Page 44 of 72 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 2136

Thread: Laser Focus

phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yes, back to normal.

I have to say I love reading about your BJJ. The physicality involved must just feel great, just getting in there and grappling with people. I live vicariously through you
    *Trying to stay sane and get back to avi status.

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by phoenix4444 View Post
    I have to say I love reading about your BJJ. The physicality involved must just feel great, just getting in there and grappling with people. I live vicariously through you
    THIS, every time I go to the grocery store I fantasize about kicking someone and dropping them in produce while I bludgeon them with cantaloupes. But in reality I'd probably trip over my own feet and crack my face open on the fruit scale.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    THIS, every time I go to the grocery store I fantasize about kicking someone and dropping them in produce while I bludgeon them with cantaloupes. But in reality I'd probably trip over my own feet and crack my face open on the fruit scale.
    Haha. My clumsy arse feels the same way.

sadly, life is a marathon shesprints's Avatar
    shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It is an insanely good outlet for aggression srs. Also anxiety. I feel so much calmer after a hard rolling session. I was just telling my friend today I think we humans need non-sexual physical contact too.

Haha. My clumsy arse feels the same way.
    You can't be as clumsy as some of the people who start there srs.

Good training today. Felt better too. I mean, I was tired af after yesterday but I got myself together. The gym was crowded today so for the advanced class we did "shark tank" where we grouped up in 4s. One person is in the middle and stays there while the other 3 rotate in. It's to train stamina and it's really fun.

BJJ--2 hours
    Level 1 gi
    Step in to body lock
    Body lock to walk forward into takedown by bending them back and stepping over into mount
    Hip bump sweep "upa" make sure to bridge a lot to throw them forward then break their gi grip
    Escape closed guard to guard pass (arm around their far leg and overhook on near side)

Advanced 1 gi
    Shark tank 2 min rounds w 4 people

Tough instructor told me "really good training"!

YAY
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    SUCH A GOOD DAY TODAY. The same instructor was there and was like "You're training a lot lately!" and I was like "Is it too much, because I haven't been lifting" and he said, "No, I only lift weights if I have the energy after jiu jitsu or on an off day... and you're plenty strong anyway, so if you want to focus on jiu jitsu, just do that." I felt so good about that.

Plus, extra good thing: some women were visiting. One was a purple belt who asked me how long I had been training and when I said 6 months was like "What??? Well, I guess the teachers here really are good. I can't imagine what you'll be like in a year." And then when we rolled more she said I was the strongest female white belt she had ever met (in 5 years of training).

I was like... fuk yeah. Ego boosted. Plus I felt so great that I was representing our gym well to visitors.

BJJ--1 hour
    Level 2 nogi
    Escape from mount with framing arms. Keeo elbows tight. Hip escape and extend bottom leg to get half guard. Keep your legs inside theirs!!! If they move too far up see if you can hip bump sweep them instead.

6 x 2:30 positional sparring
    5 min regular training

I kept up with women who were higher belts and that's the best. They also gave me some really good tips that I'll keep putting into play. I absolutely love how the women help each other out whenever we roll together. I want to do that for other newer BJJers when I get my belt promotions in the next few years.
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

Powered by Reese's Puffs anandagirl's Avatar
    anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah!!! Ego boost complete!
    Team Ogre Mascot

IG: anandagirl
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/therealanandagirl
    Accountability Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171177361

Originally Posted by anandagirl View Post
    Yeah!!! Ego boost complete!
    Haha and it's a good thing too, because it turns out one of the rolls I did yesterday tweaked my back. I got a massage but then spent most of today in quite a bit of pain and grumpy as a consequence. It was never SO bad I wasn't functional, but it was pretty twingey, so that I feel I didn't do my very best in jiu jitsu today.

... You might say, well, Sam, why did you have to go to BJJ if you were in pain?

And I would answer you that I am a crazy person. And also that I hate to miss takedowns.

BJJ--2 hours

Level 1 gi
    Drills recovering guard including bridge then spin from north south
    Lapel and wrist hold and push them back until you can drop for a single leg
    Run the pipe by stepping in and squat slash pull at same time note keeps hands high up on thigh!
    Then pass guard and wind up in half guard
    Escape from half guard by grabbing lapel with underhook arm and switching sides with your head
    At the same time overhook the other arm and flatten yourself out with your legs in frog position
    Do this until you can bring knee up to elbow and then push down on their lower knee to free your other leg
    Finally, prepare to arm bar far side (underhooked) arm by stepping around them. Put your foot against their scapula and swing other over their head to arm bar.

