Closed Thread
    s1rrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Mildronate/meldonium - I'm a believer...

Admittedly, I only started a course of Mildronate/meldonium (hereafter, just "meldoninum") after the publicity brought by Marapova's failed drug test; I had never heard of meldonium until that day.

Being curious, I did about a weeks worth of thorough research on the substance and finding it somewhat innocuous sounding in regards to side effects/hazards and also rather interesting in it's purported positive effects, I decided to give it a go. Ordering from Russia was simple and I received my two month supply in about a week and a half. If your curious about the supposed positive effects, just do some extensive googling. Long story short, it's about increasing oxygen carry to the brain and muscles and also, overall, creating a situation where under stress, your body derives it's energy more so from glucose than from burning fat. I'm no technician though and so do your own research...

I did a one week course prior to any running or strength training (I'm equally involved in both on a weekly/daily basis and have been for over four years now); but after my second week and several cardio days (3 to 6 mile trail runs) and several strength training days (typical chest/tri/shoulder ... back/bi's/legs type setup but all super sets and rigorously timed between sets/exercises) ... I can say that meldonium has an undeniably positive effect (at least for me).

Personally, I have found meldonium to be beneficial in a couple of different ways:

On one hand, meldonium seems to be an undeniable energy enhancer and mood elevator, while also greatly improving focus. And I mean just in a day to day living type regard. An hour after the dose, in the morning, I notice the effects; it is not overwhelming or overly intense (I'm very sensitive to such) but is undeniable. Coupled with my regular caffeine dose in the morning, it's really quite wonderful.

On the other hand, when strength training, I was quite literally taken aback with the increase in stamina, recovery time and overall strength. And again, very acutely, a massive increase in focus and attention. I consistently added 5 pounds to everything and consistently saw myself easily completing 2 to 3 more reps than typical. I am not a social trainer and have only spoken to people at the gym a total of about 10 times in the past 4 years; which is more so to say that I'm there to focus and push myself and that it's a very personal process than to say that I'm a creepy anti-social weirdo (although the last point is debatable depending on how you ask) (LMFAO!).

I train from 330am to 500am and cram as much as I can in to that hour an a half and I am completely intimate with my personal strength/stamina levels and generally will do the same exercises for at least six months before rearranging things. I say that to indicate that my sensitivities to any change in my personal levels of performance are very refined and easily observed. And without a doubt, and unlike any other supplement I've used (think typical pre workout stimulant type stuff) ... I saw a ridiculously positive change in my first week of training in the gym (in both physical strength and mental coherence).

Further, post work out (and in fact, post each exercise) I saw recovery times dramatically affected in a positive way ... and my cardio days (trail running) were similarly effected though it's more difficult for me to judge as I can pretty much run non stop without really even getting winded for upwards of 6+ miles... meldonium or not.

Lastly, I have noticed no untoward effects from meldonium; the energy increase is not harsh or uncomfortable as so many "pre workout" supplements are to me (can't stand most of them because of the ridiculous prickly skin effect or the overdose of caffeine they flood your system with) ... it's simply a general increase in energy and a marked decrease in regular daily fatigue. My sleep has not been affected in any way either, which is of vital importance to me (though, as per typical instructions, I only take my dose first thing in the morning). Further, my appetite is unchanged and therefore so my diet...

I can see now why professional athletes use the drug.

So I just wanted to make a couple observations regarding my findings of late ...

I will be continuing through a full two month course of meldonium and will update here as I discover anything new.

One thing I kept recalling from my meldonium research was that it's pretty well known on the "Nootropics" scene ... which I know nothing about but which I've read is about supplements that enhance brain function (mood, focus, coherence, stability, etc.) ... and I have to say again ... I noticed (and notice throughout the day) that this effect is just as pronounced as the positive physical effects in the gym.

**** man, I think I'm even typing 120 WPM lately instead of my typical 100 ...

But I'll have to test that last bit...

:-)
    Last edited by s1rrah; 05-25-2016 at 03:52 PM.

TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Krispy Kreme Krew Forever.
    Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity.

Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    OP

You'll probably get s*** from some posters around here, but I have to say your post was more interesting than 99% of usual crap/fluff posts around here. I have no interest in meldonium but as someone following sports (and tennis), it's very informative reading posts like yours. Keep updating us and hope they don't ban you.

TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Rushie View Post
    OP

You'll probably get s*** from some posters around here, but I have to say your post was more interesting than 99% of usual crap/fluff posts around here. I have no interest in meldonium but as someone following sports (and tennis), it's very informative reading posts like yours. Keep updating us and hope they don't ban you.

He will get **** because its a pharmaceutical in the US.

