Reply
Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 1389
  1. #181
    CEO 10k/yr y0lked's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Location: Sacramento, California, United States
    Posts: 11,786
    Rep Power: 23158
    y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    y0lked is offline
    Originally Posted by joenty View Post
    There is no particular movement that hurts me, however heavy military press did bother me the last time. Its a general discomfort around the neck and when I tried to check where actually the pain is originating from by poking with my finger, i found that both the traps and the area around infraspinatus muscle were hurting.
    I have stopped working traps and shoulders since then but I am afraid this might slow down my shoulder development and create an imbalance.
    What are your thoughts?
    How is your shoulder mobility then? Its possible the traps are attempting to stabilize the scapula as the infraspinatus is eccentrically during the shoulder press to stabilize the shoulder joint.
    Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA)

    **Dallas Cowboys**
    **Sacramento Kings**
    **San Jose Sharks**
    Reply With Quote

  2. #182
    CEO 10k/yr y0lked's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Location: Sacramento, California, United States
    Posts: 11,786
    Rep Power: 23158
    y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    y0lked is offline
    Originally Posted by JayC56 View Post
    Hi, I'm just wondering if its normal to have some pain near the insertion of biceps after biceps workouts? I've noticed that usually after arm day, the soreness/pain isn't so much on the middle of the muscle belly but mostly around the insertion point, it's kind of just before the tendon, regardless if I just do 3x10 sets of workouts or with same exercises plus overload exercise at the end of workout. It's around 4/10 pain and elbow extension brings it on. It doesn't hurt with palpation or at rest with flexion. I've recently gotten back to gym for two weeks and I'm starting to overload the biceps with eccentric barbell curls on machine (doing weight that's just heavier than what I can concentrically at the end of workout) at around 3x8 sets. I do a set of light dumbbell curls as warm up and I stretch 30s after workouts so I'm just wondering if this should be a concern such as in the long-term, it may cause overuse and lead to tendinopathy?
    Yeah sounds like simple bicep tendonitis. Slow down the overload of the bicep training, let the tendon heal. Dont do any concentration curls or preacher curls. If you want to overload the biceps then row heavier and do weighted pullups. The biecps are a very small muscle and dont need much direct work to grow as they are involved in many many exercises.

    2nd thoughts: do you deadlift? Possibly with a mixed grip? You could be putting massive amounts of strain on the biceps that way.
    Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA)

    **Dallas Cowboys**
    **Sacramento Kings**
    **San Jose Sharks**
    Reply With Quote

  3. #183
    Registered User ShomyVC15's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2016
    Age: 25
    Posts: 29
    Rep Power: 0
    ShomyVC15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ShomyVC15 is offline
    Hey man... To make the long story short, whole my life I had bad posture (kyphosis, internally rolled shoulders, winged scapula). You probably know how it goes... My pecs, front delts, upper traps and similar muscles are way too strong while the back ones are weak af. I went to a professional and his back exercises helped. My only problem is that I can't keep my back straight to avoid rounded back without thinking about it, while when I consciously keep my posture like it should be I get back ache (an area on the left side somewhere in between the mid and lower trap). I believe those are muscle spasms from overuse. When this happens my posture gets even worse (snapping of the scapula, rounding of the back...) until it disappears. It usually happens on the left (non-dominant) side of my back. I have been doing these posture exercises and watched out not to slouch for a longer period of time (since February) so my biggest concern is if this is all normal, should I be experiencing such things (spasms) after so long? Also I should note that I had some brakes form these exercises during this
    period of time :d
    Reply With Quote

  4. #184
    Registered User joenty's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Posts: 13
    Rep Power: 0
    joenty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    joenty is offline
    Originally Posted by y0lked View Post
    How is your shoulder mobility then? Its possible the traps are attempting to stabilize the scapula as the infraspinatus is eccentrically during the shoulder press to stabilize the shoulder joint.
    Shoulder mobility is good. What do you suggest as per my previous two posts?
    Reply With Quote

  5. #185
    Registered User milat3340's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2016
    Age: 34
    Posts: 25
    Rep Power: 0
    milat3340 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    milat3340 is offline
    Hey man. a got a few questions...

