Page 202 of 237 FirstFirst ... 102 152 192 200 201 202 203 204 212 ... LastLast
Results 6,031 to 6,060 of 7083
    Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by W8isGR8 View Post
    Figuring out what is “enough” calories and protein is hard for sure. With as long as it takes to see real results it’s hard to know if you’re doing things right when the timeline is months/years. The only other option is is going on the “see-food” diet to guarantee you’re getting enough, then you end up with extra fat
    These are challenging times too because a lot of people will be comfort eating while not burning as much energy.

I shouldn't admit to this because I felt like I was getting away with it for a long time but I consumed eye-watering amounts of sugar. I never cared for abs but then I didn't want a distended gut either and then this COVID sh*t rolled in, gyms closed, I kept chugging the sugary drinks and snacking on chocolate bars and suddenly the gut couldn't be sucked in. I tallied up the sugar and decided right there its tour was over. Reduced it by 80% and have kept it there. Waistline has returned to pre-pandemic size and there's no going back to those old habits. The reason I'm mentioning this is there's obviously no magic pill. It takes willpower. Discipline. Quitting caffeine a few years ago was the same. I genuinely thought I needed it because I'd never trained without it and started every day with it. I've since trained harder and I feel a lot more alert without it.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Quit alcohol around my birthday last year boyyyyyyyyyeeeeee

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I still drink way too much booze and caffeine. Sugar and food has never been my vice, so I have no problem going draconian on a diet. I still prefer intermittent fasting as my go-to diet.
    I don't know either lol

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I like to cut out carbs every now and then. Just to know I'm alive.

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    I like to cut out carbs every now and then. Just to know I'm alive.
    Doing keto really helps combat the alcohol addiction. There was an article on t nation that talked about how it has to do with regulating brain chemicals like gaba and glutamate. At the end of the day it’s all will power like everything else though
    I don't know either lol

Re: protein intake

1) estimated daily requirements are 1g per KG of LEAN BODY MASS. Which somehow gets misconstrued as 1g per lb of body weight.

2) I am wary of the source of who’s pushing it, which is usually companies selling me protein. It’s like breakfast food companies telling me breakfast is the most important meal of the day
    I don't know either lol

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    I still drink way too much booze and caffeine. Sugar and food has never been my vice, so I have no problem going draconian on a diet. I still prefer intermittent fasting as my go-to diet.
    One vice is probably okay up to a point. It's when you start stacking them where it becomes a real problem. Like the chain smoking drinker who can't get enough deep fried food.

Re: protein intake

1) estimated daily requirements are 1g per KG of LEAN BODY MASS. Which somehow gets misconstrued as 1g per lb of body weight.

2) I am wary of the source of who’s pushing it, which is usually companies selling me protein. It’s like breakfast food companies telling me breakfast is the most important meal of the day
    It's definitely exaggerated by companies with a vested interest in getting you to buy protein which is why it's something you should arrive at through trial and error. If you've been training for a while and getting enough calories but you're convinced the results are sub optimal then I'd be looking to increase it and see if that helps. Personally I'd rather err on the side of taking more than I need than not enough given I'm busting my ass in there.

I didn't train for 4 years but still continued to eat a lot of fast food and I actually lost weight and went down a few notches on the belt. 12 years of heavy lifting laid a solid foundation where I didn't shrivel up and look like I didn't lift. After 2 months of training again...
    Spoiler!

I've put on a bit of size since getting my deadlift back up and pressing and rowing decent numbers but then bigger isn't always better however I don't have the mindset of training to maintain something. I can't do it. I've got to be pushing. Of course there's definitely a sweet spot somewhere but then the goal posts are always moving. It's like someone who bloatmaxed for years could look great leaning out for a natty bodybuilding show but if they stay lean it won't be long before a lot of that muscle disappears. The endocrine system has its own set of rules. I know what works for me to build size and strength but the caveat is carrying more body fat than is ideal. Then again big + lean = natty pipe dream.

The weird thing is that I always had this lingering impression that muscle was put on after working out like getting money at a job. You do the work and get paid and get rich. Now I see it more like a carpenter or something where the muscle doesn't come from compensation of work but of need for all the tools and stuff you put in the garage. Tools aren't what you're working for, but you're buying tools to do more work.

Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
    One vice is probably okay up to a point. It's when you start stacking them where it becomes a real problem. Like the chain smoking drinker who can't get enough deep fried food.