For someone who thinks creatine is for "serious athletes" but are interested in pharmaceuticals, then maybe you just log off and never post again for being the worlds biggest moron poster.
    Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity.

Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TMac26 View Post
    He will get **** because its a pharmaceutical in the US.

For someone who thinks creatine is for "serious athletes" but are interested in pharmaceuticals, then maybe you just log off and never post again for being the worlds biggest moron poster.
    I also can't take your quasi-bully attitude seriously (plus I also think your full of it), so we are even in our lack of respect for each other as fellow posters.

Originally Posted by Rushie View Post
    I also can't take your quasi-bully attitude seriously (plus I also think your full of it), so we are even in our lack of respect for each other as fellow posters.

No I have respect for those that aren't utter morons.

You stand up for this guy like he's so "cool". He's discussing a pharmaceutical, which is not allowed on the boards, and 2) Illegal to have without a prescription in the states.

"Life is hard, its harder if you are stupid".

Edit: he ordered it from Russia. He's lucky it wasn't rat poison.

poison has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) poison has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) poison has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) poison has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) poison has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) poison has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) poison has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) poison has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) poison has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) poison has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) poison has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I find this kind of thing interesting, but it's not allowed here. Plus, it sounds like a shill post from an online seller.
    ~ Roast Master, Resident Coffee Warlock~
    www.westcoastroasting.com
    -- Use 'MISC' for a discount! --

Disclaimer: sit there and let it bleed.

(brace yourselves; a wall of text is coming)

;-)

Wow.

I had no intention of starting a **** storm and apologize for offending anybody. I'm currently in contact with other persons close to the FDA situation regarding meldonium.

No shill here, that's for sure ... I train quite religiously only because I want to surf better, work better and otherwise feel my best at 48 years of age. As mentioned in my OP ... there are very few popular supplements that I can tolerate as they simply blow my brain to bits with the inclusion of all the stimulants (think popular pre workouts). I just can't handle them. Therefore my interest in meldonium as what I *could* find online seemed to indicate very little (to no) static regarding it's adverse effects.

Further research today (on the back of this flame fest thread of mine) has revealed that it is indeed illegal for sellers to sell meldonium (such as the many vendors on Ebay and otherwise where one can easily buy the drug), simply because the FDA has no stated status for the drug at all ... and since the drug does happen to be regulated in other countries, it's therefore federally illegal for sellers to actively export it to the USA; the situation for buyers is, however, quite different.

Not that I use valium or vicoden or steroids for gods sake but one can't just simply browse Ebay for a couple seconds and purchase such drugs; these latter mentioned drugs are explicitly regulated and recognized by the FDA and there is a marked difference, obviously, with Meldonium as it simply has no status whatsoever with the FDA (not banned, not approved, not regulated, not legal, not illegal, etc.); it simply has no status whatsoever...

If a person can't search the FDA website to find out if a substance is even recognized by the FDA, then how in the world would a person know if the drug was legal or illegal? It is a true "grey area" in the most cliche but truthful use of that phrase. I can't even get a single hit on either popular name for the drug on the FDA's very formidable search engine, not a SINGLE return from their search engine. This lack of even recognition, from the USA's most vigilant regulatory agency, is indication enough of just how "off the national radar" meldonium is.

Anyway ... once more, my apologies for the offense ... I simply and genuinely had an interest in sharing a rather surprising positive experience with the substance. If anyone comes across any more information regarding this admittedly "grey" area as a consumer of the substance, please PM me some information.

I'm actually going to take steps to get some sort of discussion with the FDA itself but, as mentioned, searching on their official site turns up zero hits on either "meldonium" or "mildronate" ...

Best and flame on!

Joel

No I have respect for those that aren't utter morons.

He's discussing a pharmaceutical, which is not allowed on the boards, and 2) Illegal to have without a prescription in the states.
    Oh my... I'll have to approach this one gently, I can tell:

Meldonium is not recognized as a legitimate "pharmaceutical" by any Federal agency in the United States; it's not recognized as *anything,* really.

And I have found ZERO indication that it is illegal to have in one's possession in the USA. If you, in your obvious intellectual prowess can provide me with indication to the contrary then please do so because, as a person who recently bought some off Ebay ... I of course would be ACUTELY interested in hearing about such illegality.

I may be a moron but I'm not at all interested in actively (and quite publicly at that) breaking the law.

Now get that gigantic brain of yours to work and find me some proof that it's illegal to possess meldonium in the USA.

(and BTW, having administered more than one online forum myself over the years, I suspect the admins here will have as much fun researching these questions as I am currently having...)

Yours in moronity,
    Joel

Pocession of a pharmaceutical without a prescription is illegal.

It doesn't need to be a scheduled drug to fall under this umbrella.

Whether they will come after you, is most likely nil. But it's something to be aware of.

Pocession of a pharmaceutical without a prescription is illegal.
    But it's something to be aware of.
    If the drug was defined as a "pharmaceutical" by the FDA, then it would indeed be illegal for a US citizen to purchase and possess without a prescription. This is simply not the case, however. As the FDA can provide no information on the substance whatsoever.

On the other hand ... any FDA representative worth his/her salt will know that the substance is recognized as a pharmaceutical in other countries however and therein lies the dilemma for those in said countries who choose to send it to the USA (probably why the particular Ebay seller I purchased from had listed "computer parts" on the customs forms that came with the shipment!).

But for buyers? There's no legal grounds for defining possession as a "criminal" act as there is no US recognition of the drug as a legitimate pharmaceutical (the closing statement of the syllogism, were I interested in further defining it, would read something like: "therefore, a person possessing the substance could not be held legally liable in any sort of way."

But you are indeed correct ... these obvious (and interesting) complexities are indeed "something to be aware of" ... thanks for the call out, originally BTW, no matter the tone (it's a forum after all and I have super thick skin) as it's prompting me to educate myself further.

Best,
    Joel
    Last edited by s1rrah; 05-25-2016 at 04:25 PM.

ecko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by s1rrah View Post
    If the drug was defined as a "pharmaceutical" by the FDA, then it would indeed be illegal for a US citizen to purchase and possess without a prescription. This is simply not the case, however. As the FDA can provide no information on the substance whatsoever.

On the other hand ... any FDA representative worth his/her salt will know that the substance is recognized as a pharmaceutical in other countries however and therein lies the dilemma for those in said countries who choose to send it to the USA (probably why the particular Ebay seller I purchased from had listed "computer parts" on the customs forms that came with the shipment!).

But for buyers? There's no legal grounds for defining possession as a "criminal" act as there is no US recognition of the drug as a legitimate pharmaceutical (the closing statement of the syllogism, were I interested in further defining it, would read something like: "therefore, a person possessing the substance could not be held legally liable in any sort of way."

But you are indeed correct ... these obvious (and interesting) complexities are indeed "something to be aware of" ... thanks for the call out, originally BTW, no matter the tone (it's a forum after all and I have super thick skin) as it's prompting me to educate myself further.

Best,
    Joel
    Are you still using this product? Tempted to try it out after some runners I know are consistently setting records.
    After a long time off, I am finally back on my grind.

Originally Posted by ecko View Post
    Are you still using this product? Tempted to try it out after some runners I know are consistently setting records.
    I am no longer using Meldonium; I only completed a 4 week course (as per documentation) and in the end, decided to not continue beyond that.

My reason for stopping, primarily had to do with the primary "function" of the substance being that it promotes more energy uptake via glucose supplies instead of the bodies typically preferred method of energy uptake via the burning of fat.

My primary goal with training is strength, stamina and keeping as low of a body fat percentage as I can safely maintain with my somewhat average speed metabolism; therefore, I decided not to mess with how my body uses fat for energy as personally, I'd prefer body fat to be used at a normal (or even increased) rate as opposed to "adjusting" things so that glucose is used more so than fat.

Also, the "non recognized" nature of the drug by the FDA and other US based groups remains concerning to me.

All that said ...

My 4 week trial with Meldonium was perhaps the most interesting experiment with any training supplement I've ever tried. The positive effect on my overall physical performance levels was rather dramatic; as per everything you will read about Meldonium, the primary effect was a very noticeable increase in stamina and *especially* post exertion recovery. A very noticeable, positive effect without any feelings of being "high" or "tweaking" or any other way I might describe the effects of countless "pre workout" type substances I've used, the vast majority of which I simply can't use because they are far too powerful in their stimulant effects (the bottled drink "Redline" for instance is something I can't do because it's too strong and I literally feel like I'm "on drugs" when I've tried it and other, similarly powerful energy supplements).

Meldonium has no such disconcerting effects in my experience; it's simply a mild "uplifting" of positive physical attributes. And further, perhaps why it is so popular on the whole "Nootropics" scene, it had a pronounced and uplifting/positive effect on my general mood and mind set throughout the day. Really amazing, actually. If it's ever legalized here in the US, I'll probably re visit it but for now, my desire for maximum fat burning (instead of Glucose) and the fact that I'm really not in to "setting records," ... or "timing my runs" ... or going for "max lifts" ... I realized that my predominantly 100% natural approach to training is a better tack for me. Meldonium was fun, for sure ... and a surprising experience ...

Hope that helps

Joel