Wrestling for jiu jitsu
    Two on one takedowns
    Push elbow to prompt collar tie then grab arm two on one and move so you're hip to hip
    1. Donkey kick their near leg then put foot behind far leg and ankle pick that ankle for takedown.
    2. Key in lock hold (like kimura on the arm) and yank them by you then take back
    3. Key in lock to sacrifice roll them over you
    4. They push at your head from 2 on 1 and you snake top arm over their top arm to control it, slip out underneath and drop to double leg.

I did wind up learning many things, as you can see, and probably my bad attitude from pain is making me think I did worse than I did just because I was so uncomfortable. I AM taking tomorrow off BJJ entirely and am putting Tiger Balm on my back. It's just the one side right under or around the ribcage that got tweaked and spasms when I move in certain ways, especially when I pull something heavy with my left arm. It may be the lat attachment, given that.
    --Hubert Humphrey

anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by shesprints View Post
    ... You might say, well, Sam, why did you have to go to BJJ if you were in pain?

And I would answer you that I am a crazy person. And also that I hate to miss takedowns.
    Hahahaha! But I hope you feel better soon
    Team Ogre Mascot

Accountability Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171177361

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I did wind up learning many things, as you can see, and probably my bad attitude from pain is making me think I did worse than I did just because I was so uncomfortable. I AM taking tomorrow off BJJ entirely and am putting Tiger Balm on my back. It's just the one side right under or around the ribcage that got tweaked and spasms when I move in certain ways, especially when I pull something heavy with my left arm. It may be the lat attachment, given that.
    Got arnica? That has magical healing powers, srs, I've slathered that in some weird places and it tends to fix a lot. I hope you feel better soon brahette!
    Current PRs:

*Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

Hahahaha! But I hope you feel better soon
    I DO! YAY

Got arnica? That has magical healing powers, srs, I've slathered that in some weird places and it tends to fix a lot. I hope you feel better soon brahette!
    I've been using IcyHot and Tiger Balm and it's worked well I'm glad I took yesterday off and slept a lot, because today I did great in BJJ.

Sadly, it seems like EVERYONE I know is getting injured. First my bro needed ACL/MCL surgery, then my mom fell and broke her foot and then learned she has low bone density , and now my girlfriend has a stress fracture in her foot from marathon training. Lame. I'm sad for her.
    6 weeks recovery time.

At least I'm doing better.

BJJ--2 hours

Level 2 gi
    Guard pass with leg switch
    Side control defense by turtling and rolling and counter to that

Live rounds

Advanced 1 nogi
    Pressure pass sliding over knee after pummeling in for under and overhook
    Counter to half guard escape by extending far arm under their post arm to flatten them out, then moving so hip is up and cutting far knee ACRoSs over their body to get back side control

5 x 5 min live rounds
    Got a blue belt with arm bar and used lots of wrestling!

It's pretty cool that in nogi I can go head to head with blue belts and come out OK. The woman I sparred with said she thinks it's all the wrestling I do paying off, and I guess that's true. I have an instinct for wanting to be on top, and without gi grips it seems that's a better thing to do.
    --Hubert Humphrey

My back is still feeling better. Yay. I do have some PMS fatigue/mood weirdness, but that's nothing compared to being either sick or injured.

I did really well in nogi class again today (I was beating a two-year male student fairly handily, which surprised both of us) but less well in gi. I think I need to be patient with gi jiu jitsu and spend more time learning about grips. Basically, jiu jitsu in the gi moves more slowly and is more technical, whereas in nogi the slipperiness and speed mean you can make some mistakes and still recover. In gi, a mistake can mean getting strangled really quickly with your own collar.

If anyone is curious here's a cool analysis:

https://www.bjjee.com/articles/john-...-gi-jiu-jitsu/

"he traditionalists have a strong point with regards gi training being more desirable for the majority of students (not all students) insofar as overcoming the effects of increased friction, gripping power and threat of strangles will force them to adopt sound movement and postural habits whilst helping to keep the matches at a pace that does not exceed their ability to apply moves and concepts they are trying to learn rather than desperately resort to instinct. However, I believe that no gi training creates a higher level of technique in offensive moves. It forces students to apply submissions and pins with perfect form or slippery opponents will simply pull out. Students cannot rely on the artificial friction and grips of the gi to make submissions and pins work but must instead use perfect body placement."

