teenguru88 is just really nice. (+1000) teenguru88 is just really nice. (+1000) teenguru88 is just really nice. (+1000) teenguru88 is just really nice. (+1000) teenguru88 is just really nice. (+1000) teenguru88 is just really nice. (+1000) teenguru88 is just really nice. (+1000) teenguru88 is just really nice. (+1000) teenguru88 is just really nice. (+1000) teenguru88 is just really nice. (+1000) teenguru88 is just really nice. (+1000)

Help getting to 500lb raw bench

Currently, my bench is at 405 for 4 reps raw and my goal is to get it to 500lbs. I've basically been making up my own programs since 7th grade, but I'd like to try something new that I might respond better to. Any help would be great, thanks.

EasternHammer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EasternHammer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EasternHammer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EasternHammer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EasternHammer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EasternHammer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EasternHammer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EasternHammer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EasternHammer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EasternHammer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EasternHammer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by teenguru88 View Post
    Currently, my bench is at 405 for 4 reps raw and my goal is to get it to 500lbs. I've basically been making up my own programs since 7th grade, but I'd like to try something new that I might respond better to. Any help would be great, thanks.
    Well, it makes sense for you to tell us what has worked for you in the past, and what you perceive as your weaknesses in the bench press, so we can give the best advice. Start there.

teenguru88 is just really nice. (+1000) teenguru88 is just really nice. (+1000) teenguru88 is just really nice. (+1000) teenguru88 is just really nice. (+1000) teenguru88 is just really nice. (+1000) teenguru88 is just really nice. (+1000) teenguru88 is just really nice. (+1000) teenguru88 is just really nice. (+1000) teenguru88 is just really nice. (+1000) teenguru88 is just really nice. (+1000) teenguru88 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by EasternHammer View Post
    Well, it makes sense for you to tell us what has worked for you in the past, and what you perceive as your weaknesses in the bench press, so we can give the best advice. Start there.
    What I've been doing the past few months that has worked pretty well for me is 2 sets of singles followed by 3 sets of 4 rep pauses. I did 5x5 and a few other programs years ago. I work chest twice a week and every 3-4 weeks I take a full week off from benching. I don't do any accessory work for chest. My major weak point is that I like sticking with "bodybuilding form" for bench and I'd like to reach this goal with that form. Would a video of my form help show my weak points? I don't have anything current but I have a video of a 405 single from like 6 months ago.

ArmyWollfff has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArmyWollfff has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArmyWollfff has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArmyWollfff has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArmyWollfff has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArmyWollfff has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArmyWollfff has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArmyWollfff has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArmyWollfff has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArmyWollfff has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArmyWollfff has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    sounds like you've been doing low reps for awhile now. Not saying my bench is anywhere near yours, but what helped mine was switching up rep schemes. One workout I'd do low reps and pause reps such as you said, and then the next I'd do like 5-6 sets of a weight I could rep out for 10 times. Sounds simple but if you haven't done it yet I would suggest it. That and incorporate negatives into your routine. (Have a spotter lift the weight off of you and then you slowly lower it) Since we're naturally stronger in the eccentric portion, this should help increase your bench for given reasons.
    "he who says he can and he who says he can't are both usually right" - Confucius

zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP if you can bench 405 for 4 reps you're probably around a 440-450 bench. If you're still getting stronger, keep doing what you're doing until you stop getting stronger. It sounds like your volume is pretty low and eventually you'll stop responding to that and you'll need to increase that volume or start benching twice a week to achieve more volume.

Switching over to a more powerlifter type technique will get you to that 500 bench a whole lot faster and will probably protect your shoulders a little better.
    1708 total @220 Raw
    Improve my total every time I step on the platform.

Being a male is a matter of birth. However, being a "man" is a matter of choice.

Photo in Avi is not current, I'm way fatter now.

Here's a video of a 405 single from months ago. My form has gotten a lot better since then, but still needs a lot of work. I'll be getting a video of my more current form of 405 for 4 pretty soon, but for now please critique and help the form from this video.

Was a bit shakey in the video due to it being like 1 a.m after a really long day so i was loaded up on caffeine.

