Mettiti has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post Pilonidal Cyst Surgery training

So I have been weightlifting seriously for about a year and a half, made good progress in some areas, made negligible progress in other areas, learned a lot of things about weightlifting from it.
    Two days ago, I had a surgery done on a pilonidal cyst I had for a while, I am 19 now and my doctor and I worked out that I had this for about a year or so, and basically what it is; is hair that gets pressed against hard surfaces from unnecessary pressure (sitting down wrong in my case), combined with the level of hair I have on my body and in my tailbone area. This caused very pronounced itchiness at first, lumpiness and then having a bit of blood come out often with bowel movements. And I could argue that taking antibiotics and whatever your doctor prescribes to you may allow you to live with the cyst for a long time, but the risk of it getting infected and seeing blood every time I take a dump, that and how active I am with weightlifting and sports made me decide one getting this surgery and hopefully not worrying about it in the future hopefully.
    The surgery went quickly, as the doctor said, they injected an anesthetic in the mid spine area which caused me to lose feeling from my butt down, had me lay down on my stomach, cut the cyst area, put dressing on it and that was it, I didn't feel anything and didn't feel any discomfort. Withing 3 hours I regained control of my legs and was able to get in a car and be driven home.
    However, when a nurse was about to change the dressing for the wound later that day, blood kept coming out of my wound, and even after changing the dressing for a third time, blood kept coming out rather heavily, which was kind of scary, after which I had to be driven while my ass was basically still dripping blood to the hospital, and had to get a second, "touch up" surgery done by my doctor. This time, anesthetic which was given to me didn't have any effect and it felt very painful sensing the doctor look for the source of the bleeding and dealing with it. The second surgery lasted for about 10 or 15 minutes which felt like hell. Got another dressing in it and was ordered not to change it for 3 days.
    Now I'm on my second day after the second surgery and will be changing the dressing tomorrow. The pain is quite annoying and pronounced, I am unable to sit down, or lie down in an comfortable position to me, certainly not in any shape to do any exercise, and I haven't been eating well for the last 3 days.
    I wonder if anyone has had this kind of surgery before and what are their experience with it, how they dealt with it and how soon afterwards were they able to continue working out and/or what they did to work around pain in that area.
    Cheers

ToolTime2120 is a name known to all. (+5000) ToolTime2120 is a name known to all. (+5000) ToolTime2120 is a name known to all. (+5000) ToolTime2120 is a name known to all. (+5000) ToolTime2120 is a name known to all. (+5000) ToolTime2120 is a name known to all. (+5000) ToolTime2120 is a name known to all. (+5000) ToolTime2120 is a name known to all. (+5000) ToolTime2120 is a name known to all. (+5000) ToolTime2120 is a name known to all. (+5000) ToolTime2120 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    -Discovered cyst in the summer of 2010, had the surgery a year later
    -Got an infection a week later, had to leave the area open to heal
    -worst summer of my life
    -took about 2.5 months to fully recover and get back to the same level I was at in the gym
    Barely use FB, deleted Twitter, never had an Instagram crew
    ★★★ A State of Trance Crew ★★★
    Vocal Trance crew
    IF is GOAT
    ★★★ I was part of the Ultra 2014 Thread Crew ★★★
    ┏(-_-)┛I was part of the Ultra 2015 Thread Crew┗(-_- )┓

Originally Posted by ToolTime2120 View Post
    -Discovered cyst in the summer of 2010, had the surgery a year later
    -Got an infection a week later, had to leave the area open to heal
    -worst summer of my life
    -took about 2.5 months to fully recover and get back to the same level I was at in the gym
    Sounds like a journey, how big was the wound initially ?

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Had my surgery around 19 yrs old a couple of months after they drained the cyst (half a beaker full). After they initially drained it they packed gauze in the hole, around 4' of 1" wide gauze every day. When I had surgery they nicked a blood vessel and like you I would bleed. They eventually had to go back in and take care of the bleeder, they I was fine. It took about 2 months of decreasing amounts of gauze before the hole closed properly. I still felt effects of the surgery for about 10-12 years (sometime painful to sit in theater seating). My son had the same thing but didn't need surgery, he still has a hole, but it's minor and hasn't gotten infected since the original cyst. He shaves that part of his but periodically.

Originally Posted by sowilson View Post
    Had my surgery around 19 yrs old a couple of months after they drained the cyst (half a beaker full). After they initially drained it they packed gauze in the hole, around 4' of 1" wide gauze every day. When I had surgery they nicked a blood vessel and like you I would bleed. They eventually had to go back in and take care of the bleeder, they I was fine. It took about 2 months of decreasing amounts of gauze before the hole closed properly. I still felt effects of the surgery for about 10-12 years (sometime painful to sit in theater seating). My son had the same thing but didn't need surgery, he still has a hole, but it's minor and hasn't gotten infected since the original cyst. He shaves that part of his but periodically.
    Thank you for sharing, but looking back at it, would you do the surgery again or would you try to go on without doing it ?

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Mettiti View Post
    Thank you for sharing, but looking back at it, would you do the surgery again or would you try to go on without doing it ?
    I had a huge cyst and surgery was necessary for it, I didn't have the option of leaving it be. My son on the other hand had a very small cyst and it's healed nicely leaving a small hole that so far hasn't presented a problem.