Basically, I think the reason I prefer no gi is that I think very offensively, not very defensively (I pay more attention to being on top and getting in attacks rather than guarding against them). I don't think this is a bad instinct to have in what is after all a fighting sport, but I am trying to focus on defense and position more too.

BJJ--2 hours
    Level 2 nogi
    Crucifix arm bar from seatbelt (put near leg over their arm while you grab their far arm two on one on forearm. Then pull them back over you as you roll back. Keep them high up on you and cross pegs over their wrist to pull them tight and get arm bar.)
    Alternative: keeping their arm between your legs, sink the choke with your arm.

This is what it looks like in video:

4 x 3 min positional rounds
    2 x 5 min regular
    Got arm bar twice

Advanced 1 to
    No drill just open mat
    Learned to squeeze opponent's captive single leg between mine when they are in bottom half to prevent them getting out!

A black belt instructor rolled with me during the last open mat. I did sit out some of the rounds of the advanced class just because it was really crowded with people preparing for the competition tomorrow. I think I'm going to go watch at least part of it, because many people from our gym are competing.
    Last edited by shesprints; 07-13-2018 at 05:13 PM.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Sadly, it seems like EVERYONE I know is getting injured. First my bro needed ACL/MCL surgery, then my mom fell and broke her foot and then learned she has low bone density , and now my girlfriend has a stress fracture in her foot from marathon training. Lame. I'm sad for her.
    6 weeks recovery time.

At least I'm doing better.
    Glad you're feeling better but man that sucks for all those people getting injured. I've heard so much about people getting stress fractures running. I don't even understand how that happens (unless somebody went out and ran 20 miles having never run before, but that's not the case for people already training for specific long races.) The body is fukking weird man.
    Current PRs:

Glad you're feeling better but man that sucks for all those people getting injured. I've heard so much about people getting stress fractures running. I don't even understand how that happens (unless somebody went out and ran 20 miles having never run before, but that's not the case for people already training for specific long races.) The body is fukking weird man.
    I VERY MUCH hope that you don't learn through personal experience. I can tell you that it can happen even to runners who train sensibly and have running backgrounds. In my case it was simply because I have malformed hip sockets that resulted in three femoral neck stress fractures. I think my girlfriend had some shoe fit issues, which can exacerbate pressure on the foot. The best thing I've found is to stop running if you feel pain. Just... stop. If you keep that in mind you'll do great.

I also think injuries happen when you push really hard for performance. In that case it really is just a toss-up between your goals and what you'll sacrifice to get there.

That was something I talked about yesterday at the BJJ tournament, actually. First of all, I went! It was so interesting! Highlights:

1. A brown belt woman from our gym submitted her opponent within thirty seconds and showed me her method today.
    2. One of our blue belt women won her division AND the absolute (all weights all belts) division as well. She won her first match 18-0 AND got her opponent in a kimura but the other woman later claimed she didn't tap? Not like the match was in question anyway, but it seemed like bad form to me.
    3. One of our guys won 16-0 which was also cool.
    4. A heavyweight pitched her opponent across the mat and all the way through the scorers' table so she slammed her head on the concrete. She turned out OK. But then later on a heavyweight man did the same thing with his opponent--on the same mat, too. It must be that the table was a little too close or oriented poorly. I think no one was seriously hurt, which is good.

Anyway, I also had a convo with a guy from our gym who was talking about how he doesn't compete anymore because some people will do anything to win, including break your arm or cause other injury because they just aren't taking care with submissions. That was food for thought.

The gym was closed yesterday due to the competition (all the coaches were there) but everyone was back today and I went to two classes before handling stuff with my grandmother and chores. I got to see my girlfriend last night after the comp, which was good because I felt very strung out from having socialized with people all day whom I really only knew from BJJ. That can be hard, being around people who are really in a sense just superficial acquaintances, but who are ALSO important fixtures in your life/fave hobby. Whew. It was good after that to be with someone I trusted and could relax with.

So. Today!