    I am doing AllPros routine which look like this:
    Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

    The problem is that I have back problem so I am affraid to do Stiff-Legged Deadlifts(and my doctor told me not to do any kind of deadlift). Is there any exercise which could replace Stiff-Legged Deadlifts in this program?
    They say that regular deadlifts would been too much load on the CNS so i cant replace Stiff Legged Deadlift with regular one.
    And they say that Stiff Legged deadlift is important for Hamstrings and that Quads form doing Squats and Hamstrings need to be balanced.
    So I would need to do find an exercise that I can do that fully stretches the hamstrings.
    Do you have any idea which exercise that is safer for my back could replace Stiff Legged deadlifts and that could fitt in nicely in AllPros Routine?

    Thank you and sorry for bad english
    Reply With Quote

  6. #186
    Banned creepymonster's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2016
    Posts: 54
    Rep Power: 0
    creepymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) creepymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) creepymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) creepymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) creepymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) creepymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) creepymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) creepymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) creepymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) creepymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) creepymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    creepymonster is offline
    I want to cut, as Ive got quite a high BF% (~30%), Will powerlifting be an efficeint way to lose fat other than the usual caloric deficit? Is bodybuilding seen more superior (due to better aesthetics) ?

    Thanks!!!
    Reply With Quote

  7. #187
    Registered User aali1221's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2016
    Age: 25
    Posts: 128
    Rep Power: 43
    aali1221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    aali1221 is offline
    Originally Posted by y0lked View Post
    I am not an athletic trainer but that field of study acknowledges tendonitis as chronic inflammation. The best way to reduce chronic inflammation of a tendon is to let it rest. Youll need to stop doing any knee extension as much as possible (if it is THAT bad consider crutches maybe). Concurrently you will need to take some NSAIDS (i recommend naproxen sodium) and ice 45 mins on 3 hours off 2-3 times per day total. Try this method for a week. After 7 days of treatment you will voodoo floss the patellar tendon 2-3 times per day for a week. After that we can look into eccentric squats but ultimately we will need to strengthen the tendon and quads with limited range of motion until we can work through a full range of motion (ie full leg extension).


    By the way, I am not specialized in this field however these are the methods that have worked for me and others and I am passing the information down to you in hopes of relief.
    Thank you,
    Would it be wise if i continued my weightlifting while doing this, in the past weight lifting has not affected how my knee feels. Just anything with impact, leg extension or any type of lunging movement affects it. So would i be able to continue squat and deadlift? While icing and taking anti flammatories for a week. Then move onto the voodoo floss and eccentric squats?
    Reply With Quote

  8. #188
    CEO 10k/yr y0lked's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Location: Sacramento, California, United States
    Posts: 11,786
    Rep Power: 23158
    y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    y0lked is offline
    Originally Posted by aali1221 View Post
    Thank you,
    Would it be wise if i continued my weightlifting while doing this, in the past weight lifting has not affected how my knee feels. Just anything with impact, leg extension or any type of lunging movement affects it. So would i be able to continue squat and deadlift? While icing and taking anti flammatories for a week. Then move onto the voodoo floss and eccentric squats?
    Wait im confused... You said your tendonitis is soo bad it limits your daily life yet you want to continue to squat and deadlift? Either way my answer would be no, dont do those things if you want to fix your tendonitis.
    Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA)

    **Dallas Cowboys**
    **Sacramento Kings**
    **San Jose Sharks**
    Reply With Quote

  9. #189
    CEO 10k/yr y0lked's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Location: Sacramento, California, United States
    Posts: 11,786
    Rep Power: 23158
    y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    y0lked is offline
    Originally Posted by creepymonster View Post
    I want to cut, as Ive got quite a high BF% (~30%), Will powerlifting be an efficeint way to lose fat other than the usual caloric deficit? Is bodybuilding seen more superior (due to better aesthetics) ?

    Thanks!!!
    You should use resistance training as a form of exercise in order to burn calories and increase your metabolic rate. ie: as a form to increase heart rate rather than strength building. If you are in a substantial caloric deficit you wont be able to build any muscle or increase strength anyways. First drop to the body fat you desire and then think about building muscle.
    Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA)

    **Dallas Cowboys**
    **Sacramento Kings**
    **San Jose Sharks**
    Reply With Quote

  10. #190
    CEO 10k/yr y0lked's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Location: Sacramento, California, United States
    Posts: 11,786
    Rep Power: 23158
    y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    y0lked is offline
    Originally Posted by milat3340 View Post
    Hey man. a got a few questions...

