cmckay13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmckay13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmckay13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmckay13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmckay13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmckay13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmckay13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmckay13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmckay13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmckay13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmckay13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking My Journey to Strongman

Hey guys, my name is Chris and I am currently training to compete in strongman competitions this upcoming year. My first competition will be in October. I find that the Bodybuilding.com forums are extremely helpful in keeping myself regimented and focused on attaining my goals. I used the forum section years ago while at school, and it helped me a BUNCH. So, I decided to come back on here.

The purpose of this thread is to share the steps that I will be taking in really getting after my workouts each and every day, staying true to my diet, and hopefully motivating others to be the best they can be every day. I woke up on a Friday about a month ago and decided that "today was the day". I was ready to change. I had to change. I had let myself go, and I needed to become healthier. Heart disease has done terrific damage to my family, and I do not want to put myself in that position going forward. So, I turned to some great friends of mine. Huge S/O to my first real gym partner Shane Matthews. This guy was the one who really introduced me to lifting and just getting fit. He helped me realize the things I needed to do in order to just better myself. Also, my other best friend Stephen Sullivan II has kept me motivated throughout this entire process. Steve is always texting me making sure I am eating clean and giving it all I have in the gym. We have worked out together in the past (doing his P90X lol....) and I always know he has my back. Also, HUGE S/O to Connor Griffin. Connor is the next big CrossFit Athlete. He really knows his stuff, and has developed/personalized programs for me to get myself ready for competition mode. I send him progress pictures every 3 weeks to stay on top of my stuff. Connor and his youtube channel are just really inspiring and have helped me push myself to new limits in the gym. Another huge S/O goes to Nick Crockford. Nick and I will be training in his strongman gym to prepare for competition. Nick is just a wicked nice kid, and is always willing to help out.

My nutrition right now is geared towards a cutting diet. I am eating foods high in protein and fats, but low in carbohydrates (sugars). I want to explain though that not all carbohydrates are bad. In order to lose weight, fiber is extremely important to have in your diet. If you neglect all carbs, you won't get the fiber you need. I just try to make sure to avoid sugar as much as possible. The foods that I usually eat are omelettes with veggies and sausage, baked haddock, chili, hamburgers without the buns, lettuce wraps, chicken breast, grass-fed beef, almonds, protein shakes mixed with almond milk, some cheeses, and quest bars.
    The supplements that I take right now are Scivation Xtend BCAAs, bpiSports isolate whey, and Quadra Lean fat burning supplement.
    I incorporate one cheat meal every Saturday. I legit go H.A.M. on this meal, usually a pizza or maybe a bunch of T.Bell with my boy Pat. Cheat meals are extremely important, they keep my metabolism moving and avoiding plateaus AND keep me mentally sane. Its good to know you have a cheat meal to look forward to every week.

As far as workouts go, I am following a 5/3/1 program to develop more strength for each main lift. In addition, I have added supplemental workouts to each lift, along with 20 minutes on the stair master to finish the session. I have my protein shake with almond milk literally right after my workout. I like to have my BCAAs during my workout, and I take 6 QuadraLeans a day, 3 in the AM and 3 at night.

My aim with this thread is to post some progress on lifts, take advice in preparing for strongman, offer help to those looking to cut weight or stay motivated, and just focus on bettering myself. My main goal is getting better each and every day. I hope to do well in my competitions and give it all Ive got. Make those gains guys and get after it!

CJ

cmckay13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmckay13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmckay13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmckay13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmckay13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmckay13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmckay13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmckay13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmckay13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmckay13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmckay13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Had an awesome chest workout today. Decided to start using my weighted vest again while doing cardio. Definitely added a struggle to my workout. It definitely made my workout more challenging, so I will continue to use it. Honestly, I like working out on my own but I hate it at the same time. Its nice to have a spotter when you're trying to go super heavy. But, oh well. Also, can't wait to work out with my buddies Nick Crockford and Connor Griffin!

Get after it today guys!

CJ

Had a great workout today guys. Did some arms today, followed by weighted-vest stair master for 20 minutes. I had my weekly weigh-in today and lost 4 lbs from last week so that was good! Just wish it sped up a bit. My total weight loss so far has been 26 lbs, my goal is to lose 40 more.

Ive been really busy with work and school guys so I'm sorry about the short post. Getting ready for a 5k too that I'm gonna be running on September 25th. Cant wait to compete in that as well! So far so good though guys, just gonna keep chipping away at it! Thanks for reading guys, get after it today!

CJ

prettyinpink9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prettyinpink9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prettyinpink9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prettyinpink9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prettyinpink9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prettyinpink9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prettyinpink9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prettyinpink9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prettyinpink9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prettyinpink9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prettyinpink9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Best of luck with your goal brother.

titan999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titan999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titan999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titan999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titan999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titan999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titan999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I wish you all the best with your dreams mate.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. Actually, I was at dinner with my girlfriend, Shane and his girlfriend last night. We talked about how front squatting is much better for you in preparing for strongman. So, I am going to be implementing these in my training now.

Also, a message I do want to get out to people is to do what you enjoy in life. Make working out and eating clean something that you enjoy. Its going to do nothing but keep you healthier and honestly happier. Spending time with my girlfriend Alicia is something that I enjoy too. Keep working out enjoyable and something to look forward to each and every day.

Just remember, passion makes the ride a lot easier.

CJ

thehierophant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    All the best!

Just a quick note about pre-workouts. For me, personally, I try to save my money in certain areas as much as I can. In regards to pre-workout, I look for the cheapest alternative possible. In this case, the cheapest pre-workout is COFFEE. I used to go to Dunkin's or Starbucks legit every single day and get a black cold brew, but I realized I was spending WAY too much money on this. It was like $3.50 a day. So, I started brewing cold brew coffee on my own with a French Press and its amazing. Just Google it, its amazing. Caffeine is huge with metabolism, so get on that! Look for the cheapest alternative too, don't try to spend 50-60 bucks on a pre-workout at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe. Save your money and buy Yeezy's.

