well, that didn't work

My experiment with eating only dinner did not go so well. It got to the point where I was so hungry that I was cramming 3000 calories into one meal. I made it 2 weeks and decided that was enough. Weight lost =0 inches lost =0. I think it is fine for a few days intermittently but it is not something I can sustain for long.

I am back to keto coffee for breakfast and then real food for lunch and dinner.
    I am still on the 5/3/1 BBB lifting plan for my main lifts.

Nutrition goals:
    Calories = 2300
    Carbs = <30
    Protein = 230

Restart Stats:
    Weight: 231.4
    Waist: 38

Monday Nutrition:
    Total Calories: 1838
    Net Carbs: 27
    Fat: 115
    Protein: 174

Training:
    chest/back/arms

Active calories:
    Last edited by hedrickbl; 09-28-2016 at 12:55 PM. Reason: ac

NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hedrickbl View Post
    My experiment with eating only dinner did not go so well. It got to the point where I was so hungry that I was cramming 3000 calories into one meal. I made it 2 weeks and decided that was enough. Weight lost =0 inches lost =0. I think it is fine for a few days intermittently but it is not something I can sustain for long.

I am back to keto coffee for breakfast and then real food for lunch and dinner.
    I am still on the 5/3/1 BBB lifting plan for my main lifts.

Nutrition goals:
    Calories = 2300
    Carbs = <30
    Protein = 230

Restart Stats:
    Weight: 231.4
    Waist: 38

Monday Nutrition:
    Total Calories: 1838
    Net Carbs: 27
    Fat: 115
    Protein: 174

Training:
    chest/back/arms
    with that much protein you will almost certainly be going through gluconeogenesis

are you worried about that at all?
    insta www.instagram.com/strongbanter
    lifting log https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164163411

Originally Posted by NickelArse View Post
    with that much protein you will almost certainly be going through gluconeogenesis

are you worried about that at all?
    Yes and no, I almost never hit that target and usually wind up around 180g. I am not as worried about staying in deep keto as I once was due to the fact that simply being in keto does not really affect my body comp any longer. I am trying to reduce calories/stay in keto and maintain or build mass simultaneously which is also turning out to be tricky. I would like to reduce body fat but increasing strength and lean mass is my primary target at this time.

Tuesday, Week 1

Nutrition:
    Total Cals - 2372
    Net Carbs - 20
    Fat - 190
    Protein - 140

Training:
    1.5 mile run - 14:30 (Usually 3.8 but stomach problem forced me to stop early or leave streaks on the track lol)
    Giant Set:
    DB front raise
    DB side raise
    DB rear fly
    50lb farmers carry - 1 lap
    DB shrugs - 65x12x3

Active calories:

Notes:
    I picked up a stomach issue this weekend which really hit me hard Monday night. I had some residual effects Tuesday which changed my workout to a short run and no abs training. Seem to be doing better today which is good with squats being assistance training for today.
    Last edited by hedrickbl; 09-28-2016 at 12:54 PM. Reason: active calories

NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickelArse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes and no, I almost never hit that target and usually wind up around 180g. I am not as worried about staying in deep keto as I once was due to the fact that simply being in keto does not really affect my body comp any longer. I am trying to reduce calories/stay in keto and maintain or build mass simultaneously which is also turning out to be tricky. I would like to reduce body fat but increasing strength and lean mass is my primary target at this time.
    Just my 2 cents worth but if I was you I would consider splitting my goals in 2, which is what I am doing at the moment.

Phase 1 would be using keto to lose weight an obtain a body fat percentage that you are satisfied with.

Once that is achieved then you can start worrying about adding size and strength. I would advise at this point you can start adding more and more carbs into your diet as they are most certainly performance enhancing. At this point you would be using calorie control to ensure your strength and size gains aren't accompanied by excessive body fat gains.

Trying to gain muscle and strength whilst simultaneously losing body fat is pretty difficult unless you are on dat dere cell tech.

