Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61
Results 1,801 to 1,817 of 1817

Thread: Laser Focus

DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by shesprints View Post
    I love nogi because it's fast and also because who wants to wear a gi in this weather?
    Rubber Guard FTW. Ive even used it in a Gi. If you have problem controlling people because they get slippery, its a great option.

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Congrats on the blue belt! You are correct, most non BJJ people are like I have no idea what that is. That's like when you talk to people about lifting and they don't lift. Tell em you deadlift 315 and they're like ok, well that sounds like a lot I think, is that a good amount for that?
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

sadly, life is a marathon shesprints's Avatar
    shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    Rubber Guard FTW. Ive even used it in a Gi. If you have problem controlling people because they get slippery, its a great option.
    Mmm I don't think I should play it on my left side, because that knee shouldn't twist, but I can try right-leg rubber guard. Thank you for reminding me I had meant to try a gogoplata tomorrow!

Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    Congrats on the blue belt! You are correct, most non BJJ people are like I have no idea what that is. That's like when you talk to people about lifting and they don't lift. Tell em you deadlift 315 and they're like ok, well that sounds like a lot I think, is that a good amount for that?
    To your point, I am quite sure you have no idea what we are talking about above, lol. I'm glad you find something in my log to read, anyway.

And for the curious, gogoplata from rubber guard:

Man I love that 10th planet stuff. I should try training there a few times... really impressed with their women when they visit.
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Training today was good! I woke up at like 4:30 a.m., which was fine because class started at 7:00; I got there a bit early to warm up. Then we just jumped straight into independent techinque practice followed by specific situational sparring. The instructor emphasized that as we progress to higher belts we will find more and more value in situational sparring, i.e. sparring from ONE set position with ONE set goal, like simply to pass guard or simply to sweep the person. Then, if that failed, reset in the same position and go again. Marcelo runs a lot of classes based on very short situational training. He sets us up in half guard, or side control, or mount, and the goal is to escape in 30 seconds (or if you're on top to hold the other person down). When you succeed/fail, restart the training. I do like this sort of thing because it's a great way to develop specific responses to common positions, and to focus on small details.

I didn't play rubber guard because I didn't want to appear to be showboating in a class of upper belts, who'd probably laugh at me.

There was only one other woman in the class, a brown belt who was very nice to roll with and who needed to be careful of some of her own injuries. We rolled twice. The rest of the time I sought out higher belts to stay safe. My knee was a tiny bit sore afterwards but felt fine by the time I'd showered.

BJJ--advanced 1 nogi
    Specific training: I chose shin on shin guard sweeps (either getting wrist control and sweeping out their far leg, or ankle pick if they step too close, or double leg from seated if they backstep)
    8 x 2:30 rounds specific training
    2 x 5 min regular training

Rolled with very nice brown belt girl who did a double take when I said I only just got my blue--said I definitely didn't feel like a white belt She also asked if I'd wrestled because I had a good base and strong grips. Basically, I was super flattered. I also almost got an arm triangle from top half as the time ran out on one of our rounds.

In addition to shin-on-shin, I worked on recovering position from turtle. I hit a few sit-outs from there and inverted back to closed guard. I rolled with some black belt guys who let me work on stuff like maintaining my knee shield. I'm also pleased with my guard retention today and with my hand fighting. Still need to work on butterfly sweep in nogi. I think I need to get on my side more.

I think my nogi is actually inferior to my gi jiu jitsu at this point just because I'm slowed down by being careful of my knee. I may do more nogi as my knee heals fully. Interestingly, the woman I rolled with had also been injured a lot. I read a recent study on BJJ injuries that said that risk factors included being smaller than average (yup, in a gym full of guys, ALL of us women are smaller than average). I'm going to focus on picking my training partners more judiciously, for sure. Trying to stay either closer to my size OR upper belts who will let me play top and move slowly.

Stressful day... student who's taking the ACT tomorrow keeps calling. I'm OK with it as I just want to support him! But his nerves will only hurt. Trying to convey that sense of calm is hard when I'm stressed by.... his stress?
    Last edited by shesprints; 07-12-2019 at 05:37 PM.
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good to see other people waking up at 4:30am, makes me feel slightly less crazy.
    Stressful day... student who's taking the ACT tomorrow keeps calling. I'm OK with it as I just want to support him! But his nerves will only hurt. Trying to convey that sense of calm is hard when I'm stressed by.... his stress?
    Yep, taking on other people's stress is often worse than your own personal stress. Takes a special person to de-stress that whole situation. I am 100% not that person.
    Current PRs:

*Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

Good to see other people waking up at 4:30am, makes me feel slightly less crazy.

Yep, taking on other people's stress is often worse than your own personal stress. Takes a special person to de-stress that whole situation. I am 100% not that person.
    Man if you told me to wake up at 3am for jiu jitsu, I would. I missed it so much.

Yesterday there was a competition so many of our gym went. I stopped by before going to the Bronx Zoo with Rachel. One of the black belt instructors commented that he had a rib injury and always got depressed when he couldn't train. And that he didn't really enjoy workout that weren't either BJJ or training specifically FOR BJJ. I was like "I am way below your level, but I relate!"

So yesterday was a day off BJJ but we did a lot of walking at the zoo.

Today I did a level 1 class and an advanced class. My friend took his intro class and I think he's going to join for real! I'm psyched.

BJJ--2 hours

Level 1 class in gi
    Focus on kimura and arm bar from side control
    Basic hip throw to arm bar
    Basic circle pass, remembering to circle back and control knee similar to leg drag position.
    Side control to knee on belly when they frame then back to side and get underhook
    Pressure their elbow down with your shoulder and grab their wrist in americana. Elbow driving into the head and pressure on body while finishing. If they extend the arm, switch to arm bar; if they turn it, switch to kimura.

Advanced 1 class
    Just open roll
    Went with upper belts and got smashed a bunch. Inverted out of some bad positions and got to x guard a lot (my default) but had trouble sweeping. Grips were good. Need to chain more moves from failed sweeps and have more guard pass options. It's hard to balance speed with my need to be careful of the knee!

Knee feels way better btw, essentially back to normal. Ahhhhh yay!

Still not training two days in a row, but decided two classes in a row can be ok.
    --Hubert Humphrey

My knee feels pretty close to 100%, so it was a mental battle not going to train BJJ today, but I went to the regular gym instead and did my PT exercises, core, and played around with kettlebells and pushup variations. I also did 6 sets of 2 chinups each, which felt pretty easy! I'm so close to being able to do sets of 3....

Workout

5 min jog
    Plank 1 min
    Bird dog from plank x 10
    Wall sit 1 min
    Knee jump to feet x 5
    Dead bug series w 30s holds
    Bridge press 20lb 2 x 15 each side
    Hollow hold 30s
    Turkish getup 20lb x 5 each side
    Plank KB drag 20lb x 20
    Pushups with sit through 2 x 10
    Spiderman pushups 2 x 10
    Plyo pushups 2 x 4
    Chinups 6 x 2
    KB swings 30lb 5 x 30s
    Suitcase carry 40lb x 1:30 each side
    Bottoms up carry 20lb x 40s each
    Band walks 3 x 10 each way
    Bulgarian split squats 20lb 2 x 10
    Foam balance w reach 3 x 9

Quad stretch 3 x 15s
    Foam roll

I also discussed with my brown belt friend the need to flow roll more. It's still so hard for me, but it's such a valuable thing to be able to do--train at 50% or less and focus on precise movements. I have never struggled with turning it on for competitions, so focusing on form and movement quality in training is good for me. I won't do that all the time, of course, but way more.
    --Hubert Humphrey

DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Dont try to flow roll with the guy who is 6'3, conveniently "forgot" to bring his gi and is in some sort of nogi rashguard with flaming skulls that are color coordinated with his forearm tatoos.

Nice job on the chin up progress!

