ibiza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Smith-machine vs. Free weight (bench press)

I'm pretty new to bodybuilding. 18 years old, 160 lbs. And I am pretty weak. I can only bench 25 lbs. on each side of the bar with a smith machine.

My question is this: Would it be better for me to use the free weight bench? I'm thinking that it will build more muscle in other areas other than my back, ie stabilizing muscles. But mabey the smith machine will help me concentrate on my chest.

Since I'm so weak, should I stay on the smith machine for a while, then move to the free weight bench?

One more question. Should I do my incline dumbell press before or after my flat bench press?

Registered User Complete Muscle's Avatar
    Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Re: Smith-machine vs. Free weight (bench press)

Originally posted by ibiza
    ...My question is this: Would it be better for me to use the free weight bench? I'm thinking that it will build more muscle in other areas other than my back, ie stabilizing muscles...
    You mean chest I'm sure. I always vote for free weights over machine because of the use of stabilizing muscles and the natural range of motion. Much better for strength/muscle gaining.

One more question. Should I do my incline dumbell press before or after my flat bench press?
    Neither. You should concentrate on the basic coumpound lifts, one per body part. I would choose either parallel bar dips or flat bench press for chest.
    Make time to eat!

HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The smith machine has few safe uses for training. Never use it to perfrom full range movements such as the squat or bench press. This is because it locks you into an unatural bar pathway, which sooner or later will cause injury, possilbly a serious one.

Free weight exercises involve stabilising muscles which is why they are harder to perform when compared to machine alternatives, as you have to control the bar not merely press.

ibiza, please invest in "The Insiders Tell All Handbook on Weight Training Technique" by Stuart McRobert. It has detailed explination of the most productive exercises, the hazardous movements to avoid and very clear instruction on perfecting your exercise technique. It will answer most if not all of your questions in this area.

Peace
    My progress goes up and down more frequently than a whore at work, but I still love to lift.

labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ibiza-

if i were your trainer id have u do 2-3 sets on the bench press and follow it up with 2-3 sets of db incline press at a 30 degree angle. i would then have u do 1 set of bodyweight dips (executed to work the chest) to failure.

your reps would be 6-10 and your rest between sets would be 3minutes. and dont forget to stretch between EVERY set.
    "...but fools despise wisdom and discipline."

ibiza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ill use free weights from now on. Its just that I feel so weak. Is it ok to take some weight off of each side if im not hitting my target reps?

Registered User Complete Muscle's Avatar
    Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by ibiza
    Ill use free weights from now on. Its just that I feel so weak. Is it ok to take some weight off of each side if im not hitting my target reps?
    Of course man! Strict form is much more important than heavy weight. As you progress you will learn what rep range you respond best to. As you see there are different approaches by different people on these forums!
    Make time to eat!