BJJ--2 hours

Level 1 gi
    Open guard recovery drills
    Closed guard to straight arm/knee squeeze arm bar

Advanced 1 gi
    2 x 5 min drills (repeated straight arm arm bar or omoplata; partner did omoplata from spider)
    Reverse de la Riva against knee cut to overhead sweep attempt
    Version 2: grab own leg under their trapped knee and grab their far knee, pull into deep half and then come up and use shoulder pressure plus grips to pass their legs

4 x 5 min regular rounds
    Got a couple of arm bars and worked on guard retention

I think this visiting blue belt woman was a little too nice to me in our roll and let me get position etc., but also whatever, who cares.

This week is going to be HOT so I'm going to continue focusing on BJJ rather than running. I am finding that it's a lot easier to be sharp for live rounds when I haven't done cardio.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Registered User Fiction2Fitness's Avatar
    Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The competition sounds very interesting along with providing some good food for thought. True on the points as to what decisions some people make in such regards.

However, I'm still amazed by things like how my feet and shins hurt from work despite 5+ years working where I stand on my feet around 8 hours 4-6 days a week depending on the schedule.
    Gym Max: 229/126/305
    Meet Max: 1st Meet 198/115/248
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281
    Goals: 235/135/315

Just Strong Ambassador
    http://juststrong.com/discount/ambwil10

Ouch at all the injuries - the ones on accident and the ones inflicted by others!
    Team Ogre Mascot

Originally Posted by Fiction2Fitness View Post
    The competition sounds very interesting along with providing some good food for thought. True on the points as to what decisions some people make in such regards.

However, I'm still amazed by things like how my feet and shins hurt from work despite 5+ years working where I stand on my feet around 8 hours 4-6 days a week depending on the schedule.
    I think retail work or any work where you have to stand is more punishing than athletics, tbh. No variety of movement. We weren't designed to stand upright on hard surfaces.

Ouch at all the injuries - the ones on accident and the ones inflicted by others!
    LOL it is a combat sport after all. Sometimes the point is to try to make the other person feel enough pain that they have to move or tap just from that.

Good training today even though it's hot as chit and also the first day of my period

BJJ--2+ hours
    Before class, drilled with a nice brown belt man. We practiced the reverse de la Riva to sweep to x guard that we did yesterday.

Level 2 nogi
    Seatbelt to kimura grip on arm and give up their head. Then switch out leg position, frame their head with their own arm, and sit back switching to arm bar

6 x 2:30 positional start
    2 x 5 min regular training
    Got one crucifix arm bar against a white belt guy

Advanced 1 gi
    Marcelo lesson!!!
    Seatbelt to bow and arrow choke note sit up to finish and make sure to underhand grip their leg
    Seatbelt to RNC or s grip choke note you can put leg over far arm instead of near one (break their grip by pulling arm back fast then shove arm down and put in leg)

Training 5 min regular + 1:30 each taking back
    Did OK took on mostly bigger opponents, got someone with the reverse de la Riva I was practicing earlier!

People were really kind and friendly to me today--the gym regulars I mean--I think because I went to the competition to watch them. That's nice. I especially appreciated the guy drilling with me before the class.

I sitll need to work on tensing up and muscling instead of using technique. It happens more when I'm with higher belts whose skill I'm intimidated by. I am really proud that I hit a reverse de la Riva during a roll since I just learned it, and also proud about the crucifix choke we just learned too. That one really surprised the guy I did it to and definitely made him tap for real.

This is the bow and arrow choke we learned:

Whew. Long day. Just got back from my girlfriend's place and have to work early tomorrow so bedtime for me. (Things are still going really well for us! Yay!).
    --Hubert Humphrey

IT WAS SO HOT AND MISERABLE TODAY I just focused on surviving jiu jitsu without dying.

so my notes may not be coherent as I was suffering heat death of the brain

BJJ--2 hours
    Level 1 gi
    Butterfly sweeps
    Start from closed guard, break posture, walk legs down, hook inside ankles to stretch them out, creating space for butterfly hooks
    Sit up and then fall toward the side of captured arm
    That leg goes between theirs while your other foot hooks and lifts over; use bottom leg to push off
    If they post that leg, use the bottom non hooking leg to kick it out instead.
    We also did arm bar if they grab behind your head while you have them in closes guard. Put one arm up over theirs onto their shoulder and spin toward it especially using one leg to bite behind shoulder and push them in opposite direction.