I went that rout a few times and always loose ALOT of lean mass/strength. I have figured out I am able to "clean bulk" on keto and not increase my BF% significantly if I bump calories up to 3000+ and stay in ketosis. Dropping BF% is still a trick I can not get figured out at this point. I used to cut weight fairly easily but now I am just stuck at 230. I bounce around a lb or 2 up or down but really no change.

I went that rout a few times and always loose ALOT of lean mass/strength. I have figured out I am able to "clean bulk" on keto and not increase my BF% significantly if I bump calories up to 3000+ and stay in ketosis. Dropping BF% is still a trick I can not get figured out at this point. I used to cut weight fairly easily but now I am just stuck at 230. I bounce around a lb or 2 up or down but really no change.
    Fair enough

My advice if you ever get serious about wanting to drop some body fat without sacrificing strength/muscle mass is just to slowly reduce your calories one week at a time until you find yourself losing 1 pound per week, this type of slow weight loss is very unlikely to have a detrimental impact on size or strength.

In the past I have set myself calorie limits that in retrospect were too high and I don't end up losing weight. This is due to there being anomalies in your TDEE that can only be worked out with trial and error.

Any way good luck man, hope you're enjoying the keto life

Originally Posted by NickelArse View Post
    Fair enough

My advice if you ever get serious about wanting to drop some body fat without sacrificing strength/muscle mass is just to slowly reduce your calories one week at a time until you find yourself losing 1 pound per week, this type of slow weight loss is very unlikely to have a detrimental impact on size or strength.

In the past I have set myself calorie limits that in retrospect were too high and I don't end up losing weight. This is due to there being anomalies in your TDEE that can only be worked out with trial and error.

Any way good luck man, hope you're enjoying the keto life
    Thanks brother, I appreciate the insight. You are right of course, about the slower fat loss. I need to do better at moderation and not going so extreme. Thanks again and please feel free to chime in with any insight you have. It is always helpful to have outside eyes review your data.

Wednesday - W1

Nutrition:
    Total Cals - 2616
    Net carbs - 36
    Fat - 190
    Protein - 166

Training:
    Dead Lift - 5/3/1
    Squat - 145x10x5
    TRX Chest Press - 15x5
    Situps - 25x5
    EZ Bar Preacher Curl - 75x10x3
    Overhead rope extension - 65x12x3
    DB Hammer Curl - 40x8x3
    Rev grip cable tri ext - 25x10x3

Active cals:

Tthursday - w1

Nutrition:
    Total cals - 2263
    Net carbs - 33
    Fat - 164
    Protein - 163

Active Calories:

Net Calories:

Training:
    3 mile tempo run - 32 min
    standing BB press - 115x6x2
    seated DB press - 45x6x2
    Super set
    seated side raise - 25x8x3
    standing BB press - 115x3x2
    Giant set
    standing side raise - 20x8x3
    seated alt front raise - 20x8x3 w/ drop sets
    incline rear flies - 15x8x3 w/ drop sets

Question Week 1 - metrics tracking

Starting stats:
    Weight - 231.4
    Waist - 38

Week 1 stats:
    Weight - max=231.4; min=228.0; avg=229.7
    Waist - loose=38.5; flex(not sucking in)=37.5

Calorie intake:
    M - gross=1837; net=1487
    T - g=2371; n=1793
    W - g=2616; n=1622
    TH - g=2262; n=859

Not enough data to draw conclusions at this point.