Same wake up motivation for me, if I get to lift or race I can get up at 4am ready to go, if all I get to do is go to work, meh.
    Current PRs:

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    Dont try to flow roll with the guy who is 6'3, conveniently "forgot" to bring his gi and is in some sort of nogi rashguard with flaming skulls that are color coordinated with his forearm tatoos.
    LOL you know something? That's not totally accurate. One of my best friends is a former punk, covered in tattoos. He was straightedge and never touched a drink or drugs, and he's an incredibly gentle person, aside from resembling the stereotype you posted above. But no, the answer is that apparently one should not try to flow roll with another new blue belt--a smaller, unassuming-looking man with a salt-and-pepper beard who wins the prize for spazziest blue belt I have ever seen, throws wild attempts at torreando passes into the mix, yanks on gi sleeves wildly, and has no ability to modulate pressure or speed, apparently. I survived. I'm still uninjured. And I definitely am not the spazziest blue belt in the gym lmao.

Nice job on the chin up progress!

Same wake up motivation for me, if I get to lift or race I can get up at 4am ready to go, if all I get to do is go to work, meh.
    Yeah, exactly. Though, frankly, I'm pretty good about waking up early no matter what it's for... I'm not great at sleeping in.

It's been an eventful evening and day. Last night, Rachel and I went out to a play (a comedy about online dating with audience participation and improv elements). It was so much fun. The show is based around the story of a woman who created multiple fake profiles just to collect the responses; it was interleavened with statistics from OKCupid and funny anecdotes about messages she received. The actors also brought several people up on stage to act out a "date" based on the app they created for use during the show (literally, we all downloaded a dating app to our phones). Plus, at one point they asked the audience to raise hands if they had met online, and Rachel and I raised our hands and we got to be the couple they picked for an interview! I had to explain why I picked her to message. The answer was "her pictures weren't too good." I clarified that I meant they weren't too staged--she herself was beautiful. I think what I loved the most about that was how seen it made me feel, as well as how fun it was for she and I to flirt in front of an audience. It's just... lesbian relationships often go invisible, or are just fodder for the straight male gaze (like the garbageman who yelled 'why don't you hold my hand?' at us as we walke home). This was a really cool opportunity to be asked for our story in front of a predominantly hetero audience and treated just the same as straight people would be--we got to give our perspective. Plus when we said we'd been together over a year that was really cool. Great proof of online dating. Another fact learned at the show: apparently over 30% of relationships today have begun online--it's expected to jump to 70% by 2040. Isn't that nuts?

Anyway, between that and going back to her place afterwards (we were both dressed up very nicely and, what can I say, don't want to waste that...) I did NOT get a ton of sleep last night. Which was a terrible idea because BJJ training was insane today. Marcos Tinoco taught, and he is SO TOUGH on us. I'm always dead after his classes, let alone if I'm sleep-deprived going in.

BJJ--1 hour
    Level 2 gi
    Guard pull to single leg with lapel
    Pull guard and come up on leg
    Grab lapel underneath but high--pull them down
    Also hold with other hand
    Come up on leg (keep head wedged into their body!)
    Pull then forward to off-balance and finish the single as they come back
    Next: knee push pass
    Pant grip and push knees in, go down on knee and shelve legs over other knee. Switch sides as they frame.

6 x 2:30 specific training starting with pant and sleeve grips
    2 x 5 min regular training
    Passed guard a few times
    Got stuck with spider; instructor tip is to pull back and push their extended leg down to negate the spider grip. If you push forward instead they will sweep!

Had to deal with the spazzy blue belt guy, but also got to roll with a blue belt woman whom I've been beating for several months. She congratulated me on my belt and said that it was long overdue, which was nice and, I suppose, accurate--she has improved herself, great inverted game and very tough to pin down until her cardio runs out, which is, um, 2 minutes into a 5 minute round, as it turns out. If she had better cardio she'd be at my level, in all honesty. I also got a nice callout for my strength from a blue belt guy. He got a little complacent facing a girl, I think, and after I passed guard and got to side control, he could not budge me. My friend/drill buddy took my back and submitted me, though--which is fair, he's a guy and 15-20 pounds heavier. It was still a fun roll. I'm definitely a little rusty and need to have more of my moves come back to me. I also need to work a lot more on guard passes. Glad that was today's lesson.