Wrestling for BJJ
    Single leg defense
    Drill against wall posting one hand and dropping one to the floor in front of the leg you pull back
    Line of defense: head hands forearms hips "tricks"
    CIRCLE A LOT either toward the to push the shot or away to escape it
    If they shoot a single, leg goes back with hand in front, other hand post to shoulder
    If possible reshoot as they recover from their shot
    Shot/reshot drill
    4 x 3 min live rounds shot attempts points for locking hands

also I had a terrible dream last night that I cheated on my girlfriend and then most of the dream was me agonizing over whether or not to tell her (and deciding I had to be honest) it felt very real but I would never cheat because I have ETHICS so moot point.
    --Hubert Humphrey

also I had a terrible dream last night that I cheated on my girlfriend and then most of the dream was me agonizing over whether or not to tell her (and deciding I had to be honest) it felt very real but I would never cheat because I have ETHICS so moot point.
    You need some melatonin, srs, I have awesome dreams on that. Sometimes I figure out that I'm IN a dream when I'm taking that. Most of my dreams involve zombies in some form so I'll gleefully run over to Home Depot, buy an axe, and have fun chopping zombie heads off in the parking lot. Also there was a cool dream with this HUGE beer waterslide on a mountain!
    Current PRs:

You need some melatonin, srs, I have awesome dreams on that. Sometimes I figure out that I'm IN a dream when I'm taking that. Most of my dreams involve zombies in some form so I'll gleefully run over to Home Depot, buy an axe, and have fun chopping zombie heads off in the parking lot. Also there was a cool dream with this HUGE beer waterslide on a mountain!
    But my dreams are usually not good! Ah no!

So I did BJJ today again and it was less hot and miserable, whee! ALso, here is a video of the instructor I would most like to be like showing a technique I'm learning:

I think the gym knows now that I'm serious so they're paying more attention to me. It's nice. I still want to work on smoothing out my technique a lot instead of spazzing and using brute force and speed all the time.

BJJ--1 hour
    Advanced 1 nogi
    Escape from mount II: return to framing and wiggling hips up
    Then fight off their foot hooks and bridge toward the side where they don't have your head to get half guard.

4 x 5 min rounds

Half guard work after class
    Focus on bottom leg hook and get knee shield
    Get down onto shoulder and frame with hands as they press forward, while protecting neck
    Replace knee shield with underhook which should be low to their opposite hip and elbow in
    Come up onto your elbow
    Sweep their leg with your top leg(?) And drive into them (also grab their bottom foot?)

Over under legs
    First of all make sure to catch their left foot between your legs so they can't triangle you. Then overhook their leg tightly. Walk to your left and shove their knee down between your legs. Then and only then walk back to the right with a lot of shoulder pressure.
    Get their head with left hand.
    Bring your right knee up to your right elbow and while they're curled up, escape that right hand.
    Move to side control.

So yeah, an instructor stayed after class to teach me his style of doing this half guard thing, and I appreciate it VERY much.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Good days and bad days--I think I'm going to run before BJJ tomorrow and only do 1 hour because my anxiety has been bad, and my theory is it's because I'm only doing BJJ and not running. I'm not 100% sure, though, because of course BJJ is pretty strenuous as well, but something about running specifically does seem to help me stay calm. Meh, we'll see how I feel tomorrow and how the weather is. Another reason I haven't been running is the heat.

BJJ--2 hours

Level 2 gi
    Stack pass
    Underhook legs
    Drag them into your lap
    Bring them up then tip them way to the side and pass head through
    Use knee inside elbow to break their sleeve grip
    Then circle toward their head to break other sleeve grip

2 x 1 min positional start
    Regular rolling

Advanced 1 nogi
    Granby roll between someone's legs and they pass by stopping one leg and circling around
    6 x 5 min rounds

Tough day. Tried passing from top half guard but only got a few.

I think I'm also simply fatigued.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Yeah, I think I'm just really tired? lots of days in a row of BJJ, feeling beat up. So I did not run today and just did 1 class and it felt like plenty tbh. I can relax the rest of the day, though.

BJJ--1 hour
    (though I also came early to drill with an acquaintance)
    Level 2 nogi
    Escape from mount v3: bridge to free arm by creating space!!