Was actually still 17 in this video lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TBD...ature=youtu.be

Also, I have a show not that far out so I'd really like to reach this goal before the deficit starts and not months after the show.

sup_jason will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_jason will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_jason will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_jason will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_jason will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_jason will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_jason will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_jason will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_jason will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_jason will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_jason will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Even though my number is nowhere near yours (1RM 325), the assistance exercise that I focus most on a weekly overall volume is dumbbell presses with a slight narrow width at the bottom of the movement. (Note: bring the dumbbells together at the end of every rep.) When I injured my right shoulder and dropped strength from 335 to <275 on January, I focused a lot on dumbbells. It helped tremendously. But seeing what you're pushing, hopefully your gym has at least 180lb dumbbells.
    Powerlifter/Bodybuilder
    1RM Sleeveless+Beltless PRs: 460/B:340/D:525

#teamforeverliftingalone

smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    are you wanting to do the 500 in a competition or just gym lift? If you want competition start working on pauses.

biggest thing is going to be avoiding injury , seems like you are making consistent gains, so keep grinding. Just listen to your body when to go full throttle and when to slow down. Focus on strengthening your chest shoulders and triceps on what ever accessories do that best for you.
    the only thing that slows me down is injuries. i know if my shoulder was 100% I could get to 500 in 2 months (best is 485)
    Best Raw total 1850 at 181 lbs
    best comp raw lifts @ 181
    squat 710
    bench 500
    deadlift 670
    "Lightest man to bench 500 raw in a full meet"
    my you tube channel of my training http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkt7CVJ7443k6Vu_1DwP3UA
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #9 ||---||
    ()---() York Barbell Club #81 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #81 []---[]

JackedMind will become famous soon enough. (+50) JackedMind will become famous soon enough. (+50) JackedMind will become famous soon enough. (+50) JackedMind will become famous soon enough. (+50) JackedMind will become famous soon enough. (+50) JackedMind will become famous soon enough. (+50) JackedMind will become famous soon enough. (+50) JackedMind will become famous soon enough. (+50) JackedMind will become famous soon enough. (+50) JackedMind will become famous soon enough. (+50) JackedMind will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If what you're saying is that your strength level has been stuck for a while I would say find out your weak point. It is either the bottom part of your bench or the top lock out part. If your weak part is the bottom than work in more pause reps to your routine as well as try purchasing mark bell's slingshot. It is great at providing assistance at the bottom and get you used to heavier weight. If your weak point is the top, then work in more close grip bench press and floor press for triceps lock out strength at the top.
    4 Years Lifting
    5'9" - 178lbs
    Rookie PowerLifter
    ----------
    Bench: 305lbs
    Squat: 395lbs
    Dead: 485lbs

mccloudlw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mccloudlw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mccloudlw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mccloudlw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mccloudlw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mccloudlw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mccloudlw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mccloudlw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mccloudlw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mccloudlw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mccloudlw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by JackedMind View Post
    If what you're saying is that your strength level has been stuck for a while I would say find out your weak point. It is either the bottom part of your bench or the top lock out part. If your weak part is the bottom than work in more pause reps to your routine as well as try purchasing mark bell's slingshot. It is great at providing assistance at the bottom and get you used to heavier weight. If your weak point is the top, then work in more close grip bench press and floor press for triceps lock out strength at the top.
    I like the slingshot a lot.
    455/305/505
    @logans_lifts

ChaosNYX will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChaosNYX will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChaosNYX will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChaosNYX will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChaosNYX will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChaosNYX will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChaosNYX will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChaosNYX will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChaosNYX will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChaosNYX will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChaosNYX will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What I've been doing the past few months that has worked pretty well for me is 2 sets of singles followed by 3 sets of 4 rep pauses. I did 5x5 and a few other programs years ago. I work chest twice a week and every 3-4 weeks I take a full week off from benching. I don't do any accessory work for chest. My major weak point is that I like sticking with "bodybuilding form" for bench and I'd like to reach this goal with that form. Would a video of my form help show my weak points? I don't have anything current but I have a video of a 405 single from like 6 months ago.
    Do you mind if I ask why you would prefer to stick with body building form? I'm assuming this means that your shoulders are more flared and maybe your back isn't arched as much? I think your probably talking about the flared elbows though?

If you wanna build muscle then you can (and probably should depending on the program) use assistance exercises. I wouldn't recommend it because it's not ideal for shoulder health but you can even do back off sets of the bench using your body building form after some heavy reps with a style more geared towards lifting max weights as safely as possible. If your shoulders don't bother you then great I guess.
    Last edited by ChaosNYX; 07-21-2016 at 05:10 PM.