Page 186 of 219 FirstFirst ... 86 136 176 184 185 186 187 188 196 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,580 of 6542
    Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    Yeah dat metabolic stress.

Idunno, intensity is what I feel is missing, and I like adding sets and reps. The strength foundation development is pretty key right now I feel.
    Are you seeing gains in muscle?

Everyone's got different goals but for me I wouldn't want to be getting stronger without gaining muscle and I wouldn't want to be getting bigger without getting stronger. Fortunately the formula is really simple and it works. People will look for all kinds of ways to make it more complicated.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Really can't tell at this point.

I don't necessarily mind getting stronger without getting bigger. Really, I'm betting on strength gains having a good margin of benefit right now as far as muscle growth pertaining to thorough training developments of either progressive overload or metabolic stress. I doubt I'm good enough to make those mix well but at the same time gains in bench are gains in bench and 7 sets every six days isn't the worst to put your joints through.

Also I've started administered deloads consistently and I feel pretty good about myself there.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's a fair question for speculation really. I'm not exactly a powerlifter so it begs the question as to why go for once a week low reps when it's been established here that neither is essential contrary to what conventional wisdom or otherwise tends to dictate.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    It's a fair question for speculation really. I'm not exactly a powerlifter so it begs the question as to why go for once a week low reps when it's been established here that neither is essential contrary to what conventional wisdom or otherwise tends to dictate.
    Just my 2 cents, I'd try a routine that is more bodybuilding focused.

You don't need to be oiled up on a stage showing off your striated glutes to have a reason to focus on bodybuilding. For example there are plenty of big dudes who never try to isolate side delts or upper pecs or arms or calves and at the end of the day look a lot less impressive that they could be for their size. That's where bodybuilding comes in.

I've always had decent forearms but never trained them directly. Now the bodybuilding angle would be why not train them directly and see how much bigger they could get? I could be targeting them 3x a week for 15 minutes. See, now there's a goal. I might just do that.

As far as gaining mass, I'd think my chest has had the most development. Otherwise my back and leg workouts are geared for more volume. Also I'm fairly certain my chest is bigger, but points taken.

As far as high frequency vs low frequency I've found this to be a timely article:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/hi...-low-frequency

Granted it's high intensity compared for both workout frequencies.

As far as gaining mass, I'd think my chest has had the most development. Otherwise my back and leg workouts are geared for more volume. Also I'm fairly certain my chest is bigger, but points taken.
    Just my 2 cents. We're only on this planet for a short time and natty T levels will be in decline after a certain age so you might as well get as much from lifting as possible and that means gaining muscle. Unless you're an athlete in a sport where you can't afford to gain more weight because it will slow you down or increase the risk of injury (e.g. knees) or too much muscle would affect endurance, why not see what's possible?

There is always something to work on. When was the last time you saw someone with a chest like mid 70s Arnold? It's never going to be too big unless maybe you didn't train anything else. When was the last time someone's shoulders were too wide or side delts overdeveloped? Again arms can only be too big if you've got puny shoulders and small forearms. Otherwise no reason to hold back there. Ever seen someone and thought their calves were too big? Same goes for forearms. There is always a weak point that could be targeted.

Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
    Just my 2 cents. We're only on this planet for a short time and natty T levels will be in decline after a certain age so you might as well get as much from lifting as possible and that means gaining muscle. Unless you're an athlete in a sport where you can't afford to gain more weight because it will slow you down or increase the risk of injury (e.g. knees) or too much muscle would affect endurance, why not see what's possible?
    Alright, well said, but going for strength hasn't been a paramount investment for me really. I've been doing this rep scheme for about 6 months give or take and it's a very interesting and fruitful learning curve. Up until I can remember I was doing 10 reps like that was all I could see, and really for as much as I exhausted the muscles, learning proper form and execution of exercises has made the 10 rep range kind of blunt without the form improvement that was elicited by 2-rep sets. Granted this is also a development of back arch and overall leg-drive technique, but you it's a different test when it comes to learning. Still though I had a lot of fun ramping up sets of 10 with the bench. One time I ran a circuit of 5 x 15 for as long as it carried.

And if you are going for strength in a sporting sense, compound movement intensity is priceless.
    Last edited by GeneralSerpant; 03-15-2020 at 01:15 PM.