6 x 2:30 positional drill
    5 min regular training

Before class did 15 min practice with side control
    Frame frame frame!
    Put top arm up against their neck!
    Then quickly sit up and underhook while hip escaping and getting your head out of reach of headlock
    Then depending on their reaction
    1. Free bottom leg come up and double leg takedown if they stay based on knees or
    2. If they get up, dive to underhook other leg and start setting up for technical standup aka basically single leg takedown. First bring in bottom knee to block far leg. Then switch to top foot. Technical standup and drive.

I have a love/hate relationship with classes that have a very single focus. I love them because they teach a specific skill very well, and I hate them because I get bored. I think everyone feels this way.

But glad I'm continuing to improve the half guard situation!
    --Hubert Humphrey

So one drawback to class yesterday is that according to one of my training partners that technique works best against lighter people. Against heavier ones hip bump sweep is a better habitual response.

Today I got lucky and had a brown belt ask me to drill so I did that instead of level 1 class. It was great to practice a few things over and over.

Drilling 1 hour
    Closed guard sweep: catch their wrist, break their posture with legs, and feed wrist to other hand behind their head. Underhook their leg. Open your legs and rock forcibly to roll them over, first with far leg extended and then curl it under you to sit up.

Half guard same as last time focus on underhook deep across theor hips first then dive for underhook leg. Extend their far leg by hooking with your foot underneath and then come up with technical stand up behind them.

Open mat 1 hour
    9 x 5 min rolls
    Got the closed guard and half guard sweeps I was working on! Got collar choke from bottom closed guard and took back a few times. Even got bow and arrow choke which we just learned.

Now I have a farmer's market date with the gf. Very Basic Gay of us lol.
    --Hubert Humphrey

LMAO, squeezing nectarines and ogling cantaloupes, good times.
    Current PRs:

Registered User Fiction2Fitness's Avatar
    Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    oo la la

I haven't been to one in many months and by that I mean, I went once many months ago. lol There is one on Sundays in Hollywood near where I used to work. It was kinda nice but on lunch break very limited. Really should go again some time.
    Gym Max: 229/126/305
    Meet Max: 1st Meet 198/115/248
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281
    Goals: 235/135/315

Just Strong Ambassador
    http://juststrong.com/discount/ambwil10

That sounds like a fabulous date. What is better than cruising a outdoor market on a summers day with someone you care about? Well there are a few things

LMAO, squeezing nectarines and ogling cantaloupes, good times.
    actually the cutest thing that happened there was at the ostrich farm booth. The table was full of chewing bones and pigs' ears for dogs, and this dog was so happy trying to jump up on the table, so the lady at the booth helped the dog up there so he could sit with the bones. He was well-behaved and didn't even try to take any, just wanted to like, be there lmao. She fed him some treats too.

Originally Posted by Fiction2Fitness View Post
    oo la la

I haven't been to one in many months and by that I mean, I went once many months ago. lol There is one on Sundays in Hollywood near where I used to work. It was kinda nice but on lunch break very limited. Really should go again some time.
    Ah man, California fruit tho! I went to a farmer's market when I was there earlier this year and all the produce was just SO GOOD, much better than East Coast.

That sounds like a fabulous date. What is better than cruising a outdoor market on a summers day with someone you care about? Well there are a few things
    Loool we did those later, after we got back to my place and drank some of the moonshine we'd bought there (it was apple pie flavored! it tasted exactly like apple pie, too). We also got these interesting thin broc**** stems (kind of like Chinese broc**** but even thinner? they were great), white beets which we roasted, ostrich sausages, and baby strawberries. It made for a very good meal of which I think you'd approve. I'm so glad my gf is also a foodie.

Anyway, today was a great jiu jitsu day. In the first class I rolled with a newer woman and got to show her some stuff as well as work on my (weak) gi chokes. Then the second class was challenging but the instructor stopped by to help explain and I'm going to try drilling the stuff he showed us later on because it was very interesting. Some of it was based on a seminar Demian Maia gave yesterday that I missed so I could have a romantic life. I do kinda wish I had gone--oh well, next time. Some of my friends showed me stuff they'd been working on.