Weekend 1

Friday
    Nutrition:
    Total cals - 1478
    Net carbs - 42
    Fat - 108
    Protein - 88

Active cals -775

Net cals - 703

Training:
    Squat - 5/3/1
    Dead - 170x10x5
    pushup/situp drills - 5/10 x 6
    arms

Saturday
    Refeed day - no stats

Sunday
    Nutrition:
    Total Cals - 1739
    Net Carbs - 36
    Fat - 133
    Protein - 95

Active cals - 78

Net Cals - 1661

Monday-W2

Nutrition:
    Total Cals - 2309
    Net Carbs - 38
    Fat - 186
    Protein - 125

Active Cals - 350
    Net Cals - 1959

Training:
    Bench - deload week - x*5*3
    TRX chest press - 15x5
    Pull Ups - +20xMax(8/6/5)
    Seated Row - 170x10x3
    Incline curl w/fat grips ex - 35x8x3
    Hammer Curl w/fat grips ex - 35x8x3
    Skull crushers w/rocker - 105x8x3
    Rope tri extensions w/flare - 12? x 12 x 3
    Wrist Curl - 105x10x3
    Rev wrist curl - 95x15x3
    TRX Planks - 5x15 sec

Lightbulb Training Goals

I am currently prepping for a fitness test in November so my workouts are tailored more towards pushups and situps at the moment. That being said, here is my priority list for body parts:

1. Shoulders
    2. Traps
    3. Lats
    4. Arms

These are hit in my assistance work section and I am sticking with 5/3/1 for another month. At which point, I will re-test my 1 RM again and evaluate if the training program is worth continuing.

Tuesday-W2

Nutrition:
    Total cals - 2373
    Net Carbs - 38
    Fat - 203
    Protein - 107

Active Cals - 843

Net Cals - 1530

Weight:

Training:
    3.6 mile interval run - 34:27 - 0.2 mi max - 1:34 - 0.2 mi min - 1:29 - 0.2 mi avg - 1:30
    DB shrugs - 75x12x3
    BB Back shrugs - 365x8x3
    DB Incline shrugs - 50x10x3

Notes:
    This was by best interval run yet, my first and last set were above 1:30 but the other 7 were 1:29 or 1:30.
    My weight on post run days in usually spiked, we will see what tomorrow morning looks like but I am getting extremely frustrated. My weight and waist are not changing despite staying in keto and calorie restriction. I'm not sure if im eating too much or not enough now that I am tracking active calories, I am usually good on my Gross cals but some of the Net cals seem extremely low.

I ran the reddit keto calculator and here are the results. I am going to adjust my goals to reflect these results as I need to start making some progress.

Your Personal Results

Here are your personal macros:
    2217 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    25 g Carbs (5%, 100 kcal)
    110 g Protein (20%, 440 kcal)
    186 g Fat (75%, 1677 kcal)

Weight Maintainence
    2771 kcal
    Ratio Calories
    Maintainence Calories 2,771
    Your Target
    2217 kcal
    19.8%75.6%
    Ratio Calories
    Fat 1,677
    Protein 440
    Carbohydrate 100
    Deficit
    554 kcal
    Ratio Calories
    Deficit Calories 554

If you stick to 25g of carbs, 110g protein, and 186g fat, you will eat 2217kcal and lose 2.1kg (4.6lbs) in the first month.

This is based on a weight of 230 @ 22% bf. I don't have a great measurement on my BF, I am going above what the Army says my BF is just to be safe. I used moderate activity as my TDEE setting as I workout 5 days a week and my active calories can be seen on my daily tracking.

Thumbs up Wednesday - W2

Nutrition:
    Meal 1
    2 cups coffee
    4 tbs heavy cream
    2 scoops mct powder

kc-325; nc-4; f-34; p-1

Meal 2
    5 1400 mg fish oil
    2 scoops mct powder
    4 amino tabs

kc-223; nc-1; f-23; p-5

Meal 3
    196g roast beef
    2 tillamook chedar cheese sticks
    3 string cheese sticks

kc-665; nc-4; f-43; p-67

Meal 4
    .25 cup pecans
    4 cups sping mix lettuce
    1 oz goat cheese
    5 tbs greek dressing
    6 oz venison steak

kc-809; nc-8; f-56; p-62

Totals
    kcals-2022
    Net carbs - 17
    Fat - 159
    Protein - 135

Active calories - 989
    Net calories - 1033

Weight - 229.0

Training:
    Deadlift - deload week - 5x3
    Squats - 145x10x5
    Situps - 25x5
    Pushups - 20x5
    Chest pullups - max x 3
    1 arm Preacher Machine curls - 65x12x3
    Overhead rope press - 75x12x3
    Hammer curls - 45x8x3
    Rev Grip cable tri ext - 30x10x3