I also went to PT in the afternoon but only did sideways band walks and single leg bridge presses, plus foam rolling. It was really a chance to check in with the PT. He says my knee sounds like it's better but I should keep emphasizing PT outside of BJJ for a couple more weeks before transitioning back to 4 days BJJ/2 days lifting. He said that I need to prioritize one or the other, in phases. I want to be in a BJJ phase, so I'll have to back off on heavy lifting. I like calisthenics more anyhow. But he does want me to return to previous strength if possible; we're testing next week.

Basically stuff I know: don't always go all out, keep time for working on my body outside of BJJ, and work up in intensity. Tomorrow all I plan to do is go to drill class, which is not taxing in the least and has no live rounds, so that the next day I can do a proper training session. Then regular gym on Friday, off Saturday (am going to the Hamptons) and BJJ Sunday (in the Hamptons!).
    --Hubert Humphrey

Registered User Fiction2Fitness's Avatar
    Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sounds like an interesting play and fun date. I do know a fair number of people who have met online, even a couple of my older relatives did meet their current spouses online. With so much going tech makes sense with the numbers and potential for increase since it's not just even dating sites. I've had a couple of relationships start from a writing web site, for example. Now there are also things like meetup, which give group gatherings that have potential for meeting people. Many options out there and it keeps growing.
    Gym Max: 229/126/305
    Meet Max: 1st Meet 198/115/248
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281
    Goals: 235/135/315

Just Strong Ambassador
    http://juststrong.com/discount/ambwil10

erica44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erica44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erica44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erica44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erica44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erica44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erica44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erica44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erica44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erica44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erica44 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    love all the jiu-jitsu going on in here. I talked to a friend of mine in Arkansas yesterday and he trains bjj. I miss it, and he said I should get back into it. We were also discussing yoga, and I came to the realization that bjj is just the contact version of yoga. LOL. I need the non-contact version right now.

also cool about the play and date. I dated my ex-boyfriend for 5 years and we met online, back when it was still newish. His group of friends ALL found their current spouses online as well. It is a thing that's for sure.
    Life's journey is not about arriving at your grave in a perfect, well-preserved body, but, rather to slide in head-first yelling "Holy ****!!! What a Ride!!!!

Originally Posted by Fiction2Fitness View Post
    Sounds like an interesting play and fun date. I do know a fair number of people who have met online, even a couple of my older relatives did meet their current spouses online. With so much going tech makes sense with the numbers and potential for increase since it's not just even dating sites. I've had a couple of relationships start from a writing web site, for example. Now there are also things like meetup, which give group gatherings that have potential for meeting people. Many options out there and it keeps growing.
    Heck yeah! I mean... it would be remiss of me not to point out that we ourselves are online friends (at least, I consider you a friend). I've met people IRL from here--I actually made a business connection in the Misc, which is crazy. Internet and "real life" are not separate realms anymore.

Originally Posted by erica44 View Post
    love all the jiu-jitsu going on in here. I talked to a friend of mine in Arkansas yesterday and he trains bjj. I miss it, and he said I should get back into it. We were also discussing yoga, and I came to the realization that bjj is just the contact version of yoga. LOL. I need the non-contact version right now.

also cool about the play and date. I dated my ex-boyfriend for 5 years and we met online, back when it was still newish. His group of friends ALL found their current spouses online as well. It is a thing that's for sure.
    Too right about BJJ... I sometimes like to say it's partnered breakdancing, since it's often not as slow or meditative as yoga! It has certainly motivated me to work on my flexibility, though, and to enjoy movement drills for their own sake. I tried to convince Fiction to join me in the land of ridiculous animal crawls, but she won't :P I will keep evangelizing, though. There's nothing like doing some spiderman pushup walks or bear crawls to make you feel like a kid again. And cartwheels and headstands! I didn't even realize how much I missed moving my body like that until I rediscovered it.

So today I woke up SO HUNGRY and SO WIPED OUT it was ridiculous. I slowly recovered during the day and then went to Marcelo's just to do the drill class. I stayed afterwards a bit to learn from a purple belt who knows how to pass a common guard I keep going up against, especially with one particular gym friend, a very skilled new purple belt. I absorbed a LOT of info this evening, but while my brain is working hard, my body is well-rested, because it was all drilling and no live rolls.