CJ

Making great progress so far! This week was my de-load week for 5/3/1 so I'm going super light. Next week I'm gonna be adding 10 lbs onto my max to increase my 90% base number. I feel like I'm getting much stronger. My back is probably the strongest its every been. After a pretty serious injury that cost me a run at a competition back in 2013, my back feels like it is finally at 100%. My competition is in July, so I'm not snapping s*** up in my back right now, just following 5/3/1 as I'm supposed to.
    Gonna be running a 5k with my girlfriend on Sunday, that should be interesting. Gonna call a cab after the first 100m. But for real, excited about this 5k. Doing it for the Best Buddies charity, so thats extra motivation to grind it out. I hate cardio as usual strongman competitors, but gonna ride this one out.

Friday Update:

Lost another 2 lbs, almost 30 lbs down from my original weight. I am not satisfied at all with this weight loss. Still have a LONG way to go. Just striving every day to get better. I've been doing great with my diet, eating very clean. Since I am doing a 5k on Sunday, I am going to move my cheat meal from Saturday to Sunday. Right after the 5k me and my girlfriend are gonna go IN on Yardhouse in Lynn, MA....they have the best nachos.
    This has been my de-load week for 5/3/1 so I'm lifting pretty light. Going to be adding 10 lbs to my 90% 1RM.
    Just got a Tour De France bike it was like $2,000.00 but s/o to Kevin for hooking me up. So lucky to have great people like that in my life and just blessed to be able to own nice equipment like that. Doing HIIT Max on that legit every night, its been cool. You can legit bike anywhere in the world, its got Google Maps on it and a GPS screen so you can see where you're at. Its a cool bike.
    My training has been the same, I've added a weighted vest to my cardio, post-lift. Just trying to make it as challenging as possible.
    But thats it for this Friday guys, gonna dedicate my run on Sunday to my late grandfather Salvatore Dell'Ali. May he R.I.P. I love him and miss him every day. This one's for you pops.

Have a great week guys and get after it!

wehavegotthis has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wehavegotthis has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wehavegotthis has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wehavegotthis has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wehavegotthis has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wehavegotthis has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wehavegotthis has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wehavegotthis has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wehavegotthis has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wehavegotthis has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wehavegotthis has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I will be following this brother.

Originally Posted by wehavegotthis View Post
    I will be following this brother.
    thanks bro! means a lot!

finished my first 5k yesterday, it felt great!!!!! can't wait to do my next one!

Hey guys,

So I lost more weight, about 2 lbs this past week. Not sure why it was just 2 lbs again, I tried making an almond flour crust pizza yesterday....it was dumb, tasted like sh** and I will never ever make it again. I am trying to speed up my metabolism and need help with that. I feel like I could be losing weight faster and its just not happening. Maybe I'm not eating enough calories each day....idk. I am going to begin to log my calories of my FitBit app. Also, I reached out to my buddy Nick Crockford for some diet help, so I'm sure things will get better.
    In the meantime, training has been great! Making significant progress on the main lifts and weirdly have enjoyed cardio. I upped my warmup from 5 to 10 minutes on an incline treadmill. Also signed up for another 5k and am excited about doing it. Never thought I would every enjoy running in my life.
    My mindset right now is just focusing on what I can do to better take care of my body. What kinds of foods can I prepare to help me obtain my goals. I think my biggest concern right now is my metabolic rate. But other than that, things have been awesome!
    Thanks for reading, and get after it today!
    CJ

cannyyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cannyyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cannyyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cannyyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cannyyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cannyyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cannyyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cannyyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cannyyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cannyyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cannyyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    In for the ride for sure.

Hey guys,
    Just wanted to update real quick on my weight loss and training. So I've lost more weight, 4lbs over the last week. I feel a lot better, a lot more lean. So now its a total of 34 lbs lost. I still have a good amount to go. I just wanted to post this week about losing strength. I feel like I have lost some strength during this weight loss period, so I need some advice. I don't know if its supplementation or what, I just feel a tad weaker. Any ideas?
    Connor just hooked me up with a new program, which is going great. Killing it in the gym rn. Might switch gyms, not entirely sure yet. Theres gonna be an Anytime Fitness near my house now, which will be open 24/7....but FitLab is nice. I don't know, we shall see. Gonna be running a 5k next week again, looking forward to that!
    But yea, thought I would update my weight loss and keep you guys posted. Gonna go IN on some pizza on Sunday!!!!
    Get after it today
    CJ

Down 2 more lbs this week!!!! Making my total weight loss to 34.8 lbs! Its good progress but still got a long way to go, cant be satisfied with anything yet. Gotta keep working and striving for more. I love bpi protein btw, definitely check them out--the banana flavor is AMAZING. So yeah, getting plenty of protein in, just eating less basically. Have been eating Oikos triple zero greek yogurts (s/o Cam Newton) and almonds, cheese, burger patties, chicken, fish, and steamed vegetables. Some good stuff. My cheat meal is Sunday now, just order a pizza and eat a bunch of s*** and watch football with my family. Cant get better than that!
    So thats eating...as far as training goes, I have been making awesome progress with my boy Connor's program. Gotta check the dude out he's doing amazing with his training, trains like 2 times a day he's an animal. I have another 5k I am going to be running next weekend----dedicated to firefighters. But yea, other than that everything has been solid.
    Might do another post this week regarding training, so stay tuned! Get after it ppl
    CJ