MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000)

Question Foam Rolling anyone?

I have recently started foam rolling. Can someone please explain to me what I'm supposed to do? I just roll and if a point hurts, I kinda hold at that point for a while and roll other places. The pain is so much that I can't really keep on holding position. For example, when I'm doing it for my sore calves, my leg starts shaking violently if I hold that spot for a while. The pain also becomes too much. Or is it supposed to be that way?

Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Elliot Hulse has a very good youtube video on it.

onelochevy is just really nice. (+1000) onelochevy is just really nice. (+1000) onelochevy is just really nice. (+1000) onelochevy is just really nice. (+1000) onelochevy is just really nice. (+1000) onelochevy is just really nice. (+1000) onelochevy is just really nice. (+1000) onelochevy is just really nice. (+1000) onelochevy is just really nice. (+1000) onelochevy is just really nice. (+1000) onelochevy is just really nice. (+1000)
    I use this routine from catalyst athletics.

http://www.catalystathletics.com/vid...Weightlifting/

Also, what kind of roller do you have? I'd recommend using a smooth black foam roller. Don't use one with the spikes especially if you're just starting. I know it hurts, but it will get less intense as you do it more.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by MSKFAHIM View Post
    I have recently started foam rolling. Can someone please explain to me what I'm supposed to do? I just roll and if a point hurts, I kinda hold at that point for a while and roll other places. The pain is so much that I can't really keep on holding position. For example, when I'm doing it for my sore calves, my leg starts shaking violently if I hold that spot for a while. The pain also becomes too much. Or is it supposed to be that way?
    When I find a spot that hurts, I roll (very) slowly back and forth across it. I use small movements on those areas, probably no more than an inch of movement total.

With regard to your leg shaking, it sounds to me like you need to either ease up on the pressure a bit or decrease the amount of time that you're stopping on the spot that hurts.

It definitely sounds like you need it though...
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Fairplay View Post
    Elliot Hulse has a very good youtube video on it.
    I actually follow his foam rolling routine. Helped me recover a lot quicker. EXCEPT for my calves.

Originally Posted by onelochevy View Post
    I use this routine from catalyst athletics.

http://www.catalystathletics.com/vid...Weightlifting/

Also, what kind of roller do you have? I'd recommend using a smooth black foam roller. Don't use one with the spikes especially if you're just starting. I know it hurts, but it will get less intense as you do it more.
    I use something virtually identical to the following roller. It probably is the one I use. My gym provides this for the members. I didn't buy any.

I am following Elliot Hulse's routine.

Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    When I find a spot that hurts, I roll (very) slowly back and forth across it. I use small movements on those areas, probably no more than an inch of movement total.

With regard to your leg shaking, it sounds to me like you need to either ease up on the pressure a bit or decrease the amount of time that you're stopping on the spot that hurts.

It definitely sounds like you need it though...
    My calves are the only problem area. It feels good to roll out everything else. The side quad thing, IT Band or whatever it's called, get some pain there too. But that goes away after a while of rolling. The calves however. Holy mother of god! By the way, I didn't know that you have to kinda roll over the pain/tight spot. I thought you just stop there and hold for some 30 seconds or until pain goes away. You are now telling me that I should do something like a tiny roll of 1 inch over that zone.

I enjoy deep squatting and the only things that ever get sore these days from that are my calves. I can squat down on my room right now, easy! But I know I'll be effed if I try to get up. My calves cry out with pain. Especially the posterior side of the right calf muscle. That is a major annoyance when I'm squatting. In between sets, I'm massaging my calves while rest of the people only ever injures their back.

P.S. I only ever roll AFTER my workouts and I workout 3 days a week now.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    My calves are the only problem area. It feels good to roll out everything else. The side quad thing, IT Band or whatever it's called, get some pain there too. But that goes away after a while of rolling. The calves however. Holy mother of god! By the way, I didn't know that you have to kinda roll over the pain/tight spot. I thought you just stop there and hold for some 30 seconds or until pain goes away. You are now telling me that I should do something like a tiny roll of 1 inch over that zone.
    Maybe even less than an inch. But I do think that some small amount of movement is beneficial. The point is that you need to stop at the points that hurt and do something there to break up the knots or adhesions.

You might also try rotating your calves (slightly) going from side-to-side on the roller (i.e. not rolling) when you find a spot that's tender.

I enjoy deep squatting and the only things that ever get sore these days from that are my calves. I can squat down on my room right now, easy! But I know I'll be effed if I try to get up. My calves cry out with pain. Especially the posterior side of the right calf muscle. That is a major annoyance when I'm squatting. In between sets, I'm massaging my calves while rest of the people only ever injures their back.
    I often use the foam roller or use some other tool between sets. For me, it's my knees that often hurt. For that, I'll foam roll my quads and IT band.

It provides a surprising amount of relief.

P.S. I only ever roll AFTER my workouts and I workout 3 days a week now.
    Consider getting your own roller so that you can work on your calves at home too.

BTW, when I do work on my calves, I sit on a low stool and use a hand roller (rolling pin) to figure out where the trigger points are. I then work on those sore spots using the center knob on a Body Back Buddy. (See http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=137619833 .)

Homemade rolling pin (on left):

Body Back Buddy (on left):

SumuhmuhBish is on a distinguished road. (+10) SumuhmuhBish is on a distinguished road. (+10) SumuhmuhBish is on a distinguished road. (+10) SumuhmuhBish is on a distinguished road. (+10) SumuhmuhBish is on a distinguished road. (+10) SumuhmuhBish is on a distinguished road. (+10) SumuhmuhBish is on a distinguished road. (+10) SumuhmuhBish is on a distinguished road. (+10) SumuhmuhBish is on a distinguished road. (+10) SumuhmuhBish is on a distinguished road. (+10) SumuhmuhBish is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I bought the $15 gold's gym POS at wal-mart after a slip on a deadlift. I could barely walk in the store b/c it hurt so bad. 10 minutes after a painful rolling and everything just popped back in place. The last time I had a massage that hurt this bad was when I had therapeutic massage after a car accident - hurt like hell, but damn it felt good when done.

I just laid on it and rolled. Now I used it for warm ups as well as on rest days for with my stretching.

@KBKB

WOW! You seem well prepared! I am not sure if it's fine to do this everyday. If it only makes things better by using everyday, it's worth investing into some rollers and balls.

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The pain is good because it is your body telling you where it needs work. The pain is caused by your muscle basically contracting to protect itself. This is usually caused by tightness. The more pain = the tighter your fascia are. It won't be something you resolve on the spot. It will take work and repetition. When you hit that pain point, hold it as long as you can. You muscles will tighten up and gradually begin to relax. The relaxing is a good thing because that is your muscles loosening up.

Use some caution when rolling when you've got delayed onset muscle soreness. You're not likely to hurt yourself, but it will be more painful as your muscles are sensitive and not fully recovered from your previous workout.

Go to whatever pain threshold you can tolerate. Post workout is the best time to foam roll, or do any type of myofascial release. The pain will not last forever.

Originally Posted by smokeater View Post
    The pain is good because it is your body telling you where it needs work. The pain is caused by your muscle basically contracting to protect itself. This is usually caused by tightness. The more pain = the tighter your fascia are. It won't be something you resolve on the spot. It will take work and repetition. When you hit that pain point, hold it as long as you can. You muscles will tighten up and gradually begin to relax. The relaxing is a good thing because that is your muscles loosening up.

Use some caution when rolling when you've got delayed onset muscle soreness. You're not likely to hurt yourself, but it will be more painful as your muscles are sensitive and not fully recovered from your previous workout.

Go to whatever pain threshold you can tolerate. Post workout is the best time to foam roll, or do any type of myofascial release. The pain will not last forever.
    I just returned from the gym. My calves just wont heal! I squat 3 times a week and this is bothering me a lot. Not a single part of my body gets sore from my workouts but the calves. They don't really heal that much between workouts. When I squat all the way down, I have to be prepared for a calf tearing kind of pain in both my calves (more on the right one). Wide stance, narrow stance, medium stance, tried it all. The only thing I can think of, which might solve this problem, is stopping at parallel. The trouble is, I don't like not getting to sit almost all the way down.

I get scared trying to stretch my calves before workout. I tried doing this before workout:

The trouble is that after sitting in that position for a minute, when I tried getting up, it felt like I damaged my calves permanently. I'm mobile enough to effortlessly sit down ass to grass. It's the calves that scream out on my way up. This ruins all my lifts as I'm constantly in pain. I also tried to stretch them by other means like this:

NOTE: My toes are far closer to the wall than this guy's when I do this.

I don't walk around much. I'm mostly bed ridden. Is that what makes my calves that tight? This is so sad.

Several thoughts...

1) You may be overdoing it. If you're in significant pain just from stretching, that's a bad sign.

2) Try foam rolling or some other form of trigger-point/myofascial release before stretching. If you have really bad trigger points in your calves (or anywhere), you need to release these prior to doing other forms of stretching. Attempting to do your stretches with those trigger points still present will just make things worse.

3) Why are you mostly bed-ridden? Perhaps address that issue first?

Onagoth is just really nice. (+1000) Onagoth is just really nice. (+1000) Onagoth is just really nice. (+1000) Onagoth is just really nice. (+1000) Onagoth is just really nice. (+1000) Onagoth is just really nice. (+1000) Onagoth is just really nice. (+1000) Onagoth is just really nice. (+1000) Onagoth is just really nice. (+1000) Onagoth is just really nice. (+1000) Onagoth is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've foam rolled my back because I sit in an office most of the day. It has helped a lot.

And for the past several weeks I have foam rolled my hips and done various hip flexor stretches....Last Thurs was the first time I squatted ATG since rejoining the gym. Felt good, but had barely any weight on the bar.

I find the foam roller helps a lot with small lumbar soreness after deadlifts. Usually any discomfort is gone the night after foam rolling

Originally Posted by Onagoth View Post
    I've foam rolled my back because I sit in an office most of the day. It has helped a lot.

And for the past several weeks I have foam rolled my hips and done various hip flexor stretches....Last Thurs was the first time I squatted ATG since rejoining the gym. Felt good, but had barely any weight on the bar.

I find the foam roller helps a lot with small lumbar soreness after deadlifts. Usually any discomfort is gone the night after foam rolling
    Foam rolling seems is helping me recover too. But it is having next to no effects on my calves unfortunately.

Several thoughts...

1) You may be overdoing it. If you're in significant pain just from stretching, that's a bad sign.
    What do you mean by that? Overdoing the rolling or squat? Or did you mean that I was trying to hit more depth than I can handle? Anyway, here is a video of my squats on my first day back to the gym. I'm a bit more mobile/flexible now after 3 sessions:

2) Try foam rolling or some other form of trigger-point/myofascial release before stretching. If you have really bad trigger points in your calves (or anywhere), you need to release these prior to doing other forms of stretching. Attempting to do your stretches with those trigger points still present will just make things worse.
    I might just give foam rolling before stretching a try. However, I feel like the rolling will tire my calves out pre-workout and my squats will suffer.

3) Why are you mostly bed-ridden? Perhaps address that issue first?
    I never get out of my room. Don't like socializing. Take about 100 steps total a day when I have to get out of my room. On my laptop all the time. From September onwards, I will be forced to move around more. However, I was like this for almost the last 2 years. Did and do everything using my computer from me bed. This has also affected my overall energy levels. I kinda feel tired all the time. I have recently started going out for a walk on non lifting days for an hour. The air out here is so polluted that I need to use masks to keep myself from getting sinus attacks. For someone like me who already hates getting out of his den, that's just a very unfortunate situation. My belly got big not by eating a lot but simply because I'm bed ridden all the time.

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I just returned from the gym. My calves just wont heal! I squat 3 times a week and this is bothering me a lot. Not a single part of my body gets sore from my workouts but the calves. They don't really heal that much between workouts. When I squat all the way down, I have to be prepared for a calf tearing kind of pain in both my calves (more on the right one). Wide stance, narrow stance, medium stance, tried it all. The only thing I can think of, which might solve this problem, is stopping at parallel. The trouble is, I don't like not getting to sit almost all the way down.

I get scared trying to stretch my calves before workout. I tried doing this before workout:

The trouble is that after sitting in that position for a minute, when I tried getting up, it felt like I damaged my calves permanently. I'm mobile enough to effortlessly sit down ass to grass. It's the calves that scream out on my way up. This ruins all my lifts as I'm constantly in pain. I also tried to stretch them by other means like this:

NOTE: My toes are far closer to the wall than this guy's when I do this.

I don't walk around much. I'm mostly bed ridden. Is that what makes my calves that tight? This is so sad.
    My first thought is that you are squatting too much. Depending on your technique, your calves can get quite a bit of use during squats. Remember that squats are perhaps the most demanding exercise (deadlifts being the only other competitor for that title). Your body needs time to recover, that is just basic physiology.

From what you described I think you have some type of calf injury. The only way to recover from muscular injury is through rest. Your body will heal itself, but it needs time. It might be good if you can get this diagnosed formally.

My suggestion is to give your body rest. Give your body 2 weeks of rest when it comes to all lower body training, and upper body training that might engage your calves (dumbbell military presses where your calves have to help your leg kick then dumbbell up to your shoulder). Once you finish your 2 week rest period ease back into your leg workouts, but only once a week. For a month, just do box squats. If you're not familiar with box squats go to Joe Defranco's youtube page and view his technique video on box squats. Westside barbell has a bunch of videos as well, but the aren't great for those learning the technique (better for novices). The reason I recommend box squats is because they fully engage all of your typical squatting muscles, but don't put too much on the calves when you take a wider stance. Also, buy yourself a pair of floss bands. You can get these on Rogue's website, or from a number of fitness retail stores. Floss bands are rubber bands that you wrap around your muscles to help compress them during exercise. A compressed muscle performs better and heals more efficiently. Kelly Starrett has a video on youtube for how to wrap them. It's pretty easy and you can use them on days when your calves just hurt for not apparent reason.

I'd strongly suggest getting this looked at if this is a long term issue for you. If it is actually a muscle injury then the plan of action you need may be totally different from what I listed above.

geoffshort2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile How to get the most from your foam roller! (And 4 common m

Hi all,
    I have just been reading this thread, as I previously was unsure on how to foam roller correctly too. I read this blog about foam rolling online and I learnt loads from it, so I thought I’d share it with you so hopefully you can benefit from reading it too! For some reason it won’t let me post the link on here, but if you type in to Google ‘Choice Physio Foam Rolling Blog’ it should come up!

Hope that helps!

Geoff