Thread: Symetry related

trtlp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Symetry related

Hi,

I'm over 40 and have been working out off and on since a teenager, with essentially no gains.

I also play guitar; Acoustic guitar. The significance of the guitar playing is that my "physique" is pretty well contorted to a guitar playing position. So ever since a teenager, I've moved between bouts of guitar playing and bouts of weight lifting. But I've never been happy with my body building efforts, because my body and muscle development is very uneven and defiantly not symmetrical. While I'm in pretty good shape, I'd never take my shirt in the presence of others, because I'm that skewed. One shoulder is larger than the other and even shoulder height is different, one pec is larger and very different than the other. Forearms are way different, lats are uneven, neck and head kinda favor and shift to one side, etc. So when I do dig into lifting, I'm always uncomfortable. Standing, sitting, whatever. I just feel skewed. And of course, the workout itself, because both sides of my body are never at an equal strength.

I guess at this age it really doesn't matter, but I still crave the workout; I just can't sacrifice music completely to look good.

Anyone else in the same boat?

***Edit to add:

I forgot to ask about recovery time. When I work out and I'm not playing guitar, recovery is rather normal. When I am playing guitar, recover is impossible for the right (strumming) side of my body. So I can never really get a good routine going. Just playing guitar in a serious manner amkes me sore.
    Last edited by trtlp; 05-31-2016 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Additional info

mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You need to stick with working out, so you can fix those imbalances. Over the long haul, muscle imbalances typically tend to work themselves out with appropriate training regiments and nutrition.

I don't see any reason why you can't play the guitar and weight train at the same time.

goatpecs will become famous soon enough. (+50) goatpecs will become famous soon enough. (+50) goatpecs will become famous soon enough. (+50) goatpecs will become famous soon enough. (+50) goatpecs will become famous soon enough. (+50) goatpecs will become famous soon enough. (+50) goatpecs will become famous soon enough. (+50) goatpecs will become famous soon enough. (+50) goatpecs will become famous soon enough. (+50) goatpecs will become famous soon enough. (+50) goatpecs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Back in college I was an avid gamer . I would sit on my bed with no back support for hours a day and combine this with sitting in a desk at class and work all day I became very inflexible . However one side was more flexible and it affected essentially all my compound lifts . For example on squats my body would shift to the left , or barbell bench my body would favor one side and my left side would always be higher and doing more work. However, when I was actually lifting I couldn't tell I was doing this and it went on for years . This resulted in pretty much one side of my body being bigger, down from my hamstrings up to my traps . It was so bad on Db rows I could hit 80lbs or 12 reps on Db rows but couldn't even hit it for 5 reps on the smaller side.So what I have been doing is incorporating a lot of unilateral work where muscles groups receive the same amount of work(such as Dumbbells , cables , or machines) I still do my compounds but I make sure I am even and this has required me to drop the weight and really focus on my form. Also I work everyday on my mobility and flexibility .
    Also remember we are our own worst critic. It might not be as bad as you think and even if it is people probably don't even notice .
    Hope this helped at least somewhat lol

mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by goatpecs View Post
    incorporating a lot of unilateral work where muscles groups receive the same amount of work(such as Dumbbells , cables , or machines)
    Strong this. You want to do main compounds, but you also want to ensure each side is getting worked efficiently.

trtlp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you for the replies. I'll try to keep moving along. Last night I did a back worked out; pull ups, chin ups, rows, a limited amount of dead lifts, light dumbell squats. Today, my upper body is at a 5-10 degree twist to the left in relation to my hips - which is normal for me, but since I'm sore, it's noticeable and annoying. To be straight, I need to continually have many muscles tensed. So, annoying and exhausting.

***EDIT

Would it be a good idea to do pull ups or something every day for awhile to combat this issue? I generally splt the body into three group workouts with a day of rest in between workouts. But this posture issue is a long term issue (been playing guitar for 30 years).
    Last edited by trtlp; 06-02-2016 at 10:36 AM.