icu222much is on a distinguished road. (+10) icu222much is on a distinguished road. (+10) icu222much is on a distinguished road. (+10) icu222much is on a distinguished road. (+10) icu222much is on a distinguished road. (+10) icu222much is on a distinguished road. (+10) icu222much is on a distinguished road. (+10) icu222much is on a distinguished road. (+10) icu222much is on a distinguished road. (+10) icu222much is on a distinguished road. (+10) icu222much is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Chronic Lumbar Pain

I have injured my lower back several years ago via DeadLifts. Shortly after, I went to see a physiotherapist who showed me daily exercises to stretch my hamstrings, IT band, and hip flexors. The pain was still there, but it wasn't too bad. A month ago, my feet were going numb from sitting down for 15 or 20 min so I went to see a doctor who got me to do a CT scan. The results came back and the doctor says that I shouldn't worry too much as my discs will heal naturally. I am booking an appointment to see my physiotherapist, but in the mean time I am wondering if there are any stretches or exercises I can do to begin the healing process?

This is the findings from my CT scan:
    At L2-3, L3-4 and L4-5, the discs appear intact with no evidence of focal herniation. No spinal stenosis, foraminal stenosis or facet abnormality is demonstrated. At L5-S1, there is mild concentric bulge of the disc slightly indenting the thecal sac. No focal disc herniation, spinal stenosis or foraminal stenosis is identified. The facet joints are unremarkable.

wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I injured 2 discs in the back, one in Lumbar, one in the lower Thoracic region. Unlike you, did not affect my legs.

Physio helped a lot, suggesting I did things like prone hold, prone pressups, bridges, quadruped arm/leg raises, planks and side planks, various lower back stretches, etc that strengthen my core and stretch my lower back. They also did some electrotherapy on the affected region, but I'm not sure what good this did. These helped me return to the gym. Once I returned to the gym, hyperextensions annihilated my lower back pain (as soon as the soreness went away, lower back pain vanished).

I also got a cushion for my lower back that helped tremendously even when the pain was still ongoing. I still use it just about everywhere I sit.

I still do lower back rehab and try to strengthen my core further, but I haven't had lower back pain in a couple months. Obviously you have more problematic discs in lumbar area than I do.

I suggest slowly strengthen your core, avoid flexion, compression, shock, or twisting. Extensions are OK. Very slowly test your boundaries, which is what I did. The hyperextensions were the point that I stopped feeling pain altogether. If you do that, take it slow.

I took a month and a half off from any sort of exercise after experiencing lower back pain for months, this did nothing. It wasn't until I did lower back rehab then returned to the gym and started testing my limits that it started going away.

My bad disc in my thoracic still bothers me but it's a similar story, slowly increase intensity and slowly do things I did before I injured it has helped it heal tremendously, a couple months ago I couldn't even walk for more than 10 min at a time, now I have no problem fast walking for more than an hour on an incline, am looking to start jogging again.

I haven't done this with my lower back, but foam rolling and soft tissue therapy has helped tremendously with my Thoracic disc where trying to strengthen and stretch my erector spinae didn't seem to have much effect.
    Last edited by wsteve30; 04-28-2016 at 09:01 AM.