Tomorrow I'm going to aim for two back-to-back classes. Wish me luck. It'll be tough.

BJJ--1 hour + drill class
    Free drill: knee cut pass attempt blocked with rdlr; move to long step, then circle around the other direction stapling legs. Note to start with cross collar and pant grip.
    Closed guard sweep:
    1. Start w foot on hip and come up, overhooking arm from behind to keep them from posting. Hip bump by throwing hips at them and looking behind.
    2. If they posture up or block, switch hips and grab their thigh (wrestler move). Let them limp arm their arm to escape it. Either take back or sweep the OTHER way, posting both hands for more leverage if needed.
    3. Threaten omoplata by wedging elbow into their neck. If you can't finish it, turn it into a sweep to mount.

Bonus:
    Passing spider and lasso
    Squat down and posture up
    First deal with the spider: either push with knee (in or out) and circle hand to break grip OR kneel on their bicep and grip. Hold their pant leg at knee.
    Step on inner thigh with toes to pin their leg.
    Grab belt with the hand they are gripping on lasso side.
    C cup their ankle to get it out and them leg drag. Remember to kneel on bottom leg. Also remember to shove shoulder down as you leg drag.
    Grab the back of their belt. Also grab belt on other side. Fall onto your shoulder and keep strong hook on their leg as you do. Kick out with that hook and yank sleeve free.
    Grab far side lapel and underhook or back of their collar. Plant head next to their head on far side and tripod to complete leg drag pass.

This is all very useful stuff that I'll try to put into practice tomorrow.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Registered User Fiction2Fitness's Avatar
    Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Heck yeah! I mean... it would be remiss of me not to point out that we ourselves are online friends (at least, I consider you a friend). I've met people IRL from here--I actually made a business connection in the Misc, which is crazy. Internet and "real life" are not separate realms anymore.

-

So today I woke up SO HUNGRY and SO WIPED OUT it was ridiculous. I slowly recovered during the day and then went to Marcelo's just to do the drill class. I stayed afterwards a bit to learn from a purple belt who knows how to pass a common guard I keep going up against, especially with one particular gym friend, a very skilled new purple belt. I absorbed a LOT of info this evening, but while my brain is working hard, my body is well-rested, because it was all drilling and no live rolls.

Tomorrow I'm going to aim for two back-to-back classes. Wish me luck. It'll be tough.
    Very true with us being online friends. Most of my social life is online so the lines nowadays aren't so much a separation of real versus online. Agreed. I even finally met someone in person that I'd known online for 10+ years a couple of months ago. It was fun.

Hopefully you got some food to enjoy. Good luck tomorrow with the back to back classes. Unless I get called in somewhere I'm hoping to walk to the gym for lifting and cardio.
    Gym Max: 229/126/305
    Meet Max: 1st Meet 198/115/248
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281
    Goals: 235/135/315

Just Strong Ambassador
    http://juststrong.com/discount/ambwil10

Originally Posted by Fiction2Fitness View Post
    Very true with us being online friends. Most of my social life is online so the lines nowadays aren't so much a separation of real versus online. Agreed. I even finally met someone in person that I'd known online for 10+ years a couple of months ago. It was fun.

Hopefully you got some food to enjoy. Good luck tomorrow with the back to back classes. Unless I get called in somewhere I'm hoping to walk to the gym for lifting and cardio.
    FRIEND! Friend friend friend

I hope your lifting + cardio went well.

Two classes back-to-back were insane today. The first one was OK, just some standard RNC setups from the back (on the good and bad side), but then the second nogi class was absolutely nuts. Marcos sat us down and said "Look, we have four guys preparing for the ADCCs [biiiiig grappling event] and it's my job to get you in shape for that... don't hate me." We then proceeded to do a minute straight of pushups (I'll be honest, I took a break at 30 seconds after I had done about 20 pushups, then forced myself to finish), a minute of sprawls, a minute of arm drags, gave each other piggyback rides holding on only with our arms, and then AFTER class had to do 3 x 30 seconds each of squats and sideways walking in stance. Happily I was very good at the squats and sideways walks since I've been doing that in PT. But I still have to work on my pushups. Then we had live rounds starting from feet --> guard pull. It was nogi so nice to practice nogi guard pulls but I was so tempted to go for takedowns.