It's definitely exaggerated by companies with a vested interest in getting you to buy protein which is why it's something you should arrive at through trial and error. If you've been training for a while and getting enough calories but you're convinced the results are sub optimal then I'd be looking to increase it and see if that helps. Personally I'd rather err on the side of taking more than I need than not enough given I'm busting my ass in there.

I didn't train for 4 years but still continued to eat a lot of fast food and I actually lost weight and went down a few notches on the belt. 12 years of heavy lifting laid a solid foundation where I didn't shrivel up and look like I didn't lift. After 2 months of training again...
    Spoiler!

I've put on a bit of size since getting my deadlift back up and pressing and rowing decent numbers but then bigger isn't always better however I don't have the mindset of training to maintain something. I can't do it. I've got to be pushing. Of course there's definitely a sweet spot somewhere but then the goal posts are always moving. It's like someone who bloatmaxed for years could look great leaning out for a natty bodybuilding show but if they stay lean it won't be long before a lot of that muscle disappears. The endocrine system has its own set of rules. I know what works for me to build size and strength but the caveat is carrying more body fat than is ideal. Then again big + lean = natty pipe dream.
    You’re a big dude, you long ago earned the right to do whatever you want
    I don't know either lol

The weird thing is that I always had this lingering impression that muscle was put on after working out like getting money at a job. You do the work and get paid and get rich. Now I see it more like a carpenter or something where the muscle doesn't come from compensation of work but of need for all the tools and stuff you put in the garage. Tools aren't what you're working for, but you're buying tools to do more work.
    The analogy I use with people is building a house. Think of protein as the wood, but dripping off load after load of wood won’t make a house be built faster if you don’t also have nails, hammers, drywall, plumbing, etc. Which is all the other components like training, rest, vitamins/minerals, carbs, fat, proven supplements, healthy immune system/endocrine system.

And the number of workers you have is your whole natural limit of protein synthesis and muscle size
    I don't know either lol

The analogy I use with people is building a house. Think of protein as the wood, but dripping off load after load of wood won’t make a house be built faster if you don’t also have nails, hammers, drywall, plumbing, etc. Which is all the other components like training, rest, vitamins/minerals, carbs, fat, proven supplements, healthy immune system/endocrine system.

And the number of workers you have is your whole natural limit of protein synthesis and muscle size
    Well I think that's a macroeconomic take on it.

My biggest problem is inconsistency. I constantly switch between the bulk/cut thing because I want to be bigger but I hate the way I look when I’m fatter, so I lean out and then feel like I’m too skinny. It sucks.

I’ll also go on month long binges where I don’t workout and just eat and drink, then I’ll do months of dieting and solid workouts. I’ll put together a collage of pics and without labeling them you would think they were just before and after pics of being out of shape and then getting in shape one time, but it’s happened like four or five times now and I know I’m just spinning wheels at this point
    I don't know either lol

Well I think that's a macroeconomic take on it.
    A good example is the average 23yo dude I work with in the military. They drink a case of beer a day, chain smoke/dip, drink two or three full sugar energy drinks, eat nothing but fast food, sleep four hours a night, but then buy 400 bucks worth of protein powder that they chug religiously after their arm curl workouts
    I don't know either lol

My biggest problem is inconsistency. I constantly switch between the bulk/cut thing because I want to be bigger but I hate the way I look when I’m fatter, so I lean out and then feel like I’m too skinny. It sucks.
    I wish I had the answer.

My cope is focusing on strength for reps. The average guy our age is going to have a bit of a gut anyway so I figure may as well fill out the delts, arms, back, etc. even if the first thing most people will use as a benchmark to judge your progress is how fat you are. Now my answer might be different if I were younger and chasing aesthetics but I'm comfortable where I'm at however I draw the line at a gut that protrudes beyond the pecs.

We're not allowed to discuss the topic so I'll try to be discreet but even at the highest level they're dealing with those fluctuations albeit on a larger scale.

4 months between these photos.

6 months between these.

He's got his reasons but that must be an incredible mindf'k. Back in the real world I have a pretty good idea of what the body is capable of naturally so I keep my expectations realistic about what can be achieved.

All about matching your carbs to your workload.

I wish I had the answer.

My cope is focusing on strength for reps. The average guy our age is going to have a bit of a gut anyway so I figure may as well fill out the delts, arms, back, etc. even if the first thing most people will use as a benchmark to judge your progress is how fat you are. Now my answer might be different if I were younger and chasing aesthetics but I'm comfortable where I'm at however I draw the line at a gut that protrudes beyond the pecs.

