SirLuckey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need a Uni-Lateral Ab Exercise!

I have been working out steadily for about 2 years and in the past 4 months have completely changed my diet and am on a lean cut. Things are going great and I am starting to see my upper 4 abs, but I have noticed that my left side is smaller than the right, and noticeably so. Its at the point where that when I inhale my right abs will hold strong, but my left side will puff out. I am looking for some unilateral Ab workouts to strengthen that left side. Thanks a bunch!

P.S Even if you think there is nothing that can be done for me, I would still like to know of some exercises. And to be clear I do not mean my left obliques, but my left three center abdominal muscles.

Elokuu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elokuu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elokuu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elokuu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elokuu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elokuu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elokuu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elokuu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elokuu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elokuu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elokuu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I was going to give you an option for obliques since you said 'unilateral', but I notice you refer just to the rectus abdominis muscle.

I think doing effective abs exercises will even out the differences in the future. In this case, my suggestion would be to stick with hanging knee raises and seated cable crunches, which are working wonderfully for me.

If I had to think about targeting just your left side of the abs, I would offer you two options:

1. Hanging knee raises, but where you lean more towards the left side when coming up. I think their effectiveness in this sense can be tested directly by you when trying the exercise.

2. Knee tuck planks with the left leg tucked in: resist the more you can and engage your core when doing it. If you want to work the muscle with reps, I believe you may try with moving the left leg towards and away from your abs. I cannot comment on this last part, since I'm just stuck with planks without any movement. But try it and see if it engages your left part.

Registered User blazing_hellion's Avatar
    blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well what the guy above already said for sure. Although not really part of this particular situation, but dwn the line if you can do 1 arm pushups it will really thrash your core. I'm usually the most sore there when I train them
    "The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender!"

"A lesson without pain is meaningless. For you cannot gain something without sacrificing something else in return. But once you have overcome it and made it your own... You will posses a irreplaceable Full-metal heart." -Full Metal Alchemist

magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i think thats awkward thing to do. i would rather focus on doing abs properly from now on.

SirLuckey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the tips guys. Appreciate it, and Ill give them a shot

Registered User blazing_hellion's Avatar
    blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by magician27 View Post
    i think thats awkward thing to do. i would rather focus on doing abs properly from now on.
    Yes, hence i said down the line.
    "The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender!"

"A lesson without pain is meaningless. For you cannot gain something without sacrificing something else in return. But once you have overcome it and made it your own... You will posses a irreplaceable Full-metal heart." -Full Metal Alchemist