BJJ--2 hours

Level 2 gi
    Back take to RNC
    On the "good side" (with your arm beneath them), catch the top hand, holding it right over the 5th metacarpal, turn it outward, and stuff under your leg. Push their other hand fingers off of yours, then catch this hand with both of yours. Pull it across their body to pull their shoulder away from the ground. Then pull their forehead back and get your other hand under their chin. RNC or short choke.
    On the "bad side," hold their hand as if about to gift wrap. Grab the other hand and push it under your leg. Work the blade of your hand (fingers JUST curled, no fist) under their chin. Push off of your leg to move them to the other side in order to finish with your other hand, as before.

Live drills from back 4 x 2:30
    Regular training 3 x 5:00

Some pretty good rolls, got to work on my lasso and spider since that was part of the warmup sequence; sadly did not use any of the guard passes I worked yesterday successfully, though I really almost made it with the long step pass. I DID use the sweep from closed guard (threatening omoplata) to reverse someone into mount and that was cool. My friend footlocked me, which he has not done before. Good job friend.

Advanced 1 nogi
    Insane warmup sequence (pushups, piggyback carries, arm drags, sprawls etc.) and then live training, followed by squats/sideways walks x 3
    Live training from guard pull
    Managed some good guard pulls to overhead sweeps. Someone came up on a single and I came down in guillotine. Another time, a guy TRIED to guillotine me and I responded with a von flue, and interestingly he swept me once my weight tipped too far forward--must remember that. I was able to bridge sweep a black belt who was in side control, earning me a "good job." I was also again able to sit out and reverse sweep someone into mount from an unsuccessful hip bump sweep from closed guard. And I got a kimura from bottom closed guard, as well as a random wrist lock as a guy was trying to escape a near arm bar. That was my first wrist lock in training. I also took someone's back but could not finish the choke.

I was very tired afterwards but had stayed on top of fueling so I don't feel as drained as I used to let myself get. I used to consume radically too few carbs in particular and would crash after long workouts like today's, but now I feel pretty good.
    --Hubert Humphrey

TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    *comes off knee injury;

Already hitting two classes b2b.

Mirin'

Kimura is a great lock, and it's awesome that you managed to slip one in. Good work on sweeping the black belt

Every time I come in here it makes me want to be ready to go back to BJJ, but I'm genuinely worried that I will hurt my shoulder again lmao If I'm feeling 85% during the week next week I'll return
    Ubermensch: TypeNirvash's Journey To Physical and Mental Fortitude
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177236131

Originally Posted by TypeNirvash View Post
    *comes off knee injury;

Already hitting two classes b2b.

Mirin'

Kimura is a great lock, and it's awesome that you managed to slip one in. Good work on sweeping the black belt

Every time I come in here it makes me want to be ready to go back to BJJ, but I'm genuinely worried that I will hurt my shoulder again lmao If I'm feeling 85% during the week next week I'll return
    BJJ will always be there. Take your time. I am NOT the best example of being careful, though I have avoided training live 2 days in a row. You might try coming back just to drill loves or flow roll, but not go live? I'm lucky in that my knee is feeling good, but I still took yesterday and today off BJJ. We are at my friend's house in the Hamptons so I did hit his gym for a quick workout this morning:

Plank 1 min
    Walk sit 1 min
    Dead bug x 10
    Dead bug 10lb each hand x 10
    Dead bug hold x 45s each
    Hollow hold 30s
    Plank bird dog x 10
    Parallel grip pushups 5 x 5
    Pullups 1 x 5
    Chinups 4 x 1, 2 x 2
    Rows 22.5lb 3 x 10
    OHP alternating arm 22.5lb 3 x 8
    Headstand 3 x 45s
    Swiss ball balance 3 x 45s

My first pullup!! With a thick bar, no less.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0JUBt6n...=1qs7hwo168jdw

As you can see I do NOT have visible abs. But I'm sure now I'm back to BJJ I will lean out.
    --Hubert Humphrey