theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Few deadlift questions

First one is regarding creating torque at the hip. Do you create torque at the hips if your feet are pointed slightly bit on the sidet without forcing your knees into your arms in the beginning position of the lift? It's kinda confusing to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyRiw2b8yI4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7tXNK_eTCQ

I based my technique off of the first video.. but some time later when I watched the second one (in the 2nd video, talking about the tall guy doing his deadlifts with that stance), it kinda confused me. So can anyone here clear that misunderstanding? I should also mention that when I don't force my knees into the arms and take shoulder width stance... the lift is very hamstring dominant especially when I take the slack out of the bar.

Second question is if I bump up the volume on the deadlift by adding 2-3 more sets but staying in the 3-5 rep range, can I build more muscle using that way or I need some other plan on that one?

ChaosNYX will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChaosNYX will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChaosNYX will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChaosNYX will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChaosNYX will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChaosNYX will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChaosNYX will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChaosNYX will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChaosNYX will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChaosNYX will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChaosNYX will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by theFutureD View Post
    First one is regarding creating torque at the hip. Do you create torque at the hips if your feet are pointed slightly bit on the sidet without forcing your knees into your arms in the beginning position of the lift? It's kinda confusing to me.

I based my technique off of the first video.. but some time later when I watched the second one (in the 2nd video, talking about the tall guy doing his deadlifts with that stance), it kinda confused me. So can anyone here clear that misunderstanding? I should also mention that when I don't force my knees into the arms and take shoulder width stance... the lift is very hamstring dominant especially when I take the slack out of the bar.

Second question is if I bump up the volume on the deadlift by adding 2-3 more sets but staying in the 3-5 rep range, can I build more muscle using that way or I need some other plan on that one?
    I didn't watch the entire 28 minutes of the 2nd video but I did see a part where they were talking about how tall lifters will have a different technique. So if I'm not seeing the right part of the vid then maybe you can tell us what part of the video you are talking about.

There are going to be different techniques for different people based on their different body proportions. I've never heard anyone say to push your knees out "into your legs" but it's just another way of telling you to keep your knees over your toes and to use more hip in the process (a good thing). I think of it as lifting with the crotch (But your lifting with your hips, and legs, and everything really). I got that from Ed Coan's squat video.

In your video, he said that tall lifters are going to use more erector spine and hamstring because that is where they are the strongest. They still push their knees out, they keep their back set, they stay tight, ect...You do the lift correctly and your body will adjust it's mechanics automatically. It'll find it's strongest position while you focus on doing the lift correctly. You may make changes to your technique as you get more experienced. I don't know what everyone does.

I don't know what your exact body proportions are but there's nothing wrong with a hamstring dominant deadlift as long as there's no pain. You should feel a lot of tension in your hamstrings but your back is going to be the limiting factor at heavy weights. It's mainly a back exercise imo, but also glutes and hamstring. It's posterior chain predominantly.

Lastly, you usually bump up the volume if you want to build more muscle. I don't know how many sets and reps you are doing and I don't know what other lifts your doing in that same workout. There are various factors that separate pure strength training from hypertrophy but the main one is volume/ session. If your a newbi then you should probably follow a proven program instead of making one up.

mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Driving your knees into your arms does two things:

1. It puts tension in your hips, as is described in the video. It's nice to have that initial tension in your posterior chain for the lift.
    2. It sets you up for a good initial leg drive. I view the initial part of the pull the same way I view a squat: you push your knees out and you get more lower leg recruitment.

I've deadlifted both ways and prefer driving my knees into my arms for the reasons I described above.

Yes, you can bump up your volume on deadlifts to build muscle mass. The rep ranges you described are good but you need to use alot of auto-regulation and listen to what your body is telling you. I recommend keeping the weight 5-10% lighter than you normally would when pulling with higher volume as you'll get the same hypertrophy benefits with screwing up your form.

I've been doing the 5/3/1 BBB with deadlifts for the first time and the extra 5x3 or 5x5 sets have been beneficial for me. I highly recommend doing this if you're looking to gain some size out of your deadlifts.
    "The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds." -Henry Rollins

theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by mdonnelly80 View Post
    Driving your knees into your arms does two things:

1. It puts tension in your hips, as is described in the video. It's nice to have that initial tension in your posterior chain for the lift.
    2. It sets you up for a good initial leg drive. I view the initial part of the pull the same way I view a squat: you push your knees out and you get more lower leg recruitment.

I've deadlifted both ways and prefer driving my knees into my arms for the reasons I described above.

Yes, you can bump up your volume on deadlifts to build muscle mass. The rep ranges you described are good but you need to use alot of auto-regulation and listen to what your body is telling you. I recommend keeping the weight 5-10% lighter than you normally would when pulling with higher volume as you'll get the same hypertrophy benefits with screwing up your form.

I've been doing the 5/3/1 BBB with deadlifts for the first time and the extra 5x3 or 5x5 sets have been beneficial for me. I highly recommend doing this if you're looking to gain some size out of your deadlifts.
    And when you push your knees into your arms, are your feet slightly pointed out?

And tnx for this great answer.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I didn't watch the videos but the technique i use to more activate glutes it the bar is almost knee level is to twist the feet outward while maintaining there position(not moving them) for conventional style.
    If you do it correctly you will feel your glutes become more involved helping from the knees up.
    You still should be maintaining tension throughout the pull though.
    This technique like putting it into second gear with just a bit more for your pull.