twinmatrix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to tell if a protein shake is OK?

I read that a protein shake can cause an insulin spike that takes you out of keto. I take a 3g carb protein shake every morning and it fits into my daily limit.

How can I tell if this is working for me or if it's messing up my ketosis? How would I be able to tell?

danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by twinmatrix View Post
    I read that a protein shake can cause an insulin spike that takes you out of keto. I take a 3g carb protein shake every morning and it fits into my daily limit.

How can I tell if this is working for me or if it's messing up my ketosis? How would I be able to tell?
    If it's whey, it's probably preventing you from entering. While the carbs are within your limit, whey can cause your insulin to spike, similar to how some sugar substitutes should be taken (Maltitol) because of the same effects)

If you want to test, don't drink it for about a week or until you're adapted. Once you're in keto, begin taking the shake again and see. Maybe you can get away with one scoop - everybody's different.
    dy/dx (Weight Loss) = Calories

Goals:
    Squats: 275 5x5
    Bench: 225 4x6
    Pendlay: 205 4x6 (Achieved)
    Deadlift: 315 5x5 (Achieved

Originally Posted by danfleysher View Post
    If it's whey, it's probably preventing you from entering. While the carbs are within your limit, whey can cause your insulin to spike, similar to how some sugar substitutes should be taken (Maltitol) because of the same effects)

If you want to test, don't drink it for about a week or until you're adapted. Once you're in keto, begin taking the shake again and see. Maybe you can get away with one scoop - everybody's different.
    Thx for the reply

I've been doing keto for 3 weeks so I'd think I'm adapted by now, but I can do entirely without for a week to be sure. How can I then see if taking the shake again kicks me out of it?

repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thx for the reply

I've been doing keto for 3 weeks so I'd think I'm adapted by now, but I can do entirely without for a week to be sure. How can I then see if taking the shake again kicks me out of it?
    Lack of energy

Originally Posted by repower View Post
    Lack of energy
    If that's the case I might've been kicked out of keto a couple of times, because I've been keeping my potassium, magnesium and sodium intake high, yet I've been having some mild fatigue, lack of focus and mild heart palpitations. (dunno if those latter 2 are also symptoms of getting kicked out of keto though)

I also noticed that lately my pee has been smelling normal, whereas for a period it smelled very strong and metallic-y (TMI?). I think I was taking whey that time though.

Anyway will refrain from protein/whey shake for a week and report back =P
    Last edited by twinmatrix; 05-04-2016 at 02:48 PM.

wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't think I've ever been kicked out by whey. Go with a zero carb brand.
    Last edited by wings_unhinged; 05-04-2016 at 10:43 PM.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

It's not that you'll be completely "kicked out of it" but it could reduce the amount of adaptation.

If you want to prevent this you can add some olive oil in your shake. Or go for a shake with half whey half casein.

The only way to tell is if you have a blood ketone meter.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

jasinc81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasinc81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasinc81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasinc81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasinc81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasinc81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasinc81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasinc81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasinc81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasinc81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasinc81 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I was taking whey and eventually found it was knocking me out. I could tell because I would have days where I felt nauseous and thought I had the keto-flu again. I had a blood meter and my levels were about 0.3, even after a workout with a shake right afterwards. I have since replaced my whey shakes with tuna packets and my levels have been steady between 1.5-3.0.