    I am doing AllPros routine which look like this:
    Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

    The problem is that I have back problem so I am affraid to do Stiff-Legged Deadlifts(and my doctor told me not to do any kind of deadlift). Is there any exercise which could replace Stiff-Legged Deadlifts in this program?
    They say that regular deadlifts would been too much load on the CNS so i cant replace Stiff Legged Deadlift with regular one.
    And they say that Stiff Legged deadlift is important for Hamstrings and that Quads form doing Squats and Hamstrings need to be balanced.
    So I would need to do find an exercise that I can do that fully stretches the hamstrings.
    Do you have any idea which exercise that is safer for my back could replace Stiff Legged deadlifts and that could fitt in nicely in AllPros Routine?

    Thank you and sorry for bad english
    Glute ham raises would be my go to exercise just make sure you arent hyper extending the spine. Before you dive into them tho, what is your back injury?
    Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA)

    **Dallas Cowboys**
    **Sacramento Kings**
    **San Jose Sharks**
    Reply With Quote

  11. #191
    CEO 10k/yr y0lked's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Location: Sacramento, California, United States
    Posts: 11,786
    Rep Power: 23158
    y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    y0lked is offline
    Originally Posted by joenty View Post
    Shoulder mobility is good. What do you suggest as per my previous two posts?
    Myofascial release of traps and infraspinatus, then continue to strengthen the posterior muscles of the back and scapular stabalizer muscles.
    face pulls
    pullups
    front plate raises

    go through those and let me know how they feel.
    Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA)

    **Dallas Cowboys**
    **Sacramento Kings**
    **San Jose Sharks**
    Reply With Quote

  12. #192
    CEO 10k/yr y0lked's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Location: Sacramento, California, United States
    Posts: 11,786
    Rep Power: 23158
    y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    y0lked is offline
    Originally Posted by ShomyVC15 View Post
    Hey man... To make the long story short, whole my life I had bad posture (kyphosis, internally rolled shoulders, winged scapula). You probably know how it goes... My pecs, front delts, upper traps and similar muscles are way too strong while the back ones are weak af. I went to a professional and his back exercises helped. My only problem is that I can't keep my back straight to avoid rounded back without thinking about it, while when I consciously keep my posture like it should be I get back ache (an area on the left side somewhere in between the mid and lower trap). I believe those are muscle spasms from overuse. When this happens my posture gets even worse (snapping of the scapula, rounding of the back...) until it disappears. It usually happens on the left (non-dominant) side of my back. I have been doing these posture exercises and watched out not to slouch for a longer period of time (since February) so my biggest concern is if this is all normal, should I be experiencing such things (spasms) after so long? Also I should note that I had some brakes form these exercises during this
    period of time :d
    It is normal to experience the spasms, you will need to keep strengthening the posterior chain. Ive found that stim has been amazing for helping with spasms as I had spinal erector spasms as well. The more you focus on getting that lordodic curve correct during exercises that strengthen the lumbar spine the faster you will correct it. Posture correction takes a lot of work but you can do it!

    SLDL
    GHR
    Farmers walk
    good mornings
    seated good mornings
    lying leg curls

    just keep your mind on maintaining that lordodic curve throughout the entire time at the gym and daily life.
    Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA)

    **Dallas Cowboys**
    **Sacramento Kings**
    **San Jose Sharks**
    Reply With Quote

  13. #193
    Registered User joenty's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Posts: 13
    Rep Power: 0
    joenty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    joenty is offline
    Originally Posted by y0lked View Post
    Myofascial release of traps and infraspinatus, then continue to strengthen the posterior muscles of the back and scapular stabalizer muscles.
    face pulls
    pullups
    front plate raises

    go through those and let me know how they feel.

