bryanlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) bryanlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) bryanlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) bryanlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) bryanlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) bryanlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) bryanlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) bryanlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) bryanlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) bryanlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) bryanlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Benefits of Supersetting

Benefits of Supersetting
    By Bryan Ault
    March 2016

Supersets hold several benefits for the experienced and beginning lifter. From cardio benefits to good pumps, they are an invaluable part of any training regimen and a key ingredient to building the body you want!

***What are supersets?***

Supersetting is a training method by which you group two exercises or lifts together and do one right after the other. Another term could be compound sets.

For example, if you do a Dumbbell Shrug and Dumbbell Shoulder Press on your Shoulder/Traps day, you would do a set of presses and immediately follow it up with shrugs with no rest period between the two sets. That's one superset. Rest for 30 seconds, and get back at it! You repeat the process until your desired set-rep range is complete. The idea is to hit two similar but different muscle groups together. In the above example, both the shoulders and traps were both worked consecutively.

Let's use the Press and Shrug as an example throughout this article.

***Benefits***

I've identified four benefits of super-setting.

1.) Supersets maximize your time in the weight room. Since there's no rest period, you do more lifts in less time, and get more done. You can do a lot while super setting two exercises for 10 minutes.

2.) Supersets add productivity to your workout while also providing rest periods (not a typo!). Though you're working and doing more in a shorter span, your traps are in a rest period while you're doing your presses since your presses target your delts - and vice versa with shrugs.

And think about it. If you're doing just one exercise at a time for your entire workout, you're sitting there doing nothing and wasting valuable minutes while you could be targeting another muscle group.

3. Supersets provide a nice pump and boost of energy! I've noticed this to be true with any arms workout. A superset of Cable Curls and Tricep Pushdowns make you look ripped. Your muscles are popping and ready to attack whatever is next.

That's why I find them to be beneficial toward the beginning of the workout. They also add a sense of self-confidence - "I just got a lot done and I've only been here for 10 minutes."

4.The greatest benefit is that supersets increase your cardiovascular health. Since there isn't a full rest period for both muscle groups, your body remains in a nice, anabolic state and your heart rate increases. Surely, it shouldn't replace running or walking; but it does add cardio into lifting.

***How many things should I superset?**

Not everything! I try to incorporate 1-2 supersets into most workouts, then work every other exercise one at a time.

Try to superset things that use similar equipment. Dumbbells are your friend here, as are cable machines - anything that keeps you in the same place in a gym for an extended amount of time. Leg curls and leg extensions are good, too, especially if the machines are right next to each other.
    Twitter - @INFootballScout.
    Workout Journal - bpalifting.wordpress.com
    Work hard, stay humble.

fat234fit will become famous soon enough. (+50) fat234fit will become famous soon enough. (+50) fat234fit will become famous soon enough. (+50) fat234fit will become famous soon enough. (+50) fat234fit will become famous soon enough. (+50) fat234fit will become famous soon enough. (+50) fat234fit will become famous soon enough. (+50) fat234fit will become famous soon enough. (+50) fat234fit will become famous soon enough. (+50) fat234fit will become famous soon enough. (+50) fat234fit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for posting. Will definitely try, the idea of getting a lot done in a short space of time appeals to me.

That metal guy in the gym RMohio's Avatar
    RMohio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMohio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMohio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMohio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMohio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMohio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMohio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMohio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMohio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMohio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMohio has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I usually super set Bi's and Tri's. Once in a while I will group Back and Chest together if I have to miss a gym day. I love the pump and knowing that I was able to got those two exercises knocked out back to back. it saves time and helps you focus on your routine and pre-planning.
    Injuries are in my past, greatness is in my future.