And if you are going for strength in a sporting sense, compound movement intensity is priceless.
    Compound exercises are great but if that's all you do you can definitely be missing out. Later in a workout when you're fatigued you'll get more out of isolation exercises. Then there's assistance exercises to bring up compound lifts. It all has its place.

In other news... damn this forum is quiet. You'd think people staying home would be spending even more time online.

You've got to feel for people in the arts, namely people who perform for a living and rely on those gigs to pay the bills. Ever since file sharing nuked album sales this is all they've got. Same goes for people in hospitality who work casual or part-time and have seen their hours reduced or told their services are no longer required. The economic scope of this thing is difficult to comprehend.

My county has issued no non-essential outing for 3 weeks. /o/

Spoiler!

It was effective by midnight ordered yesterday.

Compound exercises are great but if that's all you do you can definitely be missing out. Later in a workout when you're fatigued you'll get more out of isolation exercises. Then there's assistance exercises to bring up compound lifts. It all has its place.
    Well I've heard that filling out workouts like that will obfuscate strength recovery, but I've never been much for following rules.

My county has issued no non-essential outing for 3 weeks. /o/
    Bay Area? At least you can exercise.

Would be nice to have a home out in the middle of nowhere stacked with supplies so you could just escape this madness for the next few months.

Anyway this nanny state can't be far away.

Yeah I went for a jog today. Almost 2 km and walked back through another neighborhood.

As early as I get up I'm looking forward to running in the dark. Maybe even start cracking eggs by the glass.

Yeah I went for a jog today. Almost 2 km and walked back through another neighborhood.

As early as I get up I'm looking forward to running in the dark. Maybe even start cracking eggs by the glass.

I've been trying to get in as many workouts as possible before they start closing gyms around here.

So there was 9 reported cases in my county, and it seems that the last report from 7 to 9 they immediately put a plan into action for the shelter order. Looking into it I read some doctor said he believes that there's way more at the moment, which can mean a couple things, but yeah I'd imagine like 10-15 fold maybe. Really though it's weird wondering how many people actually have it and if the county will reduce it or have to drag it out or something.

65 tons of American Pride BluntD's Avatar
    BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My gym officially closed and I can't even score a packet of chicken from the grocery store. About to be the star of my own personal Falling Down.
    Return of the Mack?

Good movie. Remember the Burger King scene? Classic.

Originally Posted by BluntD View Post
    My gym officially closed and I can't even score a packet of chicken from the grocery store. About to be the star of my own personal Falling Down.
    Stay strong Blunto.

Panic buyers are selfish scum. The crazy thing is everything they're stockpiling is made in this country so it's not like they're going to stop making it. It's now a struggle to buy fresh bread. These fkkers are probably stashing it all in a massive deep freezer as they nervously count down to the end of civilization.

Walked into a store tonight and this was the view. Meat section completely wiped out.

BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Stay strong Blunto.

Panic buyers are selfish scum. The crazy thing is everything they're stockpiling is made in this country so it's not like they're going to stop making it. It's now a struggle to buy fresh bread. These fkkers are probably stashing it all in a massive deep freezer as they nervously count down to the end of civilization.

Walked into a store tonight and this was the view. Meat section completely wiped out.

F'ing aholes. That's ridiculous. I finally managed to score some chicken yesterday; of course all the vegetables I needed were completely sold out, go figure. I'm over this.

This is the very definition of #firstworldproblems, considering what some of my friends are going through with their small businesses right now (not to mention those who are sick and, ya know, actually dying)... but man I am depressed about the gym closing. I was on a great roll with training lately; been running the Ortmayer deadlift routine since the beginning of the year, and was two weeks away from wrapping up and testing for a new max. After all my injuries the past few years it's the first time I've really been feeling like my old strong self again, where I legitimately felt on the verge of setting an actual new PR again finally. Now who knows when we'll even get back in there. ARGH
    Return of the Mack?

Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    DR. 3time
    Wisconsin Badgers, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Bucks
    ~Cobra Kai Crew~

Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Say, is taab still alive?
    DR. 3time
    ~Cobra Kai Crew~

inb4farley
    DR. 3time
    ~Cobra Kai Crew~

Originally Posted by Orlando1234977 View Post
    inb4farley
    I won't lie I laughed but stockpiling in happy times when no one cared is a completely different ballgame to what's going on right now.

This is the very definition of #firstworldproblems, considering what some of my friends are going through with their small businesses right now (not to mention those who are sick and, ya know, actually dying)... but man I am depressed about the gym closing. I was on a great roll with training lately; been running the Ortmayer deadlift routine since the beginning of the year, and was two weeks away from wrapping up and testing for a new max. After all my injuries the past few years it's the first time I've really been feeling like my old strong self again, where I legitimately felt on the verge of setting an actual new PR again finally. Now who knows when we'll even get back in there. ARGH
    That's fcked and people will start going crazy in lockdown with nothing to do. I've been going to the gym almost every day doing 2hr plus workouts because I know the doors will be locked soon. Never trained this hard in my life. Already done deadlifts twice this week.

I'm sure I'll be in the same boat shortly and as soon as someone in the gym tests positive they'll pull the pin. My plan is to get a sled and some farmers walk handles so at least I can keep the lower body going and there are quite a few parks around here with dip bars. Anything like that near you?

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    I wouldn't sweat the lifting gains too much, boyos. This is an unprecedented event in our lifetime and you just gotta roll with it and adapt. Having to take a break isn't going to set anyone back too far. Yea, maybe miss a PR and have to re-track a bit when things get better, but in the big scheme of things no big deal.

As far as the world situation, it's honestly a wake up call for a lot of people. I've been telling people for years things like supermarkets are only 3 days from running out of stuff if sh!t ever hits the fan, and back in early Feb. was telling them this was going to be different. All I ever get is the "can't happen here" mentality. A month ago they could have sold some stock and bought an extra package of TP, but now they are all running around full potato with their hair on fire.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I posted this on Feb. 1st:

Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    The thing is, eventually a black swan event will happen. When it does, the majority of the people will not realize it until well past the point they could have. They always talk about things like grocery stores only having a 3 day stock of food, etc. How are people in Wuhan getting their supplies right now? Or the other urban centers that get shut down? It's not necessarily about the flu itself being the zombie virus, it's about being prepared for things like the government reactions, public panic, etc.

I'm not sure this will ever amount to more than SARS did, for example, but I don't remember so many airlines all stopping service to a major industrialized nation before. Or countries issuing blanket bans on travelers from abroad. The reactions we are seeing seem pretty extreme, which does make you wonder. Again, regardless of the lethality of the virus itself, it is smart to be prepared for how the public will react to the perception of the virus' severity, or what measures the Government might impose.

Cliffs: a little extra rice and toilet paper never hurt anyone.
    Last edited by VoxExMachina; 03-20-2020 at 10:40 AM.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Scott Herman Recommended overtraining leading up to the closures. His video came out after my gym shut down, but yeah I was about ready for a deload.

My plan is to get good at pushups and squats, maybe become more proficient at pistol squats and one-arm pushups.

I have one set of dumbbells and I thought that it's interesting to think of the different ranges of shoulder developments you might achieve if you were stuck with any from a light set to one that's too big for most isolations.

As far as the world situation, it's honestly a wake up call for a lot of people. I've been telling people for years things like supermarkets are only 3 days from running out of stuff if sh!t ever hits the fan, and back in early Feb. was telling them this was going to be different. All I ever get is the "can't happen here" mentality. A month ago they could have sold some stock and bought an extra package of TP, but now they are all running around full potato with their hair on fire.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Apparently a day's worth of meat in supermarkets here is selling out in two hours. Given that it's all sourced locally what is possessing these morons to buy it like they'll never see it again? The worst part is they're traveling to rural locations to fleece those stores as well so locals get screwed. Horrible behavior. It's a wake up call alright — society has lost the plot.

I did see a positive story yesterday. An ex athlete who owns a gin distillery halted production to produce hand sanitizer in bulk for the local hospitals and sell it to them at cost. That's what we want to see right now. Not people overcome with greed with no consideration for anyone else.

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Apparently a day's worth of meat in supermarkets here is selling out in two hours. Given that it's all sourced locally what is possessing these morons to buy it like they'll never see it again? The worst part is they're traveling to rural locations to fleece those stores as well so locals get screwed. Horrible behavior. It's a wake up call alright — society has lost the plot.

I did see a positive story yesterday. An ex athlete who owns a gin distillery halted production to produce hand sanitizer in bulk for the local hospitals and sell it to them at cost. That's what we want to see right now. Not people overcome with greed with no consideration for anyone else.
    The hoarding behavior has been seen time and time again through history. Scarcity breeds fear which breeds hoarding, greed, and price gouging. It's unfortunate behavior, but not unexpected. You have to accept that it's going to happen and be ahead of the curve. Not by hoarding yourself, but by at least stocking up on what you need to a reasonable degree.

The TP thing is funny because it's not like this causes people to crap at anything other than the normal rate (Wall Street brokers excepted). I think what happened is that TP is a bulky item so there are not that many packages on the shelf. So only takes a few gone to make it seem empty then people panic and rush to find some, creating scarcity. Tail wagging the dog.

Then that carries over to other things because people just want to buy stuff to make them feel like something is in their control. As for other stuff like meat or whatever...yeah, it's Soviet Russia out there. Everyone standing in line for a few eggs or a gallon of milk.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Originally Posted by Orlando1234977 View Post
    Say, is taab still alive?
    We lost touch after he had the little gremlins. Hope he's doing alright.

I'm sure I'll be in the same boat shortly and as soon as someone in the gym tests positive they'll pull the pin. My plan is to get a sled and some farmers walk handles so at least I can keep the lower body going and there are quite a few parks around here with dip bars. Anything like that near you?
    Have an "iron gym" at home (the combo pullup\pushup contraption), so that along with some BW squats and Bulgarian split squats using the couch I've been doing some fast-paced, Cross-fit style workouts. Better than nothing I guess. Also doing sprints up and down my stairs which is actually pretty brutal.

I'm just kicking myself because I have a gift-card that I was going use for a cheap barbell set, so I would have something for home use on those days I couldn't make it to the gym...and my lazy ass never got around to getting it.

I wouldn't sweat the lifting gains too much, boyos. This is an unprecedented event in our lifetime and you just gotta roll with it and adapt. Having to take a break isn't going to set anyone back too far. Yea, maybe miss a PR and have to re-track a bit when things get better, but in the big scheme of things no big deal.
    Well if there's a positive in all this, it's bringing some of us back to post for a minute again. Good to see you around still, buddy.
    Return of the Mack?

I wouldn't sweat the lifting gains too much, boyos.
    Nah fuk it. I took 4 years off so no time to rest these days. Now that I've built up the capacity to train 5 days a week 2 hours plus I'm going to start periodizing my training so I have a few weeks of crazy volume before going back to normal then tapering for some heavy PRs.

This situation just drives home how important it is to have a decent home gym. And make no mistake this has set a precedent and we're going to see more panic in reaction to every new disease that jumps from a wet market in Asia and spreads like wildfire through a connected world. Be prepared for more of this and plan for that #lockdownlife.

Have an "iron gym" at home (the combo pullup\pushup contraption), so that along with some BW squats and Bulgarian split squats using the couch I've been doing some fast-paced, Cross-fit style workouts. Better than nothing I guess. Also doing sprints up and down my stairs which is actually pretty brutal.
    Larry Wheels is finding ways to hit PRs outside the gym.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B96yNFbJSSF/

Just to clarify something in case I sound like some reckless prick talking about the gym when they're closing across the world, I've been training late in an empty gym. The only person I've seen is the cleaner and the odd person on a treadmill 30ft away. I wipe down the equipment with hospital grade disinfectant when I'm done with it and I wash my hands as I always have. I'd consider grocery shopping and lining up at a checkout much higher risk.

For the past 3 weeks I've had no close contact with anyone outside my immediate family. Zero socializing. I pick up meals paid for online and pull over somewhere quiet and eat.

Of course I completely understand why they should be closed right now especially with group classes and training in a crowded area — I'm surprised they're still open. Personally I couldn't take more than 3 weeks off at this stage so if that happens I'll be ordering a barbell and plates and it will be business as usual. I can do deadlifts, rows, and overhead press without a rack. There are parks with dip bars. I've got some adjustable 2" thick Ironmind DB handles and an incline bench. Life will go on.

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Luckily I have a decent set-up in my garage. It's still cold here so I bought a space heater from Amazon and it go delivered the other day. Got the temp in the garage from low single digit Celsius to 14.5 Celcius which is about 60F for you 'Mericans and is just fine for lifting.

It's a bit tight so we can't train together but me and my son and step-son stagger our lifting and Mrs Flex is going out for long walks while I lift.

Here's my setup:

Rogue Monster Power Rack with Monolift Attachments, Rogue Monster Bench w/ Thompson Fat Pad, Rogue Multi-Grip Bar, Texas Deadlift Bar, Rogue Curl Bar, York Power Bar, 900ish lbs of plates and some chains.

Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak