Not even my final form NZninja101's Avatar
    NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

The Intermediate Routine you should probably be doing

Hi. I wanted to put my inner thoughts out there on, basically, a really good intermediate routine. It's strange to say, but despite the massive number of programs out there, with many of them being intermediate, and with some of them being ones that I actually think are good, I've not seen a program which I feel absolutely, truly, does this properly. And a lot of you young guys reading this will be the perfect level of experience to run something like this.

The Texas Method is really the foundation of what a good intermediate routine is. An intermediate, by the very definition, is, at the quickest, someone who can only progress on a lift weekly. If you can progress every 4 weeks, I'd still say that's intermediate, by the very fact that even a 5lb jump on your bench every 4 weeks translates to 65lb a year; a gain which an advanced lifter shouldn't be able to make. But back on topic. Weekly progression, that's exactly what an early intermediate lifter can do, and should do. Texas Method does just that, (with fortnightly jumps in pressing).

The reality is that for an intermediate, the amount of workload you have to do to progress, is too much for you to recover from, grow, and do more the next session. It becomes a delayed effect. Hence why Texas Method consists of a VOLUME day on Monday, a RECOVERY day on Wednesday, and a TESTING day on Friday, repeated weekly.

The Texas Method

Monday:

Squats 5X5 (@ 90% of 5 rep max weight, applies to bench and rows also)
    Bench 5X5 (alternated with OHP. Next week, you OHP 5X5, bench wednesday and OHP 1X5 on friday)
    Barbell Row 5X5

Wednesday:

Front Squat 3X5 (@ 80% of 5 rep max weight, applies to OHP also)
    OHP 3X5
    Chin Up 3X5
    GHR/Hyper-extension 3X10

Friday:

Squat 1X5 PR
    Bench 1X5 PR
    Deadlift 1X5 PR

This does change a bit depending on who you ask. But this is a basic template of the Texas Method. And it could be better.

The single most important part of any routine, is performing sufficient WORK over time. As you train, and progress, and grow, you require higher workloads to make further improvements. Lets compare TM, to Starting Strength, in the number of sets a week.

TEXAS METHOD VERSUS STARTING STRENGTH - SETS DONE OVER 1 WEEK (averages)

Squats: 9 & 9
    Bench Press: 4.5 & 4.5
    OHP: 4.5 & 4.5
    Deadlift: 1 & 1.5
    Upper Back Work: 8 & 9

The Texas Method actually contains less volume than Starting Strength... And that's a problem. If you've done ICF5X5 as a novice, (which is unnecessary as I've said in the past), then it will be even more pathetic, going from 15 sets of squats, 12 sets of bench, (including close grip bench), and 15 sets of rows a week, to 9, 4.5 and 5... It's not sufficient workload for the level you are. That's exactly what this Intermediate Routine below I've posted fixes.

NZninja's modified Texas Method:

Monday:

Squats 5X5
    SLDL 3X8
    Leg Curl 3X8
    Leg Raise or Ab Rollout 3X8

Tuesday:

Bench Press 5X5
    Row 4X6
    High Incline DB Press 5X8
    Chin/Pullup 4X8
    Reverse Fly superset w Tricep Overhead Extension 3X10
    Incline Curl superset w Lateral Raises 3X10

Thursday:

Squat 3X5 @ 80%
    Bench 3X5 @ 80%
    Row 4X6
    Chin/Pullup 4X8
    Reverse Fly 3X10
    Incline Curl superset w Lateral Raises 3X10

Saturday:

Squat 1X5 PR, 10-15% weight drop, 3 more sets of 5
    Bench 1X5 PR, 10-15% weight drop, 3 more sets of 5
    Deadlift 1X5 PR, 15% weight drop, 2 more sets of 5

NZNINJA TEXAS METHOD VERSUS STARTING STRENGTH - SETS DONE OVER 1 WEEK

Squatting: 12 to 9
    Deadlifting: 6 to 1.5
    Chest Work: 12, (17 including high incline press), to 4.5
    Shoulders: 12, (17 including high incline press), to 4.5
    Arm isolation: 9 to 0
    Upper Back: 16 to 9

Lets talk about what's now going to happen to the novice lifter who did Starting Strength, can no longer go up in weight every session, and switches to this routine. The first day, they perform 5 sets of squats, rather than 3, giving them some additional stimulus in their quads, glutes, core... They then perform SLDL for 3 sets of 8. Their glutes and hamstrings, previously only conditioned to 1 set of deadlifts, stimulates their muscles awesomely with this higher workload. The high fatiguing element of deadlifts is side-stepped by the use of this variant, which still hits all the muscles but the quads and upper back, as hard, or even harder than deadlifts. The hamstring curl furthers hamstring work to an even greater extent; they've never weight trained the other function of their hamstring, flexion of the knee, before, and now they've started, a great stimulus that's going to see significant growth. Direct abdominal training finishes off the session, again, done for the first time. 3 modest sets surely stimulating a great deal of hypertrophy in one session.

The next day has a similar affect. 5 sets of bench, two more than previously done, creates some additional chest stimulus, furthered by the chest stimulation found in their new exercise, the high incline press, which also covers the upper body muscle mass stimulated in overhead pressing. The direct training of the side and rear delts, kick starts some real growth in the shoulders, just like the introduction of direct bicep and tricep training builds the arms, and twice a week is going to do this quickly.

Thursday's session further builds up the neural pathways of the squat and bench, while facilitating the recovery for Saturday's testing day. On this same day, is another opportunity to hit the shoulders with isolation, as well as the back and biceps, hard, pushing more growth, but not interfering with Saturday's Testing day.

Saturday comes around. But as well as testing new rep maxes, this day also allows further growth through the introduction of backoff sets following the top set. These additions allow this to not only let them know that they have gotten stronger, but also made the training session productive through doing the work to make them stronger another day. It also keeps the workload to 3 exercises, which is understandable considering the impact of the squat, bench and deadlift on the body.

Finally, the increase in weekly pullups and rows from 9 to 16 produces a predictable response. Their back grows wider and thicker, and of course this increased mass assists them in their pressing, their deadlifting, and even positively affecting their squat.

Looking at the workload of this program, and the Texas Method underlying theory that it rests on, it really is something which anybody who's just finished their novice training, especially under Starting Strength, should look into.
    'People are gonna remember me as a god forever... Like-like-like Troy, like Chiles heel, I'm a god forever I'll be remembered for thousands of years to come' - Jason Genova

Texas Method Mod: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171537443&p=1444534723&viewfull=1#post1444534723

PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Bookmarked for future reference.

NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by PendlayRow8500 View Post
    Bookmarked for future reference.

Cheers

I've just done the same, to post it in routine threads for people this would be perfect for
    'People are gonna remember me as a god forever... Like-like-like Troy, like Chiles heel, I'm a god forever I'll be remembered for thousands of years to come' - Jason Genova

Texas Method Mod: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171537443&p=1444534723&viewfull=1#post1444534723

Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    In to use for people, all though it's actually pretty rare that I have to refer someone to an intermediate program.

Great program all around, I currently am following a texas method variant. Best for intermediate trainees for sure.

3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would consider volume of your program to be overkill.

Originally Posted by Kameronn View Post
    In to use for people, all though it's actually pretty rare that I have to refer someone to an intermediate program.

Great program all around, I currently am following a texas method variant. Best for intermediate trainees for sure.

I'm grateful for the program's existence, even though the volume is too low. It basically taught be about progression for non novices.

Originally Posted by 3SchnitzelsAday View Post
    I would consider volume of your program to be overkill.

This program certainly isn't for people who want to get more results without putting in more work.

bignosuknu is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question

I'm going to try your routine. I've been doing the standard Texas Method for several months now and I understand how the linear progression works on the major lifts, but how does progression work for the accessory exercises you've layed out?