iamchris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Plateau. Keep calories same & lower carbs?

Carbohydrates provide energy.

Fat is stores of energy.

Weighing 175 lbs with ~14% body fat, I've got about 25 lbs of stored energy. The human body needs some fat on it, no matter what, for things like proper hormone production. So let's say 6% body fat is the lowest percentage someone could reasonably have while remaining health. That means there is near 15 lbs of stored energy I lug around everyday.

I've been exercising vigorously and have cut my calories to an extent, yet my stored energy--body fat--never seems to reduce. Why could this be? If I have energy stores that're not being used for energy, what source is my body using for energy when I exercise? It must be using the carbs--the other source of energy--I fill myself with everyday.

If my energy stores are too vast already at 15 lbs more than I need, why am I eating more energy--carbs--everyday? Eating more than a single calorie of carbs than my body needs everyday to function is nothing but a hindrance.

Does my logic make sense? Since I'm already below maintenance with the calories, I'm going to reduce calories to as little as possible--perhaps 50 grams a day--and fill in the calorie gap with healthy fats.

What do you think?

(I'm 6-foot, 175 lbs, 13 - 14% body fat. Eating 2,200 calories a day currently, of which 175 grams are complex, low-GL carbs.)
    Last edited by iamchris; 09-23-2003 at 04:59 PM.
    A) Thank-you for your responses or help
    B) Hope this helps a little, good-luck
    C) Um, well... my dick is bigger than yours! ;D

Chris

RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Carbohydrates are also the transport agents that proteins use to get to your muscles.

Try dropping your calories down to about 1800 and see where that gets you. Take in about 180g of protein, 180g of carbs and the rest of the calories from healthy fats. See how that works for you.
    Ron J
    ----------
    Teamwork: A few harmless snowflakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction. www.despair.com

The opinions in this message are exactly that, my opinion and my view. If something is incorrect, feel free to correct me, but don't be a $&%@ about it.

as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    my advice. up your protein to 250-300 grams. stick around 2000 cals..,.50 grams fat, rest from carbs.

gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I dont know everything ... but on the female side they would tell you to up your cals to stimulate your metabolism..they would tell you your in fat storage mode

RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    At 2200 calories and 175 pounds, he should be high enough as far as his calories are concerned. Starvation normally only occurs when you get your calories at or below roughly the 9x mark. So if he were having around 1500 or less, then I would worry.

However, he could possibly benifit from a re-feed. Upping the calories for a week or so to boot the metabolism around a bit. You might gain a pound or two in that period, but it'll speed the metabolism up a bit.
    Ron J
    ----------
    Teamwork: A few harmless snowflakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction. www.despair.com

The opinions in this message are exactly that, my opinion and my view. If something is incorrect, feel free to correct me, but don't be a $&%@ about it.

gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    in that case ron, how many cals would you suggest for a female weight 128-130 dont know BF but Im guessing about 20%
    Im currently doing about 1500 for about a week.. which is higher than I was going. It seem that when Im lower Im always cold...scratchy throat runny nose immune system down..
    PS I do 5-6 cardio sessions a week 3 weights
    I gained about 12 lbs after a rebound type thing .. I used to do the low carb thing, added the carbs in and couldnt get the weight off
    Im trying to stay at 40/40//20 now

Jaegang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaegang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaegang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    To original poster,

The reason why you are at a plateou is clearly because your body has adjusted to 2200 calorie.

That 2200 calorie you are consuming is being utilized in very efficient manner to do the work of 2500-3000 calorie, hence you have no true weight loss.

The other issue is your body leptin level is low; leptin drives your fat loss.

I suggest:

1) Every saturday to eat 3000-3200 calories [high carb mod protein low fat ] (to restore leptin) and then on sunday to have an endurance cardio of 45 mins.

2) Change your cardio session. You need to take it to next level now. Introduce fartlek to it. Do 10 mins easy pace then do fartlek which is 30 sec hard then 1 min recovery then 60 sec hard then 1 min recovery repeat fartlek. The more sets you can do the better but build up slowly eventually to a total workout of 30 mins.

3) Drop calorie down to 2000 calorie/day.

Hope this helps.
    The difference between me and that famous guy in the magazine or the internet is one thing.

TAKING ACTION.

Stuff talent or genes. Taking action is all I need.

Completed Olympic distance triathlon
    32 mins : 1 hr 13 mins : 55 mins

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally posted by gallerygurl
    in that case ron, how many cals would you suggest for a female weight 128-130 dont know BF but Im guessing about 20%
    Im currently doing about 1500 for about a week.. which is higher than I was going. It seem that when Im lower Im always cold...scratchy throat runny nose immune system down..
    PS I do 5-6 cardio sessions a week 3 weights
    I gained about 12 lbs after a rebound type thing .. I used to do the low carb thing, added the carbs in and couldnt get the weight off
    Im trying to stay at 40/40//20 now
    You are pretty persistant about this one aren't you

The standard calculations that people suggest - that is 10 - 12 x body weight etc, are not really 'designed' for females. (Read this thread as to why.... http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hlight=females )

The ones I gave you in your original post are what I usually suggest instead.. Then, just monitor yourself carefully and see how you respond!

Remember - weight loss is NOT about starving yourself!!