1.7 mile walk w/40 lb weight vest - 28:58

Thumbs up Thursday - W2

Nutrition:
    Meal 1
    2 cups coffee
    2 scoops MCT Powder
    4 TBS heavy cream

kc-325; nc-4; f-34; p-1

Meal 2
    4 amino tabs
    2 scoops MCT powder
    5 1400 mg fish oil tabs

kc-223; nc-1; f-23; p-5

Meal 3
    6 oz grilled pork chop
    6 string cheese sticks

kc-1102; nc-0; f-72; p-104

Meal 4
    6 oz grilled chicken breast
    1 cup roasted broccoli

kc-211; nc-4; f-3; p-41

Meal 5
    4 TBS chunky peanut butter

kc-380; nc-10; f-32; p-14

Totals:
    KCals - 2241
    Net carbs - 10
    Fat - 164
    Protein - 165

Active calories - 898
    Net calories - 1343

Training:
    3 mile run - 30:02
    Superset
    seated DB press - 55x6x2
    standing BB press - 115x6x2
    Superset
    seated side raise - 20x8x3
    standing bb press - 115x6x2
    Giant set
    standing side raise - 20x8x3
    seated front raise w/ drop - 25x8x3
    incline rear fly w/ drop - 20x8x3

Notes:
    1. It was another good run time considering the tiny track I am running on. I think that the 2 scoops of MCT with the exogenous ketones are giving me more energy to push my runs harder.
    2. I am starting to develop pain in the inside of my right knee, I am definitely too heavy for running fast but don't really have a choice.

Lightbulb Week 2 - Metrics Tracking

Starting weight:
    Week 1 avg - 229.7
    Week 2 avg - 229.7

Waist:
    Week 1 - 37.5
    Week 2 - 37.5

Calorie Summary:
    M - G=2308; N=1960
    T - G=2373; N=1530
    W - G=2021; N=1032
    TH - G=2240; N=1341

Weekend 2

Friday:
    Nutrition:
    Gross cals - 2158
    Net carbs - 29
    Fat - 152
    Protein - 168

Active cals - 981
    Net cals - 1177

Saturday:
    Refeed day - no stats

Sunday:
    Nutrition:
    Gross cals - 1858
    Net carbs - 29
    Fat - 158
    Protein - 87

Active cals - 347
    Net cals - 1511

Monday-W3

Nutrition:
    coffee
    mct powder
    heavy cream

mct powder
    fish oil

ham
    cheese sticks

zero noodles
    pasta sauce
    hamburger
    sausage
    egg
    maynaise
    lettuce
    peanut butter

Totals:
    Gross Calories - 2182
    Net carbs - 36
    Fat - 166
    Protein - 129

Active cals - 550
    Net cals - 1632

Training:
    Bench - 5x3
    Pull ups - 20 x max x 3
    TRX push ups - max x 4
    TRX plank 15x4
    Last edited by hedrickbl; 10-11-2016 at 12:53 PM. Reason: active cals

Tuesday-W2

I was rocking keto all day, then... ate a piece of birthday cake at dinner. I immediately regretted it. I woke up at 1:30 and felt like my whole body was on fire, I was super dehydrated. I pounded 2 yeti cups of water and went back to bed and woke up this morning dehydrated again and have been pounding water. It feels like my body is trying to purge the sugar, like when you drink too much. I have had something similar in the past from eating carbs but never to this degree. My hands are really swolen at the moment as well. Ah, the wages of sin!

Tuesday-W2 details

Nutrition:
    Gross cals - 2770
    Net Carbs - 67
    Fat - 217
    Protein - 138

Active cals - 602
    Net cals - 2168

Training:
    3 mile run - 29:30
    Stopani Boulder Shoulder workout