    Thanx, are there any specific exercises, I should avoid?
    Reply With Quote

  14. #194
    Registered User milat3340's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2016
    Age: 34
    Posts: 25
    Rep Power: 0
    milat3340 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    milat3340 is offline
    Originally Posted by y0lked View Post
    Glute ham raises would be my go to exercise just make sure you arent hyper extending the spine. Before you dive into them tho, what is your back injury?
    Herniated Disk in the Lower Back. Can i do Glute ham raises at home, something like this? youtube.com/watch?v=M8WW6GKk0cY
    Reply With Quote

  15. #195
    Registered User ICONOFSIN's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2011
    Posts: 104
    Rep Power: 486
    ICONOFSIN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICONOFSIN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICONOFSIN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICONOFSIN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICONOFSIN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICONOFSIN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICONOFSIN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICONOFSIN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICONOFSIN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICONOFSIN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICONOFSIN has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    ICONOFSIN is offline
    What foods can help me boost my vascularity (I know you need a low BF%) but nutrition wise what helps?
    Live life like a pair of walking legs. The foot forward has no pride and the foot behind has no shame, because both know their situation will change.
    Reply With Quote

  16. #196
    CEO 10k/yr y0lked's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Location: Sacramento, California, United States
    Posts: 11,786
    Rep Power: 23158
    y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    y0lked is offline
    Originally Posted by joenty View Post
    Thanx, are there any specific exercises, I should avoid?
    Anything that gives you pain, always warm up with light weight and see if you can go through the range of motion without pain. Work to get the form consistently good and be able to move through the full range of motion as you slowly increase the weight.
    Originally Posted by milat3340 View Post
    Herniated Disk in the Lower Back. Can i do Glute ham raises at home, something like this? youtube.com/watch?v=M8WW6GKk0cY
    You could try that method, can you do Good Mornings? a basic back extension? You can use the same machine and place the pad really low on the quads and straighten the legs and activate the hamstrings that way.
    Originally Posted by ICONOFSIN View Post
    What foods can help me boost my vascularity (I know you need a low BF%) but nutrition wise what helps?
    Thats a great question. Im not sure there are any specific foods high enough in a nutrient that will boost vascularity. However, salt and water will increase blood pressure slightly which will bring out some vascularity (as long as you dont already have high blood pressure). Also carbs and water.

    Basically if you want a temporary boost in vascularity eat some white rice with olive oil and tons of salt. Baked potatoes with olive oil and salt and pepper is awesome too. Both in combination with 1L of h20.
    Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA)

    **Dallas Cowboys**
    **Sacramento Kings**
    **San Jose Sharks**
    Reply With Quote

  17. #197
    Getting strong(er). MikeWines's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2012
    Posts: 7,870
    Rep Power: 44382
    MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    MikeWines is offline
    Originally Posted by ICONOFSIN View Post
    What foods can help me boost my vascularity (I know you need a low BF%) but nutrition wise what helps?
    Beets.
    B.S. Exercise Science
    M.S. Applied Sport Science and Exercise Physiology

    Excellence, Not Perfection.

    The Journey of a Lifetime: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154060251
    Reply With Quote

  18. #198
    CEO 10k/yr y0lked's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Location: Sacramento, California, United States
    Posts: 11,786
    Rep Power: 23158
    y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    y0lked is offline
    Originally Posted by MikeWines View Post
    Beets.
    Damn, didnt know that foods could increase nitric oxide levels. Found a whole article on it. My bad ICONOFSIN for just speculating on the matter.

    https://www.anabolicmen.com/how-to-i...ity-naturally/
    Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA)

    **Dallas Cowboys**
    **Sacramento Kings**
    **San Jose Sharks**
    Reply With Quote

  19. #199
    Registered User milat3340's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2016
    Age: 34
    Posts: 25
    Rep Power: 0
    milat3340 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    milat3340 is offline
    Originally Posted by y0lked View Post
    Anything that gives you pain, always warm up with light weight and see if you can go through the range of motion without pain. Work to get the form consistently good and be able to move through the full range of motion as you slowly increase the weight.

    You could try that method, can you do Good Mornings? a basic back extension? You can use the same machine and place the pad really low on the quads and straighten the legs and activate the hamstrings that way.


    Thats a great question. Im not sure there are any specific foods high enough in a nutrient that will boost vascularity. However, salt and water will increase blood pressure slightly which will bring out some vascularity (as long as you dont already have high blood pressure). Also carbs and water.