We're not allowed to discuss the topic so I'll try to be discreet but even at the highest level they're dealing with those fluctuations albeit on a larger scale.

4 months between these photos.

6 months between these.

He's got his reasons but that must be an incredible mindf'k. Back in the real world I have a pretty good idea of what the body is capable of naturally so I keep my expectations realistic about what can be achieved.
    I’ve always been a strict follower of the “chest to gut” ratio. I love the feeling of being strong and stretching out a t shirt, but don’t like the way my face looks over a certain weight
    I don't know either lol

Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    On a training related note.....

Now that I'm in my 40's I have been noticing my priorities shifting. While I still love traditional bodybuilding stuff, I find myself caring more about being able to maintain overall flexibility/mobility. I'm doing more things I used to make fun of 10 years ago (i.e "circus tricks").

Also have been using lighter weights and higher reps, which has been doing a decent job of maintaining without the massive pain and soreness.

This whole covid thing shutting down gyms has made my wife and I build up more of our home gym, and we do a lot of workouts together. So we do a lot more circuit-style things.

I still maintain that high-volume training (i.e GVT) is the best for body recomp purposes and filling out as quick as possible.
    I'm still a few months away from joining the over 40 crew, but I agree. My priorities have shifted as well. My emphasis has changed to what I like to call a "well rounded athlete" focus. Basically a balance of muscular strength and endurance, as well as cardiovascular endurance and speed/power. I can't train anything that works my shoulders/elbows 2 days in a row anymore, so I've settled into a very basic push/legs/pull/cardio split.

Nice to see some actual training/nutrition related discussion in here too!
    Audentis Fortuna Iuvat

I really enjoy aerobic training more since I've gotten my posture in order.

Rock You Like a Hurricane ryuten's Avatar
    ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000)
    WHAT'S UP GUYS?! Great to see Hola Bola, Dominik, W8 still active on the Rant threads. It's been like 15 years and still going strong! I can't believe so much time has passed.
    Just dropping by to say hi as I stock up on a year's worth of protein on Black Friday. I've gotten fat again and need to lose some weight. I"m having a really hard time controlling my appetite when I'm not working. Gonna hop over to the supplement section to see if anybody can recommend anything that works. LOL
    Happy Thanksgiving and Holidays for the rest of the year. <3

Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I really enjoy aerobic training more since I've gotten my posture in order.
    I find the key to enjoying cardio is variety. I rotate between running, biking, rowing, swimming, and the elliptical occasionally. Each one has their strengths/weaknesses for me. For LISS I prefer running, biking, and the elliptical. For HIIT I like sprints, rowing, and swimming. The past few years I've been doing more endurance competitions, so it helps to have a broad cardio base instead of just getting good at one thing.

Originally Posted by ryuten View Post
    WHAT'S UP GUYS?! Great to see Hola Bola, Dominik, W8 still active on the Rant threads. It's been like 15 years and still going strong! I can't believe so much time has passed.
    Just dropping by to say hi as I stock up on a year's worth of protein on Black Friday. I've gotten fat again and need to lose some weight. I"m having a really hard time controlling my appetite when I'm not working. Gonna hop over to the supplement section to see if anybody can recommend anything that works. LOL
    Happy Thanksgiving and Holidays for the rest of the year. <3
    Good to see you man! Same old same old here. I actually just hit an all time PR on bench press yesterday. I'll probably never beat my old PR's on squat and deadlift since my back is jacked up, so I was pretty happy about this one...

Last edited by Hola Bola; 11-27-2020 at 10:53 AM.
    Audentis Fortuna Iuvat

Originally Posted by Hola Bola View Post
    I'm still a few months away from joining the over 40 crew, but I agree. My priorities have shifted as well. My emphasis has changed to what I like to call a "well rounded athlete" focus. Basically a balance of muscular strength and endurance, as well as cardiovascular endurance and speed/power. I can't train anything that works my shoulders/elbows 2 days in a row anymore, so I've settled into a very basic push/legs/pull/cardio split.

Nice to see some actual training/nutrition related discussion in here too!
    Mobility had become a bigger priority for sure. My knees and lower biceps/elbows need more time to warm up for sure

I still hate cardio
    I don't know either lol

I find the key to enjoying cardio is variety. I rotate between running, biking, rowing, swimming, and the elliptical occasionally. Each one has their strengths/weaknesses for me. For LISS I prefer running, biking, and the elliptical. For HIIT I like sprints, rowing, and swimming. The past few years I've been doing more endurance competitions, so it helps to have a broad cardio base instead of just getting good at one thing.
    I do walk near the beach which is great for enjoyment. Progressive training though on the stair machine just became so much more straightforward once I got things straightened out.