Also, after class I had a really good talk with the women in the locker room about what to do if a guy is creepy. Apparently, you really should report it to the black belt instructors so they can talk to him; some men just get barred from rolling with women entirely. The women were telling me that some men will visit the academy and clearly just roll with women because they either a. get off on being beat up by a woman or b. more disturbingly get off on beating women up. Not super cool. So, good to know others are looking out for it and I can speak up if something happens like it did that one time a few months ago.

Anyway!

BJJ--2 hours
    Level 1 gi
    Leg pummeling drill when partner underhooks leg to pass
    Break back clinch and circle to td
    Side control to mount key: extend their arms by walking yours up under theirs
    Mount to cross choke (loosen gi first them slide hand deep then under hand across at a right angle and slide down, lean head down on top arm side. If they block bottom arm catch blocking hand under knee and switch to overhand grip on that side)

Advanced 1
    Rolling back take
    Twister hook
    (From quarter guard hook feet around their top leg and put your torso the the other side. Then either roll across and trap other leg to come up on their back, or walk their leg forward cranking knee so they push themselves into turtle. Then dive across back to get underhook and knee in to take back).
    3 x 5 min, 1 x 3 min live roll
    Practiced taking back and successfully escaped side control a few times by getting under them. Need to work on technical stand to single leg finish.

Need to drill the advanced class move. Very hard plus my partner was also a white belt and struggled with it.

This is a close approximation of the move:

--Hubert Humphrey

Today was basically a day off :P because I only went to drill class. No cardio or anything but technique practice, good because I'm mega ultra TIRED. Just like, buzzed and can't sleep tired, likely from too much high-intensity stuff over a couple of days and not enough sleep. HOPE I can get some tonight because I was just about nodding off while tutoring today.

I also will take a full day off on Wednesday so there's that. It's date night tho so will probably be up late anyhow.

BJJ--drill class
    1 hour switching off 5 min each practicing technique
    Half guard knee shield to butterfly sweep
    Cues:
    Frame SHOULDER and arm
    come up in one motion to grab belt kicking leg to open space
    Also keep hold of their gi sleeve and arm
    Hip escape just a little to get hooks in
    Stay tight chest to chest and hooks in low on thigh
    Then sweep toward captured arm while staying very tight to them

It was like this, but actually catching the opposite arm instead of feeding the lapel and sweeping to that side.

on a bummer note, my grandmother has canceled ALL the checks we used to pay her bills so we've had to deal with repaying bills and trying to keep up with everything she changes in her paranoia. It sucks because I had withdrawn my own money to give to her and then taken her check to repay myself and now it's like, she just... not only took my money but ALSO suspects me of stealing from her (wtf). My mom is going to give me the money I gave my grandmother but now my mom is out a few hundred dollars??? who knows. We're TRYING to get her a higher level of care because she really is losing it but the services people say she seems fine when they talk to her, so I don't know if they have a poor review process or what. We're figuring it out.
    Last edited by shesprints; 07-24-2018 at 04:53 AM.
    --Hubert Humphrey

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sympathize with your grandmother situation—going through this with a 90-year-old relative. Continuing best wishes for your workouts, bjj, and relationship.
    At age 64, I've exceeded all my prior PRs. Not “over the hill” yet. :)

My workout journal is here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176385621

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Catching up a bit! So taking some time off lifting it seems? More energy for BJJ then! If that's your passion, then that's where your effort should be going.
    Plus, extra good thing: some women were visiting. One was a purple belt who asked me how long I had been training and when I said 6 months was like "What??? Well, I guess the teachers here really are good. I can't imagine what you'll be like in a year." And then when we rolled more she said I was the strongest female white belt she had ever met (in 5 years of training).

I was like... fuk yeah. Ego boosted. Plus I felt so great that I was representing our gym well to visitors.
    Woo! That's seriously awesome.

I have quite a few zombie dreams, not as much as I used to though. More often then that I was running from them, but never actually saw any. lol
    Loool we did those later, after we got back to my place and drank some of the moonshine we'd bought there (it was apple pie flavored! it tasted exactly like apple pie, too). We also got these interesting thin broc**** stems (kind of like Chinese broc**** but even thinner? they were great), white beets which we roasted, ostrich sausages, and baby strawberries. It made for a very good meal of which I think you'd approve. I'm so glad my gf is also a foodie.
    Glad to hear things are still going well with the gf! Fellow foodie = keeper.
    And was it brokolini? They're like long thin brockoli's, and I've been wanting to try them.