    Basically if you want a temporary boost in vascularity eat some white rice with olive oil and tons of salt. Baked potatoes with olive oil and salt and pepper is awesome too. Both in combination with 1L of h20.
    I do my workout at home. I have barbells, dumbells and bench press which look like this njuskalo.hr/image-bigger/fitness-oprema/energetics-power-bench-slika-53759445.jpg (soory i cant post link, but you can copy this in browser). I do not have any other machines.

    Please, what are my best options instead of SLDL? What is basic back extension?
    Reply With Quote

  20. #200
    CEO 10k/yr y0lked's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Location: Sacramento, California, United States
    Posts: 11,786
    Rep Power: 23158
    y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    y0lked is offline
    Originally Posted by milat3340 View Post
    I do my workout at home. I have barbells, dumbells and bench press which look like this njuskalo.hr/image-bigger/fitness-oprema/energetics-power-bench-slika-53759445.jpg (soory i cant post link, but you can copy this in browser). I do not have any other machines.

    Please, what are my best options instead of SLDL? What is basic back extension?
    I would have you start with this.

    This is a great exercise you can do with light dumbbels



    you can substitute these exercises in for hamstring work, however I highly suggest you get that herniated disk issue resolved and start working to strengthen the low back slowly. Good mornings and sldl will definitely help with that even if youre just doing the bar with correct hinge movement. Our bodies will automatically recruit other muscles to help stabilize joints if the primary structures are damaged. This is ok short term but to get back to 100% you will need to build the strength, stability and posture necessary for full function to return.
    Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA)

    **Dallas Cowboys**
    **Sacramento Kings**
    **San Jose Sharks**
    Reply With Quote

  21. #201
    CEO 10k/yr y0lked's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Location: Sacramento, California, United States
    Posts: 11,786
    Rep Power: 23158
    y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    y0lked is offline
    4 day splits SUCK! This chart shows the protein synthesis rates after exercise. An optimal program should involve exercising each muscle every 36-72 hours (1.5-3 days).


    Post your workout routine, lets evaluate it.
    Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA)

    **Dallas Cowboys**
    **Sacramento Kings**
    **San Jose Sharks**
    Reply With Quote

  22. #202
    Registered User OhMon's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2016
    Age: 30
    Posts: 1
    Rep Power: 0
    OhMon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    OhMon is offline

    "Breathe into"?

    Hello, guys. Can anyone explain a cue in the book "15 minute abs workout" by Joan Pagano? I'm not sure that I follow a right instruction, It writes:
    "Seated spinal twist: sitting with your legs crossed and hips firmly on the ground, place the ball behind you. Reach one arm back, place your hand on the ball and use your front hand on the opposite knee to deepen the twist. Hold the position =and breathe into it=, then changes sides"


    I can't understand the "=and breathe into it=". Does that mean I have to inhale and exhale repeatedly or to take a deep breath? Thank you a lot.
    Reply With Quote

  23. #203
    CEO 10k/yr y0lked's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Location: Sacramento, California, United States
    Posts: 11,786
    Rep Power: 23158
    y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    y0lked is offline
    Originally Posted by OhMon View Post
    Hello, guys. Can anyone explain a cue in the book "15 minute abs workout" by Joan Pagano? I'm not sure that I follow a right instruction, It writes:
    "Seated spinal twist: sitting with your legs crossed and hips firmly on the ground, place the ball behind you. Reach one arm back, place your hand on the ball and use your front hand on the opposite knee to deepen the twist. Hold the position =and breathe into it=, then changes sides"


    I can't understand the "=and breathe into it=". Does that mean I have to inhale and exhale repeatedly or to take a deep breath? Thank you a lot.
    Would need to see the exercise. Are you a senior? She is a geriatric trainer i believe.
    Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA)

    **Dallas Cowboys**
    **Sacramento Kings**
    **San Jose Sharks**
    Reply With Quote

  24. #204
    Registered User markoboss's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2016
    Age: 28
    Posts: 1
    Rep Power: 0
    markoboss is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    markoboss is offline

    How to get habit to workout often?

