Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz

Derek Charlebois' 2016 Training Journal- PR-BREAKER!

Hello everyone. A quick update, I ended up not being able to compete in the meet on 4/16 due to injuring my lower back 9 days prior to the meet. It was kind of a fluke injury. After competing my deadlift workout, worked up to 655 X 1 and then 3 singles with 585, I decided to tighten my Inzer lever belt a notch because it was feeling pretty loose. So I did that and then tried to pull 455 and as soon as I pulled the weight off the ground I strained something in my lower back pretty badly. Basically my belt was TOO TIGHT and caused me to strain something. I woke up the next day and could barely walk. I worked on my back all weekend and it was getting better surprisingly quickly, but I decided it would be best not to risk it and not do the meet. So now 3 weeks later my back feels good and I am resuming my normal training.

And with that said LEGGO!

Monday 5/2/16

Bench Press
    225 X 6
    245 X 6
    265 X 6
    285 X 6
    265 X 6
    245 X 6
    225 X 6

Seated Military Press with Football Bar (Parallel Handles)
    3 X 8

Dips
    3 X 8

Lat-Pulldown
    3 X 8-12

Bent Over Row
    3 X 8-12

Barbell Curl
    3 X 8-12

Macros:
    Protein = 225g
    Carbs = 300g
    Fat = 100g

I will post more detail on everything this week, I wanted to get this journal up and rolling!

dozersmommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) dozersmommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) dozersmommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) dozersmommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) dozersmommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) dozersmommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) dozersmommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) dozersmommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) dozersmommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) dozersmommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) dozersmommy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Strong work!

Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz
    5/3/16
    Squats
    315 X 5
    345 X 5
    365 X 5
    385 X 5
    405 X 5

Given that it has only been a few weeks since I strained my lower back, I did not think I was going to go this heavy today! I was thinking MAYBE 365 X 5 at most. I am very happy that my back is healing so quickly; I had ZERO pain today. I decided not to do any back-off/volume sets today and ended squats at 405. Normally I would work up to a max weight for a specified rep and then decrease the weight and perform more sets to get in more volume.

DB Goblet Squat
    3 X 12

Single Leg Leg Press
    3 X 12

Glute-Ham Raise
    3 X 12

GHR Sit-Up
    3 X 12

I am very pleased with how squats went today and am feeling very positive that my strength will be climbing again!

cully is just really nice. (+1000) cully is just really nice. (+1000) cully is just really nice. (+1000) cully is just really nice. (+1000) cully is just really nice. (+1000) cully is just really nice. (+1000) cully is just really nice. (+1000) cully is just really nice. (+1000) cully is just really nice. (+1000) cully is just really nice. (+1000) cully is just really nice. (+1000)
    Glad you are starting a new journal. Your journals actually are a good resource for some of us ex-team sci guys.

BTW, we will be expecting an updated pic of the power wave, as in your last journal

Originally Posted by cully View Post
    Glad you are starting a new journal. Your journals actually are a good resource for some of us ex-team sci guys.

BTW, we will be expecting an updated pic of the power wave, as in your last journal
    LMAO X 1,000,000! The power wave is gone (I'm actually still laughing right now).

5-5-16

Standing Military Press
    145 X 5, 5, 5
    Standing overhead pressing strength is way down as I haven't done this movement in a while.

Lat-Pulldown (Wide Grip Parallel Handles)
    3 X 12

Close Grip Bench Press
    225 X 5, 5, 5
    Left shoulder was feeling a little achy so kept it on the lighter side here. The third set felt better than the first two (was rolling my shoulder with a lacrosse ball between sets).

T-Bar Row
    3 X 8

Flat DB Press
    3 X 12

Alternating DB Curl
    3 X 12

I took a video of the DB Curls because I was feeling the pump: https://www.instagram.com/p/BFCCwnsI...erekcharlebois

5/6/16

Deadlift (Hook Grip)
    505 for 5 singles
    This was my third workout using the hook grip. Its not too bad... just feels like my thumb is going to get ripped off LOL. I will say that using the double overhand grip feels way better overall so I plan on sticking with the hook grip (so long as my thumbs hold up). I think moving forward I will do a few sets using the hook grip and then use my versa straps, once my thumbs have had enough, to get more volume in.

Stiff Leg Deadlift
    5 X 8

Reverse Hyper-Extension
    3 X 12

Lying Leg Curl
    3 X 12

Shrugs
    3 X 12

No back pain this week, which is priority #1. I will continue doing the big 3 only once a week for the next couple of weeks and then I will resume my normal style of training. Things are looking good!

5/9/26

Bench Press
    235 X 5
    255 X 5
    275 X 5
    295 X 5
    275 X 5

Last week I hit 285 X 6 so this week's goal was 295 X 5 and I was able to hit that with probably another rep or two in the tank. My left pec/delt has been a little tight lately so I didn't try to push it past 295 today.

Football Bar Seated Military Press
    3 X 6

Dips
    3 X 8-12

Lat-Pulldown
    3 X 8-12

Bent Over Row
    3 X 8

Barbell Curl
    3 X 8-12

As you can see I am training 4X a week and following an upper/lower split. Each workout has a strength focus exercise (Bench, Deadlift, Standing Military Press, Squats) and then additional higher rep assistance/hypertrophy work added in.

I snapped a post-workout swolfie when I got home from the gym to show my current back condition at around 205-207 lbs (was 205 a couple weeks ago but I have been eating too much LOL)

5/10/16

Squats
    365 X 5
    385 X 5
    405 X 5
    425 X 3

My goal today was actually 415 X 4, but things were feeling good so I called a little audible and went up to 425 for a triple. One thing I did, which I haven't done in a long time, is used the "Hip Circle" during my warm-up sets.

You can see a video my warm-up here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BFPBSS9o...erekcharlebois

Hack Squat
    3 X 8-12

Leg Extensions
    3 X 8-12

Glute-Ham Raise
    3 X 12

GHR Sit-Up
    3 X 12

Pretty straight forward workout. 1 "strength" movement and 2 "hypertrophy" movements for the quads followed by some core/lower back work. No lower back issues. Everything is progressing well!

Post-workout quad pump!

5/12/16

Standing Military Press
    145 X 6, 6, 6

Lat-Pulldown
    3 X 8-12

DB Shoulder Press
    3 X 8-12

T-Bar Row
    3 X 8-12

Alternating DB Curl
    3 X 8-12

Tricep Pressdown
    3 X 8-12

5/13/16

Deadlift
    Worked up to a single with 605.
    Video of 585 here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BFW8cxSo...erekcharlebois

Stiff Leg Deadlift
    3 X 8-12

Reverse Hyper-Extension
    3 X 12

Lying Leg Curl
    3 X 8-12

I will post up this week's training shortly. I wanted to get caught up with the previous week, which I had forgotten to post.

schneppy07 is just really nice. (+1000) schneppy07 is just really nice. (+1000) schneppy07 is just really nice. (+1000) schneppy07 is just really nice. (+1000) schneppy07 is just really nice. (+1000) schneppy07 is just really nice. (+1000) schneppy07 is just really nice. (+1000) schneppy07 is just really nice. (+1000) schneppy07 is just really nice. (+1000) schneppy07 is just really nice. (+1000) schneppy07 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    5/9/26

Bench Press
    235 X 5
    255 X 5
    275 X 5
    295 X 5
    275 X 5

Last week I hit 285 X 6 so this week's goal was 295 X 5 and I was able to hit that with probably another rep or two in the tank. My left pec/delt has been a little tight lately so I didn't try to push it past 295 today.

Football Bar Seated Military Press
    3 X 6

Dips
    3 X 8-12

Lat-Pulldown
    3 X 8-12

Bent Over Row
    3 X 8

Barbell Curl
    3 X 8-12

As you can see I am training 4X a week and following an upper/lower split. Each workout has a strength focus exercise (Bench, Deadlift, Standing Military Press, Squats) and then additional higher rep assistance/hypertrophy work added in.

I snapped a post-workout swolfie when I got home from the gym to show my current back condition at around 205-207 lbs (was 205 a couple weeks ago but I have been eating too much LOL)

monster!

Originally Posted by schneppy07 View Post
    monster!
    whaddup homie!

I got behind on keeping my journal here due to traveling and other business ventures, but I am starting back up this week.

PR UPDATE!
    I did hit a new Deadlift PR 2 weeks ago of 655 lbs on the stiff bar (have done 680 on the deadlift bar, which makes the movement easier).