on a bummer note, my grandmother has canceled ALL the checks we used to pay her bills so we've had to deal with repaying bills and trying to keep up with everything she changes in her paranoia. It sucks because I had withdrawn my own money to give to her and then taken her check to repay myself and now it's like, she just... not only took my money but ALSO suspects me of stealing from her (wtf). My mom is going to give me the money I gave my grandmother but now my mom is out a few hundred dollars??? who knows. We're TRYING to get her a higher level of care because she really is losing it but the services people say she seems fine when they talk to her, so I don't know if they have a poor review process or what. We're figuring it out.
    I'm sorry to hear that. Are the services people just really really picky about who's sick enough? It sounds like she needs the extra help, and attention.
    Last edited by LunaLifts; 07-24-2018 at 06:16 AM.
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

Originally Posted by HomeGymChains View Post
    Sympathize with your grandmother situation—going through this with a 90-year-old relative. Continuing best wishes for your workouts, bjj, and relationship.
    Thanks bro. It is not an easy time, because she makes helping her extremely unpleasant (compared to my other grandparents, who were very ill toward the end of their lives but were always gracious and kind to us, not paranoid and mean). I don't really want my last memories of my grandmother to be of her screaming at my mom that my mom is stealing from her, you know?

At least BJJ and relationship are good. Hope you are too. Thanks for stopping by.

Originally Posted by LunaLifts View Post
    Catching up a bit! So taking some time off lifting it seems? More energy for BJJ then! If that's your passion, then that's where your effort should be going.

Woo! That's seriously awesome.

I have quite a few zombie dreams, not as much as I used to though. More often then that I was running from them, but never actually saw any. lol

Glad to hear things are still going well with the gf! Fellow foodie = keeper.
    And was it brokolini? They're like long thin brockoli's, and I've been wanting to try them.

I'm sorry to hear that. Are the services people just really really picky about who's sick enough? It sounds like she needs the extra help, and attention.
    Haha yeah, I AM taking time off lifting mostly because I want to be immersed in BJJ, but I do miss it. My deadlifting callouses, a permanent fixture on my hands for YEARS, are even starting to disappear. WHAT? WHAT.

Re: the vegetable. Broc****ni is just baby broc****, so more tender and mild in flavor. You should try it--it's very good. But the one I got was different. No flower/crown. I actually think it was just the long leaves that grow at the base of the broc**** flower itself, if that makes sense. Kind of like kale almost. I'll go to the farmer's market again and ask.

It's great to see you! *waves* hope you've been well

OK so I woke up feeling mega droopy today, funny feeling in throat, almost worried I was getting sick again. Think I just need a day off pretty badly, so tomorrow it is. I did train today because it fit my schedule. And actually it was good training so I'm glad I went.

BJJ--2 hours

Level 2 gi
    Closed guard to break posture to hip bump sweep
    Closed guard to collar tie and fake sweep then swing leg up to armpit while they post to avoid the sweep and then lock triangle. Or omoplata.
    Closed guard defense: stand up and pop HIPS up with one hand on mid lapel abd one on hip at belt level. Stay upright as if deadlifting.

4 x 2 min from closed guard
    2 x 5 min regular

Advanced 1 nogi
    Single leg counter by posting hand on their shoulder and hopping away and then after creating space get guillotine and sit straight down. Move to your side and Marcelotine finish.

5 x 5 min rounds

Marcelo was there today and actually taught the second class himself. SO COOL. But! Ah! One of the visiting women I was rolling with got in trouble with him. He's the most mild-mannered, kind guy, but he actually stopped our roll to tell her (again, not in a mean way) that her makeup was getting all over the mats and she had to sit out until she could come back not wearing something that would cause problems. I knew makeup wasn't allowed (it's on the sign on the wall) but had never given it much thought, since I never wear any myself anyhow. Turns out the reason it caused a problem was that it got alllll the heck over the mats and we were all rolling around in purple and pink glitter. I guess that's not great? Or could be mistaken for blood? IDK. I hope she isn't too upset by the callout and comes back, I liked her.

On the bright side, one of my rolling partners (male) said I was really strong. I always enjoy hearing that, even if I am not lifting right now, my past habits are paying dividends in my current sport.
    Last edited by shesprints; 07-24-2018 at 05:00 PM.
    --Hubert Humphrey