    Im 23 y.o. male. Im 193cm and 83 kg.
    I have very tiny bones and wrist, and very low muscle mass. My phisycal condition is bad, I can do about 20, barely 25 pushup and 0 pullups, I cant run long distances i get realy tired, and loose my breath, my heart beat so loud, and my arms and legs feels a bit shaky I hate that weekness feeling. I realy lack endurance and strengt and feels so stupid and a bit unconfident. I tried to exercice but I forgot often do it, or completly gave up, mostly what Im doin is desk job, Im programmer(junior-still learning) I love that job and Im doing that to pay bills. I know that long sitting is killing my body and can harm my health. Im asking you guy how to motivate yourself to workout often to stay strong and nice shaped? I do not asking how to become Coleman or Schwarzzenger just healthy and tough! tnx
    Reply With Quote

  25. #205
    CEO 10k/yr y0lked's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Location: Sacramento, California, United States
    Posts: 11,786
    Rep Power: 23158
    y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    y0lked is offline
    Originally Posted by markoboss View Post
    Im 23 y.o. male. Im 193cm and 83 kg.
    I have very tiny bones and wrist, and very low muscle mass. My phisycal condition is bad, I can do about 20, barely 25 pushup and 0 pullups, I cant run long distances i get realy tired, and loose my breath, my heart beat so loud, and my arms and legs feels a bit shaky I hate that weekness feeling. I realy lack endurance and strengt and feels so stupid and a bit unconfident. I tried to exercice but I forgot often do it, or completly gave up, mostly what Im doin is desk job, Im programmer(junior-still learning) I love that job and Im doing that to pay bills. I know that long sitting is killing my body and can harm my health. Im asking you guy how to motivate yourself to workout often to stay strong and nice shaped? I do not asking how to become Coleman or Schwarzzenger just healthy and tough! tnx
    Motivation has to come within yourself. You have to crave the results. Most of us that have been lifting for a long time still lift because we have experienced the changes in our bodies. When you first start noticing changes you will feel amazing and you will always remember/chase that feeling. You have to get on a workout plan and schedule which days you will lift and which days you will rest. Then on the lifting days you need to plan the time. Either before work or immediately after unless your company pays you to workout, you should find out. Corporate wellness is huge right now and alot of companies are paying employees to workout to save on insurance claims. Bring everything you need to work with you to work so that you can change clothes and drive straight to the gym.

    Seccondly, go buy yourself a new workout bag, a new preworkout energy drink, new lifting clothes and shoes etc. get some stuff that makes you excited for the journey. Research diets and plan your meals out for the week and then go home and meal prep. Nothing feels more dedicating than making 6 meals for the next couple days so that you can stick your diet. When you eat those meals, know that what you are eating is going towards a goal and not just satisfying taste buds.

    I can go on and on but to give you a scientific approach, it takes about 3 weeks for most training adaptations to begin. Blood volume increases, RBC count increases, your muscle will start utelizing oxygen for energy better and you will gain mitochondria in the muscle along with increase hormones that regulate protein synthesis. You need to stick with it for atleast a month, religiously, and then you will start feeling stronger and more energized. Once you get past that point, assuming you stay consistent, you will be on your way towards changing your body and life. Get after it! I was a skinny kid when I was growing up as well. If you need a workout let me know, I have an excel spreadsheet workout plan that you can print out and use as a log.
    Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA)

    **Dallas Cowboys**
    **Sacramento Kings**
    **San Jose Sharks**
    Reply With Quote

  26. #206
    Registered User hhcg's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2016
    Age: 28
    Posts: 10
    Rep Power: 0
    hhcg is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hhcg is offline
    Thanks Pyro, I knew it would be easy
    Reply With Quote

  27. #207
    Registered User felix800's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2016
    Age: 39
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    felix800 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    felix800 is offline
    hi pyro I seen on an earlier post you advised lowering bf% before attempting to build muscle. I have my BF% at approx 16/17% and would like to reduce this closer to 12% however I also wish to build mass. Can you not build mass and reduce bf at the same time or this extremely complicated/hard work?
    Reply With Quote

  28. #208
    I'm the beast Iceman1800's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Location: Under your bed, Swaziland
    Posts: 38,461
    Rep Power: 2147724
    Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz
    Iceman1800 is offline
    This thread still active? Looking for a list of unilateral lower body exercises I can do after my lumbar fusion. Obviously I want to keep unnecessary pressure off that area.
    L4/L5 fusion September 2016
    Reply With Quote

  29. #209
    Registered User KrutoyChuvak's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2016
    Age: 21
    Posts: 1
    Rep Power: 0
    KrutoyChuvak is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    KrutoyChuvak is offline
    I've been working out for about 7 months now, and everything has been going great. However, I often get a tingling from my pinky and ring finger down to my elbow when doing heavy pull exercises. It isn't painful or anything, but it is sometimes really uncomfortable. I don't have any elbow problems or anything, I'd just like to know if it is bad or not. Thanks.
    Reply With Quote

  30. #210
    CEO 10k/yr y0lked's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Location: Sacramento, California, United States
    Posts: 11,786
    Rep Power: 23158
    y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    y0lked is offline
    Originally Posted by felix800 View Post
    hi pyro I seen on an earlier post you advised lowering bf% before attempting to build muscle. I have my BF% at approx 16/17% and would like to reduce this closer to 12% however I also wish to build mass. Can you not build mass and reduce bf at the same time or this extremely complicated/hard work?
    You certainly can do both, its not a popular opinion because it takes more time however if you are stuck in the middle i think it can work wonders. The overall goal is to increase LBM so that your BMR increases and thus fat can be liberated for energy during workouts or recovery. You have to keep your diet in check (roughly 200-400 calories above maintenance) and you have to work hard. 6-7 workouts a week, 5 workouts of resistance training and 1-2 cardio workouts a week (20-30 minutes and can be tacked onto the end of a workout).

    I have a 5 day program that would be perfect for a recomp phase. Just remember, nothing in this world comes without working for it. If you want to change your body, you have to change your habits and force a change in your body metabolically. Its not as hard as you think, you just have to be dedicated.
    Originally Posted by Iceman1800 View Post
    This thread still active? Looking for a list of unilateral lower body exercises I can do after my lumbar fusion. Obviously I want to keep unnecessary pressure off that area.
    Yes it is. Im not sure how recent your surgery is, how light you need to go but the following exercises can be loaded in any fashion you feel is acceptable to your progression.

    I would start with single leg on the leg press. You can get a lot of leg work out of that as the vo2 max for one leg can increase by 200% allowing more work to be done than if both legs were working together. The leg press machine is also good as there wont be any compression of the spine or torque either.
    Bodyweight Lying single leg extensions (see post 200)
    Step ups and lunges are obviously in play here (do walking lunges with 3 static lunges on each step)
    Bodyweight or light weight one leg SLDL would be the next step as the torque of the weight is counterbalanced by the leg behind you
    bulgarian squats, real bulgarian squats not the renamed bodybuilding split squat version, would be great (use either no weight or weight in both hands, have that back foot just resting on the ground, toe on the ground and just let that passive foot help you balance but dont use it for force production. )

    Lastly the full single leg squat would be a good goal. I weight 185lbs, if that is the resistance on one leg then you could somewhat equate that to 370lbs of resistance for both legs. Solid leg exercise. Let me know if you need anything else, happy to help or get more in-depth on your return post surgery.


    Originally Posted by KrutoyChuvak View Post
    I've been working out for about 7 months now, and everything has been going great. However, I often get a tingling from my pinky and ring finger down to my elbow when doing heavy pull exercises. It isn't painful or anything, but it is sometimes really uncomfortable. I don't have any elbow problems or anything, I'd just like to know if it is bad or not. Thanks.
    Yeah thats an ulnar nerve problem probably caused by overuse. Do you have a desk job? Can be carpal tunnel symptoms. Watch this vid, try these relief exercises.
    Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA)

    **Dallas Cowboys**
    **Sacramento Kings**
    **San Jose Sharks**
    Reply With Quote

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-24-2015, 11:05 AM
  2. Ask About Islam 4
    By SYRIANKID in forum Religion and Politics
    Replies: 11412
    Last Post: 04-09-2012, 07:46 PM
  3. Ask a new dietitian anything...
    By foodandfitness in forum Nutrition
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-19-2011, 09:32 PM
  4. Exercise Science major looking to become a personal trainer
    By openpalm in forum Personal Trainers Section
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-18-2010, 08:39 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2009, 11:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts