Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000)

Ask a Professional Rugby Strength & Conditioning Coach Anything

Thought I'd do a little Q&A since there are quite a few rugby questions that pop up in here.

Happy to answer questions not related to rugby and general S&C questions. Going to say now a lot of answers will probably be "it depends."

Ask away!
    Tnation Articles:
    https://www.t-nation.com/all-articles/authors/james-de-lacey

STACK Articles:
    http://www.stack.com/expert/james-de-lacey

theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Not a rugby guy but since you said you will answer general S/C questions and no one has asked...

What do you think of the importance of posterior chain vs anterior chain for a huge vertical? Is the posterior chain that much important because there are a lot of people who haven't done a single squat/deadlift in their life and rely more on their quads with impressive jumps...I wanted to see your opinion on that one.

I may ask few more questions but for now.. answering this one will be awesome.

iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It would be cool to hear some of the results you've gotten with your athletes!

Thanks for doing this!

KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by iHATEnumberTWO View Post
    It would be cool to hear some of the results you've gotten with your athletes!

Thanks for doing this!
    Anything in particular? You'd be suprised how many professional athletes you can't get good testing data off because they lift and move like sh*t
    Tnation Articles:

STACK Articles:

Originally Posted by theFutureD View Post
    Not a rugby guy but since you said you will answer general S/C questions and no one has asked...

What do you think of the importance of posterior chain vs anterior chain for a huge vertical? Is the posterior chain that much important because there are a lot of people who haven't done a single squat/deadlift in their life and rely more on their quads with impressive jumps...I wanted to see your opinion on that one.

I may ask few more questions but for now.. answering this one will be awesome.
    You'll probably find those people are just naturally springy. Tbh, don't think one is more important than the other. Rather it comes down to being able to display strength very quickly all in the vertical direction. Think holistically rather than if you should just develop posterior or anterior for a bigger jump. Technical considerations also come into here.
    Tnation Articles:

STACK Articles:

Daarren12 is not very well liked. (-100) Daarren12 is not very well liked. (-100) Daarren12 is not very well liked. (-100) Daarren12 is not very well liked. (-100) Daarren12 is not very well liked. (-100) Daarren12 is not very well liked. (-100) Daarren12 is not very well liked. (-100) Daarren12 is not very well liked. (-100) Daarren12 is not very well liked. (-100) Daarren12 is not very well liked. (-100) Daarren12 is not very well liked. (-100)
    what if i want to make a rugby tackle should i activate the cns of my core.

Originally Posted by Daarren12 View Post
    what if i want to make a rugby tackle should i activate the cns of my core.
    Not sure if trolling but if not, you shouldn't be thinking of anything to do with muscles just like when you perform any other movement.
    Tnation Articles:

STACK Articles:

iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by KiwiJames View Post
    Anything in particular? You'd be suprised how many professional athletes you can't get good testing data off because they lift and move like sh*t
    Maybe in terms of short sprint speed (like your article).

Also, what would you say all of the athletes were decently lean?

Last question: do you give your players dietary advice? If so, what is it?

Maybe in terms of short sprint speed (like your article).

Also, what would you say all of the athletes were decently lean?

Last question: do you give your players dietary advice? If so, what is it?
    Oh man I wish I had some, last couple of clubs haven't had anything to get data with for speed luckily now I have mysprint on my ipad so can test without lights and get way more data out of it.

Don't understand your 2nd question sorry.

Yea usually have to give nutrition advice as a lot of clubs don't invest in someone for that. In terms of advice, most athletes don't know sh*t about food. So I've had to give examples of good breakfasts and advice for losing body fat that doesn't involve them just not eating carbs as so many of them do. This post will get super long if I go specifics so if you want some let me know and it can be a separate post.
    Tnation Articles:

STACK Articles:

theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thoughts on training the hamstrings before say a squat or deadlift? Pros/cons of that?

Originally Posted by theFutureD View Post
    Thoughts on training the hamstrings before say a squat or deadlift? Pros/cons of that?
    Squat
    Pros: feels more stable through your squat.
    Warms your knees up quite well.
    If you have knee pain, can take some of that away.

Cons: Can't squat as much due to fatigue

Deadlift
    Pros: Can't really think of any unless you were a bodybuilder of some sort.

Cons: Everything ranging from increased injury risk to performance
    Tnation Articles:

STACK Articles:

Oh man I wish I had some, last couple of clubs haven't had anything to get data with for speed luckily now I have mysprint on my ipad so can test without lights and get way more data out of it.

Don't understand your 2nd question sorry.

Yea usually have to give nutrition advice as a lot of clubs don't invest in someone for that. In terms of advice, most athletes don't know sh*t about food. So I've had to give examples of good breakfasts and advice for losing body fat that doesn't involve them just not eating carbs as so many of them do. This post will get super long if I go specifics so if you want some let me know and it can be a separate post.
    oh, that sucks.

if you had the time, I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on nutrition for athletes.

thanks!

oh, that sucks.

if you had the time, I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on nutrition for athletes.

thanks!
    Narrow it down for me otherwise nutrition for athletes is the biggest super broad topic ever
    Tnation Articles:

STACK Articles:

Narrow it down for me otherwise nutrition for athletes is the biggest super broad topic ever
    True. Sorry.

Do you prefer the "just eat clean" approach or counting macros approach?

True. Sorry.

Do you prefer the "just eat clean" approach or counting macros approach?
    Most athletes don't have a clue about calories and food or how to even get started with that. I usually just give them good meal options they can have and different options in each food group. Sometimes I'll even go to the supermarket with them to show them how to shop.

Basically don't use the counting macros approach with them unless they really know what they are doing. Otherwise it's just teaching good food options. Hope that answered it
    Tnation Articles:

STACK Articles:

jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Any benefit to foot strengthening exercises? I'm an old, slow prop with a desk job. I've always been slow. I'm starting to think my lack of speed is partially due to weakish feet but I I'm not sure what's the ultimate determining factor.
    #sunyourballs
    Unvaxed sperm is the next Bitcoin
    ⒻⓊⒸⓀ ⒷⒾⒹⒺⓃ

Originally Posted by jamalfudge View Post
    Any benefit to foot strengthening exercises? I'm an old, slow prop with a desk job. I've always been slow. I'm starting to think my lack of speed is partially due to weakish feet but I I'm not sure what's the ultimate determining factor.
    Like ankle strengthening? Then yea sure it can help but it's hard for me to give the ultimate determining factor with no info. Most likely there's no ultimate determine factor and it's a whole range if different things.

For your feet/ankles you can start with something like skipping rope work on a soft surface to ease you in and even some hill work. Since you're a prop, start with really really low volume and work your way up otherwise you'll probably come up with all kinds of knee issues
    Tnation Articles:

STACK Articles:

jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Like ankle strengthening? Then yea sure it can help but it's hard for me to give the ultimate determining factor with no info. Most likely there's no ultimate determine factor and it's a whole range if different things.

For your feet/ankles you can start with something like skipping rope work on a soft surface to ease you in and even some hill work. Since you're a prop, start with really really low volume and work your way up otherwise you'll probably come up with all kinds of knee issues
    Can you elaborate on that last bit? I actually started doing some toe/calf raise static holds last week. Next day I played a scrimmage in training, and the day after that, began aching. Not painful, but a tight ache. I may have been overdoing it a little but if I go back and analyze what I've done different, it was the foot strengthening bit.
    #sunyourballs
    ⒻⓊⒸⓀ ⒷⒾⒹⒺⓃ

Originally Posted by jamalfudge View Post
    Can you elaborate on that last bit? I actually started doing some toe/calf raise static holds last week. Next day I played a scrimmage in training, and the day after that, began aching. Not painful, but a tight ache. I may have been overdoing it a little but if I go back and analyze what I've done different, it was the foot strengthening bit.
    Could be a conditioning issue. An example of low volume may be something like 2-3x10 bounces (with or without the skipping rope) and build from there into other forms of jumping like box jumps. Do it early in the training week away from games etc. Can't say this is definitely going to fix your problem as again there's not too much info but may spark some ideas on your part.
    Tnation Articles:

STACK Articles:

Could be a conditioning issue. An example of low volume may be something like 2-3x10 bounces (with or without the skipping rope) and build from there into other forms of jumping like box jumps. Do it early in the training week away from games etc. Can't say this is definitely going to fix your problem as again there's not too much info but may spark some ideas on your part.
    Got it. Thanks man.
    #sunyourballs
    ⒻⓊⒸⓀ ⒷⒾⒹⒺⓃ

KoKomurad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thought I'd do a little Q&A since there are quite a few rugby questions that pop up in here.

Happy to answer questions not related to rugby and general S&C questions. Going to say now a lot of answers will probably be "it depends."

Ask away!
    Hiii, I am 20 years old, 182cm 82kg

I play as a flyhalf my question is

my university is an hour away from my due to that i cant find enough time to go to the gym so I bough a barbell and weights added up top 50kg, pair of dumbbells , bench ,and a pull up bar I am trying to mix these with some body-weight exercises do you think that its possible to get stronger with working out at home, if yes please do u have a good lifting routine, and thanks

Originally Posted by KoKomurad View Post
    Hiii, I am 20 years old, 182cm 82kg

I play as a flyhalf my question is

my university is an hour away from my due to that i cant find enough time to go to the gym so I bough a barbell and weights added up top 50kg, pair of dumbbells , bench ,and a pull up bar I am trying to mix these with some body-weight exercises do you think that its possible to get stronger with working out at home, if yes please do u have a good lifting routine, and thanks
    Sure, you can get a good start with all that. Start really basic, pick an upper body push, pull and a lower body squat and hinge (deadlift type movement pattern) and every 4 weeks you can pick a different exercise in each category. This will tide you over until you can get more weight and/or find a gym close by
    Tnation Articles:

STACK Articles:

KoKomurad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you

Rugbywinger14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm a winger I am already quite fast but I have never done any type of speed training apart from leg work such as squats straight leg deadlifts and lunges in the gym. Usually 4 sets 8 reps

How much of an improvement can be made through proper speed training? Also can certain types of gym training slow me down?

Lastly I have a body fat % of around 13 is that good for a rugby back or should it be lower?

Originally Posted by Rugbywinger14 View Post
    I'm a winger I am already quite fast but I have never done any type of speed training apart from leg work such as squats straight leg deadlifts and lunges in the gym. Usually 4 sets 8 reps

How much of an improvement can be made through proper speed training? Also can certain types of gym training slow me down?

Lastly I have a body fat % of around 13 is that good for a rugby back or should it be lower?
    Huge improvements can be made with proper speed training in and out of the gym so definitely get started on that. Certain gym movements won't slow you down as such, it's just how the training is structured overall. 13% bodyfat isn't bad, just depends on your height and weight whether or not you should worry about being leaner before your other performance standards.
    Tnation Articles:

STACK Articles:

If anyone is interested, I'm Part 2 into a 4 part series on agility and speed training.

Part 1: http://www.dimeperformance.com/#!The...f22a80b02a51e0

Part 2: http://www.dimeperformance.com/#!The...f2d686649abaaf
    Tnation Articles:

STACK Articles:

Greginglis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So I'm playing in the centres and I was wondering if I should try and concentrate on getting a bit bigger and stronger or focus a bit more on getting quicker and more agile. Would coaches prefer a player a bit bigger but slower and less fit or players a little smaller but faster and fitter. At the moment, I'm pretty quick and fit but not overly big but I find that I am quite strong for my size and I find I can compete with the forwards in the weight room.

goffy6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What would you say the best in-season gym programme is? Struggling to find something where I am fully recovered come match day (Saturday).

Originally Posted by Greginglis View Post
    So I'm playing in the centres and I was wondering if I should try and concentrate on getting a bit bigger and stronger or focus a bit more on getting quicker and more agile. Would coaches prefer a player a bit bigger but slower and less fit or players a little smaller but faster and fitter. At the moment, I'm pretty quick and fit but not overly big but I find that I am quite strong for my size and I find I can compete with the forwards in the weight room.
    What's your height and weight now? Funnily enough you gotta be big, strong, fast and fit nowadays 😉
    Tnation Articles:

STACK Articles:

Originally Posted by goffy6 View Post
    What would you say the best in-season gym programme is? Struggling to find something where I am fully recovered come match day (Saturday).
    In my experience, I like the Monday full body strength day, then Wed or Thurs full body power day. Some other coaches like full body strength Monday or Tuesday then a "power primer" on Friday before the game which is just a really light and quick session. Then there's some individual needs in between if the athlete needs to be bigger or leaner. Maybe play around with both and see what you like better
    Tnation Articles:

STACK Articles: