GaryC10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GaryC10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GaryC10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GaryC10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GaryC10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GaryC10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GaryC10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GaryC10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GaryC10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GaryC10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GaryC10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Return to lifting and Keto questions

Hi everyone,
    I am a 39 year old man from sunny UK who used to natural bodybuild in my 20s. I still have shape to my muscles but it is being kept snug under 26.5% bodyfat [I’m 5ft 10 and 199 pounds]. Despite three young children, I going to try to pick up free-weight training from home. Not looking to get huge by any means but definitely want to aim for a more ripped look and want to lose the belly I have grown in time for my wedding in July, so I have been using a low-card meal plan since Tuesday.
    I have read a lot of stuff online; some good, some warning that keto diets are simply wrong.
    I’d like some advice from here if I can on whether I am on the right track nutrition wise. What confuses me is the suggestion that a one-day-a-week carb up can be better than a straightforward keto. Do I just have one day a week where I eat what I fancy perhaps?
    Also – I was planning on keeping the carbs at 50g per day. I ate fewer yesterday and will today. Any thoughts?

I plan to train about 45 minutes, three times a week and here is a sample of what I ate yesterday. There are no green vegetables yet as I haven’t been able to get out to the shops:

Sat:
    Breakfast: Two whole eggs, three rashers bacon all in olive oil
    [Carbs: 1.2g]

Snack: 2oz ham with 50g cheddar cheese. 100g plain yoghurt
    [Carbs: 3.5g]

Lunch: One chicken breast in mayo [1 tablespoon]
    [Carbs: 0.1g]

Snack: 50g walnuts with 1 tablespoon peanut butter
    [Carbs: 10g]

Dinner: Lunch: One chicken breast in mayo [1 tablespoon]

Snack: 100g plain yoghurt
    [Carbs: 2.7g]

Two cups coffee spread throughout the day, dash of milk and half a sugar in each: Carbs: 5g

TOTAL CARBS: 22.6g

Had to prepare all this to take to work so that's my excuse for its bland content. What concerns me is my protein might be too high but should sit about 1g per pound of total bodyweight, so about 100g. Let me know if you need any more info. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Gary

repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by GaryC10 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I am a 39 year old man from sunny UK who used to natural bodybuild in my 20s. I still have shape to my muscles but it is being kept snug under 26.5% bodyfat [I’m 5ft 10 and 199 pounds]. Despite three young children, I going to try to pick up free-weight training from home. Not looking to get huge by any means but definitely want to aim for a more ripped look and want to lose the belly I have grown in time for my wedding in July, so I have been using a low-card meal plan since Tuesday.
    I have read a lot of stuff online; some good, some warning that keto diets are simply wrong.
    I’d like some advice from here if I can on whether I am on the right track nutrition wise. What confuses me is the suggestion that a one-day-a-week carb up can be better than a straightforward keto. Do I just have one day a week where I eat what I fancy perhaps?
    Also – I was planning on keeping the carbs at 50g per day. I ate fewer yesterday and will today. Any thoughts?

I plan to train about 45 minutes, three times a week and here is a sample of what I ate yesterday. There are no green vegetables yet as I haven’t been able to get out to the shops:

Sat:
    Breakfast: Two whole eggs, three rashers bacon all in olive oil
    [Carbs: 1.2g]

Snack: 2oz ham with 50g cheddar cheese. 100g plain yoghurt
    [Carbs: 3.5g]

Lunch: One chicken breast in mayo [1 tablespoon]

Snack: 50g walnuts with 1 tablespoon peanut butter
    [Carbs: 10g]

Dinner: Lunch: One chicken breast in mayo [1 tablespoon]

Snack: 100g plain yoghurt
    [Carbs: 2.7g]

Two cups coffee spread throughout the day, dash of milk and half a sugar in each: Carbs: 5g

TOTAL CARBS: 22.6g

Had to prepare all this to take to work so that's my excuse for its bland content. What concerns me is my protein might be too high but should sit about 1g per pound of total bodyweight, so about 100g. Let me know if you need any more info. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Gary
    Hi! Great to hear that you get back to lifting (hey, never too late I guess)

Tip: Try to avoid sugar and milk on ketogenic diet.

Protein intake is recommended around 1g per lb of lean body mass (So, at your bf, aim to 145g around per day, or less). Keep net carbs around 20-30g per day. And the rest of your calories from fat.

Lastly, carb up, or carb refeeds aren't necessary if your goal is fat loss, in fact, could be counter productive. So try to stay straight keto all the item until you reach your goal, or as long as you can sustain it (At least, if you can't sustain a lot without a big amount of carbs, try 2-3 weeks straight keto, and then have your carb up, but as I said, they aren't recommended)

Feel free to ask anything

GaryC10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GaryC10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GaryC10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GaryC10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GaryC10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GaryC10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GaryC10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GaryC10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GaryC10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GaryC10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GaryC10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by repower View Post
    Hi! Great to hear that you get back to lifting (hey, never too late I guess)
    Thanks mate - that last comment made me feel really old!

Tip: Try to avoid sugar and milk on ketogenic diet.
    Why?If it's a tiny bit of milk and half a teaspoon of sugar, that's barely 3 carbs...

Protein intake is recommended around 1g per lb of lean body mass (So, at your bf, aim to 145g around per day, or less). Keep net carbs around 20-30g per day. And the rest of your calories from fat.

Lastly, carb up, or carb refeeds aren't necessary if your goal is fat loss, in fact, could be counter productive. So try to stay straight keto all the item until you reach your goal, or as long as you can sustain it (At least, if you can't sustain a lot without a big amount of carbs, try 2-3 weeks straight keto, and then have your carb up, but as I said, they aren't recommended)

Feel free to ask anything
    Struggling to keep protein down - which sounds ridiculous. Here is what I ate today, workout day:

Breakfast:
    3 whole eggs [omelette]
    Tablespoon coconut oil
    50g cheese
    3 slices thin ham
    3 cherry tomatoes
    Tablespoon mayo
    CARBS: 7.5. Calories: 675. Fat: 56.61. Protein: 33.2.

Lunch:
    6 slices thin ham
    50g cheese
    50g broccoli
    Half tablespoon mayo
    CARBS: 5.5. Calories: 317.8. Fat: 22.6. Protein: 19.5.

Snack:
    100g plain yoghurt
    50g strawberries
    CARBS: 3.4. Calories: 66. Fat 3. Protein: 1

Dinner:
    100g chicken breast cooked in half tablespoon coconut oil
    50g broccoli
    Half tablespoon mayo
    CARBS: 2. Calories: 276. Fat: 14. Protein: 32.

Snack:
    100g chicken breast cooked in coconut oil:
    CARBS: 1. Calories: 191. Fat: 7. Protein: 32

TOTAL FOR DAY:
    CARBS: 22
    Calories: 1525.8
    Fat: 103
    Protein: 117

Am I on the right track for body fat loss or do I need to cut protein a bit more? That sounds odd to me when first time around it was all protein, protein, protein.

Feedback welcome. Many thanks.

danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000)
    TOTAL FOR DAY:
    CARBS: 22
    Calories: 1525.8
    Fat: 103
    Protein: 117

Am I on the right track for body fat loss or do I need to cut protein a bit more? That sounds odd to me when first time around it was all protein, protein, protein.

Feedback welcome. Many thanks.
    Protein should be around 145g, like repower suggested.

Do you know what your TDEE is?
    dy/dx (Weight Loss) = Calories

Goals:
    Squats: 275 5x5
    Bench: 225 4x6
    Pendlay: 205 4x6 (Achieved)
    Deadlift: 315 5x5 (Achieved

Originally Posted by danfleysher View Post
    Protein should be around 145g, like repower suggested.

Do you know what your TDEE is?
    Yes mate. About 2246...

Also, what are people's thoughts about how much protein can be absorbed by the body at each meal? I guess it depends on the individual...?

Plus, what about low-carb protein shakes? Any recommendations for some that could be used for a 'snack'...or not worth it?

Many thanks again.

Going to move this over to Keto Logs section...

danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000)
    Also, what are people's thoughts about how much protein can be absorbed by the body at each meal? I guess it depends on the individual...?

Plus, what about low-carb protein shakes? Any recommendations for some that could be used for a 'snack'...or not worth it?

Many thanks again.
    Mrpb would know better but from what I remember, I think the number is around 25g. Remember that different proteins take longer to digest.

Protein shakes should be at least 50% casein. A 100% whey shake can cause an insulin spike which will kick you out of ketosis.
    dy/dx (Weight Loss) = Calories

Goals:
    Squats: 275 5x5
    Bench: 225 4x6
    Pendlay: 205 4x6 (Achieved)
    Deadlift: 315 5x5 (Achieved