Hiding from ForumNature 400Lb Gorilla's Avatar
    400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    I had to turn down sex yesterday morning because my back was killing me from Wednesday's DL session. WTF?

Hold me....
    Next time you better roll the hell over and let her do the work

That or go get your lifting belt!

How did everyone's Thanksgiving go?
    You would be surprised just how much time I have to waste.

400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz
    Strong advice. Could've just gone for the BJ too.

I was in so much pain I didn't even think. Just said no and rolled over. LOL!

In other news it feels better today. I actually lifted for a bit.

Good to hear. Honestly, I am only in my mid-30s but I ave realized a need lately to focus on things like mobility, cardio, and flexibility. I am not gonna be an elite level powerlifter so might as well give as much focus to longevity and general health as I do to chasing the bigger numbers.

Plus the old lady likes to see the slimmer waist and definition that all my new cardio has gotten me . I am impressed that at 50+ you were still pulling 600+ regularly. My best pull was 615 and I dont think I went over 600 but once every two months or so.

615 is still my best too. Done it twice I think. Once in competition and once in the gym. Pulled 600 more times than I can count.

Attempted 635 once and I swear it was so close. If I had a mirror and realized how close it was I would have tried harder but I bailed.
    You only missed that 635 by locking out the knees! You made the 605 look too easy. Seriously, as a gym lift you should definitely count 635. It looks like you locked it out and only bent your knees to prepare for a hitch that you never needed.

Would have got 3 reds for that in comp for sure. Still felt good at 51 to get that close.....

I need to get past this funk I've been in lately. It's pissing me off. I try so hard but I feel like everything is 1 step forward 3 steps back. And it sucks.
    Maybe time to take those three steps back yourself? Focus on form and hypertrophy, and maybe even prehab/rehab work, for a while and let the strength gains take a back seat for a few months?

Good to see you man! Same old same old here. I actually just hit an all time PR on bench press yesterday. I'll probably never beat my old PR's on squat and deadlift since my back is jacked up, so I was pretty happy about this one...

Awesome. It's been probably 15 years since you started a journal here and in that time a lot of people have burned out and quit while you're obviously still training hard. I learned a lot from your training. You always had excellent form and trained instinctively.

Attempted 635 once and I swear it was so close. If I had a mirror and realized how close it was I would have tried harder but I bailed.

Here's the vid. SO. CLOSE.

February 2019 I was 51 at the time. Not bad.....

Immediately before that I pulled 605 no belt
    If that previous 605 set was a bit lighter and you were wearing straps like most people you would have locked out 635. Pulling 600+ in your 50s is something people will only fully appreciate when they get to that age. A lot of people that age can't tie their shoes without discomfort and you're pulling 6 and a half plates.

Originally Posted by 400Lb Gorilla View Post
    Maybe time to take those three steps back yourself? Focus on form and hypertrophy, and maybe even prehab/rehab work, for a while and let the strength gains take a back seat for a few months?
    This is good advice. Plan training phases with lighter weights with the emphasis on volume and form that specifically targets muscle growth.

In addition to lighter weights and higher reps/more sets you could do a deload for 1-2 weeks where you focus on arms, calves, side delts, etc. So you're still in the gym but you're giving the larger muscles and those tendons some time to recover.

Pulling from the floor week in week out really isn't necessary either. Even with a 600+ DL you might find 405 is more than enough on RDLs for sets of 8-10 focusing on a good stretch in the hamstrings. If I could only pick one form of deadlift to do for the rest of my days this would be it. RDLs + rows + shrugs (strict form, no legs or bending the arms) should build up plenty of thickness in the back without having to regularly pull heavy from the floor. Weighted back extensions are also worth including.

RDLs for sets of 8-10 focusing on a good stretch in the hamstrings. If I could only pick one form of deadlift to do for the rest of my days this would be it.
    Cosigned. My favorite posterior chain exercise.
    I don't know either lol

After being inceptioned yesterday I went home and did RDL's/Long bar rows

Feels good man
    I don't know either lol

Page 202 of 237 FirstFirst ... 102 152 192 200 201 202 203 204 212 ... LastLast